• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In game advertising is going to be making a massive impact...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I was speaking with massive inc. today for a story I'm putting together on in-game advertising, and I learned a bunch of shit I didn't know.

In a nutshell, devs have special spots in games, like billboards, where ads would run. With massives's code inside the game, Xbox (or PC owners) with a persistant connection would have ads downloaded to these preset spots. Massive confirmed for me that Splinter Cell 3 will employ this technology.

Every game would have a default image that shipped with the game, in that spot. In case they don't have a broadband connection. If not a billboard it could be say, a texture of a brick wall that would have an ad on it when someone had bought that spot.

I was very skeptical when I called them, but their COO convinced me by the end of the call. There are these thresholds that ads need to meet before it counts as an impression. A specific amount of time onscreen, how big the ad is on screen in terms of screen percentage, the angle the ad is viewed at, etc.

They also gave the example of a movie studio running heavy videogame ad rotation on wednesday and thursday before their film opened on friday. Massive feels that this technology is going to fundamentally change the economics of the videogame industry, and become over a billion dollar advertising market.

This isn't something that's a year or two years away. The technology is in Mall Tycoon right now, and is going to be in about 15 big releases (like Splinter Cell) in 2005. When I began researching for the article I thought it would be a yawn piece, but I now see that it's hugely important, and represents a fundamental shift in the way publishers make money. Think about games being sold for $20, or given away, witht he publisher making it up in ad revenue. Before you say that that's insane, remember that network TV has been doing it for 50 years.

Very very soon pretty much every game is going to have dynamic advertising that will be different every time you load the game up. Think about the GTA game like that.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Seems like cool technology actually. I wonder what publishers will jump in other than Ubi.

Will such revenue keep smaller devs around/a float? Or is it at the publisher's discretion?

Christ, you know there's going to be one level of Splinter Cell 3 where Sam has to mantle across a lit billboard. Now this billboard can be different everytime we play the game!!

They could do some real 4th wall stuff with this, like adverstising the sequel to the game you're playing.

suikodan

It's not going to decrease the price of the game but I won't care much as long as I don't see something like

"This boss battle was brought to you by Colgate, Snake loves white teeth!"

GDJustin

My article is running tonight on GameDAILY Biz (http://biz.gamedaily.com), but it's not going to be particularly in depth. You can stick in in the references if you need another one by all means, but I don't know if it'll actually give you anything worthwhile for your article.

It's just a 750-1000 word overview of massive and the newfound ability for publishers to actually track how much these ads are actually viewed. Basically just a "hey, people should know this is out there" type of article.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The only thing surprising here is that it seems EA will not be the first to do this. They already went quite far with all the in house advertisings in Burnout 3.
Ho well, if it's not too intrusive and helps pay the next gen dev costs, I guess it could be ok. I just don't want to see the game camera angle to be changed so we get to see the billboards better or something.

GDJustin

DaCocoBrova said:
Seems like cool technology actually. I wonder what publishers will jump in other than Ubi.

Will such revenue keep smaller devs around/a float? Or is it at the publisher's discretion?

Although I would certainly assume that EA was on board, they actually weren't one of the companies she named. Activision and Ubi were the only two. And whoever publishes Mall Tycoon I suppose.

Soul4ger

I need to actually read EVERYTHING post in a thread, not just read the title and skip everything else.

I wouldn't be against it if it made prices a lot cheaper. If it was a $5 to $10 knock, I say just fogedabowtit.

GDJustin

ArcadeStickMonk said:
They could do some real 4th wall stuff with this, like adverstising the sequel to the game you're playing.

That's EXACTLY the kind of thing we're going to see happening. By the time the sequel is ready, there might not be as much demand for the ad space in the previous game, so BAM, a house ad for their own sequel takes it's place.

As for whoever was asking what publishers are going to jump in, I really truly believe that they ALL are. This stuff is a really big deal. It's the first time that in-game ads could be measured. Now that they CAN be measured, you'll see multi-million dollar buys from companies wanting to reach 19-34 year old males.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Common sense tells me only the 'big' titles will employ this tech since advertisers want to reach the biggest audiences.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
If only Online Gaming truly was a fad; they'd have no way to implement this without it.

IgeL

I'm all for in-game ads, if they make the industry better & more profitable.

However, I feel the ads should "fit" with the game... Sports games are a no-brainer but how would you advertise in a fantasy game (say, Sacred or Kult or whatever)? That actually requires some thinking...

Sadly this might not help the small developers (at least not in the beginning).

GDJustin

DaCocoBrova said:
Common sense tells me only the 'big' titles will employ this tech since advertisers want to reach the biggest audiences.

It doesn't really work that way. Advertisers pay for a set number of impressions, they way they pay for online ad views or 30 second TV spots. Massive's thresholds for how big an ad has to be on screen and what angle it has to be viewed at determines when an ad counts as an impression. So maybe... I dunno... Pepsi has a deal with UbiSoft for 10 million impressions in their games. Obviously most of them will come from UbiSoft's bigger releases, but those impressions are spread over their stable of titles, with their smaller titles still generating some of those ad views.

That was specifically said to me, but that's how I took it. Massive kept stressing their going to sell videogame ads the way that 30 second TV spots are sold.

^^^ or Minority Report

GDJustin said:
My article is running tonight on GameDAILY Biz (http://biz.gamedaily.com), but it's not going to be particularly in depth. You can stick in in the references if you need another one by all means, but I don't know if it'll actually give you anything worthwhile for your article.

It's just a 750-1000 word overview of massive and the newfound ability for publishers to actually track how much these ads are actually viewed. Basically just a "hey, people should know this is out there" type of article.

that's all I need. hell, 15 articles as long as yours will be enough to almost write the paper for me.

I've already seen some of this in Planetside, not too big a game, BTW.

After a long-awaited and much needed patch, that broke everything, hit, we all were overjoyed to have Pentium 4 ads added to every damn load screen.

Just brainstorming for evil, Nvidia could write a standard "Way it's meant to be played" .exe that downloads with new vid card drivers, so that every game in which Nvidia has paid to advertise in can tout the latest chipset.

From here, commercials inbetween games would probably be next, imagine fighting a boss then suddenly the firght is interrupted by a cornflakes commercial.

norinrad21 said:
From here, commercials inbetween games would probably be next, imagine fighting a boss then suddenly the firght is interrupted by a cornflakes commercial.
If the Phantom business model ever took off, you'd be right in a hurry!

Vark

"Think about games being sold for $20, or given away, witht he publisher making it up in ad revenue. Before you say that that's insane, remember that network TV has been doing it for 50 years."

psh, how about you still pay 50 to 60 bucks and the publisher keeps the ad rev :p

aoi tsuki

Not saying i'm the first, but i had thought of this concept years ago and i thought it had been implemented in more games by now.

i think the coolest type of advertising, at least to gamers, is car manufacturers allowing prototypes ans upcoming models of cars in games. It's more practical than dynamic ads, which many (myself included) will just overlook for the most part, unless the ads allow access to somehow demo the products they promote in some fashion.

GDJustin

TekunoRobby said:
I read the exact same thing in the Wall Street Journal this morning. Familiar with Kevin J. Delaney?

No, but I've been planning my article since last week. Stupid massive had to go and issue a press release this morning... makes it look like that's where I got the idea from :(

GDJustin

Kiriku said:
Pikmin 2 was PACKED with in-game advertising. Nintendo are ahead! :D

Read my post. Pikmin II won't have your pikmin collecting ticket stubs for Spiderman 3 in a couple years.

way more

Great! Hopefully Coke and Nike will buy dedicated servers for Counter-Strike, Unreal, Quake and so on. I won't mind if a couple of billboards were stuck up as long as I got good free service. I've always wondered why this didn't start sooner.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
GDJustin said:
Read my post. Pikmin II won't have your pikmin collecting ticket stubs for Spiderman 3 in a couple years.

Yeah, I did read your post and understand this it's something different. But still, Pikmin 2 is packed with in-game advertising, moreso than in any other game I've played. Just one of the things that caught my attention in the game, that's all.

Oh, and about this news...I think it's excellent as long as it doesn't mess up the game in any way.

snaildog

Hopefully companies won't start making more realistic games just so they can put advertising in. I mean surely we won't start seeing McDonalds ads in the Mushroom Kingdom, so Nintendo can't really do it at the moment.

Tain

I actually really like the idea. I doubt it'd ever get out of hand, and assuming the end result isn't terribly out of place, I'd actually LIKE to see real ads in there.

Hopefully companies won't start making more realistic games just so they can put advertising in. I mean surely we won't start seeing McDonalds ads in the Mushroom Kingdom, so Nintendo can't really do it at the moment.

Whoa, it's Snaildog. I thought HotU was too tiny to see others around.

neptunes

well in the square one shopping center , they have a big screen television in the food court, dedicated to showing game ads. (well all I ever see are games and Electronic Boutique ads being shown)

The television runs non-stop in december.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If this helps increase the budget for developers which in turn helps them design better games then I say bring it on.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
There are these thresholds that ads need to meet before it counts as an impression. A specific amount of time onscreen, how big the ad is on screen in terms of screen percentage, the angle the ad is viewed at, etc.

I don't necessarily mind ads in games, but that shit right there takes CPU cycles! You want to put a real ad on a billboard in the game, fine. But if you want to do extra processing to calculate my reaction to it, you'd better hope the framerate doesn't chug for me at just that moment as an online opponent gets a chance to frag me like a sitting duck.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I sure like all those ads for EA games in Burnout 3!!! It sure is neat to race in a gaming world where every billboard advertises sensational games like Tiger Woods!!!

(vomits)

Top Bottom