• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelpai

Neo Member
Twitter: pixelplant_ios

I haven't been that active on here lately, but i am still working on my project pixelAI, a picross-esque puzzle-game for iOS (currently iPad only):

psy_01052013_5.png

I am gonna join this Twitter party as well if that is okay!
Already started adding most of the people in here.

We aren't actually developers but some of you may have heard of Playism.
The core of the project is to localize indie games, especially into/from Japanese.

Here is my personal account: @BuokdaiMR2

And here is the Official English Playism twitter: @PlayismEN
which is usually handled by @thetrin

I'm kinda in and out of this thread.

Working on a game called Treachery in Beatdown City (beatdowncity.com)

My personal game design blog/company blog is nuchallenger.com

Twitter is @anuchallenger (personal) @beatdown_city (game)

Had a crazy few months, was at E3 at Sony's booth for Playstation Mobile, then at EVO playtesting, now I'll be at PAX demoing/playtesting some more for all 4 days.

I presented at the IGDA NJ demo night that went well with a ton of questions/suggestions from some great New York/NJ game designers in tow, and earlier that day had an interview that should be posting soon at a certain *big* blog site.

If anyone wants to come check out my game, I'll be all over PAX, just hit me up on twitter. I'll also be at that Madcatz Unveil party & Fangamer X Attract Mode party hanging with Vita in tow too.

So yeah, hit me up.

I am gonna join this Twitter party as well if that is okay!
Already started adding most of the people in here.

We aren't actually developers but some of you may have heard of Playism.
The core of the project is to localize indie games, especially into/from Japanese.

Here is my personal account: @BuokdaiMR2

And here is the Official English Playism twitter: @PlayismEN
which is usually handled by @thetrin

Hey, I'm going to be filling in to demo Torque L for a couple of hours a day during PAX!

rottame

aaand, of course weekend was super busy (when it's sunny in Sweden and you have kids, you are not allowed to stay indoor ever). Sorry if I didn't make the list, but I see Dynamite Shikoku did.

Anyway, my address is @ferruccio4 and the company account is @BmblbeeStudios (we don't update that very often, though).

missile

First test flight of a wing!

Since the rigid body integrator is now ready to go, I've now started to work
on the wings for the aircraft(s) of ★ Superstall ★.

wing0rsu8z.gif

wing1uhuup.gif

The wing is slightly nudge at start. What is interesting to observe is that
shortly after start the wing drops a lil faster to the ground compared to the
rest of its flight path. Initially, the wing's angle of attack equals zero,
which for this wing means that it won't produce any lift to support its
weight. But while the wing is falling, the angle of attack increases and
levels off shortly thereafter. This, combined with the gained velocity due to
falling, produces a lift strong enough to make the wing, well, fly!

Some work in progress of one of the problems we had. After the beta demo we had many people saying that "selecting" objects (that means coming near an object and a comic balloon appears if you can interact with it), was difficult depending the position, and when two objects where near each other, it was more even more difficult.
At first we made that Cherry cast a ray where she was facing, and that what gave problems when people played (we where accustomed to the controls so we didn't have much problems interacting with the object we wanted), so this week we finally found a solution and we tested it with some people.
Instead of casting a ray Cherry casts 3 different rays, that work in this way.
1. If any of the three rays is intersecting with an object, it will work without Cherry being directly facing it.
2. If 3 rays are interacting with two different things, the object Cherry will interact is the one where 2 rays are touching it.
3. If 3 objects are in range of the 3 rays, the middle ray will have preference above the rest.
The people tested don't have any problem now interacting with the object they want, and every time they want, so it works wonders. Here is an image in Unity of Cherry casting the 3 rays.
As you can see even if Cherry is touching also the helium, the rays decide that Cherry interacts only with the clown.
conodevisionibsoc.jpg

I don't know if anyone else was doing it, but I just put together a simple spreadsheet for our twitter accounts. Tell me if there are any mistakes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhEAFyTM9GLvdDhlTEw0MDFueDY0dmRIa1dnemVzZHc&usp=sharing

So if you want to, you can follow other gaffers, or you can check there if you see someone follow you and you don't know who they are. I'm following a few on there now, and I'll follow the others when I get around to it.

thanks Dynamite Shikoku!, that is very helpful , I will add accounts from there, that will make it easier

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Some work in progress of one of the problems we had. After the beta demo we had many people saying that "selecting" objects (that means coming near an object and a comic balloon appears if you can interact with it), was difficult depending the position, and when two objects where near each other, it was more even more difficult.
At first we made that Cherry cast a ray where she was facing, and that what gave problems when people played (we where accustomed to the controls so we didn't have much problems interacting with the object we wanted), so this week we finally found a solution and we tested it with some people.
Instead of casting a ray Cherry casts 3 different rays, that work in this way.
1. If any of the three rays is intersecting with an object, it will work without Cherry being directly facing it.
2. If 3 rays are interacting with two different things, the object Cherry will interact is the one where 2 rays are touching it.
3. If 3 objects are in range of the 3 rays, the middle ray will have preference above the rest.
The people tested don't have any problem now interacting with the object they want, and every time they want, so it works wonders. Here is an image in Unity of Cherry casting the 3 rays.
As you can see even if Cherry is touching also the helium, the rays decide that Cherry interacts only with the clown.
conodevisionibsoc.jpg

That looks awesome

rottame

First test flight of a wing!

Since the rigid body integrator is now ready to go, I've now started to work
on the wings for the aircraft(s) of ★ Superstall ★.

I would pay good money for a full, flexible, flight-oriented physics plugin for Unity.
There is something on the asset store, but it doesn't look very good or flexible to me.

MrOddbird

Neo Member
Heh, you know you're indie when you have to record gameplay footage on a friends computer, as fraps would make my own computer slow as hell..

But seriously, I'm pretty amazed that, with all the high resolution textures and normal mapped + parallax mapping it still runs pretty smooth with constant 60 fps.

Then again... it's not really a game where a lot of stuff is on the screen.
Heck, my computer cannot even run Battlefield 3 on Low settings with 800x600 resolution, but it's kinda unfair comparison.

Still it's pretty cool to see something you made yourself look and perform really well on an older machine.

Anyway, trailer releasing later this week. I'm pretty excited right now, but then again kinda worried.

We'll see how it turns out.

Tiu Neo

Hey guys, did anyone join the ludum dare this weekend? Me and a few friends joined the jam, and created 10 Second Hero, a game where you're a hero, and have to do the biggest number of hero things (save people, rescue the kitty, helping an old woman to cross the street) that you can, in 10 seconds. It's kiiiinda based on the Atari 2600 Superman game.

fdb32b753fce74a7f5ee7a0df9f28e6f.jpg

We're pretty proud of what we got, in the end. Everyone in the team are just beginners in game development. It was our first jam, and I really liked it. Next time I think I'll join the compo.

EDIT: Btw, my twitter is @DioMuller

missile

Wow, that's pretty cool! What game is it?

I would pay good money for a full, flexible, flight-oriented physics plugin for Unity.
There is something on the asset store, but it doesn't look very good or flexible to me.
There are actually two of them, can't remember their names, battling for
being #1. One guy developed his tool out in the public etc. to the point where
he wanted to sell it on the store, when suddenly another one (a ripoff from a
game, they worked in silence) have shown their engine, pwning the first one up
to the point where he has gone silent as well on his development progress,
since he somehow proposed that the other guys have copied stuff from him
... or something along these lines. xD

I had a look at both toolkits (by video), they seem to be very good for
composing some aircrafts together, quickly. However, speaking about
flexibility is a different story. Composing an aircraft is one thing,
incorporating many of the finer details in computing and controlling the
dynamics etc. is another one.

My flight/physics engine will be different. There won't be a tool where you
can compose an aircraft together. This engine is more for programmers, for
people who seek for something special. For people who, for example, want to
program an aircraft, or whatever object they want. Aircrafts are just an
example here. One can also program non-phyiscal objects by tinkering around
with the data utilizing (abusing) them to give an object a certain behavior.
Many different characteristics may be applied this way which may also be
changed at runtime influencing the dynamics of the given object. For example,
the mass rate of change of an object, which I have implemented (note; this not
only implies computing the inertia tensor at each timestep, it also implies
computing the time rate of change of the inertia tensor! (perhaps no one ever
did for video games), all derived from scratch), and the approximation of the
center of pressure can be utilized as non-physical data for creating certain
behaviors/movements or animations for a given object at runtime.

Unfortunately, I haven't any time to demonstrate all of this. But it's all
there. Guess for example you have a function that manipulates the mass of some
parts of your object by controlling the mass flow rate(s). In that way you can
control/change the mass distribution within your object over time. And since
the mass' distribution influences the rotational motion of an object a lot,
quite unique behaviors/animations can be created. That's just one example.
What about multiplying the inertia tensor with some other specific matrices
at runtime? :) I could write odds and ends about it, but time is flying as
well and am facing a brick wall! I may perhaps C#-wrapper this engine further
down the road....

razu

What's the bloody deal with blender rotation when imported into unity?

The deal is: bullshit.

If you ever venture into the world of 3ds max, you can rotate the pivot, and this is happy days!

I've never figured out how to get blender models in without either having a rotation in the model, or modelling the object pointing up or some such bollocks in Blender..

I'm sure you can do it, but I've never found out how.

I just create a non-rotated parent GameObject, then create physics and render GameObjets to sit beneath the parent. Works fine, but sometimes.. I'd like a non-rotated, single GameObject.

Post if you figure out how to do it!! :D

razu

Yo!

Twitter details: @jamielowesdev, representing VAMflax.

Also, Ludum Dare... oh deary me.. I actually made something that I'd love to work up into a full game, but... it wasn't a game in itself, so I didn't even submit anything to the jam.

Bit of a bummer, but it pretty much came down to scheduling problems... in that I thought it was on next week! And tried to fit it in to a busy weekend anyway...

Next time I do one, I'll do it properly like last time :D

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Well, since so many of you are sharing your twitter handles
I might as well do the same if that's okay!

Here's the "official" twitter account of ours: @RobotBrush

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
Yay Twitter!

My personal is @FraynkWash , representing @SuppressFGames , Suppressive Fire Games LLC.

Blood Alloy is a 2D scifi urban Metroidvania. I'm applying the stamina-based combat mechanics of Demon's/Dark Souls and applying them to 2D gunplay. The game is heavily inspired by the vicious gunplay of Hotline Miami, the environmental storytelling of Metroid, and the fast and dynamic character movement of Vanquish.

Our Facebook page is here .

We're prepping everything for a Kickstarter launch around Sept 9th - stay tuned!

Eg1ARV4.jpg

Razlo

Yay Twitter!

My personal is @FraynkWash , representing @SuppressFGames , Suppressive Fire Games LLC.

Blood Alloy is a 2D scifi urban Metroidvania. I'm applying the stamina-based combat mechanics of Demon's/Dark Souls and applying them to 2D gunplay. The game is heavily inspired by the vicious gunplay of Hotline Miami, the environmental storytelling of Metroid, and the fast and dynamic character movement of Vanquish.

We're prepping everything for a Kickstarter launch around Sept 9th - stay tuned!

Eg1ARV4.jpg

I totally love the look of it and your references of inspiration. I'll definitely back this thing when it shows up on Kickstarter.

missile

@DarkSiegmeyer: A hate bot. Cool. Welcome over here!

Very productive today...

Here is 1% of Superstall. To make it super amounts to the other 99%!

wing37naex.gif

wing42wyor.gif

The wing is pitched continuously which increasing its angle of attack. From
a given degree onwards the wing enters the stall regime where the lift force
decreases rapidly leading the wing into a stall. While stalling the wing drops
like a stone from the sky.

Noogy

I'm on Twitter as @NoogyTweet

I just blabber about daily nonsense and hand out more free copies of my game than I probably should.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You already did this, but you might give OBS a try in the future to record on your machine.
Heh, you know you're indie when you have to record gameplay footage on a friends computer, as fraps would make my own computer slow as hell..

But seriously, I'm pretty amazed that, with all the high resolution textures and normal mapped + parallax mapping it still runs pretty smooth with constant 60 fps.

Then again... it's not really a game where a lot of stuff is on the screen.
Heck, my computer cannot even run Battlefield 3 on Low settings with 800x600 resolution, but it's kinda unfair comparison.

Still it's pretty cool to see something you made yourself look and perform really well on an older machine.

Anyway, trailer releasing later this week. I'm pretty excited right now, but then again kinda worried.

We'll see how it turns out.

F-Pina

Yay Twitter!

Eg1ARV4.jpg

This looks awesome dude. Congrats.

Metal-Geo

Yay Twitter!

Eg1ARV4.jpg

Whoa. I'm madly in love with that art style! The description intrigues me!

This is inspiring and pretty motivational.

I've been fiddling about with C++ and Unity recently, thinking about how easily I could put something 3D together myself. Touched GameMaker too, but I'd like to jump straight in with 3D.

Disheartened to hear Blender and Unity aren't flawlessly inter-operable. I am hoping to do it all without spending any money.

I have a 2D art background, so this will be a challenge to say the least. But I have fiddled with 3D programs before. Looking forward to getting to a programming point.

Cheers all, will keep up to date with this thread.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
27179-shot0.png

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=27179

Participated in Ludum Dare this time and I'm pretty glad I did! Came out with a complete product and managed to put aside my perfectionism for a weekend. There are a million things I'd want to do differently or change in the game, but I'm trying to let myself settle down and just let it be. It might not be up to my usual standards, but it's my usual standards that keeps me working on games forever and never completing them. Now that I have one (albeit short) game under my belt, I feel capable that I can do more.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
The deal is: bullshit.

If you ever venture into the world of 3ds max, you can rotate the pivot, and this is happy days!

I've never figured out how to get blender models in without either having a rotation in the model, or modelling the object pointing up or some such bollocks in Blender..

I'm sure you can do it, but I've never found out how.

I just create a non-rotated parent GameObject, then create physics and render GameObjets to sit beneath the parent. Works fine, but sometimes.. I'd like a non-rotated, single GameObject.

Post if you figure out how to do it!! :D

This is inspiring and pretty motivational.

I've been fiddling about with C++ and Unity recently, thinking about how easily I could put something 3D together myself. Touched GameMaker too, but I'd like to jump straight in with 3D.

Disheartened to hear Blender and Unity aren't flawlessly inter-operable. I am hoping to do it all without spending any money.

I have a 2D art background, so this will be a challenge to say the least. But I have fiddled with 3D programs before. Looking forward to getting to a programming point.

Cheers all, will keep up to date with this thread.

For working with blender and unity, I've just been saving the blend files into my project's asset folder and then fiddling with the rotation in blender until it is the right way up in unity. Doesn't take all that long, but it's a little annoying.

Edit: Twitter spreadsheet updated

Feep

Banned
After messing with the idea of using the NavMeshAgent to feed in speed/angular speed to the Mecanim animator, and letting THAT drive motion, I've decided that while it might be theoretically a good idea, it's way more trouble than its worth. You need to have an extremely large variety of extremely accurate animations, all set up perfectly, to make a character easily capable of any arbitrary motion without ending up with weird loops or figure 8's or wobbly motion. It's also very difficult to debug.

I'm gonna leave root motion on, technically, but bake the root motion into the poses for everything that doesn't need it (90%+) so the combined translation and rotation for those poses end up being zero. What a pain = P

fin

Anyone here use NGUI in Unity3D?

http://www.tasharen.com/?page_id=140

For a very minimal coder should I look into it... I might barely be making menus in my next project but want to hear if anyone on this thread has input on it? thanks ahead of time

I've been using it for about a year now. Super good and easy to use. Last project I did I used OnGui and it was a pain. Buy it.

After messing with the idea of using the NavMeshAgent to feed in speed/angular speed to the Mecanim animator, and letting THAT drive motion, I've decided that while it might be theoretically a good idea, it's way more trouble than its worth. You need to have an extremely large variety of extremely accurate animations, all set up perfectly, to make a character easily capable of any arbitrary motion without ending up with weird loops or figure 8's or wobbly motion. It's also very difficult to debug.

I'm gonna leave root motion on, technically, but bake the root motion into the poses for everything that doesn't need it (90%+) so the combined translation and rotation for those poses end up being zero. What a pain = P

Yeah man, moving the characters using the animations was a pain. I gave up on it. I had a difficult time setting up the state machine. Have you set up your death state yet? I had to get creative using 'Any State'. It would just loop the death state over and over and over...

Feep

Banned
I've been using it for about a year now. Super good and easy to use. Last project I did I used OnGui and it was a pain. Buy it.

Yeah man, moving the characters using the animations was a pain. I gave up on it. I had a difficult time setting up the state machine. Have you set up your death state yet? I had to get creative using 'Any State'. It would just loop the death state over and over and over...
No, but I feel like you'd either have to use Any State or make a new layer that overwrites all body parts and trigger the animation from Empty to Death when he dies. Guess you figured it out, though! = D

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
@F-Pina @Metal-Geo
Thanks so much for the kind words guys - we're in crazy balls-to-the-wall mode right now, so hearing stuff like that really helps fuel us. I cannot wait - I just cannot WAIT - for the final character animations to come in so you can see what your character can do to get around enemies and fight your way out of situations :D

A word on game engines:

So our game has been built thus far in GameMaker Studio. For every time that GameMaker makes me happy, it makes me curse the skies twice over. It's so ruthlessly optimized for some things, but man, not being able to use Object-oriented programming stuff, weird function uses, not even having private variables... Huuuuge pain in the butt.

Should we get enough funding I'd love to switch to Unity. I was originally trying to convert our Javascript prototype to Unity using the Orthello plugin, but as soon as I went off-the-rails for that LodeRunner tutorial (link here ) everything just fell to pieces.

Do any of you guys have success with 2D Toolkit, or would you recommend just trying to stick with Orthello?

Blizzard

Banned
At least when exporting models from Blender to the UDK, I think the export screen itself has options for rotation. I -think- if you set those once it should work for multiple models, but I'm not sure if there's something more complicated you have to do.

Santini

Anyone here use NGUI in Unity3D?

http://www.tasharen.com/?page_id=140

For a very minimal coder should I look into it... I might barely be making menus in my next project but want to hear if anyone on this thread has input on it? thanks ahead of time

I own it and highly recommend it. I wasted a lot of time and draw calls on my project using Unity's built in GUI functions and related odds and ends. I picked up NGUI when it was on sale (it also recently went on sale again last week!) and I can only imagine the time I would have saved had I picked it up at the start of the project.

If you're making mobile games with various device screen resolutions, it's quite handy. You can anchor your GUI elements so that they appear where they need to whether your menu is showing up at 480x320 or at 2048x1156. If you have all of your UI elements on an atlas, you can also reduce your draw calls. NGUI's built-in tweening functions can also be used for other, non-NGUI game objects.

FYI, NGUI has been on sale at least twice this summer. I don't know if it'll be up for one again so soon, but since time = money, if you just want to do something quick and minimal without tearing your hair out, it's well worth the price.

And as was pointed out to me earlier in this thread, 2D Toolkit for Unity also has UI functionality. However, I haven't used it for that yet, so can't comment on how well it works in comparison.

Feep

Banned
(sigh) Man, I just can't get this working. Going home for the day, but gonna check back on this thread tomorrow and see if anyone replied.

At everyone's recommendation, I made a special "root node" that is above all other nodes on the rig. For the run, for example, I don't actually want the root node to move...that way, the run is controlled directly by the NavMesh and I don't get any weird orientation swinging as the hips move. For other motions, I do want root motion to be applied.

The problem, though, as that the Humanoid option in Unity appears to ignore this root bone entirely. It seems to calculate root motion based on...well, something, center of mass calculations, I don't know. Using generic DOES let you specific a root, but even then I'm having problems making root motion do anything at all. Does the NavMesh override root motion? Why isn't it being applied based on the root note we specified in our 3-D modeling program? = (

Tiu Neo

27179-shot0.png

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=27179

Participated in Ludum Dare this time and I'm pretty glad I did! Came out with a complete product and managed to put aside my perfectionism for a weekend. There are a million things I'd want to do differently or change in the game, but I'm trying to let myself settle down and just let it be. It might not be up to my usual standards, but it's my usual standards that keeps me working on games forever and never completing them. Now that I have one (albeit short) game under my belt, I feel capable that I can do more.

Ohh, I played your game yesterday. Really charming art.

I made something for Ludum Dare.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=18267

Terminal 10
3bc8a6084b24d50ab03377c9a4011d3b.jpg

Primary inspirations were Incredible Crisis and Point Break. You fall out of an airplane (that I didn't have time to create), and have 10 seconds to grab and deploy a parachute before you hit the ground.

Fun fact: at the speed that human beings fall in freefall, 10 seconds really only represents a fall from about 1500ft.

I didn't play yours yet. Will do when I get home. :)

Making the game was pretty fun, but playing everybody else's games is also a great experience. So many interesting spins on the theme.

Nezzhil

tumblr_ms5tbhv09X1qesqm0o1_1280.png

I was involved in one of the Ludum Dare games. I composed the music and engineered the sounds. First time I make music for a game, exciting to see the dream become reality.
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=10889

My forever inactive Twitter;
@geistbox

The game goes to my list of games to be played! Stunning, and mouth-dropping screenshots,

I worked in the Ludum Dare with my brother too.

It's a Detective adventure game. You need to find clues, talk suspects and find the killer before he/she kills everyone (the murderer kills every 10 seconds). It's a hard game, and read the tutorial is a must because you need to do a lot of things and you haven't got time to do all.

21727-shot0.jpg

21727-shot2.PNG

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=21727

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom