• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wondermega

Some gifs of Blast Rover. If these are too big, let me know and I'll pull them (I was judging by what people posted on the other pages)

br2.gif

br4.gif

br5.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
thanks guys -- regarding why only pausing on one side, I think I just really wanted to do something asymmetrical for once. I am someone who just loves asymmetry, I love things to not be even, and I wanted to put this into a walk cycle for once. they're always so neat. and while this one isn't particularly messy, it's a start.

To give an honest critique, I feel like the pause on the front step is a little long. He dips slightly as if he were dropping his shoulder. I dunno.
After staring at it for a while the animation starts to look like a dance move rather than a walk cycle.

The animation quality is stellar though. I like that you are going for an asymmetrical walk cycle. It adds character to it.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Updated my level key animation!

Old:

aIz02um.gif

New:

pgKqbIg.gif

Admittedly it's not a big exciting change, but I was surprised how simply tweeking a few things made a big difference, In my opinion anyway.

I've been wondering the past few days, is there any tool that helps you build a game UI and manage it easily? I've been stuck most of this week just doing simple UI screens and still have quite many more to do and wondering if I missed some really nice tool that can help me doing it. Anyway, if anyone knows of any good free tool let me know.

Chaing topic , I just wanted to have something that looks like ME style, and did some drawings today and did this a few hours ago.

BigShipShadowTest3.gif.gif

BibiMaghoo

I have some design questions I would like to pose to those who have worked on, or released an RTS game.

Specifically, how do you balance the time it takes to do things, with the available options for a player to use? For example, in my game you can base build and research new buildings, and likewise research new combat units, but obviously a player needs something to do while they are building up a base. There is exploration to keep a player busy, and minor skirmishes, but I want to know how people balance the actual time it takes.

So player receives resources (lets say every 3 minutes)
Player spends resources of building / research / units
Player continues to explore / combat
Player gets resources again.

I don't know if I'm making sense here, but essentially I need to know how long you can effectively leave a player without something to do without it being an issue. How long it is acceptable to make a player wait for something to happen they have instigated?

It's a hard thing to answer, hence me asking here :)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Since Jobbs and Ash posted a few pics/info on bosses I figure I'd continue the trend as I do not see it discussed much here, so here is the first boss of STRAFE:

A few notes on the encounter:
The boss is the first boss of the game and thus, must be treated as an introductory boss. We chose room bounds similar to that of Mega Man games as it should instantly feel familiar to players of these types of games. This was an important decision for me, as I felt adding a bit of subliminal recognizance would ease the player just enough to feel familiar with the layout that they become more comfortable taking chances.

The mechanics that drive this "Sound Blaster" type boss are a cross between AI and scripted/pattern-based sequences. We chose a middle-ground between the two as an introductory boss, we wanted to challenge the player just enough with the AI's decision-making and at the same time, throw some scripted sequences at the player so the player understands causality. The AI works in a few basic stages and performs situation-appropriate sequences BUT has the ability to break at any point, just not re-arrange the sequence. He watches the player's position, health, lives left, his own health and is mindful of line-of-sight to player with any room objects. He has, at current, two melee abilities and two ranged abilities and one combination of both.

Since he is a "Sound Blaster" of sorts, he needed those types of attacks (specials) like the ability to BLAST SOUND waves at the player and his overpowered BASS DROP alongside your typical melee styled attack patterns, charges, jumps, etc. He was fun to make, for sure.

Notes on the aesthetic:
He kinda sorta looks like a speaker cone which is what I was going for, however, I didn't want to use a larger design simply because at this stage of the story, he was just an ordinary night club owner and the infection had not had a chance to completely corrupt every partition of every hard disk (levels are hard drives, acts are partitions).

He's a Sound Blaster, it's only fitting he is in the back room of a Discotheque. I may still edit the backdrop further, but the disco lights are functional, cast rays of light and are animated. The two DJs up top should be recognizable to anyone who knows their silver/gold helmets.

mabec

Looks awesome, Samban. Are you planning to make a story or is it more of an bomberman game for the 21th century?
Even tho i loved Hotline Miami i could never master it, this looks like something Hitman is missing out on.
Using a silenced weapon in that GIF? The reaction seems slow on the AI.

Blizzard

Banned
I've been wondering the past few days, is there any tool that helps you build a game UI and manage it easily? I've been stuck most of this week just doing simple UI screens and still have quite many more to do and wondering if I missed some really nice tool that can help me doing it. Anyway, if anyone knows of any good free tool let me know.

Chaing topic , I just wanted to have something that looks like ME style, and did some drawings today and did this a few hours ago.

I'm impressed but also saddened since I want to have a very similar look in my game with space backgrounds and a ship. :p

Sàmban

Banned
Looks awesome, Samban. Are you planning to make a story or is it more of an bomberman game for the 21th century?
Even tho i loved Hotline Miami i could never master it, this looks like something Hitman is missing out on.
Using a silenced weapon in that GIF? The reaction seems slow on the AI.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm actually planning something rather different with this. It's going to be released in episodic chunks, and the story will be directed/influenced by GAFers and myself. I'm just waiting until I can make threads to really get the project going.

As far as the AI, these are the easiest enemies so they are pretty slow. Harder enemies not only react to sound, but they even do things like notice bullets that pass by them even if they don't actually get hit by them. Also, they will attempt to walk out of the line of fire, flank you, and run to cover more often.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

What engine are you using? If it is Unity, there are some tools out there that go beyond the basic GUI setup within Unity. Unity also includes GUIStyle and GUISkin classes that add on quite a bit of customization. This is something they are addressing in 4.6 though whenever that releases, (hopefully before the summer is up). From what it looks like, the whole UI system will be vastly improved within Unity.

BlindGUI

NGUI

Video discussing UI changes for 4.6

mabec

Sàmban;122767012 said:
As far as the AI,

Hey, quick random idea. How about putting a bunch of those enemy AIs in a 10x10 room and turn on enemy rage on each other, i wanna see a last standing GIF like that.

wondermega

Do you have a Twitter page, site for this? Look like it's going to be a mobile title. Any other info?

Thanks! Here's a link I posted several pages ago (facebook vid). Twitter

And some details 'cuz you asked - game is kinda like Moon Patrol meets Super Meat Boy - mobile & PC - made w 2 other gaffers, 160 levels. Putting the polish on now, hoping it will be out within the next month's time. Watch my FB & twitter for news (I'll update in here also). Working on 2 other games which should wrap up soon as well.

In other words - I am exhausted

Jobbs

Banned
(apologies if these gifs are a bit big, if you click them they link to webms which load faster)

I'm kind of interested in having an alternate, more explosive death for most enemies if you hit them hard enough -- sort of like you see in fallout 3, where the enemy explodes into a bunch of parts.

I already have various "generic" gibs in my inventory, so I have plenty of stuff to get started working on such a thing.

When an overkill death occurs, first I remove the main sprite from the character and swap it with zombie gibs in roughly the right positions to compose the figure. To help get this dialed in, I froze the gibs in place when they spawn so I could script them out and trial and error until each one is about in the right spot. There are additional sparks and smaller gibs that spray out a bit more haphazardly, as well.

With this done, I apply various forces to the body parts when they spawn to try and make a satisfying kill. This is what I have so far:

It may not be perfect yet, but it's ballpark. If anything is missing I think it's some nice blood sprays, which I am still thinking about how to approach.

-Winnie-

Nice work!!

Bunch of people have been tweeting us about how much fun they're having, it's making me all excited n stuff!

FalseThisAsianpiedstarling.gif

Oh man, that whip attack is sick haha.

Sàmban;122761822 said:
GrandioseIndolentJerboa.gif

I'm officially calling this game "Contract."

What do you think of the name indie GAF?

Looking good, the animations are nice and the artstyle is clean. Reminds me of Hotline Miami. What are you planning to do with the game?

Jobbs

Banned
It'd be cool if you could see a remnant of a hit on their bodies ( from the direction of fire ) and maybe a few sparks that fall down right as they hit, overall it looks incredible!

thanks :) -- as for leaving impact wounds wherever you hit, doing that in a way that totally works sounds a bit tricky to me. I'd need to use some kind of decals, but since the art is totally flat, 2D art, it's hard to not make that look strange.

Oop, I don't post in here as often as I should XD

I'm kind of interested in having an alternate, more explosive death for most enemies if you hit them hard enough -- sort of like you see in fallout 3, where the enemy explodes into a bunch of parts.

I already have various "generic" gibs in my inventory, so I have plenty of stuff to get started working on such a thing.

When an overkill death occurs, first I remove the main sprite from the character and swap it with zombie gibs in roughly the right positions to compose the figure. To help get this dialed in, I froze the gibs in place when they spawn so I could script them out and trial and error until each one is about in the right spot. There are additional sparks and smaller gibs that spray out a bit more haphazardly, as well.

With this done, I apply various forces to the body parts when they spawn to try and make a satisfying kill. This is what I have so far:

It may not be perfect yet, but it's ballpark. If anything is missing I think it's some nice blood sprays, which I am still thinking about how to approach.

Looking good! Just curious but have you tried holding the gibs in place like in the first gif for a for brief period before sending them flying? The gibs taking the place of the monster looks kind of cool and seeing it transition, however briefly, before the parts scatter could be interesting. Might look a bit more arcadey than what you're after though? I dunno, it's just a thought I had :3

Jobbs

Banned
Oop, I don't post in here as often as I should XD

Looking good! Just curious but have you tried holding the gibs in place like in the first gif for a for brief period before sending them flying? The gibs taking the place of the monster looks kind of cool and seeing it transition, however briefly, before the parts scatter could be interesting. Might look a bit more arcadey than what you're after though? I dunno, it's just a thought I had :3

yeah, this is actually how I REMEMBER it being in fallout 3, where you get a quick glimpes of the gibs sort of seeming to stand in place before flying out. gonna be testing this idea.

Noogy

yeah, this is actually how I REMEMBER it being in fallout 3, where you get a quick glimpes of the gibs sort of seeming to stand in place before flying out. gonna be testing this idea.

I'd be careful with too much gore. What you have going looks great quite honestly, and I'm not too sure you need to go much further.

For example, the first builds of Dust were incredibly bloody... like, miles of arterial spray. This was just for testing, and while it looked cool it didn't add much, and looked a bit 'look at me, I'm edgy!' I like to think I reached a much larger audience with that decision, particularly since I had to rate against the ESRB.

cbox

thanks :) -- as for leaving impact wounds wherever you hit, doing that in a way that totally works sounds a bit tricky to me. I'd need to use some kind of decals, but since the art is totally flat, 2D art, it's hard to not make that look strange.

I guess you could create layers of impact wounds over a comp of the enemy in Photoshop and then extract the transparent layer? Would definitely look sweet :D

Jobbs

Banned
I'd be careful with too much gore. What you have going looks great quite honestly, and I'm not too sure you need to go much further.

For example, the first builds of Dust were incredibly bloody... like, miles of arterial spray. This was just for testing, and while it looked cool it didn't add much, and looked a bit 'look at me, I'm edgy!' I like to think I reached a much larger audience with that decision, particularly since I had to rate against the ESRB.

thanks -- I doubt the gore will go much further for regular enemies than this. that said, if I had to get an ESRB rating it'd likely be M anyway -- unless I cut ideas out of the game just for the sake of changing the rating, which I have little appetite for. one of the great things about being indie is making what you want to make.

also -- I've never made a decision to be "edgy", I just do what I want to do.

btw - I'd be curious to see blood spray dust footage. :)

Trying to get the tutorial level first steps in order and I am unsure of how it is coming along. I'm very much an all-or-nothing kind of guy and seeing such slow pacing here worries me. I have seen far slower pacing in first levels but part of me is like "this is 2014, people already understand basic side-scrolling action games" and throw them to the wolves from the get-go. The other part of me knows there are some people that just aren't the greatest starting out at these games and need to take it slow.

Another issue I have is that what you see here in terms of enemies, is pretty much it without AI. We are nearing 15 enemy types all with their own unique behaviours. The 1st level "cannon fodder" type enemies are few and far between. Pretty much just because I am never a fan of enemies that just run, stand still, or bounce between points. I probably should be making more of these (as seen by the runner) for early levels so people can get used to controlling STRAFE.

Thoughts on the following?
lvl_1_gameplay.gif

If not loading:
http://stuff.absinthegames.com/lvl_1_gameplay.gif

Also: The environment isn't complete and the red voxel explosions are just particles, at the moment. I am still dressing up enemies to properly explode, adding physics to their particles and using correct particle count/color for each enemy death. There are a lot of effects like this that aren't finished due to prioritizing mechanics.

Thanks for your time, GAF.

Noogy

Trying to get the tutorial level first steps in order and I am unsure of how it is coming along. I'm very much an all-or-nothing kind of guy and seeing such slow pacing here worries me. I have seen far slower pacing in first levels but part of me is like "this is 2014, people already understand basic side-scrolling action games" and throw them to the wolves from the get-go. The other part of me knows there are some people that just aren't the greatest starting out at these games and need to take it slow.

Another issue I have is that what you see here in terms of enemies, is pretty much it without AI. We are nearing 15 enemy types all with their own unique behaviours. The 1st level "cannon fodder" type enemies are few and far between. Pretty much just because I am never a fan of enemies that just run, stand still, or bounce between points. I probably should be making more of these (as seen by the runner) for early levels so people can get used to controlling STRAFE.

lvl_1_gameplay.gif

If not loading:

Also: The environment isn't complete and the red voxel explosions are just particles, at the moment. I am still dressing up enemies to properly explode, adding physics to their particles and using correct particle count/color for each enemy death. There are a lot of effects like this that aren't finished due to prioritizing mechanics.

This is looking really nice, movement is solid! I'd recommend putting a limiter on vertical camera movement, so that the player can never leave a certain safe zone. If you want it to look smooth just have your camera 'catch up' faster depending on how close your player is to the top or bottom.

This is looking really nice, movement is solid! I'd recommend putting a limiter on vertical camera movement, so that the player can never leave a certain safe zone. If you want it to look smooth just have your camera 'catch up' faster depending on how close your player is to the top or bottom.

Thanks, Noogy! We are constantly tweaking that silly thing (camera). There's a lot of functionality we have with it in terms of panning, effects, movement, follow, etc - we layered a lot so it can transition smoothly. We do have safe zones in place that do accelerate/decelerate camera movement based on distance but even those are a constant tweak. The player escapes the FOV in that GIF because I didn't capture the whole screen :p

Feep

Banned

lvl_1_gameplay.gif

If not loading:

I am straight up in love with this game so far. That teleport-to-wall mechanic is shades of FFXV, and it is awesome.

I am straight up in love with this game so far. That teleport-to-wall mechanic is shades of FFXV, and it is awesome.

Thanks, Feep! It's a special attack/escape that can be used for a multitude of situations and level design in the later half of the game ultimately invites creative use of wall stick/special attack mechanics to get by. We are trying to present interesting situations in which to use it without feeling forced and giving the player a few options as to what they feel is its best use in any given situation. It has a cooldown so it isn't spammable but it can be used as a traversal tool as level design dictates.

Thanks again!

Blizzard

Banned
Oddly enough, speaking of cameras and GUIs and controls, I seem to have spent all my development time this weekend on improving state machine, camera, and user interface behavior.

It is not flashy work but HOPEFULLY it pays off. I have most of the changes done that I wanted. I will try to make one more GIF in the next few days and hopefully it will be an improvement, since no one commented on the abrupt pan last time. :p

Noogy

Thanks, Noogy! We are constantly tweaking that silly thing (camera). There's a lot of functionality we have with it in terms of panning, effects, movement, follow, etc - we layered a lot so it can transition smoothly. We do have safe zones in place that do accelerate/decelerate camera movement based on distance but even those are a constant tweak. The player escapes the FOV in that GIF because I didn't capture the whole screen :p

Ah, gotya :)

GioG

Neo Member
Imminent post incoming. I should have some stuff posted up in a day or two to announce a thing I'm working on. Tons O' Gifs. Also, the aliens from Ghost Song look kinda like Re-Deads. You should try doing a similar death animation for them.

Could use some insight or suggestions GAF.

I'm adding co-op to my game GunWorld and my first hurdle has been pretty polarizing for the team and our local friends.

GunWorld is a NES style side scrolling action game, and it features scrolling screens similar to the original Zelda or Mega Man series. When the player reaches the edge of the screen it pauses and scrolls to the new screen.

Obviously this is complicated if you add another player.

First thought was that the first player to reach a scroll zone simply freezes until the other catches up, but this makes sections where you can go multiple ways more complicated. It also makes up and down scrolls really jarring as you can end up falling right back into a downward scroll zone if both players arent perfectly timed.

The second thought was that the first player to touch a screen scroll warps the other player to them immediately and just does the scroll as normal.

Any feedback on how you'd like this handled as a player?

GioG

Neo Member
Could use some insight or suggestions GAF.
First thought was that the first player to reach a scroll zone simply freezes until the other catches up, but this makes sections where you can go multiple ways more complicated. It also makes up and down scrolls really jarring as you can end up falling right back into a downward scroll zone if both players arent perfectly timed.

The second thought was that the first player to touch a screen scroll warps the other player to them immediately and just does the scroll as normal.

Any feedback on how you'd like this handled as a player?

Make a rectangular area near the transition points wherein if both players are standing on it and looking at the direction of the next screen, they scroll.

Blizzard

Banned
OK, I think I finally have both snapping and panning working at an acceptable level for testing. I will probably want to tune them further, change things, and/or provide user options, but here is what I have come up with.

Old version:
http://abload.de/img/camera_jump2wuap.gif

New version:
http://abload.de/img/camera_snap_and_panueii3.gif

If the mouse moves over a square that overlaps the edge of the window, the square snaps to be fully onscreen. I am hoping that this snap is short enough that it is easy to track visually. For longer motions, I use a camera pan. It is fast, but hopefully less confusing than jumping directly to the final point.

It is starting to get difficult to make decent GIFs out of this, so I may need to start trying to record videos or find an alternative to gifcam.

I hope I have not added some stupid performance-killing code in with the user interface and camera code I did this weekend!

hi everyone,
have been lurking, unable to post forever... (account linked to ages-old work email)

wanted to share Narcosis. It's a first-person survival story - think Gravity, at the bottom of the ocean.

we're a small, international collective with varying degrees of "industry experience," but hoping to break free of our day jobs to pursue this full time. We're using Unity, and aiming for a 2015 release.

plenty more at the usual social media suspects, but this trailer does a good sense of the look/feel we're going for. Any and all input, criticisms or support are appreciated!

1609629_693117794071646_713785620_n.jpg

10151386_708282635888495_693802873_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom