• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
FOEHPMZ.jpg

Good news everyone! Ephemerid has made it through Apple's Kafkaesque approval process and goes on sale on the app store tomorrow!

I linked our launch gameplay trailer the other day, but we also commissioned a really cool video from a dude named Eric Power. He makes awesome stop motion paper videos. His style was the original inspiration for the look of our game and it was totally cool to see him interpret our game in his style.

Timeaisis

FOEHPMZ.jpg

Good news everyone! Ephemerid has made it through Apple's Kafkaesque approval process and goes on sale on the app store tomorrow!

I linked our launch gameplay trailer the other day, but we also commissioned a really cool video from a dude named Eric Power. He makes awesome stop motion paper videos. His style was the original inspiration for the look of our game and it was totally cool to see him interpret our game in his style.

Awesome! Grabbing this tomorrow!

Unity works perfectly for me.

I have 5 different versions of it installed and none of them have the issues you're describing.

My latest PC geared install is pretty old though. Maybe the newest release has a bug?

MonoDevelop is flaky, not Unity. After switching to Visual Studio I have yet to have a "cannot attach" or "could not move file" since. For the record, you can develop with VS with Unity by changing your environment, however you lose the debugger. I went ahead and invested in UnityVS which is a plug-in for VS2012 to be able to link with Unity and act as a debugger just like MonoDevelop could. It's great and I couldn't recommend it more.

Ah, I stand corrected -- it is MonoDevelop that has been flaky, Unity seems pretty solid. As for Visual Studio, I much prefer it too. I looked into UnityVS but I requires a non-Express version of Visual Studio. I can't drop the money on that right now. What I've done instead is create a light-weight XNA wrapper (only the bits I need) for Unity and I'll do most of my development and debugging in Visual Studio with XNA and copy over the files to Unity for deployment. Working nicely so far, and it means I can avoid MonoDevelop.

Here is this old video I made messing around with bump maps and shadows and such. I didn't really make any of these assets though since I'm not really an artist. Just some things I played around with a while back.

It is called zamboni in space because of the shading I did :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMIj7tVoi8I

oooh shiny! I like shiny.

So Ephemerid is now available on the app store. It's been such a long road that it feels sort of anticlimactic. Super proud of it though.

Oh and we just put up a new website.

GulAtiCa

Feels almost weird to finally have my game (ZaciSa's Last Stand, Wii U) to be releasing in 7 days now. Heck, just giving out review codes to websites is weird to me when I used to be on the other side receiving codes. haha

Feels almost weird to finally have my game (ZaciSa's Last Stand, Wii U) to be releasing in 7 days now. Heck, just giving out review codes to websites is weird to me when I used to be on the other side receiving codes. haha

Right there with ya.

How was developing for the Wii U? Our game could possibly be a good fit for a port(we are in unity). If you don't mind me asking, how was the cert process and dev relations? I know a guy who had some horror stories about getting a game out on the DSi. I hope and assume things have improved since then.

GulAtiCa

Right there with ya.

How was developing for the Wii U? Our game could possibly be a good fit for a port(we are in unity). If you don't mind me asking, how was the cert process and dev relations? I know a guy who had some horror stories about getting a game out on the DSi. I hope and assume things have improved since then.

Personally, it was great. And very easy for me to get certified and get a dev kit. Esp since I never made a game before. I literally just signed up. Working with Nintendo has been pretty good and easy too so far. I found them helpful.

You should check this out: https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/

make a 2d game -- right now I just want to learn the basics of how to use the engine

I'm in the same position. These are two that I've done so far - both for shooters:

http://pixelnest.io/tutorials/2d-game-unity/ (using sprites)
http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/space-shooter (using 3D models)

I found the coding of the second one to be a bit better organised and explained, and it goes a bit further with regard of GUI elements.

I'm really keen on messing around with platforming though, and I'm yet to find a good tutorial for that.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'm in the same position. These are two that I've done so far - both for shooters:

http://pixelnest.io/tutorials/2d-game-unity/ (using sprites)
http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/space-shooter (using 3D models)

I found the coding of the second one to be a bit better organised and explained, and it goes a bit further with regard of GUI elements.

I'm really keen on messing around with platforming though, and I'm yet to find a good tutorial for that.
I've never done it personally but I know there's a unity 2d tutorial. Here it is.

Chaos

Ah, I stand corrected -- it is MonoDevelop that has been flaky, Unity seems pretty solid. As for Visual Studio, I much prefer it too. I looked into UnityVS but I requires a non-Express version of Visual Studio.

For the non express version you could look into the Dreamspark program from Microsoft if you are a student or the Bizspark program. I don't know a lot about them but read about people using them.

I've never done it personally but I know there's a unity 2d tutorial. Here it is.

Yeah I'm aware of this one, but annoyingly it seems to just be a complete project with commented code, which is a bit overwhelming to jump right into for beginners. It's really helpful to learn by building something incrementally, which is something the two tutorials I linked above do very well.

amanset

Yeah I'm aware of this one, but annoyingly it seems to just be a complete project with commented code, which is a bit overwhelming to jump right into for beginners. It's really helpful to learn by building something incrementally, which is something the two tutorials I linked above do very well.

Yeah the Pixelnest one is the one that got me going. Very handy it is.

FOEHPMZ.jpg

Congrats! I hope it goes well. I'm still loving the art direction and music :3

Here is this old video I made messing around with bump maps and shadows and such. I didn't really make any of these assets though since I'm not really an artist. Just some things I played around with a while back.

It is called zamboni in space because of the shading I did :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMIj7tVoi8I
Ooh! shiny! :D The random skype noise towards the end had me checking my PC to make sure I didn't have skype on though XD

BLtvRGT.gif

Our hero's scarf will be physics based,

BOY LOOK AT THE TIME!

Aw shit yes, scarf time

zRe2Kb9.gif
This looks neat. I love the look of anything that flows behind a character dramatically like that, whether it's scarves, cloaks, hair, a dress or whatever :3

Pierate

Is anyone here using Construct 2? I've been playing around with a game idea in it and ran into a weird issue. Basically when i restart the layout (either by death or a restart button), the layout restarts but all the sprite objects persists, resulting in multiple player characters, enemies, game over texts etc. Yet all other objects restart as they should.

I really don't know what might have caused it, I can't seem to find anything that's wrong.

If someone wants to check out the file to look it over to try to figure it out, send me pm.

Also, awesome work everyone, really inspiring stuff in here :)

GulAtiCa

I'm curious to see how long it takes people to notice that I increased the difficulty curve once they get past lv 10 in my game (Tower Defense genre). I increase each enemy speed by a certain power percentage that increases every 10 levels while also doing the normal level increase stats. Not only that, but I punish players who decide to try to stick with just one bot defense by increasing speed by 10%. Of course, there are other things like this here and there in the game too.

hehehe

Five

Banned
I'm curious to see how long it takes people to notice that I increased the difficulty curve once they get past lv 10 in my game (Tower Defense genre). I increase each enemy speed by a certain power percentage that increases every 10 levels while also doing the normal level increase stats. Not only that, but I punish players who decide to try to stick with just one bot defense by increasing speed by 10%. Of course, there are other things like this here and there in the game too.

hehehe

Is there a bot that's good against all enemies? Usually the best way to design around this problem instead of punishing the player without an explanation is to make enemies be more susceptible to different kinds of attacks/towers and less to others, whether from patterning or from armor type or something like that.

GulAtiCa

Is there a bot that's good against all enemies? Usually the best way to design around this problem instead of punishing the player without an explanation is to make enemies be more susceptible to different kinds of attacks/towers and less to others, whether from patterning or from armor type or something like that.

Not so much punishing the player, more just trying to increase the difficulty so that money doesn't become way too much unused. The idea behind the later levels to to be extremely challenging. It's tiny changes, but enough to be slightly more noticeable as the game goes on.

Actually the "helper" bot is one of the best items in the game. Slows/Freezes the enemy in place for a certain bit. Trick with it, is that it's weak starting out, but VERY effective fully powered up.

Actually, the only time I punish the player is if they stick with just one bot (which is dumb past level 10 and kinda very hard to keep up anyways) or if the map has multiple bases to defend and they decide to defend only one and let the rest die. (I speed up the bot movements)
I did this essentially as sticking with one bot can make the game easier.

Edit: Didn't see what you bolded.
The game enemies don't really damage the bots themselves, so no bot is really weak to a enemy, just how effective they are is the factor. The default Sentry or Bomber works best by itself early on. Cloud bot works well too if powered up enough.

Five

Banned
Not so much punishing the player, more just trying to increase the difficulty so that money doesn't become way too much unused. The idea behind the later levels to to be extremely challenging. It's tiny changes, but enough to be slightly more noticeable as the game goes on.

Actually the "helper" bot is one of the best items in the game. Slows/Freezes the enemy in place for a certain bit. Trick with it, is that it's weak starting out, but VERY effective fully powered up.

Actually, the only time I punish the player is if they stick with just one bot (which is dumb past level 10 and kinda very hard to keep up anyways) or if the map has multiple bases to defend and they decide to defend only one and let the rest die. (I speed up the bot movements)
I did this essentially as sticking with one bot can make the game easier.

Edit: Didn't see what you bolded.
The game enemies don't really damage the bots themselves, so no bot is really weak to a enemy, just how effective they are is the factor. The default Sentry or Bomber works best by itself early on. Cloud bot works well too if powered up enough.

Cool. Sounds like you've got it figured out. I just know that punishing players who don't play exactly how you want them to is an easy trap to fall into, and not usually a good thing. But I'm glad it sounds like you know what you're doing!

Some new room concepts for Murder at Mystery Manor.

The Foyer

The Conservatory

A few more here.

And here's some murdering GIFs because.

Killing a dude.

Moving a body.
Wow, nice concept art. I'll need to sit down and do some environment sketches soon myself I guess (not my strong point XD )
One thing bothering me... what's up with the player character? :eek:
The people you're killing look normal while the PC looks more cartoonish. I'm assuming there's some placeholder-y at work? :3

Timeaisis

Wow, nice concept art. I'll need to sit down and do some environment sketches soon myself I guess (not my strong point XD )
One thing bothering me... what's up with the player character? :eek:
The people you're killing look normal while the PC looks more cartoonish. I'm assuming there's some placeholder-y at work? :3

Oh haha, yeah super placeholder-y. My artist just recently started so I don't hit much in the way of art assets at the moment. In about a month I'll have a few new models and stuff, and since I have zero art skills all I have to show is my programmer art haha.

The style will be more cartoon ish though.

Oh haha, yeah super placeholder-y. My artist just recently started so I don't hit much in the way of art assets at the moment. In about a month I'll have a few new models and stuff, and since I have zero art skills all I have to show is my programmer art haha.

The style will be more cartoon ish though.
Fair enough :3
I was getting a 'the ship' vibe from the gifs so I had a peek at your blog and stuff for the game and was excited to see it's a werewolf-style game :D

I'm really curious how you're going to go about the evidence system and the more common problem I find with games involving a murderer in the group (e.g. 'the thing' the card game) where everyone sticks together at all times ensuring there's no window of opportunity for the murderer.
The ship tried it with 'needs' but was rather clunky and ended up with everyone failing their needs because they didn't know the map layout well enough to get the toilet or whatever in time XD Needless to say, I'm glad that it doesn't seem you'll be following that route ;D

Anyhoo, looks like my kind of game :3

Success!

Just got the basics of replay/match recording working.

It'll be a feature in the final game but right now I just need it for promo material. It'd be outside my budget to get a bunch of people playing on multiple systems so with this replay tool I can overlap play sessions. Also if there's a mistake it allows me to "re-shoot" just one player verse everyone.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
It's been a while since I've posted anything on my game "Deadly Dungeoneers" because to be honest, I kind of dropped the ball for a while. The ball has been picked back up and I've put a lot more work into it that I'd like to share with you all. I'm still very new to game development but until I start putting work out there, that'll never change. So comments, questions, criticism and high fives (if applicable) are most certainly welcomed.

ANIMATED GIFS:
(Because everybody loves a gif!)

rHmRuD9.gif
CDs1AL3.gif
D5sbi6q.gif

Anustart

What's the best way to add "marks" to an object in unity? Say I'm shooting something and want to alter the texture where it was shot?

I assume I can just use raycasts to determine where I hit, but what to do after?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom