• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

Well got damn. I cannot get this demo game to run on the devkit. Unity throws me 11 conversion job errors :/

Edit: I'm an idiot, forgot to install the license for MULTI.

2nd Edit: And I'm still an idiot because I cannot figure out how to display on the gamepad. Demo has a separate cam for tv and pad, but I cannot see anything in either objects scripts that denote how this is done.

Figured that one out :/ So simple lol.

Ashodin

aABxU1L.png

Awww shit a wild PC screenshot appears. Some stuff not final, but I started working on it today!

MrOddbird

Neo Member
Figured it would be a good time to post a screenshot.

Katakomb's developement continues. I still have a lot of work to do, but things are looking quite good right now.

Knowing that Outlast and Amnesia: Machine For Pigs were right around the corner, I tried to sneak the trailer out just before the games released. Well it certainly did gain some attention, but not as much as I expected. Perhaps that was for the best, because I think when players do not have any expectations, will make for the best reactions.

I really hope that the game releases in the next six months.

I work on the project daily, but I still have to study a lot, so I might have to take a break, especially when the new courses start in October.

In this shot, I worked on giving the lights a subtle volymetric look with halo effects. There's also a cheap grain filter, which is made by having a plane right in front of the camera. The plane offsets the material's property, giving a very interesting look. It looks so much better in motion.

Right now I'm focusing on building the events in the game and trying to flesh the story out, filling the enviroments with small details. There's also a troubling puzzle regarding the Unity's audio: when the game is having too many AudioSource playing at once, some of the sounds stop.

I need to implement a good way to handle, which AudioSources to stop and wich ones to play.

Great to see all the projects here! Ghost Song and Wordsmith look especially good considering how they looked just a short while ago.

Keep up the good work!

V_Arnold

I firmly believe in "destiny" when wonderful coincidences happen, so I shall share my story :p

Last week, my pc's PSU died (as in: i shut the pc down one night, and no answer, no beep, no fans, nothing, no led, no voltage in the rig, when the next morning I am trying to turn it off).

So I needed to get my old pc back to be able to continue with my life. Now, this is an Athlon Xp 2600+ (1.9ghz :p) with XP and some very bad radeon card (9200? I do not even know anymore). Needless to say, the unoptimized code that I ran on my better PC ran like dogshit on this one - with current HTML5, canvas context alpha changes just kill the older GPU/CPU combo of mine.

But at the end of the day, the past few nights I spent an hour or two optimizing the code (it has a puzzle-quest like main interface with 20gems that you can make combos off), and it is finally at the stage of running relatively smoothly, with very few hiccups.

After a few different engine optimizations (and starting them from scratch again, one platformer, one puzzle, one rpg), and with this one running on this old rig...I can safely say that I am starting to get the hang of this.

So yeah, destiny. Without this PSU error, I would not have bothered to optimize this much, at least not at this point in development. But since the whole RPG layer is missing on top of the puzzle code right now, this was the perfect time to optimize this particular aspect of the game.

p.s. If anyone has questions about using buffer canvases, optimizing redraws, minimizing canvas clears, just ask :p

Ashodin

I'm thinking of having the LT and RT on a 360 controller erase and attack, so you can click fast on the fly while selecting letters.

Feep

Banned
This view is crazy zoomed out...you can get literally 25x closer at full resolution (32640 x 19200). There's also a GAF logo hidden in there somewhere, at full res.

Mission 5!

nighttimeonthebaseyo.png

GulAtiCa

I started work on the work on the Leaderboard today. Mainly doing local right now. Will tackle the online stuff afterwards. Also got saving done, so can now save a rankings for each map. Not entirely sure how to make it look exactly. But I'll think of something, or at least get some ideas from other games with leaderboards.

I really don't have too much left before I start work on graphics/music.

Basically the only pure coding I have left is the following: Additional maps, Leaderboards local, Leaderboards online, Game Balancing, and new display for Gamepad to suit the game better (tab windows).

JWong

Banned
I have a question for those on Android with f2p (if any...).

How does Google take a cut of any microtransaction? I'm thinking that they only take cuts of purchases off Google Play, but once it's a purchase in the game, it must be done some other way.

Edit: Nevermind, I see that Google enforces their in-app billing API so that no one can use third party transaction processing. Interesting. 30% cut from all transactions?

Jobbs

Banned
this should make some of you sticklers happy.

run right:

runright.gif

run left:

runleftb.gif

beyond that, we'll have a more contrasty, blended look in the actual game because I'll apply layering effects and various tweaks to the art as a whole. So it'll look more like this in the game:

postfx4.jpg

It isn't visible at this resolution...

nice work feep, and I too will have some cool neogaf hidden goodies in my game. :D

Galdelico

run right:

runright.gif

run left:

runleftb.gif

Yeah, that's brilliant.

I'm doing the very same with my character (the flip thing is connected with the combat system, so it's quite a big deal in terms of gameplay) but in general I love this kind of attention to detail, even when it's purely visual.
Very well done. :)

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, that's brilliant.

I'm doing the very same with my character (the flip thing is connected with the combat system, so it's quite a big deal in terms of gameplay) but in general I love this kind of attention to detail, even when it's purely visual.
Very well done. :)

thanks, and got any examples of your character in motion?

Galdelico

thanks, and got any examples of your character in motion?

Not yet, but it's because of some good news actually.

Aside from a couple of fellow Gaffers I'm talking to about combat system and coding, a proper animator joined me this week, which is awesome since we can now bring the whole project to the next level (specifically, a fully animated trailer showcasing the main features of the game). I'm truly super excited about it!

F-Pina

And here it is! Our cover for "Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon"!
Lot's of work has been poured into our game from everyone and the cover is just another example of some great ideas coming together. Keep in mind that all the character in the cover are doing something that correlates to their actions in the game. Even the guy who commited suicide with 14 stabs to the back has 14 stabs in his back :p

cover_murderhotellisbon_small.jpg

We also started recording our music live with a small orquestra composed of friends and colleagues and it is coming along fantastic. My brother is in charge of composing and conducting the entire thing and I can't wait to ear it all in the game :)
And we also have an invited band that also finished recording one of the main tunes for the game. It is absolutely incredible how everyone is giving so much for so little.

As for the game, we have been in Alpha for some time, trying to get it all together and clean out most of the bugs. We start testing the game in IST (Instituto Superior Técnico) here in Portugal next week with the help of the class that is learning programming for videogames.

Oh! And this was the screenshot for last Saturday:
screenshot_anim_06.gif

Hydrargyrus

Hi!

I would like to show you a game that is being made by Kraken Empire, a studio formed only by my brother-in-law with a friend/partner. It's called Kromaia

Kromaia_Cover.jpg

I can't tell you more about the state of development. At this moment is playable, at least, in various modes. Now they are in the Steam Greenlight and they have started a crowdfounding campaign for the latest stages of the development.

The game is a physics-based open world, where you can move freely. There are 4 or 5 worlds, each one with one colour and in each world you have some objectives but you can explore the entire solar system and do some type of side quests.

There are 4 types of space ships, each one with two different weapons.

If you like to see more about the game, you can see several videos in the steam page and in his indiegogo page:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181741121

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kromaia

I will leave you a couple of gifs:

Kromaia_Dimension_Theutus.gif

Kromaia_13_e.gif

Kromaia_Dimension_Vermis.gif

Kromaia_12_e.gif

I hope you like it!!

b0b

Neo Member
this looks reeeeeeally cool!

I wanna play it!

their strech goal for Mac/Linux versions is a bit too high imo ;(

Feep

Banned
More to share:

The "Target 6 and 7" things need to disappear when the enemies die, I have to brighten up the UI, too, but it's STARTING TO LOOK LIKE A GAME YOU GUYS

(No you won't need to say "Fire" that many times, the AI right now is borked)

OMGItsARealGame.png

Turfster

More to share:

The "Target 6 and 7" things need to disappear when the enemies die, I have to brighten up the UI, too, but it's STARTING TO LOOK LIKE A GAME YOU GUYS

That looks great. Did you manage to find a solution to the navmesh thing?
I've been banging my head against the wall for the last few hours because my minimum OBB code for a given 2D n-gon is wrong, for some reason... and I really, really, really need it to work -_-

Feep

Banned
That looks great. Did you manage to find a solution to the navmesh thing?
For the most part, yeah. It's a little complicated...I had to implement an Off-Mesh Link "reservation" system, because you can't have more than one agent on an OML at any given time...but it's good enough for now, I think = D

Turfster

For the most part, yeah. It's a little complicated...I had to implement an Off-Mesh Link "reservation" system, because you can't have more than one agent on an OML at any given time...but it's good enough for now, I think = D

If it works, it works! (until it doesn't anymore)

Jobbs

Banned
Hehe, you guys are crazy. I had strongly considered doing this for Dust:AET but just didn't have the memory budget. Also, I'm less crazy.

Maybe a little crazy, but at the same time it's a bit apples and oranges. Dust is considerably more animated, with its many melee moves. It's hard enough (at least for me) to figure out how to animate melee moves, doing it from multiple angles would be pure insanity.

If I was doing a melee combo game (which I have many ideas for and may be my next game after GS) I'll probably just be flipping things left and right.

Jobbs

Banned
More to share:

(No you won't need to say "Fire" that many times, the AI right now is borked)

OMGItsARealGame.png

This is looking cool. So what's the deal here, kind of an xcom type deal? jagged alliance? I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know a great deal about your project.

Feep

Banned
This is looking cool. So what's the deal here, kind of an xcom type deal? jagged alliance? I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know a great deal about your project.
How odd. BECAUSE I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU, JOBBS

*ahem*

X-COM is the one of the closest analogs, but even that isn't that close, because 1) TCAE is voice-controlled, 2) it's in realtime, and 3) there's an extremely heavy focus on narrative. But the game looks and feels relatively similar in many ways.

I'll be putting out a video in a week or two that'll really give a good sense of what it feels like, even though it'll be quite basic from a strategic perspective.

asa

Hi!

I would like to show you a game that is being made by Kraken Empire, a studio formed only by my brother-in-law with a friend/partner. It's called Kromaia

20130922085054-Kromaia_Cover.jpg

If you like to see more about the game, you can see several videos in the steam page and in his indiegogo page:

I hope you like it!!

Loving this! Aesthetics are really close to what I aim in my own stuff.

There's also a trailer I found trought the indiegogo site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twhrwCCzt_o cool stuff!

F-Pina

Hi!

I can't tell you more about the state of development. At this moment is playable, at least, in various modes. Now they are in the Steam Greenlight and they have started a crowdfounding campaign for the latest stages of the development.

The game is a physics-based open world, where you can move freely. There are 4 or 5 worlds, each one with one colour and in each world you have some objectives but you can explore the entire solar system and do some type of side quests.

Kromaia_13_e.gif

Kromaia_12_e.gif

I hope you like it!!

This loos very good.
Excellent work with the design and motion. Congrats.

Jobbs

Banned
How odd. BECAUSE I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU, JOBBS

*ahem*

X-COM is the one of the closest analogs, but even that isn't that close, because 1) TCAE is voice-controlled, 2) it's in realtime, and 3) there's an extremely heavy focus on narrative. But the game looks and feels relatively similar in many ways.

I'll be putting out a video in a week or two that'll really give a good sense of what it feels like, even though it'll be quite basic from a strategic perspective.

I'll buy it at a high price.

Hi!

Kromaia_13_e.gif

Kromaia_12_e.gif

I hope you like it!!

This looks great, Someone should probably make a thread.

F-Pina

Thank you all for the support!!

I really appreciate your comments!
I'm asking the moderation to do it. I don't want to screw it up...

If someone else does it that does not belong to your team or company it should be ok.
At least that's how I think the rules are set.

Jobbs

Banned
Thank you all for the support!!

I really appreciate your comments!

I'm asking the moderation to do it. I don't want to screw it up...

your game looks really cool at first glance, I like the use of color, but I don't know a lot about it. maybe post more and talk about the game more and someone will be drawn in and make a thread. personally I'm still brand new to the game, just going by those gifs.

edit: derp, didn't even see that there's a crowd funding campaign going. checking it out.

Mornin' Indie Gaf! Man there's so much talent in here it's kind of intimidating, but there's no point in not sharing, so here goes.

Been trying my hand at environment art.
ss9-28.png

And toying with some parallax and layout stuff.
ss9-28.gif

I'm still learning quite a bit about pixel art, and solo development in general. It really is wildly different from working with a team. It's occasionally overwhelming but enjoyably challenging.

Hi!

I hope you like it!!

Good God that is gorgeous! Great work! Good luck with your campaign!

off to a good start. what tools you using to develop?
Thanks! That means a lot coming from you. Your stuff is really awesome.

Currently I'm using Construct 2. I've considered switching to Unity 2D when that launches since I'm still fairly early in the project, but realistically, Construct 2 does everything I need it too and it's faster for me to program in. I'm doing all my art in Photoshop. Not sure if it's the best thing for pixel art but I'm comfortable with it and it makes managing some things easier.

Jobbs

Banned

Currently I'm using Construct 2. I've considered switching to Unity 2D when that launches since I'm still fairly early in the project, but realistically, Construct 2 does everything I need it too and it's faster for me to program in. I'm doing all my art in Photoshop. Not sure if it's the best thing for pixel art but I'm comfortable with it and it makes managing some things easier.

I was getting into Construct 2 shortly before launching the Kickstarter. Seemed very promising; Was just starting to get my head around it. I'd definitely consider making a game using this, as a solo project, at some point in the future. The very amazing The Iconoclasts was made with C2.

How are you going about world building in C2? If I recall, there was no proper tile placing system built into C2. It was either use a really impractical process or use external editors.

I've made my share of pixel art, and for that I don't think it matters that much what program you use. I use photoshop for it as well.

Good luck with the game, I look forward to seeing/learning more.

I was getting into Construct 2 shortly before launching the Kickstarter. Seemed very promising; Was just starting to get my head around it. I'd definitely consider making a game using this, as a solo project, at some point in the future. The very amazing The Iconoclasts was made with C2.

I've made my share of pixel art, and for that I don't think it matters that much what program you use. I use photoshop for it as well.

Good luck with the game, I look forward to seeing/learning more.

Awesome! I thought Noitu Love 2 was really great, and Iconoclasts looks really stellar.

Thanks! Ill definitely keep posting in here as I progress. The amount of excellence that comes through this thread is really inspiring.

charsace

Which camera would be easier to do 2d in in Unity? In orthro you have to fake things to get stuff like background scrolling going. Though in perspective you don't have to worry about much.

I don't know much about Unity, but I'm using it now and it isn't hard to get 3d working. To imitate classic 2d games in how they are made you just have to set up an orthro camera and use the z axis for layering and draw order if want.

GulAtiCa

I started work on my second map for my game yesterday. Decided to do that now and come back to the leaderboards later. Anyways, this map is quite different then my open empty one due to the 2 bases and that it's suppose to be inside an astroid/etc. This means walls for the enemies and bot drones to not fly through. So I've been coding the walls and a script to check to make sure my paths don't go through a wall/etc.

Really amazed by how fast things run on the Wii U. I have a bunch of things running, including the main render, that is taking less then 5ms.

@Hydrargyrus: your game looks amazing!

Blizzard

Banned
I suppose I will at least try applying to the Nintendo devkit loaner program to see what happens. If anyone has any particular advice about what to expect or what I need to have ready, if anything, please let me know. Finding a time to talk to them if they call me will be difficult in itself since I work during the day.

Which camera would be easier to do 2d in in Unity? In orthro you have to fake things to get stuff like background scrolling going. Though in perspective you don't have to worry about much.

Isn't ortho pretty much required for traditional 2D? With perspective you'd be introducing a lot of scaling and such that I think would be pretty hard to manage.

If you're doing a "2.5D" style game I think either could work.

charsace

Isn't ortho pretty much required for traditional 2D? With perspective you'd be introducing a lot of scaling and such that I think would be pretty hard to manage.

You could use the perspective camera to do 2D without any meshes that look like they use 3 axes.

Sycle

Neo Member

run right:

runright.gif

run left:

runleftb.gif

Ahaha I love little details like this!!!

This game looks incredible!

I've been making slow progress on Assault Android Cactus (Paz is in London right now (!!!) and I've been getting dragged around a bit lately myself) but I did get the texture finished on the second boss, Vespula!

boss_queen_texture.jpg

Pretty traditional paint, but with specular and a light bump map in game she comes up pretty alright I reckon :)

Feep

Banned

As long as you keep all sprites on a particular depth, there shouldn't be any issues...the issue becomes depth sorting. I think tk2d has a "Depth" setting for sprites? If not, you'll need to use the actual z component to let Unity know what's drawn in front of what, and that can get tricky...too much separation and perspective becomes an issue, too little and z-fighting becomes an issue.

Tread carefully. I would roll orthographic unless you're planning on TONS of parallax, and even then, it isn't super difficult to code in parallax yourself. = P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom