• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Winnie-

hi everyone,
have been lurking, unable to post forever... (account linked to ages-old work email)

wanted to share Narcosis. It's a first-person survival story - think Gravity, at the bottom of the ocean.

we're a small, international collective with varying degrees of "industry experience," but hoping to break free of our day jobs to pursue this full time. We're using Unity, and aiming for a 2015 release.

plenty more at the usual social media suspects, but this trailer does a good sense of the look/feel we're going for. Any and all input, criticisms or support are appreciated!

1609629_693117794071646_713785620_n.jpg

10151386_708282635888495_693802873_n.jpg

Gravity underwater... I like it! Just watching the video is making me feel tense haha. Hope the game does well!

Dascu

hi everyone,
have been lurking, unable to post forever... (account linked to ages-old work email)

wanted to share Narcosis. It's a first-person survival story - think Gravity, at the bottom of the ocean.

we're a small, international collective with varying degrees of "industry experience," but hoping to break free of our day jobs to pursue this full time. We're using Unity, and aiming for a 2015 release.

plenty more at the usual social media suspects, but this trailer does a good sense of the look/feel we're going for. Any and all input, criticisms or support are appreciated!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1609629_693117794071646_713785620_n.jpg?oh=5df6b9578f3dc419dbd1d58794b67790&oe=544BE05C&__gda__=1413484989_3047e85e364b735ace5e4ddf4bdab294[IMG]

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10151386_708282635888495_693802873_n.jpg?oh=ff897d8fc7a98d381121fc31b5f0feaf&oe=54474FCF&__gda__=1413596134_045ef6ab81232bc4abec87cf16847ed0[IMG][/QUOTE]
Looks neat.

Will there be combat of sorts? Harpoons could be a lot of fun.

Pehesse

So in the end, I decided to try out the idea of having a status bar to inform the player of his current standing stat-wise. Here's the first draft of the idea, with big bright placeholders for all the stat icons :

tumblr_inline_n9fdxgGapQ1rfzuuq.gif

By default, you don't have the option to even make the bar appear, but if you decide you'd like to have it on, you can toggle the bar on/off at will, and the bar will automatically appear to update you on stat changes when any occur, if the bar isn't currently displayed (which is what happens in the .gif)

The stats represented are : Honey’s current tiredness, strength, defense, speed, proficiency in biology, linguistics, math, where her suit currently is, her reputation, and the suspicion people have of her daytime persona being Honey.
They are updated in tiers, relative to your current game progress : for instance, Honey will be satisfied (and shown as such) with having 20 STR in February, but that’s going to be a little short come April. What each icon represent are Honey’s satisfaction with her stats, not the raw numerical stats themselves, so there’s still a degree of vagueness.

Since it performs correctly, next task is to make correct icons to see how it looks and if it really adds something!

Blizzard

Banned
By default, you don't have the option to even make the bar appear, but if you decide you'd like to have it on, you can toggle the bar on/off at will, and the bar will automatically appear to update you on stat changes when any occur, if the bar isn't currently displayed (which is what happens in the .gif)
Looking cool, though all the curves on the edge may be a little distracting in my opinion.

My highest task on the to-do list is oddly enough a status bar as well. I figure it would be a good idea to have a bar at the bottom of the screen that shows the current player, turn, color, and some resource/unit/whatever information. I also have to decide if I want to make it transparent, solid, fade/slide away after a few seconds, or some user-configurable combination of the above. :p

Pehesse

Looking cool, though all the curves on the edge may be a little distracting in my opinion.

My highest task on the to-do list is oddly enough a status bar as well. I figure it would be a good idea to have a bar at the bottom of the screen that shows the current player, turn, color, and some resource/unit/whatever information. I also have to decide if I want to make it transparent, solid, fade/slide away after a few seconds, or some user-configurable combination of the above. :p

I'm not sure about the curves either, I'll have to see with more feedback and more time passed to see with fresher eyes how it looks. I wanted to complement how I think the icons will be (which will be mostly rounded) but maybe there's something else to try.

As far as your status bar goes, I'd say to try to fit with your existing buttons and GUI and what you want the player to be able to access at any given time? I wanted the option to toggle the bar off to allow better visibility on the background images, but for a turn-based game where information is important, it might be better to have something constant on screen - and as such, perhaps something that doesn't take too much space or with plenty of breathing space since it would be there most of/all the time?

Drinkel

afistfullofblueberriex6kdf.gif

So gamejams are fun, went to No More Sweden last weekend and made a game about picking blueberries using only your horse hooves.

razu

I've done the pick-up part of collecting energy. Just doing a quick pass on the initial look. I want to add some inner brightness to the balls. They look pretty cool in motion. I'll do a video at some point :D

I love the way they overlap and blend together. And that they make the grey level super colourful. I think I'll make the level very desaturated just for this difference.

LOL, just noticed the green and red balls are giving off the wrong colour light... Still nice :D

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
Does anyone here use Unity's playmaker or Unreal Engine's Blueprint exclusively. I want to start making games but programming will be the biggest hurdle.

Also, everyone's games look awesome what engines do you guys use?

Jobbs

Banned

I can't stop watching this.

Does anyone here use Unity's playmaker or Unreal Engine's Blueprint exclusively. I want to start making games but programming will be the biggest hurdle.

I use Stencyl. It's a pretty good bet for anyone who doesn't have programming experience, as are C2 and Game Maker. That said, in each case there's a learning curve before you start to "get it" and you have to put effort in to get to that point.

Falnabol

I have 2 mobile games I want to make, and I'm a newbie with some Unity experience.
I also have Unreal installed on my computer but I think thats a bit too much hot sauce to develop a android/ios game with.

One game is a simple 2d game and the other is a simple 3d game.

Which engine should I be using to develop these?

SeanNoonan

Jack B. Nimble is getting pretty close to being finished...

jackbnimble_slow.gif

Fixing a couple of bugs and waiting on some more music before I can put a big bow on top and call it done.

Bonus GIF:
jackbcry.gif

Oh and to the guy above, as an engine, I use Construct 2 - I thoroughly recommend it for people who don't feel like coding a great deal.

I'm using UE4+Blueprint right now. Epic is churning out a lot of fantastic examples that are very easy to follow.

What do you want to make?

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
I'm using UE4+Blueprint right now. Epic is churning out a lot of fantastic examples that are very easy to follow.

What do you want to make?

Either a game kinda like Gone Home or a 2d game with a big open world.
Obviously, I will start smaller than this. But I kinda see Blueprint as a way to bypass programming, and as long as it isn't restricting I dont see a problem.

Do you know C++ at all?

Was in this thread before but didn't have as much time as I have now. I need some help with the game I'd like to do. It's my first game ever, no programming experience at all.

I've already designed the game (in my head). It's a simple 2D game I want to put on phones and use their tilt controls.

A high score game with about two things to do. Pretty simple in my head, but I don't know where to start. What engine would be best for this kind of small, easy game?

Thank the maker. I'm speaking with a pixel artist to help me get my work done. Hope all goes well because I would be able to scratch pixeling off my list of programming, management, music, design, web, social media and eating. Been a strain leveling and musicing the past few weeks with a few aesthetic tweaks this will take a load off my back and I can dedicate more time to making the damn game.

Now I'm hungry.

Either a game kinda like Gone Home or a 2d game with a big open world.
Obviously, I will start smaller than this. But I kinda see Blueprint as a way to bypass programming, and as long as it isn't restricting I dont see a problem.

Do you know C++ at all?

A game kind of like Gone Home would be a good start since it wouldn't really really on much gameplay. Getting your character to move around in UE4 is pretty straight forward.

I do know C++ btw.

Davision

Neo Member
I can't stop watching this.
That could then possibly mean that you are hungry. :)

looks like tons of fun, saw the video and liked the part where the knight is being used to smack things while holding up to the horse somehow , is the knight tied to the horse or what?...and the luigi looks of the horse :)

Yea, it is the safety rope, it can be used to keep riding when your rider falls off your horse. That he gets smacked around is just minor downside of the safety rope. It is totally safe though. ;)

Was in this thread before but didn't have as much time as I have now. I need some help with the game I'd like to do. It's my first game ever, no programming experience at all.

I've already designed the game (in my head). It's a simple 2D game I want to put on phones and use their tilt controls.

A high score game with about two things to do. Pretty simple in my head, but I don't know where to start. What engine would be best for this kind of small, easy game?

kabel

Hi GAF!

I'm new to game development and searched for a free 2d game engine to begin with. So by free I mean I don't want to pay extra 1500€ just to export my game to android etc. I'm looking at you Unity.

I've found this engine yesterday and I think this will be the one:http://www.godotengine.org/wp/

It seems that this engine is very unknown so I have some concerns about it.
Does anybody know if thats a good engine? Seems to have pretty good features.
I would also like to hear some recommendations for alternatives. They just have to be free* and have a build-in animation tool.

*by free I mean no 1500€ modules and no 'pro'-version...just free.

kabel

You can export free to Android.
Since when?
Last time I looked at Unity you had to buy these modules for nearly everything...

Edit: I just visited the Unity Store and yep...$1500 for Unity pro and $1500 for the Android module.

Or have I misunderstood?

"Since when?
Last time I looked at Unity you had to buy these modules for nearly everything..."

They gave everyone free licenses for iOS and Android export in 2012 and made it just a normal part of Unity Free in 2013.

DinkyDev

Neo Member
Since when?
Last time I looked at Unity you had to buy these modules for nearly everything...

Edit: I just visited the Unity Store and yep...$1500 for Unity pro and $1500 for the Android module.

Or have I misunderstood?
You've misunderstood, but only slightly. These are for the PRO versions. You can still export to Android and iOS with the FREE version. You just won't get the pro features for those platforms.

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone doing the next Ludum Dare? I hope I get the time.
I didn't know when it was, next. Apparently it's August 22. If I'm not busy I will probably try it. I was sad last time since I felt I worked harder and did better in all categories last time, yet got rated worse in virtually all categories for making an actual game instead of an art doodler (my previous ludum dare attempt). :p

cbox

We just got this comment from one of our beta players, and it's insane - makes all the hard work so worth it.

Listen, this game is beautiful. Shwip is absolutely a labor of love, I believe that--the controls alone are a testament to the belief. It will take a while to get remotely decent at this, but, the ship is so dexterously controlled and the variety of weapons and movements so diverse in type and usefulness, that you will be able to truly develop your own tailored style of play, completely different from other players, yet highly capable. I was accidently doing things, merely letting myself toy about, and found myself laughing with a surprised, pleasing satisfaction a few times at what I did. Now I just have to learn how to do it. It's as if my GWRE and Mirror's Edge somehow got mixed together.

What a difference between what I do in my day job, and with this one the side. Makes me want to push harder to do this full time.

razu

I didn't know when it was, next. Apparently it's August 22. If I'm not busy I will probably try it. I was sad last time since I felt I worked harder and did better in all categories last time, yet got rated worse in virtually all categories for making an actual game instead of an art doodler (my previous ludum dare attempt). :p

Yeah, people are fickle :D

Awesome, I had no idea the company was purchased by MS. I also almost bought UnityVS a couple times, so glad it's free now :)

Sadly, VS is nowhere near free! I have bizspark, so I can use it for a few years. But there's no way I can justify buying VS just for this. And I don't want to get used to it and then have to stop using it later.. Monodevelop it is... :'(

Noogy

I love UnityVS, I wouldn't have even touched Unity without it. I'm a little bummed having purchased a license just months before they became part of MS, but I'm glad I was able to support them. Strongly recommended for anyone using VS.

....and... upgrading to the latest version of UnityVS just broke my entire game. Crap.

Edit: Ok, cool, simply had to remove all instances of UnityVS. Now it's called Visual Studio Tools.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Been busting my butt lately working on my game previously known as "Deadly Dungeoneers". It's recently been renamed "Champion Summons". I'm new to programming/game development and this is my first real attempt at a game. I'm hoping you guys will take a look and let me know your thoughts of how things are looking thus far and perhaps any pointers. I obviously have much further to go, the more I do, the more I realize I need to get done and that list just keeps getting scarier. I'm doing my best though.

Let me know what you think GAF, and try not to hold my childish art against me.

Edit: Art is a bit skewed because the game ran native 800x600 and I had to scale for 1280x720 for youtube to display properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom