• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
Self teaching myself blender for our next game, testing out a model after I sketched it. Not bad! The legs look messed from this angle, hmm.

IDqihoj.jpg

Is that low sampling rate ray tracing, or just a noise filter?

Blizzard

Banned
Is that low sampling rate ray tracing, or just a noise filter?
It looks exactly like low sample rate ray tracing looks in Blender, so that's my guess.

What tutorials/resources are you using to learn?
The IRC channel on Freenode is one of my favorite places to ask small questions after you've already started looking up tutorials and such. The people are really helpful and nice in my limited experience.

Self teaching myself blender for our next game, testing out a model after I sketched it. Not bad! The legs look messed from this angle, hmm.

Looking good! I eventually want to play around in Blender/3D. I think a low poly game would be extremely fun to create.

h3rKN5P.png

Started drawing up some character concepts for a new game project I hope to pursue in the coming months. I want to step away from pixel art (at least for my own project) and go in a vector-looking direction, similar to Guacamelee. Any recommendations for apllications for animating characters like these? I know Drinkbox used Flash for their animations - never used it, but I'm totally down to learn it.

I drew these characters in Illustrator, which has no animation tools. I considered creating the frames in Illustrator and then animating in Photoshop, but that workflow seems rather flawed as there wouldn't be any simple way of previewing the animations as I'm working on them.

OldRoutes

Looking good! I eventually want to play around in Blender/3D. I think a low poly game would be extremely fun to create.

h3rKN5P.png

Started drawing up some character concepts for a new game project I hope to pursue in the coming months. I want to step away from pixel art (at least for my own project) and go in a vector-looking direction, similar to Guacamelee. Any recommendations for apllications for animating characters like these? I know Drinkbox used Flash for their animations - never used it, but I'm totally down to learn it.

I drew these characters in Illustrator, which has no animation tools. I considered creating the frames in Illustrator and then animating in Photoshop, but that workflow seems rather flawed as there wouldn't be any simple way of previewing the animations as I'm working on them.

Amazing job on this art!

Five

Banned

h3rKN5P.png

I really love how this looks. I'm using Spine for my animations. It's a bit tricky to figure out where the articulations should be when drawing the characters, but actually animating and implementing in a game engine is super easy.

Drinkbox used their own converter to take Flash art and convert it to polygons (not sure if real-time or precomputed on load, but the shields that some characters have suggests real-time). Outside of using something like that, you're looking at huge texture pages for all of the animation frames. Using Spine, I get texture pages about a meg or two and a smaller json file per each character.

But look around and see what works for you. With art like that, whatever it takes to get it going gets my support! :)

cbox

It looks exactly like low sample rate ray tracing looks in Blender, so that's my guess.

The IRC channel on Freenode is one of my favorite places to ask small questions after you've already started looking up tutorials and such. The people are really helpful and nice in my limited experience.

Correct! It's blender's cycles renderer on a 10 pass render.

bkw

h3rKN5P.png

This is looking good! If you have access to Flash, and have a decent pipeline to go from Flash to whatever engine you're using, I'd recommend learning it. It's awesome to have everything in one program.

amanset

Buying that was my biggest regret. Thought it was a pretty crappy GUI system anyway.

Yep.

Adding it to my mobile project just messed it all up. Updates from within coroutines crashed on the device but not in the editor. Just by adding it to the project and enabling it all my touch stopped working.

Now I am just trying to work out how to remove it from a project. Is it just a case of deleting the files and restarting the editor?

Wow, love the art style!

Amazing job on this art!

Thank you!

I really love how this looks. I'm using Spine for my animations. It's a bit tricky to figure out where the articulations should be when drawing the characters, but actually animating and implementing in a game engine is super easy.

Drinkbox used their own converter to take Flash art and convert it to polygons (not sure if real-time or precomputed on load, but the shields that some characters have suggests real-time). Outside of using something like that, you're looking at huge texture pages for all of the animation frames. Using Spine, I get texture pages about a meg or two and a smaller json file per each character.

But look around and see what works for you. With art like that, whatever it takes to get it going gets my support! :)

Thanks for the information, this helps!

This is looking good! If you have access to Flash, and have a decent pipeline to go from Flash to whatever engine you're using, I'd recommend learning it. It's awesome to have everything in one program.

Just installed Flash yesterday and started watching some videos. I think this is the route I'll try for now. The main thing I need is a great pen tool and animation tools - and Flash seems to have both. Time to experiment and see what happens!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Yep.

Adding it to my mobile project just messed it all up. Updates from within coroutines crashed on the device but not in the editor. Just by adding it to the project and enabling it all my touch stopped working.

Now I am just trying to work out how to remove it from a project. Is it just a case of deleting the files and restarting the editor?

Yeah should be able to just delete it

Kinthalis

Banned
The most frustrating aspect of game development for me so far has been that I'm a good programmer (no surprise as that's my day job), but I have zero artistic ability. Looking at some of the 2d and 3d artwork from some fo you guys in this thread bums me out ;)

I've created 2d and 3D engines from scratch in C++, C#, Javascript, I've dabbled with working on the logic/scripting side of Unity and Unreal 4. But my games are composed of dots or lines or jpg's I find on google search :(

I don't think I'll ever get somewhere without a team.

Kinthalis

Banned

h3rKN5P.png

I mean, look at this. This is soooo cool.

Hey Pasta_Soup, I'll trade you programming skillz for art skillz! I know someone who cna make it happen (just need to do some harmless animal sacrifices).

The most frustrating aspect of game development for me so far has been that I'm a good programmer (no surprise as that's my day job), but I have zero artistic ability. Looking at some of the 2d and 3d artwork from some fo you guys in this thread bums me out ;)

I've created 2d and 3D engines from scratch in C++, C#, Javascript, I've dabbled with working on the logic/scripting side of Unity and Unreal 4. But my games are composed of dots or lines or jpg's I find on google search :(

I don't think I'll ever get somewhere without a team.
If you have twitter might try #indieteamup ;)

daedalius

Is photoshop pretty much fine for putting together, lets say, character walk/attack/spell cast animations?

Going to try and do some visual ID prep work.

Also, is it generally a practice to split the legs and torso of characters in a 2d sidescroller for animation purposes?

Is photoshop pretty much fine for putting together, lets say, character walk/attack/spell cast animations?

Going to try and do some visual ID prep work.

Also, is it generally a practice to split the legs and torso of characters in a 2d sidescroller for animation purposes?

yes and yes :) I'm doing everything in photoshop myself

My lead programmer just had a baby! Unfortunately there are complications so STRAFE is on temp for a little bit. Giving him the time he needs with family.

I am taking this time to make a side project I've wanted to tackle: a SHMUP! In the same style as Gradius, R-Type, etc. I've already set up a super simple 2D physics controller and basic ship controls, weapons system, power up system, etc. Need to think about the art style. I wanted to do a similar style to STRAFE but simplify it even further. Not a serious project but something with a dozen or so levels and a few bosses.

Should I go super minimalist with this one? I like playing with particles, doe.

My lead programmer just had a baby! Unfortunately there are complications so STRAFE is on temp for a little bit. Giving him the time he needs with family.

I am taking this time to make a side project I've wanted to tackle: a SHMUP! In the same style as Gradius, R-Type, etc. I've already set up a super simple 2D physics controller and basic ship controls, weapons system, power up system, etc. Need to think about the art style. I wanted to do a similar style to STRAFE but simplify it even further. Not a serious project but something with a dozen or so levels and a few bosses.

Should I go super minimalist with this one? I like playing with particles, doe.

Congratulations to them!

Minimalist is always fun and challenging in its own right. I love playing with minimal options.

Congratulations to them!

Minimalist is always fun and challenging in its own right. I love playing with minimal options.
Thanks and agree. Limiting usable pixel real estate is difficult. But this allows me to go nuts with a billion things on screen, weapons, EXPLOOOOOOOOSIOOOOONS, etc. without getting bogged down with individual object detail. Fun times. After seeing a few other SHMUPS in this thread I got all giddy :D

Turfster

Lots of really awesome features and bug fixes included though!

True, but I still can't update, since 4.5 broke DF-GUI and there was no fix, last I heard... and with them just fucking everyone over and dropping it off the asset store, I'm stuck on an older version until I can just say fuck it and move everything over to the new GUI.
Apparently, there was a falling out or something, and it's "no longer financially viable", but they'll do a final update? 2.0 is definitely dead tho.

Blizzard

Banned
True, but I still can't update, since 4.5 broke DF-GUI and there was no fix, last I heard... and with them just fucking everyone over and dropping it off the asset store, I'm stuck on an older version until I can just say fuck it and move everything over to the new GUI.
Apparently, there was a falling out or something, and it's "no longer financially viable", but they'll do a final update? 2.0 is definitely dead tho.
That basically sounds like the author would have to work alone for hardly any money in order to keep maintaining it, and it also sounds (to me) like some sort of official GUI support is incoming "very soon".

TheExodu5

Banned
I want to dabble in iOS development. The problem is I'm really not ready to create anything and just want to familiarize myself with Xcode and IOS development in general. I intend on using Swift, unless there are some big downsides, as it seems like a far more intuitive language.

My background is in Java business solutions, so this is going to be quite a departure from that.

Do I need to enrol in the iOS developer program or can I access all of the resources I need without it for the time being? Besides that, any advice on how best to approach this? Should I be looking at middleware? One slight caveat is that I'm likely going to be looking at making something reflex based which will require low input lag, so I don't want bad middleware to get in the way of that.

I want to dabble in iOS development. The problem is I'm really not ready to create anything and just want to familiarize myself with Xcode and IOS development in general. I intend on using Swift, unless there are some big downsides, as it seems like a far more intuitive language.

My background is in Java business solutions, so this is going to be quite a departure from that.

Do I need to enrol in the iOS developer program or can I access all of the resources I need without it for the time being? Besides that, any advice on how best to approach this? Should I be looking at middleware? One slight caveat is that I'm likely going to be looking at making something reflex based which will require low input lag, so I don't want bad middleware to get in the way of that.

You can develop for iOS without needing to be in the developer program, you just can't publish.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Why wouldn't you be able to test?

You just won't be able to publish to the App Store without a $100 developer license.

As far as best approach, look for some tutorials, or just grab Xcode and the Swift documentation and start pounding keys.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why wouldn't you be able to test?

You just won't be able to publish to the App Store without a $100 developer license.

As far as best approach, look for some tutorials, or just grab Xcode and the Swift documentation and start pounding keys.

From what people said you can't push builds to the iPad without a developer license, unless that's incorrect.

In any case, Apple won't let me download iOS 8 beta without a license so I definitely can't test Swift apps.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
From what people said you can't push builds to the iPad without a developer license, unless that's incorrect.

In any case, Apple won't let me download iOS 8 beta without a license so I definitely can't test Swift apps.

Can you not just download Xcode with the iOS 7 SDK and tinker around with the iOS simulator? I don't have experience with iOS development, but from my short search it looks like that is freely available. I could be mistaken though.

Limiting yourself to only iPad with iOS 8 with Swift seems like a lot of stipulations for just starting out.

Swift has, and will have for a while, all of the downsides that a new, beta language brings with it. If you want more in depth analysis look up The Nerdery podcast recently on Swift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom