• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking up my Wii U kit today. Getting excited! I know Blizzard and GulAtiCa are in the program. Are any other GAFers developing for Wii U?

I ordered mine last week but considering I'm in Australia, I'm not sure how long it's gonna take to get here :(
I've been working on two games over the last year, but it's nowhere near the stage that I'd be proud of showing them

pixelpai

Neo Member
Picking up my Wii U kit today. Getting excited! I know Blizzard and GulAtiCa are in the program. Are any other GAFers developing for Wii U?

I haven't ordered a kit yet. I first want to finish my ios-game (twitter: @pixelplant_ios). I also still haven' t decided whether to go with html5 or with unity. But my next game is definitely going to be somehting with the WiiU in mind.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I ordered mine last week but considering I'm in Australia, I'm not sure how long it's gonna take to get here :(
I've been working on two games over the last year, but it's nowhere near the stage that I'd be proud of showing them

Can we become Nintendo developers easily in Australia as well?

Raonak

Banned
Woot! Got my new enemy working :D
uHFJHKb.png
avi3h0v.png

Name is currently Leafchop. tends to keep it's distance, and shoot spinning leaves at you.
kinda exciting, as it's the first enemy I've made in months. Since I've got the combat system working, I can start making more enemies to populate the world.

Im thinking of really fleshing out the AI, currently it's just basic state based. But I think I want to add personalities, so when a monster spawns, it gets assigned a personality-> agressive, passive, cautious, curious etc. that will determine how that enemy will act. This means even the same type of enemy can vary in behaviour.

(for more info about this project: click here)

Makai

I am in USA and it took about 3 weeks from approval for kit to arrive. Maybe proximity to HQ counts for something :p

F-Pina

Hey fellow developers.
We have been so busy with our beta version of the game that YET AGAIN I don't have the time to read and talk about what all of you are working on :( I won't vote (again) on the best indies of October since there is no time to play anything really.

Anyway, just wanted to announce we put up "Murder in the Hotel Lisbon" as an entrant for the IGF 2014 awards. We are not hoping to win anything since the competition is fierce but we are at least representing our country, Portugal :)

Keep up the good work fellow gaffers! Lot's of promising games here :)
Oh!, and here is the IGF entrant link -> http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2014.php?id=1824

Blizzard

Banned

Yeah, I got my kit set up yesterday. It's neat.

Used a two monitor setup back in the days.

Now moving rapidly my eyes from a monitor to an other makes my head hurts real bad :(
Because of using two monitors so long, or because of something unrelated? :(

GulAtiCa

Glad to see so many people getting Wii U dev kits.

I actually just signed up with ESRB this past day. I fill out the ESRB questionnaire in a week or 2 to get my rating.

razu

oh wow, I was going over a load of old GBA carts which I gave to my brother along with my launch DS phat and found a magic card, which is one of the first flash gba rom carts with only something like 8megabit storage, really shitty but anyway I stuck it in and turned the DS on.

Some of you who know me might remember this back from when some software called SV4 was being made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBykUfHOHg

rPnuEmr.png

It's one of my older attempts in making a gba game of Nakiti Generations! I forgot about this as I thought that I lost it all on my old computer, you can run around and aim your gun but nothing else, there was a version which allowed you to adventure around a stage, shoot bullets megaman style and find a hidden room with brand logos in it, lol, it was used in a job interview before I moved away from home to go to university.

Ha, nice! I want to do a sprite based game in the future. That has a lovely pace to it.

Man, GBA, what a cool machine..

Ha, nice! I want to do a sprite based game in the future. That has a lovely pace to it.

Man, GBA, what a cool machine..

Did you ever do anything else with your car drifting tests you were showing off a few months back? If there is one thing iOS really needs it's a good feeling rally game ;)

The Colin McRae Rally codies made this year for iOS is an ok game, but inferior in every way outside of graphics to the original McRae 2.

Atruvius

I'm in a mobile game project, it's still in very early stages. The game would be for Android and would possibly have some sort of highscore ranking. Do you need to code in your own database or does Android have a ready made solution for this(Play Games?)?

Cheers.

Raonak

Banned
Aaaand finished the Leafchop enemy :D

>>If you can't follow whats happening in that gif, the leafchop attacks by chucking leaves. So I parry the first one, evident by the blue flash, then when he chucks the second leaf, I dash. Dashing gives you invincibility frames, so I go through it, then connect a stinger attack, which finishes off the leafchop.

---

I designed my first 2 real maps, and was wondering why it felt barren. something felt empty. It was bugging me for 2 days until I looked at my old beta map, and realised I hadn't added coins. Adding coins changed everything. now the map design feels satisfying. you kill enemies, walk to next area, getting coins along the way. Feels nicely satisfying.
I think it's really coming together now. I still feel like I need to add something else... I've got enemies, coins, pickups and chests.

I think im gonna start working on the progression system. being able to spend skill points atleast.

GulAtiCa

I think I'm going to take a break from working on graphics for my game tonight and try to start making an online version of the game (on the web). This is so I can get some feedback as well as so I can get someone to make some sounds/music for me. I'm sure having it available to play might help whoever I might get/hire to create music for it. heh

Hey dudes! A friend and I are participating in a game jam and I've posted a couple updates to my tumblr but I thought I'd share with you guys:

Me and a few friends are taking a break from getting ready to launch GOTMPodcast.com to participate in a Game Jam! This game jam is called Robot Dice and it’s being hosted by Bmore Indie Games. The basic premise is that you make a game in a month based on a title generated by a video game name generator (you can generate as many times as you like).

We initially decided on the title “Russian Yeti Paratroopers” (I mean really - how can you turn that down?). The first week was actually pretty rough to be honest. We couldn’t come up with a design we all were in love with and we all were extremely busy. A week passed and the closest thing we had to a high level design was a tower defense like game that might have eventually looked something like this:

tumblr_inline_mvgfnfwpp21r9b4dr.png

To top it off, one of our teammates had to drop out due to work and school both ramping up. Rather than let this deter us, we decided to go back to the drawing board and start fresh; cue the magical Robot Dice. After lots of rolling and pondering, Dan and I (the two remaining teammates) fell in love with Pro Sewer Polo.

Pro Sewer Polo felt like the basis for the local multiplayer game we’ve been itching to make anyway so we jumped at the opportunity. We immediately researched water polo to see what we could take away from it. While we’re going to iterate on some of the specifics, the design we landed on is a 1v1 game where each player controls two swimmers; one with the left analog stick and one with the right. As a swimmer with the ball you’ll have the ability to pass and shoot. That’s all I can really talk about right now.

As for what we have so far, Dan’s got an awesome swimmer modeled:

tumblr_inline_mvgfn8j4SN1r9b4dr.png

And I’ve been coding the movement logic in a simple scene that looks like this:

tumblr_inline_mvgfvbWVhP1r9b4dr.png

So one week down and we’re really happy with our concept. We’re excited about the next three and can’t wait to show off a final product!

Here's a gif of the latest scene:

0PW5vk9.gif

Pales in comparison to all of the awesome stuff here but it's a lot of fun so far :)

razu

Did you ever do anything else with your car drifting tests you were showing off a few months back? If there is one thing iOS really needs it's a good feeling rally game ;)

The Colin McRae Rally codies made this year for iOS is an ok game, but inferior in every way outside of graphics to the original McRae 2.

Ha, no, I've made lots of driving games, so it was more a test to see if I could get Unity to drive nicely. I got it doing what I wanted and left it at that. I probably will do a driving game in the future, but more along the lines of a hybrid of GTi Club and Neo Drift Out - so, high up camera, racing old Fiat 500s round sunny mediterranean old towns..

As an aside, I was a programmer on Colin McRae Rally 2 :D I left in 2002, but I've just gone back to work on... something special.

>>If you can't follow whats happening in that gif, the leafchop attacks by chucking leaves. So I parry the first one, evident by the blue flash, then when he chucks the second leaf, I dash. Dashing gives you invincibility frames, so I go through it, then connect a stinger attack, which finishes off the leafchop.

---

I designed my first 2 real maps, and was wondering why it felt barren. something felt empty. It was bugging me for 2 days until I looked at my old beta map, and realised I hadn't added coins. Adding coins changed everything. now the map design feels satisfying. you kill enemies, walk to next area, getting coins along the way. Feels nicely satisfying.
I think it's really coming together now. I still feel like I need to add something else... I've got enemies, coins, pickups and chests.

I think im gonna start working on the progression system. being able to spend skill points atleast.

I love the look and speed of this so far. :D

Ashodin

---

Grats on getting people on r/indiegaming excited!

ITS A MAP

worldmappc.gifghpsj.gif

GulAtiCa

Ok, got the web version of my Wii U game online! Check it out here: ZaciSa's Last Stand.

Currently only emulating the gamepad view. So map viewport is rather small compared to the TV's full view. I'll fix this tomorrow. Use arrow keys for now. Works best in Chrome only.

Feel free to try it out. Let me know what you think. Any issues you see or questions, let me know. Trying to get a feel for what people think. That and can now look for someone to help with music/sound effects. I have not really added explanations or made some things easier to understand, so some things might be confusing at first.

Do not use Firefox

Ferulci

Hi everybody,

We did a small game for the Magical Girl/Haloween game jam called Spelling Spells.
You play 3 sisters (not from the same father though) who must type their spells on the keyboard. We did more than 40 spells going from classical magical girl magic (in the name of the moon) to more games and movie tributes (street fighter, beetlejuice...)
The game can be played here (for free of course) :
http://cosmosestudios.com/Jeux/MagicalGirl/WordOfWarGirls/
Few screenshots :

bannieremagical.jpg

spellingspells_screen2.png

spellingspells_screen3.png

Even though it's a gamejam project, we still want to improve game balance and controls, so if you want to help us, let us know what you think on this topic or here (dont be afraid to be rude) :
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pW83znKnl9reOq5saOe4DqcKyKkYrLTajUhTkHfpl0M/viewform

Many thanks !

So I bought an iPod touch 5th gen, and I thought my iPhone 5 was thin and light, wow.

Good to finally know that Nakiti Generations iOS runs on the now slowest device I will support, as while the same chip is in a 4S that phone has a slightly better clock rate, ram and old 3.5" screen so it's a tiny bit better performance wise.

RIP iPhone 4 and 4g touch users, I can't really do much at this stage, MMF is just to resource heavy.

But this means that all my extra effects, animations and enemy encounters will look and play better!

GulAtiCa

Man, Firefox JS handle is slow!...

I was testing my beta game (check link a few posts up) in Firefox today, and noticed how slow everything ran. Something that would normally run at like 3 ms would take 50 ms... Which then makes Firefox not suitable for the game. Chrome only for now. Since the game is built for Wii U, and built for that very very very fast and steady speed of the Wii U, there is a good reason to stick to Chrome for trying it out. heh

Currently Firefox throws the game balance out the window with winning = easy. :lol

Cth

Pitched a concept to Nintendo and they loved it, got accepted, but I think I'm going to have to pass.. I'm already unemployed and going to school full time and about to lose my house... there's no way I can pay for the devkit and no time to work 24/7 those 3 months that it's free.

They're unsure of the status of apps currently and are in the middle of seeing if the concept might be better suited for an existing team or if I want to go ahead solo.

So frustrating.. wish I had a job, I'd do it :D

Jobbs

Banned
15k. Same as yours, actually. Seems a respectable goal.

I also need someone to make the thread for it, if any of you are takers.

I don't know all the particulars of your project, but my recommendation is to make sure that *just* meeting the goal would actually be enough to deliver on the promises in the campaign without worry or without things being uncomfortably tight.

I set $15k and I was being totally sincere in doing so, but now that I'm a bit further along and have some perspective, I do think it would have been tight as hell if we had just barely cleared the goal. Doable, but boy would it have been a lot less comfortable.

So when is it going up? Do you have a preview project up yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom