• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

asa

finally put up the new ghost song gameplay video. I've been planning to do this precise video for a while, but I kinda put it off because of a few relatively small things that were holding everything up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z--HxpK_-4&list=UUaBsGH6hhWw4q_OOI6D9p_g

let me know what you think or if you have any questions. notable new things shown here since the last video -- new camera (which can also now be easily influenced with the right analog stick), map system, and some other new things too.

Shared, looks better every time I see it, Most interesting aspect is definitely the atmosphere.

Only criticism off the bat are those blobs that you gain from your "drones", they seem bit out of place and that easing animation before they are absorbed is bit distracting especially if theres lot of them in the air at the same time. Maybe replace it with something more simplistic/smaller?

Jobbs

Banned
As somebody who is also make indie game inspired by metroid your game is absolutely stunning and has changed into huge inspiration for me.

Keep up to good work.

this was very nice to hear, thank you . :)

Shared, looks better every time I see it, Most interesting aspect is definitely the atmosphere.

Only criticism off the bat are those blobs that you gain from your "drones", they seem bit out of place and that easing animation before they are absorbed is bit distracting especially if theres lot of them in the air at the same time. Maybe replace it with something more simplistic/smaller?

thanks -- re. the blobs, no blob is beyond criticism. I'll try making them smaller and see how it looks.

Feep

Banned
Congratulations that's huge news :D I am very eager to experience this feeling for myself :)

Oh and great handling of Light's question on the KS, handled things a lot nicer than what went through my head.
Heh. I've learned a few PR lessons. = D

Thanks!

Jobbs

Banned
Heh. I've learned a few PR lessons. = D

I haven't. Let's do this.

screen-shot-2011-02-20-at-3-49-35-pm.png

desu

Oh and great handling of Light's question on the KS, handled things a lot nicer than what went through my head.

Yep, have to say Light's post felt pretty offensive, almost trollish to me. So yeah good handling of the situation.

desu

UNITY 4.6 BETA YEEEEEEEESSSSSS

Hopefully there's a summary later on, I don't have the time to watch it right now.

I suppose the most important thing is, they have just build an internal beta for 5.0. They expect to make an public beta for people who have preordered within the next 4-8 weeks.

Can anyone recommend a 3d game engine book or a site? I'm not looking at using an off the shelf 3d engine such as cry engine, unreal, unity etc.

I know the basics already such as matrices, transformation, lighting, gouraud shading, back face culling, painter's algorithm (l know it's garbage lol but familiar with z-buffer). I experienced this back at Uni (some time ago l should add) and also played around with Open GL in C++.

What l want to learn
Imagine i've got a 3d maze with some basic cube objects. What l want to do is learn how traverse through the scene with basic collision detection for the maze and the cubes...

If l have this knowledge then l can really starting playing around with some ideas using the Oculus Rift R2 kit i've purchased recently.. I'm not looking at anything fancier than this.

Have you seen the "game programming gems" books? Not sure if they make them anymore though but I think the Nvidia site has some for free online now at least.

I'm using C++/DirectX myself atm ...

daedalius

Can they be used with other engines?

I believe there is a different pack that will be released soon that can be used with other engines. You might speed it along if you were to ask in the product announcement thread!

I mean, they are just png files. I'm not really sure how they would interact with other programs.

Apparently "Connected Worlds" was the big winner on day 1, which I think is a bit cliche for the whole flipping-between-worlds mechanic, but I imagine some people will do some creative things if it wins.

I wasn't too keen on that theme at first, but then I thought about what I would with it if it won (since that now seems likely) and came up with an idea I'm very happy with, so now I'm kinda hoping it does win. :)

UNITY 4.6 BETA YEEEEEEEESSSSSS

Oh, awesome! Just in time for LD too, this is perfect.

Blizzard

Banned
I wasn't too keen on that theme at first, but then I thought about what I would with it if it won (since that now seems likely) and came up with an idea I'm very happy with, so now I'm kinda hoping it does win. :)

Yes there will be some creative ideas (like Ben Eath the Surf Ace last time), but to quote something that was quoted on the Ludum Dare site:

"DON’T make a platform game where the gimmick is you can shift between two overlapping worlds. If you think you’ve had an idea, and that idea is that in your platform game you can shift between two overlapping worlds, then you haven’t had an idea at all. This is a bit like waking up one day and declaring that you’ve had the idea to put foodstuffs between two slices of bread. That’s someone else’s idea. That’s the 4th Earl Of Sandwich’s idea, and he’s going to beat you up. Coincidentally, he was also the first person to think of a platform game where you shift between two overlapping worlds, and he died in 1771."

To put it another way, I'd probably rather have a theme that lends itself to new stuff than a theme that lends itself to a sea of similar platformers with the occasional new thing.

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of layers, you people may find this interesting: Composition In Level Design

Enjoy!
Neat link, thanks!

The final round of Ludum Dare voting is up. It includes at least a couple of themes I wouldn't mind.

Alchemy
Another World
Break The Rules
Chaos
Choose A Path
Connected Worlds
Day and Night
Destroy The System
Don't Stop Moving
Do No Harm
Fortress
Growing
Isolation
Lost In Space
No One Can See You
Randomly Generated
Strength In Numbers
You're Not Supposed To Be Here
You Are Already Dead
You Must Leave It Behind

Lautaro

I believe there is a different pack that will be released soon that can be used with other engines. You might speed it along if you were to ask in the product announcement thread!

I mean, they are just png files. I'm not really sure how they would interact with other programs.

I ask in case of licensing issues not technical ones.

Paz

Tim just made a rad comparison picture showing the escalation of our bosses and their size relative to the player character

BvhpfVLCEAAPT1E.jpg:large

Bvhs6NzCcAAHy9X.jpg:large

Really liking this :D

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Really happy that 4.6 has been released
even if it's beta currently.
Excited to dive into it this weekend to get a UI set up for my game.

Have any of you had success yet with the new UI workflow? I know it's only been a day, but I'm antsy to see cool UI's!

Paz

Whoa, that looks pretty awesome. Is the camera going to pull way back at some point to see the whole thing? Always love seeing progress on your game. Loving the style / art style.

There's a trick to the boss fight that makes the size more manageable and the boss more visible, but we're not showing that quite yet :) Want it to be sort of a surprise when you fight him.

JulianImp

Tim just made a rad comparison picture showing the escalation of our bosses and their size relative to the player character

BvhpfVLCEAAPT1E.jpg:large

Bvhs6NzCcAAHy9X.jpg:large

Really liking this :D

Since my cousin moved to my city for his PhD about two weeks ago, I took the opportunity to play some more two-player Assault Android Cactus now that several updates were out (last time I played was right after the purple android was released). The game's looking even better than before!

I like how we've managed to run out of batteries several times through both normal and boss levels, since it often felt like not getting to the next battery was something we could work on to fix for our next try. The other times, we were praying to the RNG gods that they'd spawn a battery in time and would rush to get it regardless of having to run into enemies. Also, Justice was a pain to figure out at first.

A tragically comic thing happened when we realized the speed power-up would often result in the battery failing to touch you and orbiting your character unless you actively tried to collide against it, and we died once to that behavior. It was more fun than frustrating, though, so I don't think it's that much of a bad feature if that's what was intended by design.

We still can't get used to switching to the androids' special weapons more often, unless I happen to be playing the shotgun-carrying one (that bullet deflecting shield has been a lifesaver way too many times!).

I only realized each android had her own voice after this play session, which was a really nice touch (also, Starch definitely reminds me of Gir, and that can only be a good thing), and we also checked out the endless and boss rush modes (Boss Rush had us die right before Justice, though).

I'm looking forward to taking on that huge-ass spider! I'm really grateful that it's arRobo-spider, since I can stand those, but realistic ones... not so much.

daedalius

cbox

Is deleting and relaunching your greenlight frowned upon or even allowed on steam? Reason being, we've been on it since the beginning, but because our game wasn't fully thought out ( and before the concept section came out ) I feel we missed some opportunities to get the most eyes. Thoughts?

Ito

I posted an earlier version of this some months ago. I added more clouds, a river, some animals (needs more fauna tho), shadows, etc. I'll be adding more things to this.

(Warning, full HD screenshot)

lcwwEuh.jpg

I'm really exausted today... working in a game almost all by yourself is extremely gruelling. Cheer me up, GAF :(

Ps.- Nah, hit me with your worst, that's what really helps to get better!

@daedalius: You are an amazing artist. Wish I could draw half as well as you do!

@Paz: That's an impressive set of bosses! That big yellow spider looks really threatening!

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I knocked out some pretty important stuff so far today. I fixed enemy collision so that enemies would stop standing inside of each other as well as corrected the wall collision I've had in place for a while. No more enemies or players getting stuck on walls!

Along with recent improvements like a reflexive avoidance maneuver and updating all player graphics. Finally properly implemented spritesheets for all player movements, implementing spritesheets for enemies will come when I finally get around to it. Champion Summons is coming along pretty well I think. I'm not quite rdy to showcase in another video yet, but here's some gifs!

Facing walk comparison old and new:

rHmRuD9.gif
xTX25O3.gif

Right walk comparison old and new:
ZEMhSNx.gif
Z4PUlne.gif

And one final unchanged gif for fun because everyone loved it so much :)

D5sbi6q.gif

BONUS MATERIAL
This is what my knight looked like 6 months ago
XUuKJEv.gif

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I made a game prototype where you control robots via twitch chat. They are hooked up to wifi so they are streaming video as you control them.

There are two robots, aylobot is live the most often:
http://www.twitch.tv/aylobot

Ninabot is more advanced, but up less coz i use it to test features:
http://www.twitch.tv/ninabot

How would this translate into a game? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like just another take on the twitch plays pokemon idea.

I posted an earlier version of this some months ago. I added more clouds, a river, some animals (needs more fauna tho), shadows, etc. I'll be adding more things to this.

lcwwEuh.jpg
I absolutely love it. I wish I had the skill to do things like that.

I'm still a ways away from putting together a more public presence for one of the projects I've been working on recently, but I thought I could share some of the things I put together earlier in its development. Sorry for the images being on the smaller side.
It's a quest-driven gunslinging adventure set in an Old West-style fictional universe, built in Unity.

9NGA6Ae.gif

This is an early test of accessible buildings and breakable glass using a character model made up of boxes (also seen above).
H58d6gr.gif

Another test of roughly the same scene, where I started working more on improving the lighting and colour profile during night time.
4GXzM5F.gif

This is the current state of one of the character models I've been working on recently.
CnruABW.png

Beacon is looking so great. If you can make the change to 3D and still get the aesthetic you want, I think in the end it would alleviate more workflow issues than it creates.

I love this so much...I've always wanted a spaghetti western quest driven game...mixed with a little bit of fallout/red dead mmm mm mm can't wait to see more love the art style

Jobbs

Banned

lcwwEuh.jpg

I'm really exausted today... working in a game almost all by yourself is extremely gruelling. Cheer me up, GAF :(

What's going on here in this screenshot? Is this just a regular level BG? How many layers is this? It almost looks like it has 3D elements. What's the context of this screenshot?

And working on a game alone is EASY stop complaining! :)

anyone have some good links/advice for stuff on PR things?

I just started work on a title today that, depending on how I feel it is going, might be something I want to kickstart (if wise) at some point.

Also, started out GameMaker's .Swf file importing for sprites and it already helps make the game look way better.

Jobbs

Banned
anyone have some good links/advice for stuff on PR things?

I just started work on a title today that, depending on how I feel it is going, might be something I want to kickstart (if wise) at some point.

Also, started out GameMaker's .Swf file importing for sprites and it already helps make the game look way better.

PR advice: never say anything controversial, and be nice to everyone, except in special cases, like when Feep kicked those dudes' asses in the "No way a Skullgirls character should cost that much to develop" thread.

Kickstarter advice: Have an attractive gameplay prototype and start the video with it. In most cases, don't try to use your hilarious or charming personality to sell the project. Humor has a good chance of going wrong and hurting more than it helps when it comes to asking people for money, so I recommend not trying it.

Take it seriously, have an identity, have an angle, and show something nice. Identify what it is that a certain audience is longing for, and describe your game in a way that appeals to them and stimulates their imagination.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

I know it's nothing huge ... but I've completely redone my welder textures ... this time using quixel's dDo2 - what an awesome piece of software :) so - what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom