• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Especially if you're not on windows. And their publisher registration isn't automatic...
Yeah. I'm kicking myself for actually signing up with the company now instead of as a personal account, since that'll probably make it last even longer. Apparently it took up to 2 weeks even before they probably opened the floodgates with this announcement. Sigh.

Also, the Unity for PSM stuff is kinda nebulous, since the rest of the PSM site still refers to it needing to be cross-device, even though the Unity people say it's Vita only. Point's moot until you can actually submit stuff, of course.
@peace_runner Yes. You can develop games only for PS Vita (and "PS Vita TV"). Phones are out of scope of "Unity for PSM".

@peace_runner games will be in the same section on PS Vita. On Android devices, games created w/ Unity-for-PSM will not be displayed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah. I'm kicking myself for actually signing up with the company now instead of as a personal account, since that'll probably make it last even longer.

Also, the Unity for PSM stuff is kinda nebulous, since the rest of the PSM site still refers to it needing to be cross-device. Point's moot until it's actually released, of course.

I think they just need to update their FAQs and policy docs...they've been fairly clear on Twitter that Unity games will just show up in the Vita store and not in the others. There is a bit of scope for confusion though, since it is a bit of a policy shift. I think it's also a tacit admission that both the bulk of the PSM market is on Vita anyway and they need a freer route to publishing of Vita-optimised software. Unity has apparently said that backtouch support is even on the cards.

edit - i see you caught those tweets :)

pixelpai

Neo Member
It has been a rather long time, since i posted an update of my game "PixelAI" (still a project name, ... perhaps i should put "name the damn game" on my todo-list)

the last weeks were all about shaders. i am a seasoned programmer but man this graphic- and mathematical-stuff surely is not my thing. nonetheless i got some shaders running eventually.

i wanted some kind of "energy meter" in my game. preferably running on some "liquid simulation". after researching i got:

suTB7Np.gif

by using box2d + guassian-shader + thresholding the colors

the result was satisfying enough to integreted it into my game. so i got ("enery meter" on the left):

Pn97Twd.gif

it is still not as smooth as i want it to be and there are some "hacks" to get it working, but a month or so back, i did not believe, i would even come this far.

feels great.

as always: please follow pixelplant_ios

borius

Neo Member
well ... just wanted to drop by and show 2 short gifs from a game we're currently working on :) hope you like 'em

Ys7Ym0Z.gif
LqzyWgP.gif

great assets and atmosphere!
a reminder: what is called?

If you are interested in mobile market data, we made our own flappy jam, we published 14 games on the mobile markets and we followed their results for one month:

http://flappyjam.tumblr.com/sales

oimg

Just to reaffirm that making clones is pointless.

Switching development on the UE4 now!
Can't wait for its first big update.

great assets and atmosphere!
a reminder: what is called?

If you are interested in mobile market data, we made our own flappy jam, we published 14 games on the mobile markets and we followed their results for one month:

http://flappyjam.tumblr.com/sales

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/oimg?key=0Ah53BSVebIwjdGh2ZFZNS2hkY3hCaS1yU0hNZUpuZUE&oid=1&zx=esytqi7oampc[IMG]

Just to reaffirm that making clones is pointless.

Switching development on the UE4 now!
Can't wait for its first big update.[/QUOTE]

To be clear, those are all free games right?

Now I can show my nephew it is pointless for me to create a Flappy Bird ripoff, as he seemed fully convinced it would make me swim in money.

Very cool hair animation, nice work. The youtube video on hd/720p looks like youtube compression munched it until 11 seconds in. I thought it was just the typical youtube lag on switching to hd, but even after a couple refreshes it looks like something else going. On the compression and quality jumps 5x at 11 seconds.

One minor suggestion, consider making the vehicle a different color than the hair. I'd try darkening the vehicle to a dark red or even a completely diff color so it doesn't distract from the cool characterization of the hair.
Thanks. I'll pass that on to her about the Youtube compression issue. You may be right about the color. I thought it would be a good color cordination but maybe I need to figure something out. Thanks again for the feedback.

Also, for the past couple of days I've been trying to find a way to tell you that the alien in your avatar freaks me out. The way he looks and moves is on "nope" status. The art is amazing. It looks like it belongs in a high production cartoon.

borius

Neo Member
To be clear, those are all free games right?

Now I can show my nephew it is pointless for me to create a Flappy Bird ripoff, as he seemed fully convinced it would make me swim in money.

yes they are all free, it was in the jam rules, although only 5 of them are rip offs (the developer could choose)

Give a look at the games list so you can see which where rip offs and what kind of games the others were.

The best "selling" isn't a rip off ant it's pretty fun(and very simple), give it a try.

Mine just want me to create a Minecraft clone.
Kids these days.

He would show it to all his friends and I only would need to promote it on twitter to make a lot of money. Wasn't too confident, but no arguing with that.

yes they are all free, it was in the jam rules, although only 5 of them are rip offs (the developer could choose)

Give a look at the games list so you can see which where rip offs and what kind of games the others were.

The best "selling" isn't a rip off ant it's pretty fun(and very simple), give it a try.

Sadly I only have a Windows Phone, so can't play the games.

Turfster

He would show it to all his friends and I only would need to promote it on twitter to make a lot of money. Wasn't too confident, but no arguing with that.
I want to live in that world.
Can I live in that world?

MakeHuman is pretty good these days, but the clothing options are still... not optimal, especially if you're just going to plonk the fbx into Unity.
Still, good enough for some quick slapped together prototyping and getting a feel for the general idea of the character.

nasos_333

Especially if you're not on windows. And their publisher registration isn't automatic...

But, I think an underreported aspect of this is that it basically allows you to exploit Vita's full power, as if it were a native Vita app. Unity for PSM is for Vita only and uses the same runtime environment as native Unity for Vita. It's not using the previous more limited PSM runtime environment.

So basically 'open', 'free' publishing of full-fat Vita software. Minus full PSN integration...

By free means we can download Unity free version and test on our Vita right away ?

Or need Unity Vita version license and a Vita dev kit ? (e.g. like the 40.000$ license for Unity xbox 360-PS3)

Turfster

By free means we can download Unity free version and test on our Vita right away ?

Or need Unity Vita version license and a Vita dev kit ? (e.g. like the 40.000$ license for Unity xbox 360-PS3)

You can test on your own Vita right away* with the Free version of Unity.
(*after signing up for a PSM developer license with Sony, which is still free, but takes... a while)

friken

We have been working on getting our intro story into a visual narrated sequence. I'd love to get some feedback but I don't want to post it publicly in the draft state. If anyone interested please pm me and I'll send you a dl link -- GREATLY appreciated!

note: the storyboard sequence is in a powerpoint format currently with planned narration, sorry not ingame pan/zoom w narration state yet... just setting expectations low ;)

Turfster

I have another short video of the forest level on fire. The fire is placeholder and there is a lot wrong here with some objects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxdjCEWDPYU

Looks great, apart from a weird parallax disbelief moment around 5-10 seconds in when the gray/purple plant thing seems to slide faster than the tree behind it, which is moving at (about) the same speed as the foreground.
I assume that's what you meant with "a lot wrong here with some objects" ;)

JulianImp

So, a fellow Argentine indie dev I know commented on Facebook that Sony doesn't accept developer applications coming from our country...

Really, I don't know what kind of issues console manufacturers might be running into that prevents them from accepting applications from us, but it feels ridiculously unfair. I mean, I'd be willing to spend money to get a dev kit shipped to me, pay for the hefty customs fees that would probably show up as I went to pick the package up, and then try to find a way to get paid if I get a game published, even if it means converting the dollars I'd be getting into pesos at the official conversion rate (which I'd be fine with)... but Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft don't even give me the chance to do so.

Thankfully, the indie community in my country is growing stronger, and it seems government-related entities are finally starting to look at videogames, rather than focusing on IT and ignoring them entirely. Daniel Benmergui's been a huge help to the community by bringing known people related to game development to talks and expositions, such as Tim Schafer, Lee Petty, Johnathan Blow, James Portnow, Zach Gage, ACE team (the Chilean game dev studio behind Zeno Clash and Rock of Ages), Ron Carmel, Nathan from Capy Games, Raph Koster, and many others, as well as lots of local devs. Then there's also a bunch of other people that work hard to organize game jams, competitions and other events too grow the community, which is great as well... I only wish the rest of the world would give us a chance now that digital distribution has made things way easier for the developers, the publishers and the distributors.

Looks great, apart from a weird parallax disbelief moment around 5-10 seconds in when the gray/purple plant thing seems to slide faster than the tree behind it, which is moving at (about) the same speed as the foreground.
I assume that's what you meant with "a lot wrong here with some objects" ;)
Huh? That plant is on purpose. Looks perfectly fine to me. lol Nah, yeah that and an ember dead center and huge stuck on the screen along with the ground loop not being connected in spots.

So last one for the day. I mentioned I was redoing the gunner's head and these are the concepts I have so far:

The heads were just circles before and I have no idea if it'll make any difference with the character being so small on the screen but better is better. Maybe there will be situations where they are slightly closer.

Turfster

Huh? That plant is on purpose. Looks perfectly fine to me. lol Nah, yeah that and an ember dead center and huge stuck on the screen along with the ground loop not being connected in spots.
Yeah I'd spotted the ember too, but I thought that was just a focus point to check the parallax. Feel free to use that excuse ;)

The heads were just circles before and I have no idea if it'll make any difference with the character being so small on the screen but better is better. Maybe there will be situations where they are slightly closer.

Even the smallest things can add character to a... character.

Turfster

Watching people play your game can be so...exhuasting

"But how did you..." "Shit gotta fix that... and that..." "Oh jesus, that happens once in a million and it happens NOW?"

(Currently going through playtests myself, and every time I think I'm done, other weird bugs happened.)

Makai

Would anyone be interested in a GAF chat? I caught a closer glimpse of a few projects thanks to the Wii U IRC. Real-time communication makes some inquiries a lot easier.

freenode.net #indieGAF

Use Mibbit if you are unfamiliar with IRC. Put #indieGAF in "Channels"

Please join, and stick around!

fin

"But how did you..." "Shit gotta fix that... and that..." "Oh jesus, that happens once in a million and it happens NOW?"

(Currently going through playtests myself, and every time I think I'm done, other weird bugs happened.)

Maybe one bug, the title logo staying in the level...which is so weird. Never seen that one. But I'm hoping it was the guy putting it in video editing or something...we'll see. I think it may have been the Android version. Which is what I did 80% of development on.

Design stuff. Channeling jaffe...WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!?!?! If you're making a puzzle game, play test it. Honestly only one has been bad, like cringe worthy. The rest of the people are doing pretty good.

Also some framerates got me cringing...not sure if it's the capture software or not. Every iOS device I tried was near 60 all the time, even an iPAD 2. So I'm hoping it's the capture software.

Turfster

Would anyone be interested in a GAF chat? I caught a closer glimpse of a few projects thanks to the Wii U IRC. Real-time communication makes some inquiries a lot easier.

The problem with IRC is that we've got people from all over the world, but I like the idea.
Design stuff. Channeling jaffe...WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!?!?! If you're making a puzzle game, play test it. Honestly only one has been bad, like cringe worthy. The rest of the people are doing pretty good.
God yes. It gets really bad the longer you playtest your own puzzles, though. By this time, I can do some of my stuff with my eyes closed in like, 5 seconds, so I keep needing refreshers with 'normal' people to tune the difficulty.

Alright, last update for the night. We took you guy's advice and have decided to offer a color selection option to the vehicle. Thanks friken, Heart of Black and Turfster for helping us out with the suggestion of the color change.

shipcolors2.jpg

Soon, I hope we can show off the logo and title we're working on.

Five

Banned
Alright, last update for the night. We took you guy's advice and have decided to offer a color selection option to the vehicle. Thanks friken, Heart of Black and Turfster for helping us out with the suggestion of the color change.

shipcolors2.jpg

Any of the three on the left.

cbox

Watching people play your game can be so...exhuasting

Haha yes, I had two people playing shwip and they didn't use the whip at all, I mean it's one of many weapons but it IS the main feature. Can't wait to watch more give it a try.

friken

shipcolors2.jpg

Nice! Black vehicle w red hair by a mile :). But, I always favor high contrast. It really makes the hair pop. White vehicle is nice too. Either bring a lot more focus to the riders.

shipcolors2.jpg

Check this site - http://colorschemedesigner.com/

It can answer all of everyone's questions about colors that go together, and don't.

missile

Trailer going live in less than twelve hours

HYPEEEEEEEE
First time am really hyped in this thread! Lol, nice!

We do yeah, pretty extensive too. Though I had an original vision right from the getgo, there are always minor tweaks that occur. I also am never satisfied with something and often change my designs many times over until I reach something i"m ultimately happy with. I'm going to do an " evolution" post sometime soon once I have some time that will show everything, here's one from just the main ship design.

qdLo2B2.png
Cool. Love the third model, yet it wouldn't fit the game, I guess.

It has been a rather long time, since i posted an update of my game "PixelAI" (still a project name, ... perhaps i should put "name the damn game" on my todo-list)

the last weeks were all about shaders. i am a seasoned programmer but man this graphic- and mathematical-stuff surely is not my thing. nonetheless i got some shaders running eventually.

i wanted some kind of "energy meter" in my game. preferably running on some "liquid simulation". after researching i got:

suTB7Np.gif

by using box2d + guassian-shader + thresholding the colors

the result was satisfying enough to integreted it into my game. so i got ("enery meter" on the left):

Pn97Twd.gif

it is still not as smooth as i want it to be and there are some "hacks" to get it working, but a month or so back, i did not believe, i would even come this far.

feels great.

as always: please follow pixelplant_ios
I very much appreciate that you have put it through instead of just showing
a bar! If anything, I love attention to detail more than anything else. It is
what makes a game for me. Looks great. Well done!

shipcolors2.jpg
Orange. :)

Nice, Jobbs!
Missile, can you show us a high resolution shot of these effects (without pixel scaling)?
Later that day. Have to do some improvements. For the time being I will
switch from precomputed oscillator samples to computing them at runtime for
experimenting with phase and frequency distortion/drifts of the video en/
decoder much better to distort the video signal in much more realistic ways.
There are some cool effects coming from this if the video's color burst
signal doesn't configure the decoders oscillator to the right frequency and
phase of the encoders. The cool stuff happens of you randomly distort the
signal and the color burst (part of the signal) gets hit, leading to all sort
of wrong coloring for a fraction of time. :)

Five

Banned

freenode.net #indieGAF

Use Mibbit if you are unfamiliar with IRC. Put #indieGAF in "Channels"

Please join, and stick around!

Thanks for putting this up. I hope it can get put to good use going forward.

ZehDon

Pn97Twd.gif

it is still not as smooth as i want it to be and there are some "hacks" to get it working, but a month or so back, i did not believe, i would even come this far. feels great.
Haha, this is awesome! It's the little extra details like this that make a game feel polished. And don't worry about "hacks" - I swear half my projects are held together with little more than hopes and dreams.

I have another short video of the forest level on fire. The fire is placeholder and there is a lot wrong here with some objects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxdjCEWDPYU
This looks nice, can't wait to see it finished. Are you considering any shaders for heat distortion for the fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom