• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbox

NiceElaborateBovine.gif

I've never been into fighting games, but this looks incredibly polished - nice work!

Been playing around with new background types too, coming along nicely!

DdEWkkhl.jpg

karaokelove

Neo Member
As a side note, a rule of thumb is people like seeing big numbers for damage, and bigger numbers offer a little more granularity for effects, but assuming you don't want to just run a multiplier on everything and simplify your life... ;)

You have 2 variables you can modify for DoT; damage and time and the overall DoT effect is a combination of the two. (sorry if this sounds obvious to state, but when you hit design issues, it often helps to break things down into first principles and restate assumptions when looking for a solution)

- Looking at the damage variable, you can have granularity 'behind the scenes', and only apply a damage tick when damage exceeds a whole number; if regular burning is 1dps for 10 seconds (10d total), a 50% damage reduction would be 0.5dps - but as you are only applying ints and not floats, the player observable result would just be less frequent ticks (in this case 1 damage every 2 seconds) for a total of 5 damage over 10 seconds.

- Looking at the time variable (as Timeaisis suggested above) you apply the percentage reduction to the T component instead; as seconds are ints rather than floats already, and you only apply damage to each tick, you have the advantage of being already working with small ints already rounded off

You also have the option of secondary effects beyond DoT - Pokemons "Burn" affect is a DoT, but distnguishes itself from a poison DoT by also reducing the physical attack damage of a Burnt pokemon.

Thanks for the insight! Those are some very solid points that I'll have to experiment with.

Alchemy

Posted earlier about the Tinertia Greenlight, and we've just been Greenlit after about six days on Greenlight! This just reinforces that I have no idea how the Greenlight process works because I expected it take longer, but I'm pretty damn excited now. Thanks everyone who voted!

Pehesse

Thanks to all of you, I can't properly express how glad and grateful I am :-D

I've never been into fighting games, but this looks incredibly polished - nice work!

I'll need to show the other main aspect of the game soon, as it's not "just" a fighting game - it's not even a "fighting game", I'd say, since it's a lot closer to a beat'em all, but that's a distinction I hope to make clearer when I can show more details about how it works specifically :-D
It's a single player narrative driven game, with equal parts life management visual novel segments, and brawler/beat'em all segments. Since those are a lot more complex to develop and animate, I started with those, but I'll get to showing stuff about the visual novel segments as soon as I can!
Though I can't promise of course that you'll like the game more with that information, of course :-D

Noogy

Posted earlier about the Tinertia Greenlight, and we've just been Greenlit after about six days on Greenlight! This just reinforces that I have no idea how the Greenlight process works because I expected it take longer, but I'm pretty damn excited now. Thanks everyone who voted!

Greenlight seems to be a very different beast from a year ago. Either way, congrats :)

I'll need to show the other main aspect of the game soon, as it's not "just" a fighting game - it's not even a "fighting game", I'd say, since it's a lot closer to a beat'em all, but that's a distinction I hope to make clearer when I can show more details about how it works specifically :-D
It's a single player narrative driven game, with equal parts life management visual novel segments, and brawler/beat'em all segments. Since those are a lot more complex to develop and animate, I started with those, but I'll get to showing stuff about the visual novel segments as soon as I can!
Though I can't promise of course that you'll like the game more with that information, of course :-D

6xOaBwI.gif

Pehesse

Hahaha, love that gif :-D Thanks!

If all goes according to plan, my first test prototype should be ready next week. If so, then that means I can move on to said visual novel segments right after, since the other matches will be taking huge parts of what's already been done, it's mostly going to be a matter of doing the other character's animations and AIs... so the next big challenge will be the daily life segments, and I hope I'll have something to show about them by the end of next month :-D

I need to see more of this. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Robin64

Anyone have experiences with Kongregate? Specifically with uploading games.

I've got my game up in preview mode, but when I hit "update game" and upload new files, the old game still appears. It's not even my cache as asking someone who has never been to it before says they still see the old one.

There are a lot of threads about this, but none of them ever seem to find a satisfying conclusion, with lots of "it's working now" followed by "sorry, no it's not" then "oh, yes it is!" then "not working again :(" and so on.

rexor0717

Hahaha, love that gif :-D Thanks!

If all goes according to plan, my first test prototype should be ready next week. If so, then that means I can move on to said visual novel segments right after, since the other matches will be taking huge parts of what's already been done, it's mostly going to be a matter of doing the other character's animations and AIs... so the next big challenge will be the daily life segments, and I hope I'll have something to show about them by the end of next month :-D

This is an awesome concept, and the animation is great. I look forward to seeing the progress on this one.

Hopefully some of you will have a good insight to this (if such a thing that even exists):

To someone who has a smidgen of prior programming experience (a bit of Java and Visual Basic, a very tiny bit of C++ ... and all at least a decade ago), are there any development platforms out there that might be accessible enough for at least some rapid prototyping of game concepts? I'm only really wanting to work in 2D.

Preferably something with some sort of GUI front end, is mac compatible, and has a decent amount of tutorials.

Cheers.

EDIT: And only now do I notice that this very thread starts with a breakdown of different options. Brilliant. Recommendations and pointers would still be greatly appreciated though.

Noogy

I'm making a simple game as I learn Unity. It feels good to get my hands dirty again :)

I had considered chronicling my adventures moving from XNA to Unity, but there's not much I can say that hasn't bee said online already. It's interesting, to say the least.

I will say that UnityVS (a Visual Studio plugin for Unity) is a must, since I immediately did not care for Monodevelop. It's still not as great as working in VS with XNA, but at least I'm in a more comfortable environment.

Lautaro

To someone who has a smidgen of prior programming experience (a bit of Java and Visual Basic, a very tiny bit of C++ ... and all at least a decade ago), are there any development platforms out there that might be accessible enough for at least some rapid prototyping of game concepts? I'm only really wanting to work in 2D.

Preferably something with some sort of GUI front end, is mac compatible, and has a decent amount of tutorials.

At least for me, what you just said describes Unity perfectly.

Timeaisis

I'm making a simple game as I learn Unity. It feels good to get my hands dirty again :)

I had considered chronicling my adventures moving from XNA to Unity, but there's not much I can say that hasn't bee said online already. It's interesting, to say the least.

I will say that UnityVS (a Visual Studio plugin for Unity) is a must, since I immediately did not care for Monodevelop. It's still not as great as working in VS with XNA, but at least I'm in a more comfortable environment.

Tell me about it. Monodevelop is horrible and buggy as hell. UnityVS is awesome and for me, a must. Never looking back. Gotta have that debugging in VS, man.

Noogy

Tell me about it. Monodevelop is horrible and buggy as hell. UnityVS is awesome and for me, a must. Never looking back. Gotta have that debugging in VS, man.

Yeah, the ability to debug in VS sealed the deal. I still don't like that you have to attach the process to debug, and can't edit while debugging (when paused). Hopefully that's something they patch in at some point.

Turfster

Every time I misclick in Unity and it opens MD, I can alt-tab to VS, find the problem,fix it and then kill MD in task info before it has finished loading... on an i5 with an SSD

Noogy

Every time I misclick in Unity and it opens MD, I can alt-tab to VS, find the problem,fix it and then kill MD in task info before it has finished loading... on an i5 with an SSD

I was running into a bug where it would open Monodevelop even though I specified VS in the external tools. Apparently a timeout issue. I simply renamed Monodevelop.exe to something else and it solved the problem. Now I can double click a script and it'll always open in VS.

Turfster

I was running into a bug where it would open Monodevelop even though I specified VS in the external tools. Apparently a timeout issue. I simply renamed Monodevelop.exe to something else and it solved the problem. Now I can double click a script and it'll always open in VS.

Right, that's what I forgot to do after the latest update. Thanks.

Blizzard

Banned
I attended the last CUDA presentation that was being offered locally. This presentation was more focused on optimization techniques than general CUDA programming, and I felt like it went over my head quite quickly.

However, for people who do want to learn CUDA, I think this may be the free course the presenter recommended: https://www.udacity.com/course/cs344

Ashodin

Having laser-focused the issues with the Wii U version, tomorrow I can start in earnest to make sure it has a specific gamepad integration and optimization of the events behind the scenes. HUZZAH

Servbot24

Banned
I want to learn to do sprite animations for gameplay. Not sure if you actually call them sprites, I plan to use full resolution drawings ala Vanillaware games.

I eventually want a game system up and running but I'll start with the basics and post my progress here. I'll be working with this character design:

tumblr_n6bf6ntpmx1rom6duo1_1280.jpg

First thing to do is a running animation. Thought I would post here before beginning in case anyone has any resources or guidelines they recommend first

Inspiration:

ieIt7e5K7eiY9.gif

megaman_zero_animated_icon_avi_by_mysticaltemptress-d46my6e.gif
zero.gif

NSFW animated running naked people

Feep

Banned
Looks awesome, Feep!

except the layering issues on the unit names and such.... but i'm sure you already are working on that!
Those things are the worstttt

Not working on them ATM because I'm gonna redo that particular graphic (to include how much strength the enemy shields have)

Those things are the worstttt

Not working on them ATM because I'm gonna redo that particular graphic (to include how much strength the enemy shields have)

Makes sense!

It always did seem like you were doing a lot of layer trickery to get your 2D/3D effects going. Hope it hasn't resulted in too many headaches :p

Feep

Banned
Makes sense!

It always did seem like you were doing a lot of layer trickery to get your 2D/3D effects going. Hope it hasn't resulted in too many headaches :p
It's definitely been a pain, but I've gotten down most of it. Tons of hacky stuff to make sure depth sorting always works out...

Pehesse

Thanks to you all for your kind comments about Honey :-D Definitely gives a boost to get things done!

I want to learn to do sprite animations for gameplay. Not sure if you actually call them sprites, I plan to use full resolution drawings ala Vanillaware games.

Is that your design? Very nice! Can't wait to see how it looks like in motion!

Hey indiegamedevgaf, this bundle got me curious about axis game factory and I was just wondering what any of you guys thought about it? Can't seem to find much about it anywhere outside of steam reviews or even a showcase of what's been made in it.

vivin

I eventually want a game system up and running but I'll start with the basics and post my progress here. I'll be working with this character design:

Is this your own design? if so, it is very very sweet, good luck animating, its an artform all in itself :)

Good idea to start with a run cycle, you can pretty much nail the character in the run cycle alone. Their personality/drive/history it can all influence the basic run.

The best thing about animation is the principles are the same regardless of the medium, which also means most of the great 2D animation reference material still translates well into 3D/sprite work.

I dont have any specific reference on hand, but only advice would be to stick with that run cycle, it will be the base to build more animations from :)

Raonak

Banned
Okay, so I've got an early Android build of Nax of the Universe (alpha) avaliable to anyone who wants it. (PC version also avalaible)

kk7itIf.gif

Nax of the Universe is a character-action/hack and slash game with RPG elements. It's still early in development but the combat engine is working very nicely.

The android version is working far better than I was expecting TBH. You can download it here, and side-load it to your android smartphone. I've tried it on my android 4.2.2 Xperia Z1 and it works very smoothly, full 60fps. but I'd love some feedback on how it performs on other devices.
DOWNLOAD: Nax of the Universe - Android 0.12

This is an early version, and some features, such as the Tesla weapon, flux mode, and the tutorial have not been converted to mobile format.

CONTROLS (they're quite intuitive when you get used to it)
  • On the left side of the screen there's a virtual joystick, that is used for moving.
    in addition to that, there's 3 circle buttons.
  • Block (top button) Hold to block. blocking increases defence/reduces damage, and protects against knockback effects. If you time it right, you can parry enemey attacks.
  • Switch Weapons (middle button). tap to switch between the Redband and xatana weapons.
  • Snatch(bottom button). The snatcher is a special timespace device which. If you tap it, it'll warp nearby enemies straight to you. The range is screen-wide, so if you can see an enemy, and it isn't "heavy", you can teleport it to you.
    If you hold the snatcher button, you can teleport TO enemies instead.
    the snatcher can be used in mid-air for some cool combination attacks.

• The right side of the screen is where all the action happens. But there's no virtual buttons and such. Instead it uses a action swipe system.
  • If you tap the right side of the screen you will perform a basic attack.
    If you tap it multiple times, you can perform a combo.
    For the "Redband" weapon, there are 3 combos.
    Tap-Tap-Tap = normal combo
    Tap-Wait-Tap-Tap = spin combo
    Tap-Tap-Wait-Tap Repeatedly = stab combo
    The "Xatana" weapon has 1 combo. Tap-Tap-Tap-Tap
  • If you swipe forward (ie; the direction nax is facing) Nax will perform a forward thrusting attack.
  • If you swipe backwards, Nax will perform a launcher attack that will launch enemies into the air.
    (with redband, you will launch into the air too, while with Xatana, you can combo the launcher by pressing tapping straight after into a downcut)
  • If you swipe up, nax will jump. You can attack in midair too. Redband has a downslash, while Xatana has a double cut.
  • If you swipe down, nax will do a back-dodge. If you swipe down, while walking, nax will dodge in the walking direction.

There's 2 levels. The forest level is the better one.

----
I have a PC version avalaible from my website: DreamModule.com

Timeaisis

First thing to do is a running animation. Thought I would post here before beginning in case anyone has any resources or guidelines they recommend first

Really cool design. I'm no artist, but running animation is probably the best place to start.

here's a look at the scatterburst weapon:

http://gfycat.com/NecessaryCaringAfricanparadiseflycatcher.webm

Each shot bullet has low damage but a high chance to crit. They also have the potential to hit multiple enemies each if they are grouped together.

Awesome, as usual. How's Unity treating you for 2D? I have zero 2D Unity experience so far, but I'm hoping to get into it soon to mess around with some stuff.

charsace

Dammit! Our corner on the sweet tech market!

GIFDemo1.gif

I lol at your 8 for 10 game. Should have invested money in me. You would have a 10 for 10 GOTF contender on your hands. Instead 2016 secret game is gonna blow the doors off of every thing. That game is bold, beautiful, and more visceral than any other visceral game that has come before it and maybe any other that will come after it.

Can't wait to drink your eventual tears. Hold tight to your blanket baby.

Jobbs

Banned
Awesome, as usual. How's Unity treating you for 2D? I have zero 2D Unity experience so far, but I'm hoping to get into it soon to mess around with some stuff.

Thank you -- Re. Unity, the Unity build was put on ice and as I've announced in the past, I've been developing using Stencyl since early this year, reason being it's far more efficient for my situation (being that, with Unity, I was reliant upon someone else to code the game's logic in C#, in Stencyl, I am reliant on no one). Long story short, Stencyl became viable sometime last year when it switched to Open FL, away from NME. Everything just started working far better.

Timeaisis

Thank you -- Re. Unity, the Unity build was put on ice and as I've announced in the past, I've been developing using Stencyl since early this year, reason being it's far more efficient for my situation (being that, with Unity, I was reliant upon someone else to code the game's logic in C#, in Stencyl, I am reliant on no one). Long story short, Stencyl became viable sometime last year when it switched to Open FL, away from NME. Everything just started working far better.

Yeah, I find Unity to be tough to collaborate with unless you pay for the team suite stuff (and even then, it doesn't really offer that much). But I've heard really good things about Stencyl. I might check it out one of these days...could be my new GameMaker.

hitsugi

Okay, so I've got an early Android build of Nax of the Universe (alpha) avaliable to anyone who wants it. (PC version also avalaible)

kk7itIf.gif

Nax of the Universe is a character-action/hack and slash game with RPG elements. It's still early in development but the combat engine is working very nicely.

I've been really impressed with what you have done with this game in what seems to be a reasonably short period of time. Do you have a dev log that spans back to the start of it?

Feep

Banned
I lol at your 8 for 10 game. Should have invested money in me. You would have a 10 for 10 GOTF contender on your hands. Instead 2016 secret game is gonna blow the doors off of every thing. That game is bold, beautiful, and more visceral than any other visceral game that has come before it and maybe any other that will come after it.

Can't wait to drink your eventual tears. Hold tight to your blanket baby.
o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom