• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

razu

PThMM2Y.gif

Love it :D

JulianImp

One thing's for sure, more games should have blood type settings.
Still, what does it even do, feep? I need to know!

I've also finally sorted out some things regarding my payment to attend the TGS, so it'll hopefully go through this time around. Once that's done, I'll have become and official exhibitor!

All this work on paperwork, travel budgets and whatnot has nearly halted my progress on the game's code, though, so I'll have to make up for that soon if we intend to have a nice-looking demo for TGS.

One of my top priorities currently, code-wise, optimizing the level generation algorithm so that it pre-caches stuff rather than generating it procedurally every single time you load a level (which takes way too long on weaker Android devices). Once that's done, I'll move on to coding some fun new game objects for the level designer to use, since the game is in dire need of more stuff for players to interact with.

mcteapot

Neo Member
Seems like it should
make getting medpacks or something
more difficult or
give less health
if you select a rare bloodtype

It will probably have effects on the story,
your blood type will determine what sort of direction the story will take, action comedy, romcom, or horror story.

Awesome. (By which I mean: Fuck!)
DFGUI seems to have been pulled off the Unity Asset store, and v2 seems to have disappeared into thin air.

Well, crap. That was going to be my GUI. All I have now is some crappy old version (as I didn't update it) and I can't access it on my download manager.

Anyone know what Unity's Refund policy is for BS like this? I'd rather get my money back than support horrible business practices like these.

EDIT: It looks like you can still get the latest from the Resources section in their forum... but only if you've bought it previously. This seems like (to me) as a sign of them dropping the product, which is disgraceful as they continually said "it'll get better!" and encouraged people to buy it with the future in mind ("it's only going to be this cheap for a little longer!"). Absolutely 100% shady and unprofessional.

Turfster

This seems like (to me) as a sign of them dropping the product, which is disgraceful as they continually said "it'll get better!" and encouraged people to buy it with the future in mind ("it's only going to be this cheap for a little longer!"). Absolutely 100% shady and unprofessional.

Yup, especially with all the bugs and stuff you basically have to fix yourself to get it working like it should.

missile

Awesome. (By which I mean: Fuck!)
DFGUI seems to have been pulled off the Unity Asset store, and v2 seems to have disappeared into thin air.
And I thought doing my own GUI is a waste of time. ;)

Well, not much work done on my custom GUI, recently. However, if I'm not that
stupid my GUI may also run on PS3 in a few weeks time. :+ On a technical side
I did some more ground work for the RSA tool. Currently, I study some well
known 1d filter formulas from a frequency (eigen-function) perspective getting
to know their weaknesses much better to be able to improve/adapt them for an
intended task being part of the Retro Engine. Etc. Business as usual...

JulianImp

Every min-maxing tapletop RPG nerd knows, always take AB+ as your bloodtype.
Universal recipient.

Yeah. Given the choice, taking anything but AB+ would be a handicap for the player.

However, that got me thinking about a game where your blood type is chosen at random from the start (so no suiciding just to get a better blood type), and you can only take blood from compatible types, whether it's for healing (blood transfusions) or more fantastic uses, such as vampires that can't feed on incompatible types or get less mileage out of them.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah. Given the choice, taking anything but AB+ would be a handicap for the player.

However, that got me thinking about a game where your blood type is chosen at random from the start (so no suiciding just to get a better blood type), and you can only take blood from compatible types, whether it's for healing (blood transfusions) or more fantastic uses, such as vampires that can't feed on incompatible types or get less mileage out of them.
If it's chosen at random at the start, just reroll for a new character! Evil games trying to force me into a specific destiny, psh.

anthn

For Turnover , I've been trying to go through and improve some sprites here and there. Here's a PC console I recently remade. Left is before, right is after.

iUgc2zg.png

I still feel like a complete beginner at making sprites, but I think it looks better.

Blizzard

Banned
For Turnover , I've been trying to go through and improve some sprites here and there. Here's a PC console I recently remade. Left is before, right is after.

iUgc2zg.png

I still feel like a complete beginner at making sprites, but I think it looks better.
That's exactly the sort of sprite I have been trying to learn to make. I too am an eternal beginner, especially since I stopped working on it every day. D:

I tried again the walk cycle animation with more inspiration from the movie. Not satisfied at all with the result at the moment. I'll see once I added the arm correctly. It's suppose to be rolling heavily, that may help balance the whole thing. But to bed now.

013dL1C.gif

Kickstarter and demo for GunWorld launch tomorrow. Help me IndieGAF, I'm getting really nervous!

You guys are my friends right, you'll lie and tell me it's super rad...right?

Blizzard

Banned
Just updated my guide of sorts on fixing up some Visual Studio 2013 stuff.

I added some things that I discovered as I tried to use it today. Pretty useable now, and certain things definitely feel snappier than 2010. Still kind of hate the UI, though.
I got used to the UI, and I still hate stuff like the Office 2007 ribbon, so I don't think it's purely me becoming accustomed.

How do you like the improved autocomplete, if you've tried stuff like words in the middle of variable names?

I got used to the UI, and I still hate stuff like the Office 2007 ribbon, so I don't think it's purely me becoming accustomed.

How do you like the improved autocomplete, if you've tried stuff like words in the middle of variable names?

It generally feels pretty good. I haven't really used it enough to say with 100% certainty, but I do like most of the iterations they've made on the editor itself. It's mainly the dumb "Microsoftisms" that I dislike, like the UI, Notifications, hiding certain options, etc. Thankfully most of it is fixable so you can focus on the stuff they have improved.

Moosichu

I never developed a game but watching The Raid 2 made me want to play the characters in a fighting game. Since I never did sprites I started by doing some NES style sprite because I like working with constraints and it's a way to move forward.
After two hours, I only managed to make Bat Man stance with two frames. It's gonna be very long. :')

X3P7ldJ.gif

Any advice, critic or observation is welcomed. Better see now what is wrong instead of later.

Gamemaker applies a blur filter by default when you scale, but you can turn it off. So do the pixel art 1:1.

That's exactly the sort of sprite I have been trying to learn to make. I too am an eternal beginner, especially since I stopped working on it every day. D:

Most spritework makes a mockery of real-life perspective in favour of visual clarity, so ironically you're better off playing games than trying to accurately portray perspective to get a feel for it.

photo12.jpg

Nintendo showing what hax they had to do to make a 3D zelda look like LTTP.

Hey IndieGAF. This day has been coming for a while and I've loved talking about and showing our progress on GunWorld via these forums. I wasn't sure if it was frowned upon to share things like this, but I've seen other members do it and not get hassled so here goes!

GunWorld's Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight pages just launched! You can go to the Kickstarter page to download a playable demo (it's pre-alpha, so set your expectations accordingly).

Here is the trailer on YouTube.
sprites.png

We really can use all the help we can get, so any Greenlight votes or shares of either pages are super appreciated. I'd also love any early feedback from any of you that decide to try out the demo. We'll be updating the demo with bug-fixes and new features throughout our Kickstarter campaign.

Thanks for the kind words and the fun times sharing GAF, hope you enjoy GunWorld!

orioto

Good Art™
Hey guys, so, i'm pretty much desperate at this point, i'l post here who knows.

I'm really looking for partners, not tons of them, on solid motivated partner who would like to work on some project with me. It's not about making promises or anything, but finding someone who actually likes what i do and believes in me enough to invest in a common project. All i can promise is that it won't stay unnoticed. At least you can expect that from me. I'm full of ideas and i know how to give some sort of artistic efficiently to something. At least i proved that i hope, that's the only thing i could prove for now.

Right now i want to develop a simple 2D game for the Oculus that would be super impressive and use the rift strength as much for gameplay as for the visuals. But yeah i'm always full of projects and ambitions and i can do nothing with them. That's honestly killing me at this point. I need to do things i need to go the the next step..

Gaf is really not the best place to be cocky or over confident but i'm selling myself there. If you got the technical skills and want the little push and ideas that will make some small project noticed, i can be a nice option, really.

I'm really looking for somoene who i would have a nice connection with and everything we would benefit to both.

It's like i'm on a dating site now lol.. Anyway! It's a bottle thrown into the ocean!

Hey IndieGAF. This day has been coming for a while and I've loved talking about and showing our progress on GunWorld via these forums. I wasn't sure if it was frowned upon to share things like this, but I've seen other members do it and not get hassled so here goes!

GunWorld's Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight pages just launched! You can go to the Kickstarter page to download a playable demo (it's pre-alpha, so set your expectations accordingly).

Here is the trailer on YouTube.
sprites.png

We really can use all the help we can get, so any Greenlight votes or shares of either pages are super appreciated. I'd also love any early feedback from any of you that decide to try out the demo. We'll be updating the demo with bug-fixes and new features throughout our Kickstarter campaign.

Thanks for the kind words and the fun times sharing GAF, hope you enjoy GunWorld!

Backed and shared. Someone needs to make a thread about this if one hasn't. Would be a shame for it not to happen. Game feels great to play. I am just a junior so I am not worth jack shit.

Backed and shared. Someone needs to make a thread about this if one hasn't. Would be a shame for it not to happen. Game feels great to play. I am just a junior so I am not worth jack shit.

Appreciate it! For the record, a failed Kickstarter won't stop GunWorld. The game will continue with cut content and a reduced scope. Obviously we don't want that to happen.

Ultimatum

Banned
Hey guys, so, i'm pretty much desperate at this point, i'l post here who knows.

I'm really looking for partners, not tons of them, on solid motivated partner who would like to work on some project with me. It's not about making promises or anything, but finding someone who actually likes what i do and believes in me enough to invest in a common project. All i can promise is that it won't stay unnoticed. At least you can expect that from me. I'm full of ideas and i know how to give some sort of artistic efficiently to something. At least i proved that i hope, that's the only thing i could prove for now.

Right now i want to develop a simple 2D game for the Oculus that would be super impressive and use the rift strength as much for gameplay as for the visuals. But yeah i'm always full of projects and ambitions and i can do nothing with them. That's honestly killing me at this point. I need to do things i need to go the the next step..

Gaf is really not the best place to be cocky or over confident but i'm selling myself there. If you got the technical skills and want the little push and ideas that will make some small project noticed, i can be a nice option, really.

I'm really looking for somoene who i would have a nice connection with and everything we would benefit to both.

It's like i'm on a dating site now lol.. Anyway! It's a bottle thrown into the ocean!

I absolutely love your work dude, I wish I was at a point in life where I could work with you. Good luck finding a partner/team, keep us updated if/when this happens, would be great to see your work in a game.

orioto

Good Art™
I absolutely love your work dude, I wish I was at a point in life where I could work with you. Good luck finding a partner/team, keep us updated if/when this happens, would be great to see your work in a game.

Thx for the kind words :p Hopfully if i can do something i'll post there obviously! But i'm not too optimistic.

Some random guy is streaming the GunWorld demo right now. This is a really crazy experience. He already found a bug I wasn't aware of.

Twitch.tv/battlereaver

Ashodin

OH MAN I figured out the slowdown issues with psyscrolr, holy shieeeeeeeet

And it probably will extend back to Apexicon as well, wow!

Wii U FTW

Great to see the Screenshot Saturday thread going strong after almost a month. Thank you, all the devs who've been posting there. Keep up the good work

Great to see the Screenshot Saturday thread going strong after almost a month. Thank you, all the devs who've been posting there. Keep up the good work

It's on my calender as a reminder to make sure I post in there every week. I love it.

I've been watching this guy stream my GunWorld demo for like, four hours. It's intoxicating to see someone completely separate from the development play the game. He still hasn't managed to complete the 2 level demo. Watching him has also taught me just how OP a certain weapon is. External playtests like this are crazy vital.

cbox

Self teaching myself blender for our next game, testing out a model after I sketched it. Not bad! The legs look messed from this angle, hmm.

IDqihoj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom