• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Alright, I think it's about time I wrote about it. Introducing

, the world's first first-person time-moves-only-when-you-move shooter*. To explain it simply, it's The Matrix meets Hotline Miami meets a little bit of Braid. You can just stop moving in the middle of the room, look around, see where the enemies are and then decide on the best course of action (which usually involves deciding on which guy you'll shoot first). Take your time, you have as much as you want.

Play SUPERHOT on our website

The game was initially created in Unity during the 7DFPS game jam, and then extra-polished for the WGK 2013 conference, where we snatched the first prize in the Developer Showcase competition. The original version of the game has also been featured on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, IndieStatik and GiantBomb.

If you'd like to know more about where we're headed with the game, submit some feedback (we do love getting feedback from the players) or just ask some questions about the game/Unity, tweet/follow us at @superhotthegame or just drop me an e-mail at spierek@superhotgame.com. Thanks in advance.

*actually, the time moves very, very slowly when you're not moving, but "time-moves-only-slightly-when-you're-not-moving shooter" is not as marketable

I've just read on Gamasutra that Superhot not only just got greenlit, but set a record for being approved just five days after being added to Greenlight. Congratulations!

I have some questions :

I code HTML5 / JS apps, but I want to get into other fields of dev on my free time. I want to do a little vertical slice on a concept I have in order to teach me how to proceed.

It would be a 2D / sprite (how original, I know) game with some lightening effects for fire, etc. Nothing complicated.

What's my best choice ? Unity ? What's the language ? C# ?

Gamemaker ?

What is the best combo / dev environment for 2D games ?

TrickRoom

Hearing everyone else getting approved for Wii U development is tempting me to try the same... I'd want so much to be a developer for the company I've worshiped for so long, but am so intimidated because it's the company I've worshiped for so long.

GulAtiCa

Does jQuery work on the Wii U Html5 or is there some additional JS library for Wii U's gamepad touches? I have heard something about that, controller button support or something like that. As I recall, on a desktop JS, one cant use the 360 controller as an input device...
A lot of libraries work fine with NWF on Wii U. jQuery works well. In fact, detecting a click on the gamepad touchscreen is just a simple $("body").click(function(e){ }); type of thing. Controller button mapping is registered as keypresses/up/downs as well, making it simple. Though I opted to register the button inputs via their api instead to be more accurate, but it's the same amount of code as doing a .keydown/etc

Speaking of which, my game won't really need button inputs, since it's all managed via the touch screen. Mostly working this in for any future platformer/etc games I do as well as mainly for d-pad up/down a/b button works on the menus.

Hearing everyone else getting approved for Wii U development is tempting me to try the same... I'd want so much to be a developer for the company I've worshiped for so long, but am so intimidated because it's the company I've worshiped for so long.
Just apply! I never published a game before, and I'm approved with a working dev kit not 10 feet from where I sit now.

I have some questions :

I code HTML5 / JS apps, but I want to get into other fields of dev on my free time. I want to do a little vertical slice on a concept I have in order to teach me how to proceed.

It would be a 2D / sprite (how original, I know) game with some lightening effects for fire, etc. Nothing complicated.

What's my best choice ? Unity ? What's the language ? C# ?

Gamemaker ?

What is the best combo / dev environment for 2D games ?

No one ?

JulianImp

Like I've said before, you'd have to do a few hacks, rely on third party assets (such as 2DToolkit) or wait for Unity v4.3, which is supposedly going to introduce dedicated tools for creating 2D games, but I guess it's a good option due to the scalability and versatility it offers.

An advantage Unity has over GM is that you can make games with the free version without missing out on any really important features. I think GM lite didn't offer sprite blending, or even object rotation, at least as of version 7.

Like I've said before, you'd have to do a few hacks, rely on third party assets (such as 2DToolkit) or wait for Unity v4.3, which is supposedly going to introduce dedicated tools for creating 2D games, but I guess it's a good option due to the scalability and versatility it offers.

An advantage Unity has over GM is that you can make games with the free version without missing out on any really important features. I think GM lite didn't offer sprite blending, or even object rotation, at least as of version 7.

Is it really hard to go full visual maker / C# way ? What would you recommend for a small project ?

JulianImp

Is it really hard to go full visual maker / C# way ? What would you recommend for a small project ?

I don't know what Visual Maker is, but I'd advise using as many pre-made tools as you possibly can to avoid wasting time reinventing the wheel (physics, basic graphics handling, possibly an environment/level editor).

Each engine I've talked about has its own learning curve. Out of the two, I'd say GameMaker is slightly easier to get into but a bit more annoying when you really have to code stuff (untyped variables and lack of methods make things a bit hard to handle at times), while Unity might be harder to get into at first, but offers a lot more freedom and various tools.

It all depends on how useful each engine's tools are to you. For example, Unity's physics are nice, but you won't be getting pixel-pefect collisions without some heavy coding or purchasing add-ons, if that's what you want.

The paid versions of GM are pretty affordable though (well, at least compared to Unity Pro).

JulianImp

The paid versions of GM are pretty affordable though (well, at least compared to Unity Pro).

Yeah, but the only issues you'll ever find while using Unity free are the start-up logo and lack plug-in support. Dynamic shadows can be problematic, but depending on the kind of game you're making you might not even need them, and the same applies to other features such as dynamic node pathfinding, render-to-texture features or image postprocessing.

Being able to code your own shaders is a great boon, since you can often achieve alternatives that recreate pro-only effects through them. For example, I think I once read about a shader that drew dynamic shadows by itself.

GulAtiCa

Why do not you use the canvas or the WebGL context?

This. That is what I'm currently doing. I'm making my games in HTML5 (canvas). Though I'm doing this for Wii U where I can code my games in HTML5. I'm not sure if there is anyplace on the web that you can sell HTML5 games or so. (but I never looked)

V_Arnold

This. That is what I'm currently doing. I'm making my games in HTML5 (canvas). Though I'm doing this for Wii U where I can code my games in HTML5. I'm not sure if there is anyplace on the web that you can sell HTML5 games or so. (but I never looked)

My plan is for our upcoming (2014 :p) SRPG is to offer a quite extensive "demo" (basically, if all goes as planned, the whole normal content, which would mean one playthrough without the followup modes/difficulties), and you can buy a supporter pack or something named similar for around 1-2eur which would give you access to the online features, other gamemodes, and a downloadable/android app version as well. Whether that works or not would be up to the game's quality of course.

bumpkin

Love that feel of getting something working just before bed that you've been stumped on. Now I can sleep properly.
Isn't that the best feeling in the world? Lately it seems like I don't get it very often, but last night I had one of those moments; finally got a basic "patrol" AI component working in my engine. Made a Metool (yoinked from a Mega Man X4 sprite sheet) march back and forth over a certain distance. It's pretty much one of the most simple, mundane accomplishments ever achieved in terms of someone programming a game, but dammit, I felt like a rock star!

Sanic

Don't really post in this thread, but I lurk daily and we, too, have been approved for Wii U development. Thank you to those who PMed me the other day.

Now it's just a matter of figuring out if it's worth building out this Wii U-specific, multiplayer only concept we've been throwing around for a while. I'm thinking it's probably suicide from a sales perspective :p

GulAtiCa

Is it a local multiplayer only or online multiplayer? Keep in mind, the launch indie game on Wii U, Chasing Aurora, is a local mutiplayer only game (does have a one player speed run though). But that game didn't do to well. No idea on sales, but they said they were not happy with results. Probably didn't help that it was $15 for a while after launch.

But I have no idea what type of game yours is. I think Spin The Bottle, another local-multiplayer game is actually probably doing well, as it's focus is actually local stuff involving interaction with people. If yours is multiplayer online or some kind of local-multiplayer focus, it might do differently.

Basically keep that in mind.

Sanic

It would be local MP only, with the potential for online content sharing.

Definitely a lot to think about. I just think the concept is pretty cool, so it may be worth it to drop everything else and go full steam ahead for the next 6-8 months to flesh this one out. If i'm having fun with it, why not?

bumpkin

We are now licensed WiiU developers :)
'grats!

Is it sad that ever since I got Nintendo's email about setting up a call, I keep hoping my phone rings every time the clock hits the time frame I gave them?

The irony is usually I don't want my phone to ring when I'm at work.

Yeah, but the only issues you'll ever find while using Unity free are the start-up logo and lack plug-in support. Dynamic shadows can be problematic, but depending on the kind of game you're making you might not even need them, and the same applies to other features such as dynamic node pathfinding, render-to-texture features or image postprocessing.

Being able to code your own shaders is a great boon, since you can often achieve alternatives that recreate pro-only effects through them. For example, I think I once read about a shader that drew dynamic shadows by itself.

That's good to hear. I haven't really gotten deep enough into Unity to run into any issues with the free version, but it was a little annoying that some of their earliest tutorials tell you to use dynamic shadows.

Somnid

Does jQuery work on the Wii U Html5 or is there some additional JS library for Wii U's gamepad touches? I have heard something about that, controller button support or something like that. As I recall, on a desktop JS, one cant use the 360 controller as an input device...

Congratulations!

Wii U is compatible with most js libraries, the touch events are your typical webkit variety "touchstart" "touchend" "touchmove" etc. It does not support pointer events. Here's some documentation: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/browser-specs/

BTW Both Chrome and FF can use 360 controllers using the somewhat non-standard Gamepad API.

For 2D stick to JS or if you want to expand maybe try ObjectiveC or Java (iOS and Android receptively). These are the only real 2D things I can think of that have worth. You can do 2D using 3D APIs which is also interesting because it's a huge difference in which case all the above still apply but you can add Unity I suppose.

Selling native web apps that are hosted is hard because is has stigmas but plenty of places let you sell them as standalones including the Chrome Webstore, Amazon App Store (for Android tablets), or you can run it in a webview and post it to the Apple App Store or Android Marketplace.

Grats to you and your team!

awesome, what's your project?

Congratulations!

'grats!

Is it sad that ever since I got Nintendo's email about setting up a call, I keep hoping my phone rings every time the clock hits the time frame I gave them?

The irony is usually I don't want my phone to ring when I'm at work.

Thanks everyone :) It's much appreciated.

Jobbs - It's a top-down action adventure game/RPG. Kinda like Zelda. We're still early in the project, but have a basic site set up at http://rolansquest.com

Bumpkin - Keep up the hope. They'll call. My call came I think the next day after I got the email. The funny thing is the email went to an account I don't even use anymore so I didn't even know it was there so I never responded to it. I never even knew the call was coming. I almost ignored it as I usually screen my calls. Took a while to find Nintendo's confirmation email as a result. First thing I'm doing is changing my email...

What's the best way to become a PS4 indie developer?

bumpkin

Bumpkin - Keep up the hope. They'll call. My call came I think the next day after I got the email. The funny thing is the email went to an account I don't even use anymore so I didn't even know it was there so I never responded to it. I never even knew the call was coming. I almost ignored it as I usually screen my calls. Took a while to find Nintendo's confirmation email as a result. First thing I'm doing is changing my email...
Oh man, yeah. I'm glad that I got the email. I had been waiting with baited breath for some kind of response since I submitted the initial application form.

It's funny that you mention how soon after your email you got a call; they called me today when I was on my ride home from work! I answered literally 10 seconds before I got to the toll booth. When he asked if he caught me at a good time, I'm like "I'm actually on the highway, but give me a minute. I'm pulling over now." He just laughed, and at the end of the call, thanked me for not doing something silly and pulling over before talking to him. lol.

A short while after I got home, I checked my email; I had my instructions and so on to register officially. I too am now an official licensed Wii U Developer! :D

So freakin' psyched! This is like a dream come true.

GulAtiCa

I really look forward to this weekend. Will be my first weekend where I can spend the entire day working on my game live (I did start like 2 weeks ago, but really counting all the recent work I've done lately since I got my dev kit).

The main core of the game is basically finished. Now I'm spicing things up, like adding visual cues, a better way to add/update stuff. Going to add the shield option for purchase soon as well as a fighter jet type of bot that will be mobile and in the outskirts of the map circling everything. I plan to have the fighter jet to be quick, powerful, but limited range (that and mobile means not always near enemies).

Heck, I might find myself working on the 2nd map this weekend, which will have 2 bases (split life energy, so all add up to 100) instead of 1. Soon I will give you all a link to try out a web version. I will need to go back and make sure it can work back and forth between Web and Wii U. I'll need to code some exceptions into my code though, as I'm rendering 2 different things to the screens.

missile

I wrote a 100+ page business plan last year in 5 months with the help of some classmates. It was a semester long project that had us invent a product that's not on the market and go through the entire business process up until bringing the product to market. Here's a link to the entire thing. http://www.scribd.com/doc/144445314/Stable-Baby-Integrated-Business-Plan-Text...
Looks good!

...The thing about a business plan is that it takes a tremendous amount of research. However, what you normally present is a 1 page double-sided piece of paper that summarizes everything an investor would want to know. Nobody is going to read a 100+ paper...

In order to help, I would need to either do this research with/for you, or you would already need to have it done. Also, what type of funding are you looking for? A ton of work normally goes into this, which I'm happy to do, but I need to get the scoop of what your project is and such.
Hey mate, I will talk more with you once I'm through the work am currently
in. I'm pretty deep into doing some flight-dynamics research for my game, and
am pretty focused on it. But basically, the project is the game Superstall and
the business plan should describe the concept of the game, skill-set of
people involved (education), the market situation, selling point, etc. while
ballooning (xD) everything up with numbers and making a two-page summary of it
as you said. The funding(s) I'm after are;
(1) A government institution is willing to pay about €15.000 for a business/
management consultancy for about half a year if I can show them a concept of
my business, in short; how I intent to make games for a living - using the
game Superstall as an entry point demonstrated by a prototype. This
management consultancy is very important since it can help me solving most of
the local business issues/rules/laws associated in making a good business
over here in Vienna/Austria.
(2) As I've found out over time, another founding possibility comes also from
the government (yet another institution). Young entrepreneurs (recently
founded) can get sort of cheque about €20.000 for paying bills related to
their new business. Would be awesome. I don't know the requirements yet, but
going by the institution in question one can be assume that it needs a good
business plan to get the cheque.

And I guess there are many other possibilities lurking around.

Usually, this would be all your work. It cost me precious time of development
considering all these things.

Back to work....

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Found another good use for vectrosity this week - lightning weapon

tgl36gk.gif

snarge

Found another good use for vectrosity this week - lightning weapon

That lightning looks great! Can you talk more about Vectrosity? Two of the things I read about it was that it was hard to integrate and fairly taxing on CPU. I was looking to do a game on mobile, so I decided against using it.

jrDev

So has anyone ever been stumped on one programming project for months like me? I started this combo system project and have been doing it for more than 2 months now. Initially, I said to myself that it will take not more than a week...but OMG I've been programming this thing for a long time and its just one part of my game. I've made really great progress though.

But today, I feel like I am going to land the finishing code. I need some cheerleaders! ;)

bumpkin

So has anyone ever been stumped on one programming project for months like me? I started this combo system project and have been doing it for more than 2 months now. Initially, I said to myself that it will take not more than a week...but OMG I've been programming this thing for a long time and its just one part of my game. I've made really great progress though.

But today, I feel like I am going to land the finishing code. I need some cheerleaders! ;)
How's this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

Seriously though, you can do it!

I've totally been where you are before, obsessively focusing all of my attention on some single feature of a much larger project. At some point you just gotta draw the line in the sand and say "No more." In the professional software dev biz, we call it scope creep. Basically, you should have a definition for what you want to do and stick to it. Don't get into the habit of adding things because you think they'd be "neat". :)

jrDev

How's this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

Seriously though, you can do it!

I've totally been where you are before, obsessively focusing all of my attention on some single feature of a much larger project. At some point you just gotta draw the line in the sand and say "No more." In the professional software dev biz, we call it scope creep. Basically, you should have a definition for what you want to do and stick to it. Don't get into the habit of adding things because you think they'd be "neat". :)
Thanks for that :)

Ashodin

May I introduce... The Literati Eraser.

noEO98J.png

Utilizing the standard weapon of the Erasers, these stormtrooper enemies of the Literati will hound you at any turn with the Lanser. A combination weapon, with a magic eraser at one end (powered by the "erase" magic word) and a slashing lance head at the other end. They have evolved a style that allows them to flip the weapon end over end, erasing words of power you currently use and allowing them to cut through your armor as easily as paper afterwards.

Oh man, yeah. I'm glad that I got the email. I had been waiting with baited breath for some kind of response since I submitted the initial application form.

It's funny that you mention how soon after your email you got a call; they called me today when I was on my ride home from work! I answered literally 10 seconds before I got to the toll booth. When he asked if he caught me at a good time, I'm like "I'm actually on the highway, but give me a minute. I'm pulling over now." He just laughed, and at the end of the call, thanked me for not doing something silly and pulling over before talking to him. lol.

A short while after I got home, I checked my email; I had my instructions and so on to register officially. I too am now an official licensed Wii U Developer! :D

So freakin' psyched! This is like a dream come true.

Congrats man! Good luck.

As for me, trying to get on PS4 now.

http://m.us.playstation.com/develop/

Is a static IP really required? That would be a large cost for me.

Feep

Banned
May I introduce... The Literati Eraser.

noEO98J.png

Utilizing the standard weapon of the Erasers, these stormtrooper enemies of the Literati will hound you at any turn with the Lanser. A combination weapon, with a magic eraser at one end (powered by the "erase" magic word) and a slashing lance head at the other end. They have evolved a style that allows them to flip the weapon end over end, erasing words of power you currently use and allowing them to cut through your armor as easily as paper afterwards.
You are my favorite person

I have an entire week at home before going back to work / attending a wedding so what do I plan to do? pack all my consoles away and get into crunch mode!

Mikado

Screensho^H^H^Hgif Sat^H^H^HFriday!

ng_e3ed923d.gif

New this week:
Ambient Obscurance!
Physically based specular!
Multisampled motion blur + dof!
Kickpunching!

Ashodin

I love that you might prioritize the letters in WEAPON for an additional attack bonus. = D

Ah you've analyzed my math. Actually, the game gives you bonuses based on vowels you use in your word (so it's a risk vs. reward thing). You could screw over your board by not having any vowels and having to think up harder words.

The weapon letters lighting up are actually a "charge up skill" that when you get it off, summons a new weapon in your left offensive slot. The Sharpened Wit skill powers up the letters on the board equal to the letters in your weapon's word. so If you had an AXE, all the A, X, and E letters would be charged.

Feep

Banned
Ah you've analyzed my math. Actually, the game gives you bonuses based on vowels you use in your word (so it's a risk vs. reward thing). You could screw over your board by not having any vowels and having to think up harder words.

The weapon letters lighting up are actually a "charge up skill" that when you get it off, summons a new weapon in your left offensive slot. The Sharpened Wit skill powers up the letters on the board equal to the letters in your weapon's word. so If you had an AXE, all the A, X, and E letters would be charged.
Do letters appear with standard English frequency? SPEAR would be an extremely powerful weapon, if true. = D

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
That lightning looks great! Can you talk more about Vectrosity? Two of the things I read about it was that it was hard to integrate and fairly taxing on CPU. I was looking to do a game on mobile, so I decided against using it.

Nah, it's easy to integrate. I haven't tried it on mobile, but from what I've heard it's the best option for drawing lines. One of the guys who posts in this thread made Kid Vector for iOS using it, if I remember correctly.

Congrats man! Good luck.

As for me, trying to get on PS4 now.

http://m.us.playstation.com/develop/

Is a static IP really required? That would be a large cost for me.

I've talked with them a few times and I am pretty sure they are serious about the static ip requirement. You can probably tweet one of the developer relations guys about it though.

Is it worth looking into 2D Toolkit for Unity or should I wait for 4.3?

I am using 2D Toolkit right now and it does the job. I am sure the Unity native stuff will be nicer, especially the physics. I don't think there is a hard eta on Unity 4.3 though, so if you want to get going I would say 2D Toolkit is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom