• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've talked with them a few times and I am pretty sure they are serious about the static ip requirement. You can probably tweet one of the developer relations guys about it though..

Time Warner does not offer static IP's for residence accounts, and even if they did, I wouldn't want to pay $15/month for one. It just seems stupid to me to have this requirement. I'll get in touch with one of them. Thank you.

Any ideas on who I can contact on Twitter?

DSix

Banned
Saturday, Proxy Blade screenshot:
iT1bArOR7g4mn.jpg
I'm currently working on Karthas, the boss character you see here throwing punches. The only one to fight with no weapon but his big fists. A nice change from animating sword users.

Still no indiegogo, but I'll have to do it very soon, this week if possible.

I'm fairly interested in developing a visual novel (probably a kinetic novel ala Ryukishi07's Higurashi/Umineko series). I know that Ren'py exists as a perfectly fine engine, but I'm not opposed to learning the basics of coding over the next few years while I continue to develop the plot, setting, etc.. I was thinking the best place to start would be a C++ tutorial, but there seem to be so many out there, is there a specific tutorial anyone would recommend for the complete beginner?

My main reason for wanting to code it myself as opposed to using a premade engine besides royalty issues is also wanting to not only know my own code in and out, but to be able to code in whatever I need as I need it and not have to deal with any possible limitations.

TrickRoom

Just apply! I never published a game before, and I'm approved with a working dev kit not 10 feet from where I sit now.

Alright, thanks.

You've pushed me off the fence with this. Everyone else too who seems to be applying along. The wonders of community peer pressure!

Makai

Alright, thanks.

You've pushed me off the fence with this. Everyone else too who seems to be applying along. The wonders of community peer pressure!
Application is short enough that it's worth the time to fill it in, even for longshots. I put my university dorm as my address. I'm sure that's a red flag to the people who distribute the dev kits, ha.

GulAtiCa

Application is short enough that it's worth the time to fill it in, even for longshots. I put my university dorm as my address. I'm sure that's a red flag to the people who distribute the dev kits, ha.

Actually, a number of people I see over at their dev forum seem to be college students. So you might qualify still. :)

Feep

Banned
Screenshot Saturday, right?

Here's the interior of a mess hall on a military base. A small firefight happens inside. ^^

MessHallInt.png

TrickRoom

Why so few screenshots this saturday? :(

Ah well, here's mine:
BUu9nPnCEAEkioV.png:large

First time having things come together in an actual screenshot. I'm a bit iffy about the spritework, though... something feels off...

*self conscious*

Maedhros

I want to help someone from my country who's making an indie game based on Yume Nikki/Metroid/Castlevania.

http://catarse.me/pt/dreamingsarah#about

Since he didn't wrote the project overview in English, I'll do it here:

-------

DREAMING SARAH!

http://catarse.me/pt/dreamingsarah

http://vimeo.com/60792874

What is's Dreaming Sarah?

Dreaming Sarah (known before as Project Sarah) is an 2D adventure platformer game. The game consists in exploring Sarah's dreams, a girl who is in coma, and discover some way to make her wake up.

How's the game?

The game is an adventure, in other words, you talk to other characters, collect itens and use them in other places and, mainly, explores. It's based on games like Metroid, Castlevania and Yume Nikki (being the last one the main inspiration).

Just like on the cited games, Sarah has different abilities which help her to explore better the world she's in, from a magnifying glass which makes her shrink to a pogo stick who makes her jump higher. These abilities are found in the game and you can only get the best ending by finding all them.

How's the game is being developed?

It's being made on Construct 2, made by Scirra.

Which platforms will the game be released?

Initially, just Windows. In the case of the crowding-funding goes well, possibilities of being released on Linux and Mac exists. The game will be released on English and Portuguese!.

Who's making the game?

I'm Andre Chagas, and I'm a designer. I make games by hobby since I can remember, using programs like Multimedia Fusion, Construct Classic and Flash. I'm trying to create this game since 2009, but only in 2012 I got the resolve to continue the game and to create a "mark", which I named Asteristic. Since the, I created a developer's blog and had the help of many friends to conclude this project.
Asteristic counts with the freelancer musician called Anthony de Oliveira, and he will be doing the musical part of the game.

Why to use the crowd-funding?

While developing the game, obstacles keep appearing, and the biggest of them is money. Making indie games isn't not only hard, but expensive too. In the case of the Crowd-Funding goes well, I'll be focusing on the development of the game and on the rewards shown here. I'll be using the money to hire helpers (artists, programmers, etc) and upgrade my working hardware.

Where can I learn more about the game?

On my Blog, I'm constantly updating it with what I'm doing. You can hear more about the development of the game here (in English).

You can vote on Dreaming Sarah for it to enter Steam here.

IMPORTANT - In the case of the game being released on Steam, all the backers will receive keys to download the game directly from there, on the date of release, with the DRM-free version included.

----

Habilities!

Each week we will be revealing different abilities of Sarah. These are just some of the habilities that she will use in the game, the main game have more than 10 of them.

sarah_catarse_habilidades0000.png

NOTICE: Shipping for other countries is not included. In this case, it must be paid by the backer. Thank you!

I posted about this game earlier...

Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sqNm1eZn
And there's a demo out: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2383513/dreaming sarah demo.rar
Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92928706

It's like a sidescroller Yume Nikki. Unfortunately, the campaign to get funds didn't work, but he decided to continue working on it anyway.

bumpkin

I thought about tossing up a screen shot in the spirit of "Screenshot Saturday," but a still picture wouldn't really do a good job representing the advancements I've made. I did a bunch more tinkering with my engine including trying to get parallax scrolling working. This latest video shows off the basic AI I got working the other day (the Metool patrols), along with the background parallax scrolling. The effect obviously isn't as dramatic as it could be with more detailed/cohesive background layers, but I was trying to keep it simple while I got it working. :)

Here's the video: http://youtu.be/fcNRd0P_mGs

I know at some point I'm going to have to go back to tackling the multi-headed dragon of my nightmares known as "collision detection," but this stuff made for some nice productive tangental work.

Anustart

My Wii U dev kit came today. after some initial set up, got my tower defense game running on the gamepad. I need to redo my rendering, as right now I have it to stretch down the TV view to the gamepad, which is resulting in obviously bad quality (hard to see in image though) as well as incorrect click position data. But that won't take too long to correct.

Got a lot of fun work ahead of me!

Been waiting on my devkit :/ Says it shipped on the 16th but still nothing :(

rottame

Let's say I wanted to have the game I'm currently working on on Vita instead of mobile as I thought until now. What do I need to do, and what would be the costs? (I'm using Unity)

Let's say I wanted to have the game I'm currently working on on Vita instead of mobile as I thought until now. What do I need to do, and what would be the costs? (I'm using Unity)

You would need two things. A vita devkit and the vita unity license. For the devkit you need to go here http://us.playstation.com/develop/ . Unity for Vita is still in beta. Once you are in with Sony, they will get it to you. (btw the PS4 unity beta starts in February from what I hear)

As for costs, the people I have talked with have told me that it's pretty easy to get a loaner devkit at no cost. The Unity license will be pricey, but again I was told that it is possible for Sony to work with you to defray all or part of that cost.

JulianImp

As for costs, the people I have talked with have told me that it's pretty easy to get a loaner devkit at no cost. The Unity license will be pricey, but again I was told that it is possible for Sony to work with you to defray all or part of that cost.

Talking about Unity licenses, is anyone developing or intending to develop things for WiiU using Unity? I'd like to know how pricy a license is and whether they force you to buy a pro PC license as well, and I guess I won't be getting any information from e-mailing Unity directly until I've become a licensed developer.

Got approved recently and instantly subbed to this thread.

I've been wanting to design a game for the longest time and this thread has kept alive my hopes/learning routines for the past few months.

I started with UDK but moved to Unity to give it a shot and coding is just the hardest thing to get my head around.

Story, characters, art. Fairly easy for me but actually learning code breaks my head so far.
Can any one recommend any tutorials for c# that are relatively friendly?

Hope this is the right thread to post in ^^

GulAtiCa

Took this picture after advancing my game to level 57 on Wii U. Technically it's impossible to get to this level, but neat anyways!

Been waiting on my devkit :/ Says it shipped on the 16th but still nothing :(

Did you check the tracking number? Also, is it the 1st shipment or 2nd shipment? The 1st shipment is to UPs from NOA, which should be 1 or 2 business days. And the 2nd shipment is from UPS to you, which should take 2 days. Basically check your emails, you should have received many updated from them.

Blizzard

Banned
The Wii U devkit program sounds so tempting, and I like working with new hardware, but I have to remind myself that if I didn't even have the dedication to finish a game engine on Windows, I would sure have difficulty finding time and dedication to support two platforms. :p

rottame

Got approved recently and instantly subbed to this thread.

I've been wanting to design a game for the longest time and this thread has kept alive my hopes/learning routines for the past few months.

I started with UDK but moved to Unity to give it a shot and coding is just the hardest thing to get my head around.

Story, characters, art. Fairly easy for me but actually learning code breaks my head so far.
Can any one recommend any tutorials for c# that are relatively friendly?

Hope this is the right thread to post in ^^

Personally I found that a combination of Codecademy (Javascript track) and Unity Tutorials can be pretty effective. Of course the best way would be to have one or more developer friends who can help you after you spent four hours in a row trying to fix some script that refuses to work. But the basis can be learnt relatively easily.

EDIT: I found it quite easy to learn Javascript first via Codecademy and then switch to C#. But my business partner is a C# developer by trade, so it was easier for me. I don't know if, as a beginner, is better to start directly with C#.

Started testing Unity a while back and just messing around I found it incredible that you can get a bare bones environment up and running in no time with zero experience. Very inspiring stuff that pushes me to learn more about the engine and game development itself.

Raonak

Banned
Now that i've completed the combat engine, I thought it would be about time to make a title screen, which slowly evolved into making a intro art.

Pixel art style, I'm really liking it.

Ze5w4uT.png

EDIT: heres the full album now!
http://imgur.com/a/Q6cAj

GulAtiCa

So with my testing, I noticed that at lv 50, it's impossible to do any damage to enemies in my game. Even with having over a $1000000000000, it was worthless. And that was with cheating, heh.

I think I need to redo my upgrade pricing. Right now every upgrade lvl is an increase of 50%. So if the first upgrade cost $50, then second cost $75, and then $112 (rounded). This is of course fine for the lower levels, and helps to increase the challenge, but after 10 uses it becomes close to $3000. Thus making it not worth it to upgrade anymore. I think I might change it to 25% or 30% increase instead. That or start at 50% increase and slowly change the increase% to 25% or so as time goes on to keep it challenging at first, but not so impossible to do anything later on.

Sanic

The Wii U devkit program sounds so tempting, and I like working with new hardware, but I have to remind myself that if I didn't even have the dedication to finish a game engine on Windows, I would sure have difficulty finding time and dedication to support two platforms. :p

Is your interest in making a game, or making an engine?

There's an article i saw recently (that I can no longer find, sigh) that talked about the common "trap" that people fall into with spending a ton of time working on game systems/engines and building great code, instead of getting the game done.

I guess at some point you have to focus on the end goal, and not get wrapped up in the means with which you're getting there.

bumpkin

There's an article i saw recently (that I can no longer find, sigh) that talked about the common "trap" that people fall into with spending a ton of time working on game systems/engines and building great code, instead of getting the game done.

I guess at some point you have to focus on the end goal, and not get wrapped up in the means with which you're getting there.
As one of those people who has been in that trap, it's not a bad idea to consider things you may want to support in the future while building the foundation now. The trick is knowing when to say "Enough is enough" and get on with building someone atop the engine. :)

razu

Yo yo yo!

I've been away on holiday, and when I get back Amazon have put Chopper Mike up as Free App Of The Day! 92,000 downloads so far :D

Pity I can't do a free promo on Google Play, but... them's the rules!

Anustart

Took this picture after advancing my game to level 57 on Wii U. Technically it's impossible to get to this level, but neat anyways!

Did you check the tracking number? Also, is it the 1st shipment or 2nd shipment? The 1st shipment is to UPs from NOA, which should be 1 or 2 business days. And the 2nd shipment is from UPS to you, which should take 2 days. Basically check your emails, you should have received many updated from them.

Where do I check this tracking number? In the email it just says "Pickup" as the carrier? And it shows it was scheduled to deliver on the 17th.

Does anyone here have an 5th generation iPod Touch and/or an iPhone 4S who would be interested in testing out Generations in a few weeks time?

Ashodin

Working on Sharpened Wit today... getting the letters to only show up when you use the ability... will be totally awesome when it's ready!

GulAtiCa

Where do I check this tracking number? In the email it just says "Pickup" as the carrier? And it shows it was scheduled to deliver on the 17th.

Check your other emails. Pickup was for a different local shipping company to take it to UPS. You most likely got a another email that day on the 17th. Check your spam folder, or just check a few days back in your emails.

If you don't receive it by tomorrow, you should probably contact them. Send an email to the one listed on their site (listed somewhere, not sure if on main page, look near the order process area), or post in their dev forum (though email would be better)

Anustart

Check your other emails. Pickup was for a different local shipping company to take it to UPS. You most likely got a another email that day on the 17th. Check your spam folder, or just check a few days back in your emails.

If you don't receive it by tomorrow, you should probably contact them. Send an email to the one listed on their site (listed somewhere, not sure if on main page, look near the order process area), or post in their dev forum (though email would be better)

Yeah, there was a newer email I missed. Says it's scheduled for tomorrow :3

after some graduate school critiques, work on my game is moving forward... just started on the next character... this is only the head so far for when the main hero shows up in the game over screen. It's a priest bear named Jesus Santos Bear. He is basically going to be dressed similar to the Pope.

Colors are not final and I still have to draw out the body.

Blizzard

Banned

I want to make a game, but maintain control over it. I have a fairly long history of messing with stuff like UDK, but always ending up in rabbit holes because I'm one of the 4 people in the world trying some weird thing the engine wasn't meant to do. If I tried to develop for a console and was forced into using Unity or something, then I'd have to actually focus on hiring an artist and making a game and discovering my game idea is terrible, and that's no fun!

Lautaro

I want to make a game, but maintain control over it. I have a fairly long history of messing with stuff like UDK, but always ending up in rabbit holes because I'm one of the 4 people in the world trying some weird thing the engine wasn't meant to do. If I tried to develop for a console and was forced into using Unity or something, then I'd have to actually focus on hiring an artist and making a game and discovering my game idea is terrible, and that's no fun!

You don't lose control of the game by using an engine... still it would be nice to know what kind of special features are you aiming for (or it's a secret?) that require a custom engine.

And that last part may have been just a joke but if you are serious, you shouldn't feel that way, ideas need to be tested and smashed so they reach their true potential. That's why I posted my project here so somebody tells me how my idea/execution suck... maybe they are right and I'm in time to improve it.

JulianImp

after some graduate school critiques, work on my game is moving forward... just started on the next character... this is only the head so far for when the main hero shows up in the game over screen. It's a priest bear named Jesus Santos Bear. He is basically going to be dressed similar to the Pope.

Colors are not final and I still have to draw out the body.

I'm loving the art style. Looking forward to see the finished game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom