• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone going to a Global Game Jam in 2 weeks? I'll probably be at the one in Zurich.

Wanted to do it, but work put an end to that quickly.

New years resolution was to get back into game development. As such, starts and beginnings!

bitsandpieceslhjqj.gif

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
On a whim, I posted a gif of this little enemy killing test in my KS update.

tes4.gif

This needs tweaking, obviously, and some people noted the comedy of the head flying off. I think it's a difficult balance -- I want some satisfying spontaneity to the deaths, I think that feedback adds a lot, but I also don't want something to come off as "silly" in such a way that it detracts from the tone of the game.

If you think back to the games of this legacy, like Super Metroid and Castlevania SOTN, enemies sort of explode. So I sort of follow in this tradition and try to bring it forward a bit by adding some detail and gibs and stuff. But I certainly would never want something to make the game seem "silly" at any point. I guess I have this weird ability to accept things for being "video gamey" without being taken out of the experience.

Any thoughts on that?
It feels a little incoherent imo, i mean the enemy doesn't even feel the shots(=doesn't have impact/pain animations) like if the shots were not powerful but suddenly he explodes like if was hit by a missile.
I would do it in one of these two ways:
1)no impact/pain animations but a normal death with no explosion, like a zombie(=shots are not powerful)
2)add impact/pain animations and keep the explosion(=shots are powerful)

Don't give too much importance to my opinion though, i have weird tastes and ideas lol.

A follow-up question while we're still on the topic of Kickstarter: What are some things to not do or say in your fundraiser campaign? That is, not so much what is disallowed but more so what is considered tacky, ungraceful, and a general turn-off to your pitch. You guys have been pretty resourceful to each other, so I thought I might take what advice I can get early on before eventually delving into indie development.

razu

Thank you!

Haha, you need to rate more games to be cool! Mine was 90% cool. So close.

My rankings:

#18 Mood(Jam) 4.02
#39 Overall(Jam) 3.82
#51 Graphics(Jam) 4.28
#123 Audio(Jam) 3.36
#164 Fun(Jam) 3.16
#236 Theme(Jam) 2.85
#247 Humor(Jam) 2.43
#299 Innovation(Jam) 2.76

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't have much time to play other games, which is a shame. But after spending the whole weekend making a game, it wouldn't be popular in my house to then spend a few nights playing them :D

Jobbs said:
I paid $15 for it long before the sale and am happy to have done so. If a team of two puts out a game on this level, I'm happy to support it.

No doubt. I do understand that. But, as a consumer, I totally missed a good sale for an awesome looking game. Looks worth 15 bucks obviously, beats 60.

Anyway I have been churning the midnight oil on Unity and I'm finding that scripting with C# is very simple and the libraries are very helpful. I can't imagine how far I would have gotten (time-wise) as far as using C++ (which was my original goal; then again, everything goes back to C). Unity as a design tool in itself is very well done imo. Plus, support and online community make things so much easier for me. I should have a simple layout/prototype very soon, I have the illest idea.

cbox

Any good resources or first hand experience for setting a price for your game? We're getting closer to that point in our cycle. Not to mention signing a deal with our music guy and percentages vs other methods.

Yeah, that's a lot to ask for. Zeboyd recently Kickstarted Cosmic Star Heroine, exceeding their 100k goal. But they are relatively well-established and have a growing fanbase, along with a number of successful titles under their belt.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1596638143/cosmic-star-heroine-sci-fi-spy-rpg-for-pc-mac-ps4

They didn't show footage from the game, but I did help them put together a teaser, which I like to believe helped.

You either need some amazing footage or a really interesting and engaging pitch... preferably both.

@SlipperSlope: You already have two great people here to help, but I'll say it just the same.

The pitch video should be rehearsed, rerecorded, clear, and look like something you'd show someone to ask for $20,000 or $50,000, or whatever it is. Get a clear mic (Hell, I'll sell you my Blue Yeti for cheap), clear camera, and decide if your own personality and voice is good or bad for raising money based on what tone / sales pitch you are going for (i.e. sometimes gameplay footage, art slides, and trailers could be better suited, or get a voice actor)
I didn't feel much passion and humility in your video (and like the others already said asking 100k out the gate is insanely high, go check all of KS's successful fundraisers).

Combine that with no established base (Gameplay, art, past works) and it needs some work. The Cosmic Star Heroine pitch and video is a fantastic example of how to do it imo. Great talking about their project, past projects, where they are at, who and what they are currently doing, what backer involvement means, and really ASKING for pledges. Good passion, energy, and humble.

That said, all the best on your game and future KickStarters!

I think the main thing that makes it feel gamey (and obviously you have your own visions of your game) is that the head flies far too high and too fast. The little bits are light and have little mass so they can fly off quickly, but the head feels like it should have a lot of mass and maybe go up a tiny bit just before falling from gravity. $0.02.

I think your first stretch goal is quite ... strange too.
50% of your base funding only offering a single town and dungeon seems quite off.

Edit : after a second look, I think a lot of your stretch goals are.
- "Better story" doesn't bodes well, it's not something that can be bought. I think the problem is in the phrasing, but it's a tricky line.
- 50k for a hard mode, 50k for " more items ". That's, again, 50% of your base funding. And the same price than voice acting, which costs a lot, I think, compared to "hard mode".

I really like how people in here have a take on SlipperSlope's kickstarter
in helping him out. :+

@missile - It took me by total surprise. I'm loving it :) All of the advice that has been given has been golden, and I cannot thank you guys enough.

As for my game, well, it's a mix actually between Zelda, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, and Crystalis. The reason I say Zelda so much is because most people don't know of the other three. It is at its core an action-adventure RPG in a setting that frankly looks quite similar to the four titles mentioned. I don't plan to change the looks, but am having trouble coming up with a "hook", as someone else mentioned.

Ludum Dare results are out.

I improved my ranking in every category except for Theme (which I wasn't too concerned about to begin with).

Wish I had done better in graphics, but overall my scores were decent and I can't complain too much.

You're in #39 for the overall ranking out of 780 entries in the jam category, that's pretty impressive. Congrats.

Mine is #253 so... not great but I guess that's in the upper third, not too bad. :)

Anyone going to a Global Game Jam in 2 weeks? I'll probably be at the one in Zurich.

Hmm, interesting, I might check that out... Sounds extremely stressful to have a team of strangers depending on my game programming skills though. :| I'm hardly an expert.

Jack_AG

Banned
@missile - It took me by total surprise. I'm loving it :) All of the advice that has been given has been golden, and I cannot thank you guys enough.

As for my game, well, it's a mix actually between Zelda, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, and Crystalis. The reason I say Zelda so much is because most people don't know of the other three. It is at its core an action-adventure RPG in a setting that frankly looks quite similar to the four titles mentioned. I don't plan to change the looks, but am having trouble coming up with a "hook", as someone else mentioned.

SUPER LONG BULLSHIT POST INCOMING

They mentioned some great points and I'd like to add to another. I think the idea for your game is interesting, but that's about it. You are nowhere near ready for a kickstarter from what I've seen and read. Not trying to knock you - but I'll put it to you like this:

99% of Indie developers never make it past a proof of concept since that is THE hardest hurdle in creating a game and presenting it in such a way that warrants funding from Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Sony Pub Fund, etc.

99% of Indie developers that make it past that hurdle never push their game to release due to incomplete funding, changes (my god, changes) and not having a clear path to production.

You mentioned "hook". We will call this the one defining gameplay element that IS your game. What is it? How does it glue every other element of the game together? How is it so important that if you remove it, the entire game falls apart? How are other gameplay elements working together with this umbrella element to make that element fully shine?

I'll give you an example for our game. It's a single button that can be pressed at any time during gameplay and used as often as the player wishes called "Assassination". It's not what you think it means by the name. It's an ebb and flow. It's yin and yang. The driving factor to the gameplay is WHEN you need to push that button. It separates the good players from the bad. It is the action that feeds the player and allows him to continue to the next moment when he should press "assassinate". Granted, there are several other gameplay elements at work here - but they fall apart if this button is not utilized properly. It's not based on timing, it's based on how the player sets up the environment to make best use of that ability that drives the momentum forward.

Let's take a look at not-my-game: Portal 1 and 2. What is the single most important gameplay element that holds the entire game together? One might think it is the portal gun, since you are trying to utilize it to great effect to progress. Creating portals to move in/out of various areas of the game world is CRITICAL. But that's not the driving force behind the game. I'll easily argue the defining gameplay element is LEVEL AND PUZZLE DESIGN. Without it, no matter how great the platforming or portal gun is, it falls flat on its face.

You need to find your "hook", your umbrella, your single most important gameplay element that drives your game, that makes it special, stand out, unique. You need to figure it out and you need to polish it, nurture it and make it shine.

You need to bring this idea to proof of concept using screenshots, gameplay footage, design docs, etc to your funding campaign. You need to present this in such a way that people would want to just pay to WATCH someone else play the game.

When you think you have your proof of concept. Cut from it. Remove anything that's "too much" and stick to core elements. Less is more ESPECIALLY when it excels at what it is designed to do.

POC should not only present the core element to the prospective financier - it should also describe a clear path to completing your game, not just "12-16 months" but a timeline for development. That is part of the POC. You need to nail down EVERY detail of the game before moving to this since it is CRITICAL in maintaining a proper production schedule.

Compartmentalize. You don't need everyone working year round wasting resources waiting for person A to finish so person B can take over. Present this to the prospective financier, show you have a clear understanding of how best to use funding you will receive to get the most bang for your buck. Let everyone know exactly how each dollar will be spent (within reason) including stretch goals. Prepare for unknowns. Prepare for known unknowns. Prepare for unknown unknowns and convey how you will deal with these issues as they arise. What are your plans for when something goes south.

Lastly, above all, DO NOT ADD A THING. I don't care if you just came up with the BEST idea any developer has ever had in the history of historyness - leave it alone. Stick to your plan and stick to your timeline. Change is the bane that plagues every indie developer. "Maybe i can add this" or "I think i can make this better if i-". No. Don't. Don't fall into that trap. Know what you are doing every minute of the way. Know the game inside and out before going into full production. Everything should be laid out with a clear path to release. You should be able to play the entire game in your mind before the very first playable scene is created. You are an indie developer. You cannot afford to fumble, second guess or change anything. Doing so can and more than likely will lead to failure. You will know when you are ready for POC when you feel everything is falling into place and perfect. You are also your own worst critic. I've done some amazing work with audio production in the past that net me a few accolades. When I listen to my work? Mistakes, mistakes, garbage, this sounds like mud, this is ass, wtf was I thinking, etc. It is typical.

You want to come across as if you know how every second of development from that moment forth will go down. Not only that, you should know how every second of development from that moment forth will go down.

You will know when you are ready for POC when the idea - the idea and current progress for the "hook" carries with it as much excitement, love and happiness as the very moment, the very instant you thought of the it as it does witnessing it perform in real-time.

And, bro, IT'S FUCKING HARD. It's stupidly, insanely, idiotically, WTF hard.

Now take everything I just said with a grain of salt. Don't dwell on it. Don't dwell on what others here are saying. JUST DO. Go forth and DO. Create. Nurture. Love. DO.

EDarkness

*Lots of good things said*

Now take everything I just said with a grain of salt. Don't dwell on it. Don't dwell on what others here are saying. JUST DO. Go forth and DO. Create. Nurture. Love. DO.

This is good advice. Getting things done is hard...real hard, but ultimately it's about charging forward and just going for it. Good or bad, that's all you can do. This really can't be stressed enough.

Ashodin

Basically this: you need the absolute drive to complete and deliver on your vision. It's easy to say you want to make games, but fully delivering a completed game is more than half willpower.

Feep

Banned
You cannot afford to fumble, second guess or change anything.
I agree with most of what you said, but this can be a very dangerous mindset to take. No matter how cool it looks on paper, you have NO idea what's going to be fun, and what's going to work, before you actually put code down and run it. The core of your game should remain intact, but don't be afraid to be flexible and mess with things, even if they weren't part of your original vision.

As an example, spells in Sequence originally didn't have a cooldown timer. As a result, players would insta-cast something like five spells at the beginning of the battle, which 1) Meant every battle began the exact same way, 2) Meant that the player would perpetually be near zero MP, making the Max MP stat much less useful than it should have been, and 3) Meant that players would generally stick to casting their one or two most effective spells in terms of damage, and never any others.

It was a big tweak to add a cooldown, but it basically solved all of the above problems at once, and created a new layer of strategy. Don't be afraid to test and iterate, as long as it's controlled and methodical. Know your limits.

Jack_AG

Banned
I agree with most of what you said, but this can be a very dangerous mindset to take. No matter how cool it looks on paper, you have NO idea what's going to be fun, and what's going to work, before you actually put code down and run it. The core of your game should remain intact, but don't be afraid to be flexible and mess with things, even if they weren't part of your original vision.

As an example, spells in Sequence originally didn't have a cooldown timer. As a result, players would insta-cast something like five spells at the beginning of the battle, which 1) Meant every battle began the exact same way, 2) Meant that the player would perpetually be near zero MP, making the Max MP stat much less useful than it should have been, and 3) Meant that players would generally stick to casting their one or two most effective spells in terms of damage, and never any others.

It was a big tweak to add a cooldown, but it basically solved all of the above problems at once, and created a new layer of strategy. Don't be afraid to test and iterate, as long as it's controlled and methodical. Know your limits.
Im talking about post-proof of concept. Testing your gameplay mechanics are part of the proof of concept. If it isnt working before starting complete production, there's no point in starting production. You should know what works and what doesn't before a POC is presented.

Proof of Concept isnt "on paper" - it IS gameplay showing the elements at work, hence the "proof of".

Lissar

Reluctant Member
You're in #39 for the overall ranking out of 780 entries in the jam category, that's pretty impressive. Congrats.

Mine is #253 so... not great but I guess that's in the upper third, not too bad. :)

Well my goal was to get into the top 10 in art, but I guess not this time! Maybe I'll make it in April.

Someone reminded me that lots of people in the jam are working in groups or using assets from previous projects, of which I did neither (I treat it like the compo with one extra day). So I guess I should feel too bad about it. I am happy with my overall score!

Feep

Banned
Im talking about post-proof of concept. Testing your gameplay mechanics are part of the proof of concept. If it isnt working before starting complete production, there's no point in starting production. You should know what works and what doesn't before a POC is presented.

Proof of Concept isnt "on paper" - it IS gameplay showing the elements at work, hence the "proof of".
(shrug) The cooldown implementation was WELL after the POC phase. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been good to think of it beforehand, but the problems were really only evident later in the game with a wide variety of spells, after have gone through dozens and dozens of battles, and playtesting with people who *weren't* me, and didn't want to show off the shiny particle effects of every spell. = D Your approach seems to neglect playtesting entirely, where changes will be made necessarily according to valuable user feedback.

Again, don't be afraid to mess around, just avoid changing the core of the game.

Well, this just got more awesome. SlipperySlope, thanks for being open and inviting this criticism, your willingness to put yourself out there has created a lot of good posts.

One thing I would add, is a comment on the bolded. You should focus on creating a small, but committed fanbase for your game and grow from there. The people who know what Secret of Mana, The Illusion of Gaia, and Crystalis are are the exact people you want! If you feel that you need to (even slightly) misrepresent your games inspirations that should give you pause.

I agree with the sentiment that you need to refine what the core of your game is. I find that when I don't have that core down, it's easy to flail about and over-adorn what is there with fluff. You get this urge to make things bigger, more grand, and more complicated. Then you end up with a big, blustery pile of fluff that has no substance. You have to be absolutely sure about the soul of your game or there is no way it will survive the hell that is development.

When you are ready to Kickstart again, A few pieces of advice from someone who has backed a few but never run one.

1. Don't focus on yourself, focus on the game: We don't know who you are. It's cool that you like videogames, I like them too! It's cool that you are old, I am too! That information doesn't tell me anything about the game you are making or your ability to follow through.

2. Get help: Have many people go over your Pledge levels and stretch goals. As many eyes as possible. It's hard to get the distance to see these things objectively. Also if you can't put together a snazzy video yourself, get help from someone who can. Your video needs to have the same level of class and quality about it that people can expect from the final product.

3. Be exceptional: This sounds really pithy, I know, but it's true. You have to stand out, have that spark about your Kickstarter that shows that you can create great things. Think of your Kickstarter as a completed work that backers will use to judge your quality. I need to look at your pitch and feel that it was the product of talented, creative, people who pay attention to detail. This is foundational to the trust I need to build to give a total stranger money on the internet in exchange for a (possible) future game.

Jack_AG

Banned
(shrug) The cooldown implementation was WELL after the POC phase. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been good to think of it beforehand, but the problems were really only evident later in the game with a wide variety of spells, after have gone through dozens and dozens of battles, and playtesting with people who *weren't* me, and didn't want to show off the shiny particle effects of every spell. = D Your approach seems to neglect playtesting entirely, where changes will be made necessarily according to valuable user feedback.

Again, don't be afraid to mess around, just avoid changing the core of the game.
I'm unfamiliar with Sequence and you never stated issues arose after POC. Sooooo.... "Shrug" for lack of information. That being said, fixing issues is not and NEVER will be change for the sake of change. Those are two very different reasons separated by a very wide chasm.

Perhaps I wasnt clear enough in my original post. Fixing things is needed. Completely changing something because "what if" is never something you want to actively pursue without plenty PLENTY of play testing.

Suggesting my approch doesn't include playtesging... I mean... Really? Again, I may not have been 100% clear and spelled out every detail of game development from A to Z but the fact that you needed to dig so far to make these implications tells me enough: I highly doubt its my lack of clarity.

SUPER LONG BULLSHIT POST INCOMING

They mentioned some great points and I'd like to add to another. I think the idea for your game is interesting, but that's about it. You are nowhere near ready for a kickstarter from what I've seen and read. Not trying to knock you - but I'll put it to you like this:

99% of Indie developers never make it past a proof of concept since that is THE hardest hurdle in creating a game and presenting it in such a way that warrants funding from Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Sony Pub Fund, etc.

99% of Indie developers that make it past that hurdle never push their game to release due to incomplete funding, changes (my god, changes) and not having a clear path to production.

You mentioned "hook". We will call this the one defining gameplay element that IS your game. What is it? How does it glue every other element of the game together? How is it so important that if you remove it, the entire game falls apart? How are other gameplay elements working together with this umbrella element to make that element fully shine?

I'll give you an example for our game. It's a single button that can be pressed at any time during gameplay and used as often as the player wishes called "Assassination". It's not what you think it means by the name. It's an ebb and flow. It's yin and yang. The driving factor to the gameplay is WHEN you need to push that button. It separates the good players from the bad. It is the action that feeds the player and allows him to continue to the next moment when he should press "assassinate". Granted, there are several other gameplay elements at work here - but they fall apart if this button is not utilized properly. It's not based on timing, it's based on how the player sets up the environment to make best use of that ability that drives the momentum forward.

Let's take a look at not-my-game: Portal 1 and 2. What is the single most important gameplay element that holds the entire game together? One might think it is the portal gun, since you are trying to utilize it to great effect to progress. Creating portals to move in/out of various areas of the game world is CRITICAL. But that's not the driving force behind the game. I'll easily argue the defining gameplay element is LEVEL AND PUZZLE DESIGN. Without it, no matter how great the platforming or portal gun is, it falls flat on its face.

You need to find your "hook", your umbrella, your single most important gameplay element that drives your game, that makes it special, stand out, unique. You need to figure it out and you need to polish it, nurture it and make it shine.

You need to bring this idea to proof of concept using screenshots, gameplay footage, design docs, etc to your funding campaign. You need to present this in such a way that people would want to just pay to WATCH someone else play the game.

When you think you have your proof of concept. Cut from it. Remove anything that's "too much" and stick to core elements. Less is more ESPECIALLY when it excels at what it is designed to do.

POC should not only present the core element to the prospective financier - it should also describe a clear path to completing your game, not just "12-16 months" but a timeline for development. That is part of the POC. You need to nail down EVERY detail of the game before moving to this since it is CRITICAL in maintaining a proper production schedule.

Compartmentalize. You don't need everyone working year round wasting resources waiting for person A to finish so person B can take over. Present this to the prospective financier, show you have a clear understanding of how best to use funding you will receive to get the most bang for your buck. Let everyone know exactly how each dollar will be spent (within reason) including stretch goals. Prepare for unknowns. Prepare for known unknowns. Prepare for unknown unknowns and convey how you will deal with these issues as they arise. What are your plans for when something goes south.

Lastly, above all, DO NOT ADD A THING. I don't care if you just came up with the BEST idea any developer has ever had in the history of historyness - leave it alone. Stick to your plan and stick to your timeline. Change is the bane that plagues every indie developer. "Maybe i can add this" or "I think i can make this better if i-". No. Don't. Don't fall into that trap. Know what you are doing every minute of the way. Know the game inside and out before going into full production. Everything should be laid out with a clear path to release. You should be able to play the entire game in your mind before the very first playable scene is created. You are an indie developer. You cannot afford to fumble, second guess or change anything. Doing so can and more than likely will lead to failure. You will know when you are ready for POC when you feel everything is falling into place and perfect. You are also your own worst critic. I've done some amazing work with audio production in the past that net me a few accolades. When I listen to my work? Mistakes, mistakes, garbage, this sounds like mud, this is ass, wtf was I thinking, etc. It is typical.

You want to come across as if you know how every second of development from that moment forth will go down. Not only that, you should know how every second of development from that moment forth will go down.

You will know when you are ready for POC when the idea - the idea and current progress for the "hook" carries with it as much excitement, love and happiness as the very moment, the very instant you thought of the it as it does witnessing it perform in real-time.

And, bro, IT'S FUCKING HARD. It's stupidly, insanely, idiotically, WTF hard.

This is very insightful. Thank you! :)

You guys are right. I need a unique gameplay mechanic.

Well, this just got more awesome. SlipperySlope, thanks for being open and inviting this criticism, your willingness to put yourself out there has created a lot of good posts.

One thing I would add, is a comment on the bolded. You should focus on creating a small, but committed fanbase for your game and grow from there. The people who know what Secret of Mana, The Illusion of Gaia, and Crystalis are are the exact people you want! If you feel that you need to (even slightly) misrepresent your games inspirations that should give you pause.

I agree with the sentiment that you need to refine what the core of your game is. I find that when I don't have that core down, it's easy to flail about and over-adorn what is there with fluff. You get this urge to make things bigger, more grand, and more complicated. Then you end up with a big, blustery pile of fluff that has no substance. You have to be absolutely sure about the soul of your game or there is no way it will survive the hell that is development.

When you are ready to Kickstart again, A few pieces of advice from someone who has backed a few but never run one.

1. Don't focus on yourself, focus on the game: We don't know who you are. It's cool that you like videogames, I like them too! It's cool that you are old, I am too! That information doesn't tell me anything about the game you are making or your ability to follow through.

2. Get help: Have many people go over your Pledge levels and stretch goals. As many eyes as possible. It's hard to get the distance to see these things objectively. Also if you can't put together a snazzy video yourself, get help from someone who can. Your video needs to have the same level of class and quality about it that people can expect from the final product.

3. Be exceptional: This sounds really pithy, I know, but it's true. You have to stand out, have that spark about your Kickstarter that shows that you can create great things. Think of your Kickstarter as a completed work that backers will use to judge your quality. I need to look at your pitch and feel that it was the product of talented, creative, people who pay attention to detail. This is foundational to the trust I need to build to give a total stranger money on the internet in exchange for a (possible) future game.

Thank you! This is great advice too. This thread has been crazy lately with awesome advice. I love it!

Feep

Banned
I'm unfamiliar with Sequence and you never stated issues arose after POC. Sooooo.... "Shrug" for lack of information. That being said, fixing issues is not and NEVER will be change for the sake of change. Those are two very different reasons separated by a very wide chasm.

Perhaps I wasnt clear enough in my original post. Fixing things is needed. Completely changing something because "what if" is never something you want to actively pursue without plenty PLENTY of play testing.

Suggesting my approch doesn't include playtesging... I mean... Really? Again, I may not have been 100% clear and spelled out every detail of game development from A to Z but the fact that you needed to dig so far to make these implications tells me enough: I highly doubt its my lack of clarity.
I think I knew what you meant, but some of your phrasing was extreme.

Lastly, above all, DO NOT ADD A THING.
or change anything.
Not only that, you should know how every second of development from that moment forth will go down.
Just clarifying. = D Semantically, I "added" a cooldown timer, even though that isn't what you quite meant by the word "add". Your general message of not changing things for the sake of changing them is a wise one. = D

Jack_AG

Banned
I think I knew what you meant, but some of your phrasing was extreme.

Just clarifying. = D Semantically, I "added" a cooldown timer, even though that isn't what you quite meant by the word "add". Your general message of not changing things for the sake of changing them is a wise one. = D
You will have to forgive me. I have been writing a flowchart for a player controller the past few days with detailed descriptions of each move set for both the animator and programmer including concept sketches for keyframes. I am in super absolute mode at the moment in hopes I won't get a zillion questions before play testing. Its a shit ton of pages but its precise to limit confusion and that requires direct language.

I program, too (mildly), so its one of the reasons I am explicit as possible with flowcharts and documents. My brain gets stuck in an infinite loop sometimes and its hard to not let the two worlds collide a bit haha!

My mind needs a break. Sleep, TV, games. Damn. Rereading my posts I sound like a prick. I am at times but it wasn't intentional here.

Feep

Banned
You will have to forgive me. I have been writing a flowchart for a player controller the past few days with detailed descriptions of each move set for both the animator and programmer including concept sketches for keyframes. I am in super absolute mode at the moment in hopes I won't get a zillion questions before play testing. Its a shit ton of pages but its precise to limit confusion and that requires direct language.

I program, too (mildly), so its one of the reasons I am explicit as possible with flowcharts and documents. My brain gets stuck in an infinite loop sometimes and its hard to not let the two worlds collide a bit haha!

My mind needs a break. Sleep, TV, games. Damn. Rereading my posts I sound like a prick. I am at times but it wasn't intentional here.
No worries! Get some rest though!

bkw

Sort of on topic...

How do you indie programmers typically start with a new project? Do you design all the classes, interfaces, interactions, etc, at the start before coding (like how you might have been taught at school)? Or do you implement stuff on the fly and refactor as needed?

I seem to be refactoring a ton (or punching holes in my original interfaces), so it feels like I might have moved passed planning too soon. Implementing your idea, then realizing it's no fun doesn't help. =P

How do you indie programmers typically start with a new project? Do you design all the classes, interfaces, interactions, etc, at the start before coding (like how you might have been taught at school)? Or do you implement stuff on the fly and refactor as needed?

On the fly, all the way!

(You should probably not follow my example. <_< )

Sort of on topic...

I seem to be refactoring a ton (or punching holes in my original interfaces), so it feels like I might have moved passed planning too soon. Implementing your idea, then realizing it's no fun doesn't help. =P

the way to do it:

- Get to the fun asap
- Fix the programming later

I am too neurotic to do this though I know I should. I overplan my code big time.

Five

Banned
Sort of on topic...

I start with the most important thing in the game, beginning with the player character, and work my way out. I'm making movement code for the PC? I guess I should make the collision class and the most basic collision asset. I'm programming the PC's attacks? I guess I should make the attack-able class as well as an asset for that. After the PC, I figure out what's the next most important thing (or whatever I'm most excited about) and work on that.

I appreciate the concept of setting up all the basics at the start, but sometimes stuff just isn't as good in practice as you thought it would be. That's why it's important for me to get the core things right, then tune other stuff to work with that. I could waste a lot of time future-proofing for content that eventually gets cut or simplified otherwise.

I read some good articles on the folly of future-proofing code a while ago. I'll see if I can dig them up.

edit: I couldn't find the articles I had read before, but these ones are good:
http://epitaph.imaginary-realities.com/wp/?p=410
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2009/01/16/future-proofing-a-design.aspx
http://chaosinmotion.com/blog/?p=622

manhack

Well folks. I was inspired by reading this thread to start some hobbyist level program.

I was fooling around with some 2600 games here:
[URL='https://archive.org/details/atari_2600_barnstorming"]https://archive.org/details/atari_2600_barnstorming[/URL]

So decide to make as close to perfect clone of Barnstorming as I could in Game Maker Studio.

I made the sprites using Graphics Gale and Game Maker Studio.

it's not 100% identical and it is a bit glitch, but it took a ton of time and effort. It's projects like this that make you realize how much work really goes into making even a little indie game.

DOWNLOAD HERE:http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/224663-barnstorming-clone

Edit: Made some minor bug fixes

EDarkness

Sort of on topic...

I start with basic moving and move on from there. Generally, I tackle parts when i feel the desire to deal with the headache that comes with it. That means after I design movement and abilities, it's looking at what piece of the puzzle can compliment moving around. Perhaps it's not the most efficient way to do things, but it works well enough for me so that I don't get burned out and keeps whatever I'm working on fresh. Of course, sometimes as I put things together, there may be a conflict in how I worked it out before, and that means a little rewriting and sometimes re-imagining an idea.

The next important thing outside of moving around and clicking on things is the interface. This takes a lot of work and rewriting, because what sounds good on paper may not be good for the game or the player. Lots and lots of iterations here. I've just accepted that this will be a problem I'll deal with until the game is close to shipping.

This then leads to working on the other parts: gear, classes, leveling curves, stats, etc. These things are usually just numbers so they're easy enough to manipulate. I think tweeking numbers is easy, so I tend to play with these sorts of things when I have some downtime.

missile

Is there a small API, driver etc. for direct accessing the graphics
accelerator's framebuffer under user-mode Windows without using DirectDraw
(lock, surface, unlock) though similar in use?

Popstar

Is there a small API, driver etc. for direct accessing the graphics
accelerator's framebuffer under user-mode Windows without using DirectDraw
(lock, surface, unlock) though similar in use?
DXGI is what comes to mind but I'm not sure if you can get direct access.

missile

@Feep: Did you planed to bring in another programmer while doing the
kickstarter back then?

@Popstar: Thx! Have skimmed through the docs. Should be possible, i.e.
IDXGISurface is the object used by DirectX underneath to gain access to the
framebuffer. IDXGISurface implements three methods, two of them are Map and
Unmap (DirectX: Lock and Unlock). Map fills a DXGI_MAPPED_RECT structure
containing the pointer to the framebuffer and its pitch. :+ Another
interesting thing is that one can set up so-called Swap Chains (back buffers
on the GPU), i.e. IDXGISwapChain, which can be used as render targets.
However, only a pointer to the back buffer(s) within the chain can be obtained.

Another interesting feature I spotted, and which was recently asked here, is
the ability to resize the framebuffer as seen in game like R.A.G.E. and WipEout
HD. IDXGISwapChain implements ResizeBuffers and ResizeTarget to resize the
back buffers and the front buffer, respectively. But not only resizing them is
possible, one can also change the format of the buffers on-the-fly. Don't ask
me about the speed. ;) I guess it wasn't so good since with Windows 8.1 (DXGI
1.3) Microsoft introduced IDXGISwapChain2 to make dynamic framebuffer scaling
a smooth experience. Don't quote me on this! ;)

I start with the most important thing in the game, beginning with the player character, and work my way out. I'm making movement code for the PC? I guess I should make the collision class and the most basic collision asset. I'm programming the PC's attacks? I guess I should make the attack-able class as well as an asset for that. After the PC, I figure out what's the next most important thing (or whatever I'm most excited about) and work on that.

I appreciate the concept of setting up all the basics at the start, but sometimes stuff just isn't as good in practice as you thought it would be. That's why it's important for me to get the core things right, then tune other stuff to work with that. I could waste a lot of time future-proofing for content that eventually gets cut or simplified otherwise.

I read some good articles on the folly of future-proofing code a while ago. I'll see if I can dig them up.

edit: I couldn't find the articles I had read before, but these ones are good:
http://epitaph.imaginary-realities.com/wp/?p=410
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2009/01/16/future-proofing-a-design.aspx
http://chaosinmotion.com/blog/?p=622

I generally go by this too. One thing I'll add is don't worry about optimizing your code in the beginning. Worry about how it plays. It's alright if it runs a little slow as long as it's fun. Alpha and Beta modes exist for a reason. Optimization should come later.

Another thing to consider is using pre-rolled resources as much as you can in the beginning and replace later if needed. Need to get to your POC and remove any obstacles in your way. I'll use my own game as an example. I'm using Unity, so I'm taking advantage of Unity's collision detection right now so I can keep chugging along instead of getting bogged down in a complicated collision detection scheme that would take a lot of time. Later on, if there's the time or the need, I can roll my own collision detection code.

I would say the camera is another thing you want to get right early - before POC completion. The camera is a lot more important than some people think, and anchoring it to the PC can sometimes make a game look clunky. Doesn't need to be perfect, just needs to look good.

Keep working towards your POC. Get the "wow" factor. Worry about the less important stuff until after the POC is complete. Prioritization is key.

Make the game look polished, even though you know it's really not.

missile

Blog: Why the Unity subscription model isn’t good for anyone most people
(you may read the comments as well)

Let’s talk about the pricing.

I’ve been using Unity for about 5 ½ years now. All in all I’ve spent ca. EUR 3815,- on it. That’s around EUR 700,- per year.

Subscription costs EUR 57,- per month, so EUR 684,- per year. (If I stopped right there that would sound good, right?) But after the big initial investment I’ve been paying under EUR 1000,- every TWO years for upgrades. Read: Under EUR 500,- per year. And that is for Unity Pro with iOS Pro.
- The subscription for iOS Pro costs an additional EUR 57,- per month, so that would make EUR 1368,- per year.

EUR 500,- =VS= EUR 1368,-

That’s EUR 1368,- per year and you own shit. (Limited time offer!)

Ok, so existing customers shouldn’t buy it. What about new customers?

If you buy Unity 4 Pro with iOS Pro today you pay EUR 2280,-. If they stick to the 2-year release cycle you have a year left, then you can upgrade to Unity 5 Pro with iOS Pro for about EUR 1000 (maybe a bit more) and use that for 2 years. So, EUR 3280,- for 3 years if you buy. EUR 4104,- for 3 years if you subscribe. EUR 4280,- vs. EUR 6840,- after 5 years.

If you have only a year left to live and you want to spend it working in Unity, by all means – subscribe! In all other cases…

But here’s why this subscription thing worries me so much…

It points in a very uncomfortable direction. I know Unity has a pretty good track record, they’re a nice company full of nice guys and girls. I hear even their investors are so nice they don’t care at all about their money.
I want Unity to stay a nice company. And I’m more than willing to pay my share to make it so.

But I’m starting to smell evil…
Anyone?

daedalius

Here is a large set of main player characters I have done for someone on the RPG-Maker forum, he has requested more characters and boss monsters, so I am looking forward to that.

71647a23195516261d5a878ac2dc360d.jpg

Hopefully once some of my NDA'd stuff hits published status, I can actually post them! I have a few things coming from Fantasy Flight Games, Paizo Publishing, Catalyst Games (Shadowrun), Lone Wolf Development, Onyx Path, and a few others!

I want to do more indie videogame stuff, but I guess I just don't know where to look really. The RPG maker forum is where I've had the best luck so far. Any other suggestions?

razu

I can see it being beneficial for hiring 3rd party developers for a few months at a time instead of spending 1500 bucks per. In-house employees, I would just buy. Those you (hopefully) keep year round.

Good in a pinch, not a permanent solution.

Yeah, that makes sense.

It being an *option* nullifies any evil. If you want to buy the whole thing, do!

If they made the prices match then everyone would go subscription, and not pay in the months they're doing work that doesn't require pro. And then the per-month price would go up some more to compensate!

This is from a one-man development perspective. Me.

Here is a large set of main player characters I have done for someone on the RPG-Maker forum, he has requested more characters and boss monsters, so I am looking forward to that.

Hopefully once some of my NDA'd stuff hits published status, I can actually post them! I have a few things coming from Fantasy Flight Games, Paizo Publishing, Catalyst Games (Shadowrun), Lone Wolf Development, Onyx Path, and a few others!

I want to do more indie videogame stuff, but I guess I just don't know where to look really. The RPG maker forum is where I've had the best luck so far. Any other suggestions?

Pretty cool, nice work! Do you have a portfolio online somewhere?

daedalius

Pretty cool, nice work! Do you have a portfolio online somewhere?

My portfolio that I showed around gencon last year is here: http://www.galefire.com (it forwards to a Behance portfolio)

Inside of there I also have a few different sections of different types of work that don't all fit into 'portfolio' material as well.

These characters were a bit more stylized than I usually do, but they were a lot of fun. Think I might like the stylized look better!

Woo top of the page! Uh, here's that art I just posted for an indie RPG!

71647a23195516261d5a878ac2dc360d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom