• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a titan guy I created(WIP). For our 2D game (you would be the red guy in the pic). Do you think it's too big? He's basically 3 screens long.
golem2x.jpg

It would be about like this on the screen. You would be able to move freely up and down ect, but I guess my main concern would be that if the titan walked it would be too much/overwhelming I guess. :/
golem2sm.jpg

MetaWaddleDoo

Neo Member
This is a titan guy I created(WIP). For our 2D game (you would be the red guy in the pic). Do you think it's too big? He's basically 3 screens long.

It would be about like this on the screen. You would be able to move freely up and down ect, but I guess my main concern would be that if the titan walked it would be too much/overwhelming I guess. :/

This is incredible. I think the size is fine. What would it look like on screen if the player was near the bottom half of the titan? That scene might make the titan look even more intimidating.

Not sure how the gameplay would work out, but he's giving me an Ippondatara (from Muramasa) vibe. You know, the boss that had an entire phase dedicated to fighting his foot.

Robin64

So this is a very early look at and untitled game I'm working on for the Wii U using Nintendo Web Framework.

I had the idea of turning the ice puzzles from Pokémon into a full puzzle game, but a perspective change to "from the side" made me go with changing gravity instead. The gameplay remains the same, but feels different.

test26ksod.gif

The game will be split into chapters with each chapter having a number of levels. Each chapter will bring a new "thing", like portals or gravity wells or multiple boxes, with subsequent worlds maybe only touching on them.

multi17xsbv.gif

The game will also have a set of two player co-op levels in which communication in key. For example, in the example below, players would need to count down and move at the same time to meet in the middle.

multi2h1s1s.gif

I actually have a plan to tell a story and give the game a "heart", but we'll see how it works out. Essentially I want the window into space to show the adventures of the ship this guy is on, but he never gets to join in, he just stacks boxes in his cargo bay.

gundalf

I've been a long time observer but haven't really posted....

This is a level boss I made for a project I'm working on.

http://adversarygames.com/boss2sm.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I love this! Are there more Screenshots from your Game?

[quote="Turfster, post: 124279778"][url=http://www.daikonforge.com/forums/threads/now-disappeared-from-the-asset-store.2235/]Awesome.[/url] (By which I mean: Fuck!)
DFGUI seems to have been pulled off the Unity Asset store, and v2 seems to have disappeared into thin air.[/QUOTE]

Very unprofessional from Daikon to just pull it from the store without any notification.
I put a lot of time in learning DF-GUI but gladly, Unity's uGUI seem to work very similar.

So I went and gutted a huge chunk of the third-person character scripts from the sample beta assets in Unity, because much of the existing code is built around the arcane mysticism that is Mecanim, and I wanted something simpler (basically, I'm trying to go for a fairly basic platforming movement setup to use as a base for a third-person spectacle fighter). The control script is much the same, though, it's the actual movement that I'm overhauling. I'm using the 'Taichi' character from the asset store for now, mainly because it's got a whole bunch of animations that I can use.

Funnily enough, I'm finding that I've put pretty much nearly every method back in because they actually are useful for my purposes, but it's the actual movement and rotation that's the issue, because I want it to be, well, independent of Mecanim. The movement is working, but the rotation is fudged up. Also, for some reason, when I actually turn on the animator, it doesn't take long for Unity to suddenly make the animated character disappear and start throwing a hissy fit about improper assignments for no particular reason.

Anyhow, here's my movement and rotation code, which replaces the ConvertMoveInput() method from the original script. The movement works, but the rotation is completely bizarre, even though I'm pretty sure this should work fine.

Code:
void SetMovementInputVelocity() {

Quaternion rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(moveInput, Vector3.up);

//set the player rotation
		transform.rotation = rotation;

//Transform the vector3 to local space
		moveInput = transform.TransformDirection(moveInput);
		//set the velocity, so you can move
		velocity.x = moveInput.x*moveSpeed;
		velocity.z = moveInput.z*moveSpeed;
		//rigidbody.AddForce (Vector3.up * -10);

}

This is incredible. I think the size is fine. What would it look like on screen if the player was near the bottom half of the titan? That scene might make the titan look even more intimidating.

Not sure how the gameplay would work out, but he's giving me an Ippondatara (from Muramasa) vibe. You know, the boss that had an entire phase dedicated to fighting his foot.

Thank you ^ ^

oh wow! I've never seen that! It's not 3D is it? Well since you can fly around, it would have certain areas off over it's body to attack

So this is a very early look at and untitled game I'm working on for the Wii U using Nintendo Web Framework.

I had the idea of turning the ice puzzles from Pokémon into a full puzzle game, but a perspective change to "from the side" made me go with changing gravity instead. The gameplay remains the same, but feels different.

test26ksod.gif

I really like this! seems like it could get challenging :)

Ashodin

So today begins the shift of the original first level for Badgreens into Level 2, and the first level being the proper "tutorial" level.

Woohoo!

golem2x.jpg

golem2sm.jpg
This is glorious!

Feep

Banned
I really like experimenting with cameras for bonus/crazy modes, this looks trippy as hell :p I s it playable like that?
Not really. You can see the (Sprite Z-Test off) building sprites at bizarre angles shining through the geometry. I could kill all sprites and give all textures a flat look, I guess, but there's no camera control code or anything like that, plus a lot of the environment doesn't have 3-D geometry anyway...

...just thought it was a cool lookin' shot. = D

Feep

Banned
I've been waiting for a competent indie to do an N64-style platformer forEVER. Best of luck, and looks great so far! = D

Some gifs of the game I'm currently working on: FreezeME :)

This looks great, digging the N64 style platformer vibe. Also really digging the comment on your Greenlight page that accuses the game of looking like Animal Crossing....what? Oh, no, he's sorry, he meant Animal Crossing mixed with Zelda.....lolwut?

Voted, looking great.

Our Greenlight for GunWorld is going excellent (Kickstarter not so much). We've been reaching out but haven't gotten much press yet, we're going to be on the Indie Army show today to show off GunWorld and we're hoping that brings some more exposure to our Greenlight and KS pages. Receptions been really good so far though, very few negative comments.

misscelan

Thanks so much for the comment Feep!

This looks great, digging the N64 style platformer vibe. Also really digging the comment on your Greenlight page that accuses the game of looking like Animal Crossing....what? Oh, no, he's sorry, he meant Animal Crossing mixed with Zelda.....lolwut?

Oh well, the greenlight comments...
You always have to take them with a pinch of salt, the good, the bad and the stupid ones :p

Voted, looking great.
Thanks so much, really appreciated!

Our Greenlight for GunWorld is going excellent (Kickstarter not so much). We've been reaching out but haven't gotten much press yet, we're going to be on the Indie Army show today to show off GunWorld and we're hoping that brings some more exposure to our Greenlight and KS pages. Receptions been really good so far though, very few negative comments.

Up voted on Steam :). Your game gives me a really nice vibe, you have clearly succeeded on getting this 8-bit style!
Regarding the exposure and coverage, as someone that has been stuck on greenlight for a few months I guess I cannot really give you any wise advise :p, the only thing that I could think of is presenting your game to the reddit community, for example reddit.com/r/indiegaming

Good luck!

Pehesse

Small status update, since I just managed to break through a personal milestone!

There's of course a lot of work to do still, but the VN prototype is now main-features complete, meaning the daily sequence of events works as intended and without bugs (or at least, as far as I can tell, but that's what testing is going to be for). Now, I need to focus on adding the special events, story beats, win and fail states, and in general, add a ton more variance to random events and dialog (and simply write said dialog) - and of course, link correctly to and from the battle scenes... but it's actually pretty satisfying already to have the thing simply in general working condition!

gundalf

I hope this is now not Offtopic... i am trying to apply for a Employer Ident. Number short EIN. As i am located in Germany, selling Games on Nintendo eShop, Amazon AppStore, etc. requires a EIN.
I have send my Application via FAX to the US and got this respond:

cqxx4yulktduyhui3.png

Can someone explain me what this means? I can't even read the written words, it just looks like a mess to me!
For clarification, this is form i have send there: http://666kb.com/i/cqxxd6kuiavgid5ez.png

As you can see, i have ticked on line 9a Sole proprietor, i don't understand why i have to answer line 9b - since line 9b is only for corporations, which i am not.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Rubikant

I hope this is now not Offtopic... i am trying to apply for a Employer Ident. Number short EIN. As i am located in Germany, selling Games on Nintendo eShop, Amazon AppStore, etc. requires a EIN.

cqxx4yulktduyhui3.png

Can someone explain me what this means? I can't even read the written words, it just looks like a mess to me!
For clarification, this is form i have send there: http://666kb.com/i/cqxxd6kuiavgid5ez.png

As you can see, i have ticked on line 9a Sole proprietor, i don't understand why i have to answer line 9b - since line 9b is only for corporations, which i am not.

Pretty sure the written text says "Line instructions notwithstanding, substitute word "business" for "corporation"".

I think what they are saying is, ignore what the instructions say, and fill out line 9b anyway, ignore the fact that it says corporation and just imagine it says "business" instead and do it. Sounds like they are saying the instructions aren't right and they do want you to put your location there anyway.

gundalf

Pretty sure the written text says "Line instructions notwithstanding, substitute word "business" for "corporation"".

I think what they are saying is, ignore what the instructions say, and fill out line 9b anyway, ignore the fact that it says corporation and just imagine it says "business" instead and do it. Sounds like they are saying the instructions aren't right and they do want you to put your location there anyway.

Thank you! I was already guessing in this direction but i wasn't sure about it.
I will report back when i get my results :)

Nibel

cqxx4yulktduyhui3.png

Hm, is something like that required for selling on Steam from Germany as well? I should start to inform myself about these things, ugh..

Five

Banned
I was playing that game demo thing P.T. last night and it got me wondering: are there any good haunted house/horror games using procedural generation right now?

I'm too busy with the main project to actually work on this, but I can't deny that it got my mind running.

Boo.png

JulianImp

So... these finally arrived in the mail yesterday. Woo!
BvCqqHWIYAAP-16.jpg:large

(disclaimer: tablet not included)

I've been quite busy for the last month and a half with all the preparations for TGS... I never realized they'd suck so much time from the game's development! Right now, I'm trying to make sure the TGS has received the expositor fee I transfered to them a few days ago, since it's something I have to sort out before I can go out and buy the plane tickets and make my Sakura House room reservation. All this is also making me really anxious, so hopefully things get sorted out soon so I can go back to working on the game proper.

Can you not just download Xcode with the iOS 7 SDK and tinker around with the iOS simulator? I don't have experience with iOS development, but from my short search it looks like that is freely available. I could be mistaken though.

Limiting yourself to only iPad with iOS 8 with Swift seems like a lot of stipulations for just starting out.

Swift has, and will have for a while, all of the downsides that a new, beta language brings with it. If you want more in depth analysis look up The Nerdery podcast recently on Swift.

You can't compile Swift in XCode 5, and you can't download XCode 6 Beta 5 without a license.

Honestly Swift is kind of poop for game development at the moment. Scene kit is missing a ton of functionality that it has in Obj-C.

I'm not sure I would ever develop a game in either of Apple's native languages to be honest.

I was playing that game demo thing P.T. last night and it got me wondering: are there any good haunted house/horror games using procedural generation right now?

I'm too busy with the main project to actually work on this, but I can't deny that it got my mind running.

I don't know if it was good, but didn't Zombie Studios make such a game?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
You can't compile Swift in XCode 5, and you can't download XCode 6 Beta 5 without a license.

Honestly Swift is kind of poop for game development at the moment. Scene kit is missing a ton of functionality that it has in Obj-C.

I'm not sure I would ever develop a game in either of Apple's native languages to be honest.

The idea of my post was to avoid Swift and that if he wanted to tinker with iOS development he should just start in Obj-C with the iOS simulator.

Thanks for confirming the XCode compatibility though.

[/QUOTE]

Heck no! that's not too big! Bring on the titan! I'm very interested in a giant 2D titan. The bigger, the better. Giants are awesome. Collosi are awesome. Titans are awesome. Especially climbable ones.

If the character is the same size as the giant's eye, you're on the right track. I look forward to seeing how this concept looks in game.

note: This coming from someone who loves the terror of giants roaming the land

Bollocks

I'm in a chicken egg kinda scenario.
I just can't decide on a name for my game and thus can't set up a dev blog but I do want to blog about it but only after I know the name of the game.

Doesn't help that all the names I come up with already exists as a domain.

Paz

Not really. You can see the (Sprite Z-Test off) building sprites at bizarre angles shining through the geometry. I could kill all sprites and give all textures a flat look, I guess, but there's no camera control code or anything like that, plus a lot of the environment doesn't have 3-D geometry anyway...

...just thought it was a cool lookin' shot. = D

Very cool looking shot :)

And I think it's a good idea to focus on what makes your game great / what you can do to improve that rather than adding random stuff that would be heaps of work, but damn if it isn't fun to mess around from time to time :p We have some Cactus things planned that I hope surprise folks.

amanset

cqxx4yulktduyhui3.png

Can't you just call them? I did that a few years ago when I needed one (even though it took mer about another three years to get anything to go on the store - and even that was free so didn't need the EIN) and had a chat with a very bored sounding man somewhere in, IIRC, Pennsylvania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom