• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five

Banned
Thanks :-D Can I put Nether Mind's heroine in the audience as well? (Does she have a name, by the way?)

Certainly. She had a different name previously, but right now I'm going with Evie Blake. It's unlikely to change again.

I figured this would be the place to ask. I'm looking for someone to make a small portion of a game for a research project. I've got $500~$1000 set aside for it but I'm wondering if that's enough. It would just be an avatar creation screen and maybe five minutes of gameplay. Is that a fair price? Where would be the best place to post a job listing?

There are a whole lot of variables here. Is it 2D or 3D? What kind of gameplay are you talking about? If it's 3D, I think it's highly, highly unlikely that you'd find someone who could do it for that price. 2D is probably feasible, depending mainly on the gameplay you want.

I'll add further that I'm potentially interested, but having these other details is important for you to know and share with others you're trying to get interested.

Pau

There are a whole lot of variables here. Is it 2D or 3D? What kind of gameplay are you talking about? If it's 3D, I think it's highly, highly unlikely that you'd find someone who could do it for that price. 2D is probably feasible, depending mainly on the gameplay you want.

I'll add further that I'm potentially interested, but having these other details is important for you to know and share with others you're trying to get interested.
Thank you for the response! Good point.

It would be 2D, and the gameplay isn't too important. A point and click adventure type of game or puzzle game would work. The research is about the avatar creation aspect, but I was hoping to put in something else so that the subject isn't tipped off that it's about that.

The reasons I'm looking for a new game are:
1) I don't want the subjects to know whether the game is single-player or multiplayer (Subjects will be divided into two groups: one told that the game is single-player and another told that the game is multi-player)
2) I want the avatar creation to not have binaries like female/male. I want the subjects to self-report what the gender/race of their avatar is.

A friend was working on the project, but had to back out. This is what she was working on.

Five

Banned
Thank you for the response! Good point.

It would be 2D, and the gameplay isn't too important. A point and click adventure type of game or puzzle game would work. The research is about the avatar creation aspect, but I was hoping to put in something else so that the subject isn't tipped off that it's about that.

The reasons I'm looking for a new game are:
1) I don't want the subjects to know whether the game is single-player or multiplayer (Subjects will be divided into two groups: one told that the game is single-player and another told that the game is multi-player)
2) I want the avatar creation to not have binaries like female/male. I want the subjects to self-report what the gender/race of their avatar is.

A friend was working on the project, but had to back out. This is what she was working on.

Frankly, I'm fascinated by this, and would love to help. Care to take this to PM?

_machine

Haha, I love that Honey frame over here :-D Thanks a lot :-D

I guess it's guest saturday then, since I've got guests of my own!

MenacingGiftedFox.gif

I had already shown the cook from Cook, Serve, Delicious, but you can now see some dancing cubanoids from VizionEck, and Hibari from Spirit Huntress in the audience! Any more volunteers to fill the crowd? :-D
Haha that's awesome, I usually love the little easter eggs in games as long as they're not too distracting. Feel free to use one of our minions or the shaman for the game if you want to:

Speaking of characters, I'm a bit late with this, but earlier our concept artist wrote about making characters come to life. Here's a quick progression on how she designed the main character really quickly:
The current 3D version can found in the article, but as we come back from the holidays we plan on upgrading all of our 3D models and also rework nearly all of the animations. The original 7-week schedule to a fully playable game was a bit unforgiving in some aspects, but it was for the better as we've learned a lot about the pipelines we are going to use and also had an animator from Riot to teach us and look at our work as well as another traditional 2D animator teaching our guys some basics.

The greenlight has been going really slowly lately, but we are planning a big push and showing the game at conferences as well as doing at least a closed alpha should help with that.

In the meantime though be sure to vote for us for the IOTY2014!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

MenacingGiftedFox.gif

I had already shown the cook from Cook, Serve, Delicious, but you can now see some dancing cubanoids from VizionEck, and Hibari from Spirit Huntress in the audience! Any more volunteers to fill the crowd? :-D
Any room for John Dudebro (with a beer mug)? Warning: his muscle mass would probably take two seats.

_machine

Any room for John Dudebro (with a beer mug)? Warning: his muscle mass would probably take two seats.
Oh man that would be so awesome...do it!

We're putting together some new promo stuff as part of the run-up to Christmas, featuring the enemies in their new art and some of the tile sets. We're starting it from this weekend with a big roundup of new stuff in our devblog, since we've been a little quiet of late!
Woah that's really beautiful! What size are you going printing it at?

Just broke the top 100 on Steam Greenlight. Now for the long trip to as close to #1 as I can get. :D
Congrats, you're just obliterating the competion!

MenacingGiftedFox.gif

I'd request my project's main character, but while I do have a visual design for her in mind, it hasn't actually been drawn yet, haha. Unless that's not a problem for you, really. So many multi-talented people in this thread.

Kritz

Banned
This is gonna sound weird,

but has anyone ever been offered... to have a (garage?) hockey arena named after their game?

Cuz I get the weirdest emails sometimes.

Pehesse

I was just popping my head here before putting the final touches to the Scrolr, and oh, so many new volunteer guests! Glee!

To all: I'll probably manage by rummaging through the thread, but if you could refer me to/PM me some references for the character you have in mind (not many mind you, I can work with anything that at least shows said character at full size - if not, I'll make up what's missing, be wary :-D), I'd very much appreciate it!

Certainly. She had a different name previously, but right now I'm going with Evie Blake. It's unlikely to change again.

Evie Blake sounds good! I'll go with that for my layer names :-D

Haha that's awesome, I usually love the little easter eggs in games as long as they're not too distracting. Feel free to use one of our minions or the shaman for the game if you want to:

The more the merrier! He'll fit right in!

Plenty of room left, so if he wants in, he's in :-D I'll make sure he rocks those two seats, too!

I'd request my project's main character, but while I do have a visual design for her in mind, it hasn't actually been drawn yet, haha. Unless that's not a problem for you, really. So many multi-talented people in this thread.

Honey's quite far from being out of the door, so there's plenty of time for you to finalize a design! Or, you could send me your general direction/sketches now if you want to see a "first proposal" kind of thing from my end? We could work that out, too!

It will all be coming in the next few days/weeks, so check your PMs!

Honey's quite far from being out of the door, so there's plenty of time for you to finalize a design! Or, you could send me your general direction/sketches now if you want to see a "first proposal" kind of thing from my end? We could work that out, too!

Well, she hasn't been drawn yet because I'm a crappy artist XD. But yeah, a 'first proposal' thing would be pretty cool. I'll send you a general direction ASAP.

Dascu

Bit of a late #screenshotsaturday here. This is not the most recent screenshot, but latest work has been mostly behind the scenes. I finally got Unity Pro and I've been using some of its features to improve performance. Occlusion culling in particular has cut down my drawcalls enormously. And while I'm on the subject, does anyone here have any experience with Unity's async loading functionality? LoadLevelAsync and AdditiveAsync are giving me headaches with some apparent inconsistent behaviour. I made a detailed post here: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/848148/questions-about-loadlevelasync.html

As a reminder, Malebolgia is out now on Steam Early Access: http://store.steampowered.com/app/318860

Also, Pehesse, awesome work. Looks like a really fun fighter.

MenacingGiftedFox.gif

Every time mI see this game I think, this looks freaking mazing. And then I see the menus with the living sim aspect and I want to play it even more!
The audience detail is just astonishing.

Would love to have an easter egg of the game we are wornking, too bad is the majority skeletons and other undead mosnters lol, I don't think it would work well there.

Pehesse

Well, she hasn't been drawn yet because I'm a crappy artist XD. But yeah, a 'first proposal' thing would be pretty cool. I'll send you a general direction ASAP.

No problem, I'll be waiting! :-D

Also, Pehesse, awesome work. Looks like a really fun fighter.

Thanks a lot (and hopefully not "just" a fighter, too :-D) !
I saw about Malebolgia since my Twitter feed was quite lively about it, that must mean it's getting some traction? Either way, congrats! The game looks as impressive as ever.

Would love to have an easter egg of the game we are wornking, too bad is the majority skeletons and other undead mosnters lol, I don't think it would work well there.

Hey, you never know! We managed to find a way for VizionEck's cubes to fit in, so skeletons are at least not excluded from a try :-D

Anyway, thanks a lot, I'm glad to see this small idea garners enthusiasm!

Hey, you never know! We managed to find a way for VizionEck's cubes to fit in, so skeletons are at least not excluded from a try :-D

Anyway, thanks a lot, I'm glad to see this small idea garners enthusiasm!
That sounds cool, will PM if I find a good idea to incorporate it (we still need some details here and there for some characters). Even our human characters are in a cartoony fantasy 1800's lol

Bit of a late #screenshotsaturday here. This is not the most recent screenshot, but latest work has been mostly behind the scenes. I finally got Unity Pro and I've been using some of its features to improve performance. Occlusion culling in particular has cut down my drawcalls enormously. And while I'm on the subject, does anyone here have any experience with Unity's async loading functionality? LoadLevelAsync and AdditiveAsync are giving me headaches with some apparent inconsistent behaviour. I made a detailed post here: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/848148/questions-about-loadlevelasync.html

I've not yet tried async loading yet, so take all of this with a grain of salt:

1. Javascript. The few times I've used Javascript with Unity I've got some inconsistent results. Maybe throw these into a C# script and see if you still have the same issues?

2. Is your 'async' variable in LoadNext specified as an AsyncOperation somewhere? I'm assuming that it's declared elsewhere, but I figured I'd ask.​

I'll think on it some more and let you know if I come up with anything else. This is the first time I've heard of something like this, so I'm probably not being much help -- sorry!

_machine

As a reminder, Malebolgia is out now on Steam Early Access: http://store.steampowered.com/app/318860
I totally forgot to congratulate you, but better late than never so HUGE CONGRATS!

I bet the first few days of launch must've felt weird, but also relieved to have it out there.

How's it looking after a few days? I've run into the game on twitter and I think on some other sites as well (and off course the main page Steam which is probably the biggest one) which is always a good thing, but it's so hard predict anything on Steam these days.

Dascu

I've not yet tried async loading yet, so take all of this with a grain of salt:

1. Javascript. The few times I've used Javascript with Unity I've got some inconsistent results. Maybe throw these into a C# script and see if you still have the same issues?

2. Is your 'async' variable in LoadNext specified as an AsyncOperation somewhere? I'm assuming that it's declared elsewhere, but I figured I'd ask.​

I'll think on it some more and let you know if I come up with anything else. This is the first time I've heard of something like this, so I'm probably not being much help -- sorry!

I've been trying several examples, often even copying exactly from the manual. I'm not doing anything special anyway, just trying to load a different scene in the background. It's just bizarre how I get different results, even in the same scene. I'm in scene A. I load asynchronously B. Works fine. Then I go back from B to A. I execute the same code. Doesn't work. I can only imagine there is some kind of memory allocation thing going on (the RAM usage in A on the second time is slightly higher than it was first time around).

I totally forgot to congratulate you, but better late than never so HUGE CONGRATS!

I bet the first few days of launch must've felt weird, but also relieved to have it out there.

How's it looking after a few days? I've run into the game on twitter and I think on some other sites as well (and off course the main page Steam which is probably the biggest one) which is always a good thing, but it's so hard predict anything on Steam these days.

Sales are low, but reception is positive. Completely expected and I'm not dissatisfied. So I'm hoping to ramp up marketing and then eventually the big blow-out on its full launch in late January. Fact is also that Early Access titles are not automatically given Steam front page presence (only Recent Releases and that fades out fast).

I've been trying several examples, often even copying exactly from the manual. I'm not doing anything special anyway, just trying to load a different scene in the background. It's just bizarre how I get different results, even in the same scene. I'm in scene A. I load asynchronously B. Works fine. Then I go back from B to A. I execute the same code. Doesn't work. I can only imagine there is some kind of memory allocation thing going on (the RAM usage in A on the second time is slightly higher than it was first time around).

I'm streaming in and out levels in my open world no problem in Unity.

In my game most of my loading is LoadLevelAdditiveAsync so I can't just give you a finished solution, but hopefully I can help. So from the menu you're using LoadLevel to load a loading scene, and then that loading scene automatically uses LoadLevelAsync to bring in the correct level. Correct?

I can only imagine there is some kind of memory allocation thing going on (the RAM usage in A on the second time is slightly higher than it was first time around)..

That would make sense if you're doing LoadLevelAdditive as, unlike LoadLevel, it won't destroy the currently loaded level when it's done.

As far as I know, when using LoadLevelAdditive you have to manually destroy stuff that you don't want anymore (like the last level, for instance). It sounds kind of daunting, but you can do it pretty easily if you have an empty game object that's the parent of every object in the scene you're loading, so it looks like this:

-MyAwesomeLevelHolder
-----Object
-----Object
-----Object

You can then destroy MyAwesomeLevelHolder and then the Garbage Collector should take care of the rest of the objects (which, by the way, should only be done on a loading screen or something, as the GC overhead would likely cause a frame hitch).

I don't believe this would solve your problem, though, as I believe you said it happens with the normal LoadLevel as well as with LoadLevelAdditive. Micheal will probably be more help than I will, though, so defer to Micheal's advice before mine. :p

EDIT: Actually, how does your profiler look when this happens? You should be able to use the profiler to see if it's a CPU issue (which would most likely be some async loading bug) or a GC issue (which would be a garbage issue most likely due to additively loading scenes).

Woah that's really beautiful! What size are you going printing it at?

Ha! Well, we haven't decided quite yet if we will do prints (we'd love to), but these are more like little info cards we're going to reveal over time for the more common enemies, right up to whenever we release. Also thanks!

Love the poster, beaut!

Cheers man!

With all that being said, we posted a new blog entry tonight:
http://devblog.monothetic.com/

But here's all the pretty stuff :)

I also polished up the main menu theme a bit more, so take a listen!:
https://soundcloud.com/beacon-ost/main-menu-theme

We're going to have a lot more cool updates as we get closer to the new year!

HelloMeow

That looks and sounds great!

That would make sense if you're doing LoadLevelAdditive as, unlike LoadLevel, it won't destroy the currently loaded level when it's done.

As far as I know, when using LoadLevelAdditive you have to manually destroy stuff that you don't want anymore (like the last level, for instance). It sounds kind of daunting, but you can do it pretty easily if you have an empty game object that's the parent of every object in the scene you're loading, so it looks like this:

-MyAwesomeLevelHolder
-----Object
-----Object
-----Object

That's how I did it when I made a room loading system. I didn't use a loading screen because it didn't stutter, but I was only testing it with a small number of objects.

Maybe it won't stutter if you gradually destroy the objects.

While I was setting up a special effect, I had my camera's screen rectangle slowly get smaller and smaller. Since it was the only camera, the space around it was not removed after every frame. Created such a cool effect that I decided to put it in the final game as an "art" type mode.

If you just go through the game randomly it looks pretty messy, but if you slowly move around it creates a cool distorted picture.

i1BnZjPmO3j4W.png

iXrkrL1PmBQC8.png

ibwWuIqSLSZMdn.png

ibk2S0xvjIEe0K.png

Blizzard

Banned
I hate failing at Ludum Dare, but at least I have an excuse -- I spent like 10 hours at a party on Saturday with some friends I hadn't seen in forever.

However, due to those missing hours, I don't even have all of the game functionality programmed. I've put a lot in over the last 9 hours or so, but I'm actually mildly amused by the concept so I guess I'll go ahead and finish it as a jam submission. The main reason I dislike doing that is that I immediately jump from the tier of pure 48 hours, to potentially competing against graphics downloaded from the internet. I'll still stick with ludum dare compo rules for my own, but it sure won't look good in comparison with other entries. :p

Feep

Banned
If I don't take literally any days off between now and release, I should be able to make my deadline.

Hashtag sigh

Dascu

I'm streaming in and out levels in my open world no problem in Unity.

In my game most of my loading is LoadLevelAdditiveAsync so I can't just give you a finished solution, but hopefully I can help. So from the menu you're using LoadLevel to load a loading scene, and then that loading scene automatically uses LoadLevelAsync to bring in the correct level. Correct?

Not quite. I have Scene A, which is basically just a Start Menu. User presses a button which starts a Coroutine LoadLevelAsync (I've also tried Additive). This (and Additive) works: Scene A does not freeze while Scene B is loaded in background, meaning I can display a progress bar and all that. There's only a short litter stutter on the actual level transition, but that's fine (and for Additive, Scene B pops in the background).

My first question here is, when I then go back from Scene B to A, via a menu option "Return to Start screen", which in code is very simply LoadLevel("Scene A"), this works. But when, in A, I click the same button again to go to Scene B, I do not get the same results as above. The game freezes while B is loaded. When looking at RAM usage, I notice that: Scene A uses a small amount, B uses a very large amount, and upon returning to A, it's still a small amount (so B is gone), but slightly bigger than what it was before (say a 20% increase).

My second question, when I duplicate the same code in Scene B, to try to use LoadLevelAdditiveAsync a Scene C, it does not work in the background, at all. Always freezes.

So again, how can it be that the same Scene A only runs the code correctly the first time around, and second, how can it be that the same code in Scene B does not work at all.

I've described the situation and pasted tiny bits of code here: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/848148/questions-about-loadlevelasync.html

Kritz

Banned
If I don't take literally any days off between now and release, I should be able to make my deadline.

Hashtag sigh

barely related, but I'm realising pretty quickly that you're playing with fire any time you say aaaanything publicly about plans for your game. Stuff can fall through, you might change your mind, a feature might not be fun so you cut it, or you speculated one thing and end up doing something else.

... and a new thing I just started discovering, is ignoring people who get real mad at your game for no reason, and learning how to not to be affronted by the comments. Which, traditionally, has been something I'd be perfectly happy to engage with because I like a good ol' fashion shitshow. But all of a sudden it feels a lot more public, and that's kinda scary.

I wonder if over-analysing is an evolutionary trait.

Dio

Banned
A humanoid asset for a work in progress:

Click:

Any advice on topology and stuff? Learning 3D, my experience before now has been doing 2D assets. The model will be rigged and animated and everything.

Note: yeah, the model was entirely in Maya. I'm aware the modern workflow is zbrush > retopologize into maya.

Pehesse

Hashtag sigh

And here I thought going indie allowed to escape the vile clutches of crunch time!

Good luck with your deadline, then!

Small update for the guests: the Scrolr and Evie Blake are now in the audience!

eaqqtGx.jpg

ClBuYuJ.jpg

_machine

Hashtag sigh
Ugh, it's never exactly a good place to be where you only "should" make a deadline by working day and night, but if you're commit to it I have no doubt that you'll make it happen :)

That's so friggin awesome!

Ito

So cool wacthing Hibari, the scrllr (scrollr/screllr/scrlrlrlr/whatev) the cute puppet girl and everyone else among the audience :)

Amazing job, Pehesse, thanks for the cameo! Can't wait to cameo back!

Adventure/platformer, it's all animated.

I've been working on some pixel art backgrounds for a fighting game, this is nowhere near finished though

Fy1UVJw.jpg

6 parallax layers. Very incomplete, pls dun judge, haha.
I'll judge. It looks pretty sweet! Very interesting style.

And here I thought going indie allowed to escape the vile clutches of crunch time!

Good luck with your deadline, then!

eaqqtGx.jpg

ClBuYuJ.jpg

Great work on those, nice to see the audience slowly fill up.

Also, speaking of cameos in Honey, I might as well share this as well, since Pehesse went to the trouble of sketching this phenomenal concept piece up for this particular character cameo, and he/she (sorry, don't know your gender and I didn't want to make assumptions, haha) is happy to let me use it as concept art for my project. Say hello to Xerena Idyal, Pehesse style:

bc82ab7c-d5a7-43d3-a130-a7588be42847.jpg

I was actually expecting to go over multiple takes to get it just right, but despite this concept being not what I really would've had in mind initially, I couldn't help but say "fuck it, it's perfect". Her final in-game design would be more animeesque (perhaps with some cues from Ghost in the Shell), among other tweaks, but it perfectly encompasses what I had in mind for the character and her regular casual/military outfit. So yeah, thanks Pehsesse for being so awesome.

And now, if you excuse me, I need to get back to working on my game! Can't be procrastinating when so many other people are being awesome.

Pehesse

Adventure/platformer, it's all animated.

I've been working on some pixel art backgrounds for a fighting game, this is nowhere near finished though

Fy1UVJw.jpg

6 parallax layers. Very incomplete, pls dun judge, haha.

Wow, that's really interesting and cool looking! It actually reminds me a lot of the Day of the Tentacle style of perspective distortion.. I tried my hand at that a while ago, and I quickly learned that it's a lot harder that I thought to make things warped like this and still look good, so congrats since it does :-D

A lot of thanks to all of you enjoying the growing audience of Honey, as well :-D I'm having a lot of fun doing this, as a sort of thanks for this thread and the various boosts it's given me. I won't clutter the thread any more quoting for thanks each time, but know that your feedback really means a lot!!
Here's the latest addition: Ancestory's shaman!

ZGH2SqF.jpg

RqKdGiZ.jpg

Next on the list: John Dudebro and Xerena Idyal (it's "he", btw :-D), and SpacePirate Ridley's skeleton if he comes up - and that will be all I think, as I'm actually running low on space on this match. Never thought that'd happen, maybe I'll find ways to fit in more people elsewhere!

Again, thanks all :-D

Not quite. I have Scene A, which is basically just a Start Menu. User presses a button which starts a Coroutine LoadLevelAsync (I've also tried Additive). This (and Additive) works: Scene A does not freeze while Scene B is loaded in background, meaning I can display a progress bar and all that. There's only a short litter stutter on the actual level transition, but that's fine (and for Additive, Scene B pops in the background).

My first question here is, when I then go back from Scene B to A, via a menu option "Return to Start screen", which in code is very simply LoadLevel("Scene A"), this works. But when, in A, I click the same button again to go to Scene B, I do not get the same results as above. The game freezes while B is loaded. When looking at RAM usage, I notice that: Scene A uses a small amount, B uses a very large amount, and upon returning to A, it's still a small amount (so B is gone), but slightly bigger than what it was before (say a 20% increase).

My second question, when I duplicate the same code in Scene B, to try to use LoadLevelAdditiveAsync a Scene C, it does not work in the background, at all. Always freezes.

So again, how can it be that the same Scene A only runs the code correctly the first time around, and second, how can it be that the same code in Scene B does not work at all.

I've described the situation and pasted tiny bits of code here: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/848148/questions-about-loadlevelasync.html

Have you tried profiling it yet? I think it would be helpful to see the graphs from the first A->B transition and the graphs from the second A->B transition to see if it's a CPU problem or a GC (garbage collector) problem.

If you're getting your RAM readings from the profiler, then disregard the following, otherwise if you're it from Task Manager it's useful to remember that Task Manager gives a pretty rough estimate of the current RAM usage, and isn't really suitable for profiling memory usage.

Noogy

I probably spent half the day making this stupid thing but every game needs a horrible demented robot!

Remember that the arms counterbalance the legs. So if the left foot is in front, then the right arm is also in front.

There are very rare occasions of people not walking this way, but I'm pretty sure their balance will seem very awkward :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom