• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrDev

I was just randomly checking out Newgrounds today and remembered they have a free music section. That could come in handy. (edit: or used to, at least. Music's there, harder to identify the free-to-use stuff)

Is Unity generally seen as a lower end engine you wouldn't want to stick with for a finished product, or is it fine and it just happens to also be good for prototyping?
There are so many great successful Unity games released, check out their page...http://unity3d.com/showcase

Even The Universim is using Unity. It's an amazing engine!

Looks much better. Unity does have a built in parallel diffuse shader you could try but looks like what you wrote is doing the trick. Nice work, far less flat looking now.

thanks, well I am using XNA , so unfortunatelly I don't have the parallel diffuse shader on hand. I found some small glitches at some specific angles but I am still not sure why is happening, hope to find the reason and really puzzled why it is happening with some specific textures, most of them look nice, but 2 or 3 are giving me some headaches...

charsace

Planning a rigidbody character controller in Unity and this is the plans I have so far:

1) Use a capsule collider like the character controller does. For edges I think I can use rays. I can get the contact and if its flat I can shoot a ray from the center of the capsule that is half the height and then use the normal to correct the velocity like I would in a 2d side scroller.

2) Directly take control of the Velocity. I update this in fixed update because you need a fixedupdate to get the rigidbody collisions to work. Because I use fixedupdate I don't have to worry about time.

3)On hills I can shoot a ray down from the first contact and use the normal some how to correct the up axis.

4) Right now I have locked rotations until I figure out the movement without it. Once I figure things out I will try to come up with a system to control the rotations in my code.

Sounded like a good solution in my head what do you guys think?

Blizzard

Banned
After nearly a year in active development, I finally have a working Save/Load system

Hoorayyyyy
Is there something about Unity in particular that makes save/load systems difficult? I remember it being some time before Shadowrun got a save/resume anywhere feature added.

Summer rain

Neo Member
I just jump right into this thread! I am new at NeoGaf :) And this thread is big! But I want to try your games that you guys created. It would be fun to try and give some feedback. But please not that I am not a programmer or artist :p But I know some things about game design and gameplay since I worked on some hobby projects myself :)

And ofcourse I have been a gamer my entire life!

Is there something about Unity in particular that makes save/load systems difficult? I remember it being some time before Shadowrun got a save/resume anywhere feature added.

It's more that Unity doesn't do anything to help you with serialization. You can save into the profile itself if you're not doing much, but if you want something more robust you pretty much have to roll your own. It's more tedious than anything else.

Feep

Banned
It's more that Unity doesn't do anything to help you with serialization. You can save into the profile itself if you're not doing much, but if you want something more robust you pretty much have to roll your own. It's more tedious than anything else.
Yeah. It's just...really annoying.

amanset

So I'm really getting to grips with Unity now and seem to know what I'm doing. Maybe.

So obviously last night I subbed up for Unreal Engine. I really don't want to ever release anything, do I?

Bit-Bit

So after having such a busy last few months, I haven't had any chance to work on my game. Now I find that a lot of what I learned for GameMaker, I can't recall anymore.

So back to video tutorials for me.

OldRoutes

Having more fun with my new prototype then my old game so expanding on it abit more.

Decided to add a space environment

jet3.png

and made another new flythrough vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rBaCduIUdA&feature=youtu.be

That looks really good! Good job! :)

JulianImp

I've spent a really long time reading up on everybody's work without posting anything about my own, but I've finally done some breakthroughs on making my game run faster and building levels more easily for it. I'll be uploading a somewhat detailed, but not downright technical write-up on its IndieDB page sometime between today and tomorrow, so I hope some of you will enjoy it.

While I'm a bit of a procastinator, showing my game to people and seeing them enjoying it always manages to pick me up and get me hyped again. I'll try to not let go off of the momentum I've built up this time and go for it, since nothing but good things can come from getting my hands back on the project in a more active way.

Blizzard

Banned
I obviously can't post screenshots just yet because someone will take my -obviously- amazing ideas and make the same game in a weekend's time, but I feel like I'm at least still making tiny bits of progress.

I have a map that can be mousewheel zoomed in and out, the map can be dragged if you hold down the right mouse button, and I am making progress in figuring out class design for the battlefield and spawning units.

Feep

Banned
AHHHHH UNITY 4.5

Sparse Textures? Faster scene loading? Yessssssss

And God I've been asking for that root node specification on Humanoid animators forever, but it's too late for me to change it all now = (

karaokelove

Neo Member

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
There are so many great successful Unity games released, check out their page...http://unity3d.com/showcase

Even The Universim is using Unity. It's an amazing engine!

Well that's good news!

I'm sure many of you are already aware of this amazing site, but I wasn't, and so I'm forced to assume there are other ignorant devs out there like myself who could benefit immensely from the information presented at http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/. From the business side (setting up a studio LLC), to the design side (how to put together an effective design doc), to the actual creation of games, this is quite simply the most valuable resource I've stumbled across.

Cool, that'll be handy.

Ashodin

Had to hold off on updating Construct 2 because of a bug that makes it not run on the Wii U export. Damn! It has all that shiny new lighting effects.

ZehDon

After nearly a year in active development, I finally have a working Save/Load system

Hoorayyyyy
A man after my own heart. Two years of part-time development, and I thought "Yeah, should probably get around to that."

Now I just need to find a way to obfuscate the data - if you open the .sav file in Notepad, it's all laid out ready for someone to mess with. Not ideal, but strangely satisfying.

Feep

Banned
A man after my own heart. Two years of part-time development, and I thought "Yeah, should probably get around to that."

Now I just need to find a way to obfuscate the data - if you open the .sav file in Notepad, it's all laid out ready for someone to mess with. Not ideal, but strangely satisfying.
You know, I have that problem too? I think there are easy-to-use obfuscators or binary packers for Unity, though, I feel like I've seen them on the Asset Store.

Definitely super low priority though, at the moment.

You know, I have that problem too? I think there are easy-to-use obfuscators or binary packers for Unity, though, I feel like I've seen them on the Asset Store.

There are definitely some save managers (with encryption) and save 'encrypters' on the Asset Store. It's actually not that hard to roll your own solution if you have time, though. Here's a great article that talks about securing Unity stuff (it still applies to normal C#, though) and the pros/cons of doing so.

A super easy way to add extra security to your saves is to write it out into a binary format and not plain text. Then you get this if you try to view it in a normal text editor:

Notepad:
fASHOr8.jpg

Notepad++:
r9FqHvT.jpg

It's also important to realize that even encrypting your saves isn't 100% secure, especially since it's super simple to decompile a Unity game's DLLs and get your 'secret key'.

Using Coroutines tends to screw up decompilers, so that's a decent and cheap way to add some extra security to your 'secret sauce' methods. Note that that isn't 100% fool-proof either, as there are even ways around that, but it'll stop someone from taking a casual glance at your code to get your encryption key.

The gist of it: Using both methods (writing into a binary format, and encrypting with a key) works really well. Also, not naming your key something like "string SecretEncryptionKey" in your code helps too.

Blizzard

Banned
Or, you could just be consumer-friendly and leave everything open so modders can extend your game and give it life years after you and your servers and your DRM and your game support are dead and gone. :D

I decided to start testing early and iterate from there so i am putting up my first gamedev prototype. Really just a basic level and some dogfighting at this stage, largely using tons of asset store kits/models but i plan on keeping the lowpoly style.

Looking for game ideas. Some of the things im thinking of adding

-More ship types (large capitol ships e.t.c)
-Possibly rogue like elements ?
-Plan on keeping it simple and fun

http://ausroachman.itch.io/prototype-flyer

Love everyones opinions and ideas. its still in its very early stages but looking to grow it from here.

Any Feedback from this ? Would love some ideas to turn this into something abit more meaty

Here is what i am working on atm

- Random atmosphere/planet.
- Random skybox/space section
- Random asteroid fields
- Random enemy/friendly generation

The idea will be everytime you load the map you will see something different, wether it is a massive firefight between 2 sides, or just a lonely capital ship. Eventually want to add some kind of loot and give players reasons to explore the planets/levels

karaokelove

Neo Member
Got a little issue I was hoping to get some help with, if anyone has the time. If you check out my post a few pages back, you can see the basics of my game design. The issue I'm having is with the effectiveness of Status Effects.

Unlike a lot of RPG's, I'm keeping the numbers in my game small (for instance, a high damage value at max level will be around 12-15). One of the basic character attributes is Damage Reduction, which reduces incoming damage by anywhere from 1-5 points, maximum. The issue I'm having is trying to decide what the "Burning" effect should do. Every other elemental effect has some sort of penalty associated with it (for instance, Cold damage results in the Frostbite status effect, which causes the character to take additional damage). However, since Burning is just a straight damage-over-time effect, it becomes too common for characters with any sort of Damage Reduction to be able to ignore it completely.

I've considered having it ignore Damage Reduction, but that feels like the wrong choice. I've also considered having it always deal a minimum of 1 damage, which is the strongest solution so far. The only other choice I can really think of is just to let it ride, and allow characters with Damage Reduction to ignore Burning damage, which doesn't seem very balanced.

Lautaro

Hi

So I finished some Android games on Unity and now I finally feel ready to make something bigger. I want to make a space game with roguelike elements (something like FTL but controlling a small fleet instead of a single ship) as my first PC game and I would like some opinions (I have the knowledge, the passion and a small budget, my main problem is the lack of time because I have a day job but I don't have a deadline).

Anyway, I would like to hear opinions about combat systems, please:

1. Turn based "JRPG style":

This alternative is the easiest to implement because the combat would be random encounters and there's no movement. You treat every ship of your fleet as a "party member" like an RPG and they attack enemies or support each other every turn (instead of a knight fighting you have a cruiser launching an artillery barrage, instead of a priest you have a support vessel deploying repair drones, etc). I have no idea if this idea would have any appeal with the typical space game enthusiast though.

2. Turn based / 2D "board":

This one is more complex because you have a 2D board, the action is by turns and you have to move your units like a typical turn based strategy game. The complexity comes from making an AI that can move their "pieces" properly. What I don't know is if the idea of moving space ships in a 2D plane would look silly and be a deterrent for gamers.

3. 2D/3D Real Time:

This one is the most complex (I think) because you move your ships in real time and in every direction for the 3D version(like Homeworld) and so do the AI. I think this one could have more appeal but the development complexity would go through the roof.

What do you think?

Popstar

Got a little issue I was hoping to get some help with, if anyone has the time. If you check out my post a few pages back, you can see the basics of my game design. The issue I'm having is with the effectiveness of Status Effects.

Unlike a lot of RPG's, I'm keeping the numbers in my game small (for instance, a high damage value at max level will be around 12-15). One of the basic character attributes is Damage Reduction, which reduces incoming damage by anywhere from 1-5 points, maximum. The issue I'm having is trying to decide what the "Burning" effect should do. Every other elemental effect has some sort of penalty associated with it (for instance, Cold damage results in the Frostbite status effect, which causes the character to take additional damage). However, since Burning is just a straight damage-over-time effect, it becomes too common for characters with any sort of Damage Reduction to be able to ignore it completely.

I've considered having it ignore Damage Reduction, but that feels like the wrong choice. I've also considered having it always deal a minimum of 1 damage, which is the strongest solution so far. The only other choice I can really think of is just to let it ride, and allow characters with Damage Reduction to ignore Burning damage, which doesn't seem very balanced.

Another option is to allow the damage reduction to only apply to half the damage taken. So if Burning was going to cause 4 points damage. 2 points of that would disregard damage reduction while 2 points would be affected.

You can also alternate rounding up and rounding down on alternate turns. So that something like a Burning of 1 point a turn on a character with damage reduction of 1 would cause 1 point damage then 0 points of damage on alternate rounds.

Timeaisis

An easy solution to this would just be to minimize the time of the burning effect for characters with damage reduction.

Assuming DR ranges 1 - 5, we can map these values to each DR.
DR 1 - Reduce Burning Effect time by 1 turn
DR 2 - By 2 turns
DR 3 - By 3 turns
DR 4 - By 4 turns
DR 5 - By 5 turns / No burning damage

Or you could do a combination of that + cut the damage down (minimum of one). Just a thought.

bkw

So I'm starting to look into audio stuff for my game. Are there any tips and tricks when it comes to dealing with audio (on the technical side)?

For past games (and so far for my current one), I'm make a "play sound" call where I need it code, passing it a sound file/clip, but I feel like I should be taking more things into consideration. Are there better ways to structure and organize this? Send events and have another system actually play the sound? Should I build some sort of sound manager? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I see a bunch of asset in the Unity that deal with sound, and it makes me think I'm missing out on doing something cool with audio. (Plus the scattering of sound file references in code seems kinda ugly and wrong.)

Something more Unity specific: So far I've been referencing audio clips and calling AudioSource.PlayClipAtPoint(), which looks like it creates an game object with an audio source on it, that auto-kills itself. Should I be worried about performance? This reminds me of instantiating a bunch of game objects like bullets, which in that case is a no-no for performance. Do I need to do some sort of pooling here?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Or, you could just be consumer-friendly and leave everything open so modders can extend your game and give it life years after you and your servers and your DRM and your game support are dead and gone. :D

Yeah, I don't see much value in obfuscation for applications where the customer controls the physical environment. Anything short of running all the important functions server-side (Diablo III's approach) isn't reliable - it just lengthens the time before the leaderboard is full of hacked scores, people edit their saves, reverse engineer your code, or whatever the concern is.

Robin64

Hi there IndieGameDevGAF.

I decided I wanted to make a game. I'm 32 and I've never made a single thing in my life, despite playing games for most of it.

So, I'm starting basic. I want to get a simple arcade game up and running with some clear rules, and hopefully make it look nice while I'm at it. If I can get it to state where I can put it on Kongregate and people can score-attack it, then great! That's my goal for now.

I've been working on a game where the player moves between levels collecting falling hearts while avoiding objects that kill her. Each level has a required number of hearts to collect at which point you move on to the next. Currently there are three levels, but they loop around.

I wanted a multiplier system in for collecting hearts without missing one, to encourage risky moves, so I got that working and now the score multiplier increases by 0.1 for each heart you grab in a row. Miss one and it's back to 1.0.

Currently the "enemies" only consist of a cartoon poo that I drew quickly. I have a wonderful friend drawing actual art for me to use (she drew the main character and the hearts that are currently in) so my task today will be to get those spawning instead of poos and then tweak the frequencies at which they appear. Each level will have three objects, of varying size, and each will fall a little differently. Some may drop quickly and straight, others might be slow and move like a feather.

Music is from indiemusic.com and backgrounds are photos that I've applied a Topaz filter to. I quite like the look and feel as it stands. (Aside from the poop)

You can check it out at http://www.streetpassing.com/spiritual/ but do keep in mind that it's my first game ever. :)

Screenshot

tpwmcSC.png

Desert objects I need to get in to the next build

yCJwptq.jpg

amanset

Started up my WIP in Unity 4.5 last night.

The good:
My game uses the 2D stuff. It all seems to move a metric arsetonne quicker now. Actually smooth in the editor.

The bad (maybe):
Collision handling seems to have changed. When two objects of the same type collided I wanted a score to update, so I added handling to do it once as the collision was fired for both objects. Now it appears it only happens once, meaning only one of my two objects gets disabled (in 4.3 they both got disabled and disappeared).

The bad bad:
Something funky is going on with importing. I got all sorts of Daikon Forge errors when I first loaded it up in 4.5.

Talking of which, how do you remove an imported asset from the store? I tried Daikon Forge and it caused too many headaches that I don't want to deal with right now and so would like to remove it. What's the recommended way of doing that?

snarge

Hi

So I finished some Android games on Unity and now I finally feel ready to make something bigger. I want to make a space game with roguelike elements (something like FTL but controlling a small fleet instead of a single ship) as my first PC game and I would like some opinions (I have the knowledge, the passion and a small budget, my main problem is the lack of time because I have a day job but I don't have a deadline).

Anyway, I would like to hear opinions about combat systems, please:

1. Turn based "JRPG style":

This alternative is the easiest to implement because the combat would be random encounters and there's no movement. You treat every ship of your fleet as a "party member" like an RPG and they attack enemies or support each other every turn (instead of a knight fighting you have a cruiser launching an artillery barrage, instead of a priest you have a support vessel deploying repair drones, etc). I have no idea if this idea would have any appeal with the typical space game enthusiast though.

2. Turn based / 2D "board":

This one is more complex because you have a 2D board, the action is by turns and you have to move your units like a typical turn based strategy game. The complexity comes from making an AI that can move their "pieces" properly. What I don't know is if the idea of moving space ships in a 2D plane would look silly and be a deterrent for gamers.

3. 2D/3D Real Time:

This one is the most complex (I think) because you move your ships in real time and in every direction for the 3D version(like Homeworld) and so do the AI. I think this one could have more appeal but the development complexity would go through the roof.

What do you think?

I like 1 the best. Are you planning on doing it so there would be an overworld type of thing, and the player would have direct control over the fleet? And then, like many JRPGs, when you enter into combat, a separate screen and interface would open up? Cause I would love that.

3 sounds the weakest, only because I skew toward turn based or tactics games.

JulianImp

Alright, I've submitted my news article yesterday, and the staff have already accepted it and put it up on IndieDB and its sister sites! Here's the link, in case anybody wants to take a look: http://www.indiedb.com/games/quarkstorm/news/rebuild-of-quark-storm-game-systems-update

Anyway, I would like to hear opinions about combat systems, please

I'd say that you look into what your game wants to achieve and go with a system that builds upon that. Since your focus is on controlling a whole fleet of ships at once, I'd say that, for example, controlling all of them can't be done in real time, so you'd have to rely on lots and lots of (decent) AI, which is probably out of the question.

For ships, I feel like using a "game board" as in Advance Wars or Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (which uses buildings and higher ground to modify things such as damage) could lead to more interesting combat, but the downside is that system makes combat kind of slow compared to the way classical JRPGs handle it, and yeah, you'd have to come up with a moderately competent board game AI that knows in which order to move its pieces to maximize damage dealt and minimize damage taken.

Actually, I feel like the issue here is that you're widening the scope a bit too much with the whole "FTL plus multiple ships" concept. I've heard FTL is a complex game on its own right, and trying to make something like it but with multiple ships could be a bit too complicated for your first PC project, at least from the little information you've given us so far.

It'd be great to hear what you actually mean with "roguelike elements", since it's a term that's a bit too nebulous nowadays. A game with permadeath a la Fire Emblem? Lots of random items and equipment to customize your ships with? Randomly generated ship properties at the start of the game? There're many things you could be doing, and the path you end up choosing will probably help you decide which kind of combat system to go with. Say, lots of equipment and randomized ship properties lend themselves better to real time or old-school JRPG battles than board-based combat, and permadeath works best in board games or real-time, while being kind of meh in classic turn-based combat.

Lautaro

I like 1 the best. Are you planning on doing it so there would be an overworld type of thing, and the player would have direct control over the fleet? And then, like many JRPGs, when you enter into combat, a separate screen and interface would open up? Cause I would love that.

3 sounds the weakest, only because I skew toward turn based or tactics games.

Thanks for your opinion.

The equivalent of the overworld would be a star map where you can jump from one system to another, my idea is that every time you jump to a sector you dock with your fleet in a space station and this acts as your hub where you can manage your fleet, buy/repair stuff and make smaller jumps to beacons and in these beacons you get to have random encounters where the screen changes and the combat starts (some encounters won't involve combat though).

I'd say that you look into what your game wants to achieve and go with a system that builds upon that. Since your focus is on controlling a whole fleet of ships at once, I'd say that, for example, controlling all of them can't be done in real time, so you'd have to rely on lots and lots of (decent) AI, which is probably out of the question.

For ships, I feel like using a "game board" as in Advance Wars or Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (which uses buildings and higher ground to modify things such as damage) could lead to more interesting combat, but the downside is that system makes combat kind of slow compared to the way classical JRPGs handle it, and yeah, you'd have to come up with a moderately competent board game AI that knows in which order to move its pieces to maximize damage dealt and minimize damage taken.

Actually, I feel like the issue here is that you're widening the scope a bit too much with the whole "FTL plus multiple ships" concept. I've heard FTL is a complex game on its own right, and trying to make something like it but with multiple ships could be a bit too complicated for your first PC project, at least from the little information you've given us so far.

It'd be great to hear what you actually mean with "roguelike elements", since it's a term that's a bit too nebulous nowadays. A game with permadeath a la Fire Emblem? Lots of random items and equipment to customize your ships with? Randomly generated ship properties at the start of the game? There're many things you could be doing, and the path you end up choosing will probably help you decide which kind of combat system to go with. Say, lots of equipment and randomized ship properties lend themselves better to real time or old-school JRPG battles than board-based combat, and permadeath works best in board games or real-time, while being kind of meh in classic turn-based combat.

I understand that controlling a fleet in real time is complex, my question goes more in the sense of "it would be worth it?" A 3D real time would have more appeal?

FTL is just a example (in the sense of random encounters), I would say the fleet management would be simpler in my case (you don't get to manage every crew member here).

Roguelike elements is a pretty abused word but I had to use it so people get the idea that the game has replayability based on procedural scenarios and every ship counts because you can lose them permanently (and if you lose the one with your commander, you're done) along with all their equipment, crew and cargo.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
As someone who's cancelled their Unity Pro subscription, and is tinkering with UE4, I have to say that certain characteristics of Unity are a bit undervalued I think.

People rave about UE4's source access, but it seems like taking a sledgehammer to a nail for certain tasks that otherwise don't seem to be so well exposed.

For example, I can chain up a custom render pipeline through script events in Unity, but I don't think I can do the same with UE4. I have to dig down into UE4's c++ pipeline code and .usf shader files. There doesn't seem to be any out of the box .usf editing tool, no syntax highlighting in Vis Express out of the box... the built in 'stuff' in UE4 shaders isn't well documented at all. For example, googling a pretty important struct in UE4's base shaders throws back results that just seem to point to leaked code from other games...there doesn't seem to be any documentation of those structs/functions etc. The code is the documentation, which is fine on one level, but from an accessibility point of view it's all very, very low level.

Now I'm early on with UE4, so maybe there are easier ways of doing things that I just haven't learnt yet. I've had the advantage of a long time working in Unity.

Unity Pro is still too expensive given the competing options available now, IMO, but I do have some renewed respect for how it's set up.

Pehesse

NiceElaborateBovine.gif

After some playing around with the now functional AI, it really felt like I lacked a block system. At first I didn't want one because I was leaning more towards beat'em all systems where offense and movement are your best defense, but since I use a fighting game general system for the match fights (1 vs 1, single lane movement), the lack of an escape system was really apparent when the opponent starts to pile on the pressure.

So after a couple more animations, here it is! It allows you to block the opponents main attacks (not all, and they still do chip damage) but it also allows to counter if you attack during your block recovery frames, which leads to a quick unavoidable high damage move, if it connects. And if not, it still looks cool, I suppose.

One of the opponents was actually supposed to block and have that particular trait as part of their fight dynamic, so I'm glad I got this problem out of the way earlier than I anticipated :-D

I did a massive overhaul of my website last night, after having a beer or two or ten. Would you folks kindly check to make sure I didn't fill it with lewd pictures of scantily clad mantis shrimp?

http://www.deadmanwalkingstudios.com

Oh and while you're at it, let me know what you think and perhaps let me know if you have any suggestions :)

Unlike a lot of RPG's, I'm keeping the numbers in my game small (for instance, a high damage value at max level will be around 12-15). One of the basic character attributes is Damage Reduction, which reduces incoming damage by anywhere from 1-5 points, maximum. The issue I'm having is trying to decide what the "Burning" effect should do.

As a side note, a rule of thumb is people like seeing big numbers for damage, and bigger numbers offer a little more granularity for effects, but assuming you don't want to just run a multiplier on everything and simplify your life... ;)

You have 2 variables you can modify for DoT; damage and time and the overall DoT effect is a combination of the two. (sorry if this sounds obvious to state, but when you hit design issues, it often helps to break things down into first principles and restate assumptions when looking for a solution)

- Looking at the damage variable, you can have granularity 'behind the scenes', and only apply a damage tick when damage exceeds a whole number; if regular burning is 1dps for 10 seconds (10d total), a 50% damage reduction would be 0.5dps - but as you are only applying ints and not floats, the player observable result would just be less frequent ticks (in this case 1 damage every 2 seconds) for a total of 5 damage over 10 seconds.

- Looking at the time variable (as Timeaisis suggested above) you apply the percentage reduction to the T component instead; as seconds are ints rather than floats already, and you only apply damage to each tick, you have the advantage of being already working with small ints already rounded off

You also have the option of secondary effects beyond DoT - Pokemons "Burn" affect is a DoT, but distnguishes itself from a poison DoT by also reducing the physical attack damage of a Burnt pokemon.

OldRoutes

Design pattern question : Stuck in a limbo of decision ; I'm building a puzzle game in Unity with levels. Should every level be generated by a dictionary ( easily editable in either a .json or .xml) or constructed in the editor as a stand alone scene? I can't really figure out pros or cons for both ; it seems to be a preference thing, but what would you do, IndieDevGAF?

(My plan so far is to create a pipeline to generate a .json from a scene, essentially saving that scene as dictionary... is that overkill?)

JulianImp

So, I've noticed thanks to GamingGAF that Sony's going to be providing free exhibit passes for indie games attending the Tokyo Game Show later this year (Gamasutra link).

Is anyone going to try signing up for it? I'll have to do some hard thinking, but I'm considering it right now. The deadline for submissions is June 11th, which is kind of sudden for me, but I'll be seriously looking into going there. Perhaps we could try arranging an TGS IndieGAF meetup with whoever has the chance to go or say, book shared hostel rooms to make things easier on our wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom