• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeaisis

I love UnityVS, I wouldn't have even touched Unity without it. I'm a little bummed having purchased a license just months before they became part of MS, but I'm glad I was able to support them. Strongly recommended for anyone using VS.

....and... upgrading to the latest version of UnityVS just broke my entire game. Crap.

Edit: Ok, cool, simply had to remove all instances of UnityVS. Now it's called Visual Studio Tools.

I was literally just about to post this here, hoping someone would have a solution because I knew some people here use it, too. Haha.

Anyway, yeah, I fixed it as well after having a near heart attack.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The import package for UnityVS changed over to "Visual Studio 2013 Tools" within the Asset menu for me. When I import the package though it's still pulling the SyntaxTree DLL's.

When I include these in my project it locks up when I attach Visual Studio. If I don't include them, debug attaches on the VS end, but doesn't start the Unity side.

Are any of you experiencing this?

Small Gaming

Neo Member
Hello GAF!

Dick Poelen and myself are working on a game called Wormhunter. The first version of the game, it is more a prototype of a game, was made for Ludum Dare, but we kept on tinkering on it. We released version 1.6 of Wormhunter a few weeks ago. We still have many ideas to implement. Up until now the focus was to create a better code base and work on how the worms would fight. That is why you can only fight with a worm and not much else. Of course we would like to share Wormhunter 1.6 with you all and hopefully you would like to give us feedback on the current version.

Windows build

Mac build

Linux build

Bollocks

I am not really using my own art, just some sample tools that are given. I am just trying to present the concept at hand.

cool, what engine are you using?
Also some advice, adjust the floor and wall texture so they share the same scale. As of now the wall texture is scaled down too much compared to the floor.
Also break up the wall, run a pipe down/set a pillar/move a crate to the corner, whatever fits your setting just to make the room uneven and interesting. If you just have perpendicular walls, it looks too artificial.

cool, what engine are you using?
Also some advice, adjust the floor and wall texture so they share the same scale. As of now the wall texture is scaled down too much compared to the floor.
Also break up the wall, run a pipe down/set a pillar/move a crate to the corner, whatever fits your setting just to make the room uneven and interesting. If you just have perpendicular walls, it looks too artificial.

C4. Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind when I start making real levels. This is currently just some geometry that allows me to actually play and mess around with what I am actually doing. I don't actually want to design a real level until I have most of the gameplay functional.

Vrolik

HGQzEqf.gif
OXRQldp.gif
MeDc1yg.gif
IFyfrQn.gif

NtotSLv.gif
q2rAwxC.gif

qDPBJqS.gif
CZmpXvS.gif
cmcAEIZ.gif
o2qHi70.gif
2FbmrZe.gif
OYRlqYa.gif
Ts2ELs3.gif

Buncha walk cycles from my evolution game. You can try what I have here http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/even-more-evolution-game/

Vrolik

That style is awesome. Got a link to the project?

Oh, sure. I made a bigger post about this earlier in this thread, not sure if you can find it, but basically its part of a larger project where I take other peoples drawings from a simulated evolution process and typically animate them. The 'game' in this case was made primarily for the Rift but I have non-Rift versions. All you can really do at the moment is explore and see weird things

More about the project here
http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com/what-is-this/

Download versions here
http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/even-more-evolution-game/

Ranger X

Been working on my game lately. Fixed a bunch of stuff I didn't like and some that I didn't have the courage to do before.

This is now a tileset test for a village zone. There's stuff I like, there's stuff I don't. Mountain background is placeholder. What does GAF think anyways?

NVillageSmall_zpsb70d5df8.png

:)

popyea

Oh, sure. I made a bigger post about this earlier in this thread, not sure if you can find it, but basically its part of a larger project where I take other peoples drawings from a simulated evolution process and typically animate them. The 'game' in this case was made primarily for the Rift but I have non-Rift versions. All you can really do at the moment is explore and see weird things

More about the project here
http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com/what-is-this/

Download versions here

This is sooo cool man. The about post is fascinating. And those 3d versions are gorgeous. So vibrant.

Either a game kinda like Gone Home or a 2d game with a big open world.
Obviously, I will start smaller than this. But I kinda see Blueprint as a way to bypass programming, and as long as it isn't restricting I dont see a problem.

Do you know C++ at all?

Hello!

An adventure game like Gone Home in UE4 would be doable. There are a lot of stellar free samples plus Hourences is offering a Blue Print class that could tell you how to make an inventory system in Blue Print:
http://www.hourences.com/videos-index/

IDK how much game you have planned or how fast you are at making models but you could probably get your game systems up in a week.

And no I do not know C++

razu

My demons will appear from portals, because that's what demons do!

Perhaps the portal colours define the colour the spawned demon takes on, and the type of energy they possess... I do like the dark demon. Maybe I'll just colour the eyes of some of them...

88c0c5p.jpg

V_Arnold

Okay guys, that is it.

I am entering beast mode RIGHT NOW. To hell with toothache, tv shows, League of Legends, other forms of games, all that jazz.

I wont stop till I got the ideas that I have working, within my games. This is it.

I do not know how I will fight all the distractions, but I wont get anywhere if I do not start to take this *very* seriously.

kamakazi5

What android tablets do you guys recommend for testing on? Obviously I will want to test on as many as possible but at this point I need an everyday tablet to work with. I was thinking of getting a low end tablet like a Galaxy Tab 2 in order to make sure it runs with most device specs. Since those are inexpensive would there be any benefit to getting a newer tablet as well?

Edit: I should have mentioned that it will be a 3D game.

Vrolik

That crayon, hands-on-touch kinda texture work is attractive. I'm interested in seeing how their environment looks to match this style. Good job.

It looks the same as the creatures, only there are way more plant types than animal. They're still 'evolved' the same as the animals though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uOlqoZnywW4

In case you guys keep missing it you can play through what I have here for the Rift, in browser, or as a download

GioG

Neo Member
hxu2bnr.gif

Null Zone is a Metroid-like 2D survival horror game with tank controls and a Pikmin style time limit. You turn left, right, towards the screen, or away and combine it with movement despite the 2D perspective. Gifs of movement coming eventually.

l38AwFG.gif

The game uses a battery mechanic that slowly drains as you walk around, run, or attack, so wasting movements forces the player to head back to their space pod to recharge. At the bottom of the screen is the heartbeat monitor that spikes when in danger and turns colors when hurt. The player has a limited number of days to collect all of the parts to fix your ship (hence the Pikmin mechanic) each of which are hidden away in one of the four "Zones". The player is equipped with the Phaser - basically a stun gun that gains new abilities as you traverse the Null Zone, like remote detonated bombs and a shot that creates bridges.

cLicnDn.gif

Map of the first zone, "Apophenia" - the map design is partially inspired by Metroid, except it's 3D.

Each of the zones is modeled after a type of mental delusion, so the first obviously has horror/level design/puzzles/enemies/everything else linked to Apophenia. Because of how the controls function, the game is much heavier on the puzzle side - I want to approach everything from new rooms to enemies/bosses as a puzzle, which of course will allow for tons of sequence breaking. Since your phaser is set to stun, you're gonna have to figure out how to get around enemies by using your brain. Also, there's a random element to all of the maps wherein random things can happen depending on the day you're on.

U8Rzw1z.gif

I have a ton of other stuff I'd love to talk about regarding the design, but since it's a horror game, I'd be spoiling the horrawr, and the scenes would lose all of their feels.

I'm thinking of doing a Kickstarter thing in a month or so, mainly cause it would free me up from doing commissions. Tell me what you think - I'm not sure if that's too soon or not. I'm going to be throwing all of my time into getting a website up in the next week or so.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Color me intrigued.

I really like that you included the Pikman style time limit and "3d as 2d" is an interesting concept.

Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Moosichu

A lot of the stuff on here is making me feel really out of my depth :p. You are all so talented. :)

Anyway I have a quick question, are there any good visualisation tools for a design document? To plan things like level layouts.

For a reference point I am a webdeveloper and I am thinking of something along the lines of Balsamiqs but for games instead of webpages. Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Vark

A lot of the stuff on here is making me feel really out of my depth :p. You are all so talented. :)

Anyway I have a quick question, are there any good visualisation tools for a design document? To plan things like level layouts.

For a reference point I am a webdeveloper and I am thinking of something along the lines of Balsamiqs but for games instead of webpages. Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Google Sketch Up if you want to kind of block things out in a quick 3d.

For just general events, order, locations, etc it's traditionally just something like Visio and a block diagram / flow chart.

Hello again lovely people of GAF!

I briefly mentioned this in a post a while back, but I thought it would be worth doing a proper post if anybody missed it.

We need a 2D animator for Beacon quite badly. It's pretty much the one major thing holding us back. We are reluctant to show a lot of the gifs featuring gameplay and combat simply because it looks super goofy right now with no animations.

Point and case:
http://www.gfycat.com/TightCrispBlackrussianterrier

If anyone here is interested, or knows anyone who would be interested, please check out our advert here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/profit-share-beacon-sci-fi-roguelike-seeking-2d-animators.258825/

I've posted almost everywhere I can think of so far (polycount, reddit's gamedevclassified, facebook, twiiter, tigsource, etc), so any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks everyone!

Just wondering, are there any good free XML editors out there? Notepad++ is neat, but the way it folds XML tags can be frustrating sometimes, if it works at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom