• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaffa

Thanks :) I think I saw your profile and the game, Horizon Danger I think? I recognize the art in your avatar! The aesthetics reminded me of Capybara style visuals.

We have 6 people working on the game as the core team right now. The only person we're likely going to bring on board is a dedicated animator!

Anyhoo, here's the my blog entry for today as promised!

http://devblog.monothetic.com/post/99715599690/curated-chaos

Yeah that's me :) And yeah that is certainly a good comparison. Drew some inspiration from their games in the beginning. Never really touched pixel art that much and always found the style very awesome.

Uploaded a new video from Horizon Danger today which showcases the stage called Haven in a 1vs1 deatchmatch game. You can watch it right here

xqTxwFU.gif

Thank you, I really liked the inside insight into the development and it felt much more in-depth than most of the development blogs that I read.

Glad you liked it :)

I go by my actual name on Twitter (@arranseaton)
I've naturally bumped into a few people from here, so add me up!

Yeah that's me :) And yeah that is certainly a good comparison. Drew some inspiration from their games in the beginning. Never really touched pixel art that much and always found the style very awesome.
xqTxwFU.gif

Awesome! I think this looks really great! So keep up the rad work!

_machine

I think I follow most of the GAF devs so if I have time today, I'll put together a list.
Oh that'd be awesome, thank you.

If anyone interested we just set up our Presskit, which was a lot easier process than I'd though, huge thanks to Vlambeer and Rami for that. I'd love to hear what you think of it as I'm not entirely happy with my writing and off course our gameplay video is quite old and not so good, but any thoughts would be appreciated. Now it's time to go grab a shot for SSS, though.

Burt

So, I just learned that pixel art is much easier if you do the line art first instead of throwing down blobs of color in approximate spots and jiggering with it for hours on end.

Also, that I've wasted quite a bit of time.

kingPenguin

Neo Member
Uploaded a new video from Horizon Danger today which showcases the stage called Haven in a 1vs1 deatchmatch game. You can watch it right here

xqTxwFU.gif

That's looks and sounds awesome (so much bass)! The music is a bit slow and moody though, I'd expected something a bit more uptempo I guess :)

_machine

Here's my effort for #ScreenshotSaturday; showing the Shaman and one of our main minions, Kylliki, whose design is one of the few that will probably go unchaged:
sss22zqb8.jpg

We still need to figure out how to make the minions stand out better and redo all the animations though.

Raide

Here's my effort for #ScreenshotSaturday; showing the Shaman and one of our main minions, Kylliki, whose design is one of the few that will probably go unchaged:
sss22zqb8.jpg

We still need to figure out how to make the minions stand out better and redo all the animations though.

Turn based?

bkw

Thanks for the replies regarding Unity and consoles! I think I'll bite the bullet and try to migrate back to 4.3.

Trying to figure out what keeps bogging down the memory in my game. It's maddening sometimes!

This will sound weird but last week I had a dream I was working on our SHMUP (yeah, dreaming I'm working, WTF) and the whole screen kept on spawning objects without stopping. Nightmare fuel. The next day

THE

NEXT

DAY

I found a memory leak. Spooooooooooky :O

Looks like I'm not the only one working on a desert level then:

desert_zps9e505080.jpg

Why do they accidentally become huge and sprawling and oh god I've been at this one for so long! Finally almost done though.

This is a little hard to read, but it's super pretty!
Thank you, though that goes to my bro who kinda did everything in the art department. I just put the blocks together.

Everything makes more sense in motion. And once we have more custom art in there, things will be a bit more defined. Right now, it's just designing the things and getting them to look as good as we can with what we have.

scaffa

That's looks and sounds awesome (so much bass)! The music is a bit slow and moody though, I'd expected something a bit more uptempo I guess :)

Thanks :) In the beginning it was actually the idea to have no music at all and only ambient sounds since I wanted every stage to convey some sort of destruction, desolation or doom. Im afraid the uptemp music would lessen that effect. There are some stages in Horizon Danger that have more uptempo music and where the theme is not "doom and gloom."

Raide

Yeah, turn-based 1vs1 online, but we are currently thinking about adding AI as well so people can at least practice before going against other players.

If turn based, you could highlight the square or make it glow in order to help the unit stand out. The models have a great look to them, so just a subtle thing that shows the active piece but does not overpower it or take away from the design.m

Thanks :) In the beginning it was actually the idea to have no music at all and only ambient sounds since I wanted every stage to convey some sort of destruction, desolation or doom. Im afraid the uptemp music would lessen that effect. There are some stages in Horizon Danger that have more uptempo music and where the theme is not "doom and gloom."

I'd still think it would be possible to retain a darker theme with more 'uptempo' music.
Something like this would fit pretty well:

http://youtu.be/WLszVeGHIhE

(mostly the starting beat more than anything).

scaffa

I'd still think it would be possible to retain a darker theme with more 'uptempo' music.
Something like this would fit pretty well:

http://youtu.be/WLszVeGHIhE

(mostly the starting beat more than anything).

Oh yeah for sure! Great track and that certainly would fit the game :) My background is not music/audio production but hope and wish that in the end product the music will be a bit better.

Good feedback, appreciate it.

Makai

I've been absent since I started looking for work. Now that I have a fulltime job, I don't have time to continue on the project I was working on before. I'm going to make a much more scaled back game that I have more of a chance of finishing -> a fighting game where you can't move left or right.

JMPerona

This thread is incredible! So many ideas! So many good games! I want to try to make my first game by myseldning, but I dont know anything about making games. I have studied one or two courses about it but I forgot most of it. You maybe can help me. My intention is learnig by doing. I already have an Idea in my mind. I intend to learn how to program from the verk beginning but making the most basic of the game at the same time. Thats it: learn how to make the movement for my character, how to jump, how to shoot, etc. Then, when I learn all of this I can continue to the next step: making enemies, bullet impact, scenarios, etc. No Big ambitions here, just learning by doing.

My questions:

Unity?

Is difficult to learn the Unity programing?

If I cant advance, is some kind of community out there that can help my solve my problem?

Thanks!

Jobbs

Banned
This thread is incredible! So many ideas! So many good games! I want to try to make my first game by myseldning, but I dont know anything about making games. I have studied one or two courses about it but I forgot most of it. You maybe can help me. My intention is learnig by doing. I already have an Idea in my mind. I intend to learn how to program from the verk beginning but making the most basic of the game at the same time. Thats it: learn how to make the movement for my character, how to jump, how to shoot, etc. Then, when I learn all of this I can continue to the next step: making enemies, bullet impact, scenarios, etc. No Big ambitions here, just learning by doing.

My questions:

Unity?

If I cant advance, is some kind of community out there that can help my solve my problem?

Thanks!

If you're already familiar with programming concepts and are a generally adept person, then maybe you could start with C# and unity.

if you really are a total beginner who knows nothing about anything, like I once was, consider starting with Stencyl or Construct 2, which are both capable of making good games and are both very approachable for a beginner.

My questions:

Unity?

Thanks!

Unity isn't terribly difficult to learn (although this is me coming from XNA) but if you have no programming experience it may be challenging. Unity itself isn't difficult, but C# can be a bit daunting (but well worth the effort).

If you get stuck there's always the Unity Forums, Unity Answers and the Gamedev Stack Exchange.

For C# help, there's always the C# language references and some MSDN C# Tutorials.

There are also various scripting packages on the Asset Store (like Playmaker) that allow you to make a game with very little or no coding.

My only suggestion is to stick with C#, even if it seems difficult. Don't try Boo or Javascript with Unity, as A.) Unity seems to be switching more heavily towards C# and B.) knowing (even a small amount of) C# is a straight-up useful skill to have.

JMPerona

So C# is the way to go. Good! Well, another question here: with my "learning by doing" intentions in mind...where to begin? Learning C#? Learning Unitys interface? Learning coding in Unity?

So C# is the way to go. Good! Well, another question here: with my "learning by doing" intentions in mind...where to begin? Learning C#? Learning Unitys interface? Learning coding in Unity?

I would just jump right in to the Unity tutorials. Roll-a-ball looks like a good start, and then you can work your way up to the Space Shooter one. Stealth is marked as Intermediate, so I'd just stick to the latter three (as they're marked beginner).

Before you do that, though, you may want to run through the first couple Unity Editor tutorials just so you're familiar with the editor workflow.

The important thing, to me at least, is to jump right in to some kind of game tutorial. You'll pick up C# as you learn the ropes from the tutorials anyway, and if you want a more in-depth look at a certain aspect of C#, you can check out the MSDN docs, or just Google the particular area that you're interested in.

You could start learning C# outright, but without a solid goal in mind you'll probably get bored. I taught myself C# by starting with XNA a little over 5 years ago, so it's definitely possible (I'd even consider myself decently proficient at it now). If you want some more ideas or suggestions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to point you in the right direction. Just remember that it will probably be confusing starting out, but it gets easier once you become familiar with the C# syntax.

Good luck!

All right, so I decided to use model 2 caused it seemed much better and popular to look at and its gonna be useful for the kind of game I'm making. The new one has a bit more of shading and IMO think it looks pretty good. Now on to animating.

qwo4oS6.png

compared to

cJtXTry.png

So, about 2 years back I got fired from my job and had some down time. I decided to use that time to code a prototype for a 2D action-platformer in the vein of Ghouls 'N Ghosts and classic Castlevania. I coded it for a rather obscure Japanese 16bit computer/console hybrid called the Sharp X68000, which was a very interesting beast of a system from the late 80's.

I got as far as having a primitive prototype running with a character on screen, capable of rudimentary platforming as well as having an enemy with basic AI.

At about that point the project ran out of steam because I was on my lonesome and I suck at motivating myself to preserver when I am alone on a project and only have myself to answer to.

Ever since then I have been toying with the idea of joining up with two other persons, a pixel artist and a chiptune composer who both are technically competent enough to be able to work on vintage hardware and continue the project to completion.

I should mention that it is pretty obvious that continuing with the X68000 as a development platform is not really viable for a variety of reasons. For one the X68000 hardware is very poorly documented in english, so a lot of time has to be spent fumbling around in the dark during development. Secondly, the X68000 has next to no following among english speaking fans of older generation games.

Thus changing development platform on the somewhat similar SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis platform makes sense, but it is a lot of work and I just cannot be arsed to undertake it unless this solo endeavour becomes rather a team effort.

If anyone here possesses the right skills and has genuine interest do let me know.

Be aware though that this will be a hobby project to begin with. There is now sufficient proof that there is a commercial market, however niche and small, for new games made for vintage hardware. I have no doubt that the market is large enough to financially support a small but very talented team of individuals.

There also exists means of mass producing physical carts for these older hardware for the purpose of commercial sale. But thinking along those lines is rather pointless before one has produced a playable demo that demonstrates sufficient quality and potential to warrant further commercial pursuit.

Perhaps upon completing such a vertical slice demo one could resort to crowdfunding for the necessary funds to got into full production, if one so chooses.

kiguel182

All right, so I decided to use model 2 caused it seemed much better and popular to look at and its gonna be useful for the kind of game I'm making. The new one has a bit more of shading and IMO think it looks pretty good. Now on to animating.

qwo4oS6.png

compared to

cJtXTry.png

I really like the colors and the shading on the new one. Really nice.

_machine

Yeah, a great improvement and especially the face, which was my main dislike in the old one, is a lot better. I think the stance feels a bit odd though, like leaning back a bit too much or something, but I'm not very good at giving feedback for art :)

Tenki

I've been thinking of resuming the development of my game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXzRHvaDoKE) and I want a random level generator, but I don't know how :(

The game is made in Unity. I just want a way to make some rules (like a block being X units far from the last one) and then the engine creates some levels.

So... does anyone know how to start? I don't even know how to put a single block via script (all the above level is done by putting the blocks manually into the editor) lol

_machine

So... does anyone know how to start? I don't even know how to put a single block via script (all the above level is done by putting the blocks manually into the editor) lol
The way we did in our small runner was to make different types of blocks and then randomly picking a matching one from our list of block:
levelblocky2plw.jpg

It's not the best way to do it though and in your case the matching blocks would need more variables than just the 3 starting and 3 ending variables, but it might help with coming up with an idea.

I've been thinking of resuming the development of my game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXzRHvaDoKE) and I want a random level generator, but I don't know how :(

The game is made in Unity. I just want a way to make some rules (like a block being X units far from the last one) and then the engine creates some levels.

Assuming you have an object prefab, you could just use a for loop in a method; pseudocode would be something like
Code:
public void makelevel(levellength, prefab)
{
     int x=prefab.x;
     int y=prefab.y;
     int z=prefab.z;
     int currentlength=0;
     for (int i=0; i < levellength; i++)
     {
          instantiate(prefab,vector3(randomrange(0,x),randomrange(0,y),currentlength));
          currentlength=currentlength+z;
     }
}

which (if written properly, which it isn't) would create a 'track' of prefabs at random x and y positions between 0 and the x/y of your prefab, extending for levellength into the z axis

Tenki

The way we did in our small runner was to make different types of blocks and then randomly picking a matching one from our list of block:
levelblocky2plw.jpg

It's not the best way to do it though and in your case the matching blocks would need more variables than just the 3 starting and 3 ending variables, but it might help with coming up with an idea.

Assuming you have an object prefab, you could just use a for loop in a method; pseudocode would be something like
Code:
public void makelevel(levellength, prefab)
{
     int x=prefab.x;
     int y=prefab.y;
     int z=prefab.z;
     int currentlength=0;
     for (int i=0; i < levellength; i++)
     {
          instantiate(prefab,vector3(randomrange(0,x),randomrange(0,y),currentlength));
          currentlength=currentlength+z;
     }
}

which (if written properly, which it isn't) would create a 'track' of prefabs at random x and y positions between 0 and the x/y of your prefab, extending for levellength into the z axis

Thanks! But if I made a script like the one in MrNyarlathotep's post, it would create a level to play in it, but could I edit it in the editor?

I mean, what I want is the script to create a track and put it in the editor, so I can tune it before finishing the level.

Thanks! But if I made a script like the one in MrNyarlathotep's post, it would create a level to play in it, but could I edit it in the editor?

I mean, what I want is the script to create a track and put it in the editor, so I can tune it before finishing the level.

Nah, my example is a fully procedural runtime example - you'd only be able to edit while in playmode (and theres not really anything in the editor to edit outside of playmode with that sort of thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom