• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelpai

Neo Member
Pn97Twd.gif

Very smooth

Haha, this is awesome! It's the little extra details like this that make a game feel polished. And don't worry about "hacks" - I swear half my projects are held together with little more than hopes and dreams.

I very much appreciate that you have put it through instead of just showing
a bar! If anything, I love attention to detail more than anything else. It is
what makes a game for me. Looks great. Well done!

Thanks alot. Some friends of mine keep asking me, if it's not too much of an effort for such a "small" thing like an "energy bar".. but i always had this "liquid" energy in my mind and now as i see it running, it was well worth the effort.

We do yeah, pretty extensive too. Though I had an original vision right from the getgo, there are always minor tweaks that occur. I also am never satisfied with something and often change my designs many times over until I reach something i"m ultimately happy with. I'm going to do an " evolution" post sometime soon once I have some time that will show everything, here's one from just the main ship design.

qdLo2B2.png

i like the last and current design of the ship the most. Great work.

Makai

Threenshot Thursday

It's time to announce my game (missile convinced me in the IRC channel). I have been reluctant because the assets are very placeholder and I am still considering how two key mechanics should work at a low level. But...here we go:

Ptolemo is a turn based strategy game on a globe. The Sun and Moon command their obedient followers to do battle in a geocentric universe.

The playing area is a geodesic sphere. Most of the tiles are hexagons, but there are twelve pentagons. The pentagons on the poles of the Earth are shrines, which act as home bases. Your units must surround the enemy shrine on all five sides to win the game. The ten other pentagons are altars. Move a unit onto an altar to claim it. Every turn, you can spawn a unit at your shrine or an altar you own if you are below your max population. The more altars you have, the higher your max population. When you move a unit onto an altar, it becomes a sacrificial offering. Sacrificed units will be reincarnated with different abilities depending on their type before sacrifice and the altar type (forest, river, mountain). Sacrificing some units let your god terraform - move a mountain, bend a river, or grow a forest. Nearby biomes determine an altar's type so terraforming can be used to manage your altars' unit output. Terraforming can also be used to create chokepoints.

While little in the screenshot will by recognizable in the final game, the look of the Sun is final. Objects in the game will be composed of polyhedra. I believe the simplistic geometry will look nice when complemented by the right lighting effects: http://gfycat.com/GlumAshamedHarpseal

BONUS: Old GIF: http://gfycat.com/DisgustingFrenchGerbil

In their infancy:
www.ptolemo.com
www.twitter.com/ptolemo

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
For the passed two days or so I've been working on a new game and even though it's quite modest compared to most of what gets posted in this thread, I wanted to share. It's currently called "Deadly Dungeoneers" and is planned to be a topdown, online coop, dungeon crawling game, although the current art does not represent that properly. I hate putting the artwork in because I'm far more interested in the coding. Only the title screen is functional so far but it's animated and stuff! I'm newer to game design and coding but I'm proud so far ( - my crappy art), so check it out! Deadly Dungeoneers

EDarkness

I jumped in the IRC and I'll try to hang around when I can. Heh, brings back the old days when I was learning how to program and spent a lot of time chatting with folks in IRC channels. Those were good days.

bumpkin

I jumped in the IRC and I'll try to hang around when I can. Heh, brings back the old days when I was learning how to program and spent a lot of time chatting with folks in IRC channels. Those were good days.
IRC channel, you say. Where's that?

Lurking in the channel for the gaming website I wrote for was a way of life when I was younger. I mean I wasn't always just idle, I definitely chatted more than I did sit there away. The power struggles and people taking over the channel was annoying, but it didn't happen all of the time.

Makai

IRC channel, you say. Where's that?

Lurking in the channel for the gaming website I wrote for was a way of life when I was younger. I mean I wasn't always just idle, I definitely chatted more than I did sit there away. The power struggles and people taking over the channel was annoying, but it didn't happen all of the time.

freenode.net #indieGAF

For those unfamiliar with IRC: Mibbit. Put #indieGAF in "Channels"

missile

Threenshot Thursday

It's time to announce my game (missile convinced me in the IRC channel). I have been reluctant because the assets are very placeholder and I am still considering how two key mechanics should work at a low level. But...here we go:

Ptolemo is a turn based strategy game on a globe. The Sun and Moon command their obedient followers to do battle in a geocentric universe.

tumblr_n3t3rscGfR1ttzg3mo1_1280.png

GlumAshamedHarpseal.gif

The playing area is a geodesic sphere. Most of the tiles are hexagons, but there are twelve pentagons. The pentagons on the poles of the Earth are shrines, which act as home bases. Your units must surround the enemy shrine on all five sides to win the game. The ten other pentagons are altars. Move a unit onto an altar to claim it. Every turn, you can spawn a unit at your shrine or an altar you own if you are below your max population. The more altars you have, the higher your max population. When you move a unit onto a shrine, it becomes a sacrificial offering. Sacrificed units will be reincarnated with different abilities depending on their type before sacrifice and the altar type (forest, river, mountain). Sacrificing some units let your god terraform - move a mountain, bend a river, or grow a forest. Nearby biomes determine an altar's type so terraforming can be used to manage your altars' unit output. Terraforming can also be used to create chokepoints. ...
Ohh ... I never thought it would be that cool! It sounds to me like a
successor of Battle Isle, and I love that one to death. A good turn based
strategy game is what am looking for since ages. "Sacrificing some units let
your god terraform - move a mountain, bend a river, or grow a forest."
can be
used as a strategical element, right? Awesome! Would like to play it today!

About presenting the game.
Good move! It's not about the people in here to convince of anything, it's
the millions out there who won't see your game until it is finished anyways.
Hence, hiding in here is pretty much useless. The critique, feedback you will
get over time will keep you pushing. See, next time you have to come up with
an improvement of what you showed us today! And since I like the game, I will
be pretty up close waiting for new stuff about it, mind you! :+

_machine

Welp, nearing the end of our team project and it being a being simple mobile runner I thought why not start a personal project RPG. Whilst stuyding, not being a programmer or artist or actually having much time with no completely free weekends (well, apart from Ludum Dare weekend and which I might just use for this project). At least I know that it'll end up better than the one I made when I was like 12 or something:
And to jinx it properly; How hard can it be?

I might actually post about it somewhat regularly since I post here way too rarely. But now, time to get to work and get the zelda-like movement done first of all.

This looks nice, can't wait to see it finished. Are you considering any shaders for heat distortion for the fire?
Thanks :) Yes we've talked about heat distortion and the plan is to try it out. Hopefully we can make it to where it's not too distracting, which is my only concern. I want it on the jets of the vehicle for sure.

Feep

Banned
There Came an Echo Trailer 1

Iridium Studios releases the first trailer for There Came an Echo

Playstation 4 port announced, absurd voice cast revealed

LOS ANGELES, CA, April 8th, 2014 – Iridium Studios, developer of the critically acclaimed Sequence, has just released the first official trailer for its upcoming game, There Came an Echo, a voice-controlled, squad-based strategy game. In addition, Iridium has announced that the title will be coming to the Playstation 4 alongside Xbox One and Steam versions in late 2014/early 2015. Wil Wheaton stars alongside Ashly Burch, Yuri Lowenthal, Laura Bailey, Karen Strassman, Rachel Robinson, and Cindy Robinson, helping Iridium to reach unheard of levels of production value in the indie realm.

“Look at those guys! Is that the cast of the next Bioshock, or something?” asked Jason Wishnov, slightly confused CEO of Iridium Studios. “Wait, what? They’re in our game? Someone put their names in a press release, or something. Whew.”
Contributing to the game are three talented musicians: YouTube star Ronald Jenkees, industry veteran Jimmy Hinson, and the ethereal vocalist, Judith de los Santos. The game features a heavy emphasis on a narrative-driven, single-player experience; the player communicates to various units on the field via speech recognition technologies. There Came an Echo will be playable at PAX East 2014 in Boston, Massachusetts.

Iridium Studios was both funded via a successful Kickstarter campaign and a recent agreement with Intel Corporation. Iridium is proud to support their upcoming RealSense™ technology.

Kyuur

I got the shivers at the end Feep! Looks great. Gotta say I love the logo and (theme?) music at the end there. And I've always loved the gameplay concept, but it really looks like it's coming together. :)

Feep

Banned
Then you don't know Grace. She was able the recognise the firing period and
timed the jump accrodinly to not get smacked by the lasers! Hah! Watch it! :D

Btw Feep, does the shield lower while running?
Nope! Stays up unless you order them down, which regenerates energy.

Completely ludicrous to do it in-battle, as you'll be one-shotted.

razu

It has been a rather long time, since i posted an update of my game "PixelAI" (still a project name, ... perhaps i should put "name the damn game" on my todo-list)

the last weeks were all about shaders. i am a seasoned programmer but man this graphic- and mathematical-stuff surely is not my thing. nonetheless i got some shaders running eventually.

i wanted some kind of "energy meter" in my game. preferably running on some "liquid simulation". after researching i got:

suTB7Np.gif

by using box2d + guassian-shader + thresholding the colors

the result was satisfying enough to integreted it into my game. so i got ("enery meter" on the left):

Pn97Twd.gif

it is still not as smooth as i want it to be and there are some "hacks" to get it working, but a month or so back, i did not believe, i would even come this far.

feels great.

as always: please follow pixelplant_ios

Really cool :D

Alright, last update for the night. We took you guy's advice and have decided to offer a color selection option to the vehicle. Thanks friken, Heart of Black and Turfster for helping us out with the suggestion of the color change.

shipcolors2.jpg

Soon, I hope we can show off the logo and title we're working on.

White for me! Animation looks great BTW.

Turfster

It's not as amazing as Feep's trailer (by far), but here's a little (buggy) beta video of one awkward mouse-controlled run of a mobile game we'll be releasing soon...
Comments are welcome, as always.

It's not as amazing as Feep's trailer (by far), but here's a little (buggy) beta video of one awkward mouse-controlled run of a mobile game we'll be releasing soon...
Comments are welcome, as always.
Looks good. I like how the stationary items require two shots to grab and that Punch Out dodge move. The ambient sounds are nice as well. As you know, I'm pretty busy but if you need a quick looping jingle or something, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Turfster

Looks good. I like how the stationary items require two shots to grab and that Punch Out dodge move. The ambient sounds are nice as well. As you know, I'm pretty busy but if you need a quick looping jingle or something, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks! And thanks for the offer, but we made a conscious choice to forgo music for this one. I'll keep it in mind for the next project, though ;)
An earlier version did have a background loop (warning! Earwurm, I think my colleague still hasn't forgiven me for randomly picking this one) for testing, but we found it (and a few other options we tried) to be too distracting and "muddying the waters" so to speak with the feedback sounds, so we removed it and added ambient noises per zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom