• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dascu

Have you tried profiling it yet? I think it would be helpful to see the graphs from the first A->B transition and the graphs from the second A->B transition to see if it's a CPU problem or a GC (garbage collector) problem.

If you're getting your RAM readings from the profiler, then disregard the following, otherwise if you're it from Task Manager it's useful to remember that Task Manager gives a pretty rough estimate of the current RAM usage, and isn't really suitable for profiling memory usage.

Yeah, I'll give the Profiler a shot. It's just that within the Editor, the entire Async loading coding is finicky as well.

Edit: Hrm, within the Editor the RAM usage is a bit higher too, under the vague "Unity" name. For the rest, the Profiler isn't all that great since Async loading does not work within the Eidtor itself and therefore there's nothing Async about it. I can't see what happens while it's loading, the entire thing freezes.

Yeah, I'll give the Profiler a shot. It's just that within the Editor, the entire Async loading coding is finicky as well.

Edit: Hrm, within the Editor the RAM usage is a bit higher too, under the vague "Unity" name. For the rest, the Profiler isn't all that great since Async loading does not work within the Eidtor itself and therefore there's nothing Async about it. I can't see what happens while it's loading, the entire thing freezes.

What about profiling the standalone build? I haven't tried it recently, but you used to be able to attach the profiler to a running build of the game (at least on Windows). Here's a few links (link, link) to some more info on that.

Alternatively, have you tried it on different machines? It'd be good to know if this happens across the board 100% of the time, etc.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Remember that the arms counterbalance the legs. So if the left foot is in front, then the right arm is also in front.

There are very rare occasions of people not walking this way, but I'm pretty sure their balance will seem very awkward :)

You're absolutely right, thanks for pointing that out. I was never beyond beginner level in modeling/animation and this is my first attempt in about a year, so I was expecting it to be bad. But having helpful tips like this will eventually mold me into someone slightly less noob. =D

friken

Our Ludum Dare 31 entry is live! Theme, screen."Entire game on one screen"

We decided to do a onescreen game through the monochrome,vga,modern era. Our results.. 72 hour jam w two artists and 4 coders:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=35030

monochrome:
DeliriousAdmirableHowlermonkey.gif

vga:
ThatTestyAsiaticmouflon.gif

Souls modern:
GiftedVibrantLarva.gif

friken

That's cool! But it made me sad because I realize missile never posts anymore with his crazy image transcoding stuff.

funny you say that. As I was making the 'monochrome' and 'vga' modes and setting up shaders I was thinking, damn it would be great to have missle here!

friken

After your amazing art, here's my own amazing art! I did the 48-hour compo rules and meant to do a compo entry, but after being gone all Saturday afternoon I failed to finish in time. So I finished programming, added some sound and music, and did a jam submission. It is not my finest work but it amused me at times.

Card Quest:
card_quest0wum4.png

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=12278

great work. I'm in awe of the 48 hour competition people. I can't imagine making my own art and code in only 2 days. Though there is one drawback to a large jam team (we had 6 here most of it), is the distraction level is off the chart when trying to code there are others having git issues, wanting extra eyes on a bug, etc. I was likely top of the list of distracting others though :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So, we're going to have to slip our release date to January because of our lotcheck.. but it's fine, it's fine..

I've always wanted to release a game in January because the competition is so sparse. Just always seemed to make sense to me.

friken

Nice! Looks neat. Man, I gotta figure out this shader stuff some day.

Thanks. Shaders can make a quick project look like it took a lot longer to make ;) I can't take much credit for the shaders other than minor tweaks/mods. Unity is nice that way. Plug and play other's great assets from the store or wiki and look like you know what you are doing.

friken

A lot of thanks to all of you enjoying the growing audience of Honey, as well :-D I'm having a lot of fun doing this, as a sort of thanks for this thread and the various boosts it's given me. I won't clutter the thread any more quoting for thanks each time, but know that your feedback really means a lot!!
Here's the latest addition: Ancestory's shaman!

ZGH2SqF.jpg

RqKdGiZ.jpg

Next on the list: John Dudebro and Xerena Idyal (it's "he", btw :-D), and SpacePirate Ridley's skeleton if he comes up - and that will be all I think, as I'm actually running low on space on this match. Never thought that'd happen, maybe I'll find ways to fit in more people elsewhere!

Again, thanks all :-D

Looking great as always. How many fighters are you targeting for initial release?

Blizzard

Banned
I love how many Ludum Dare games feature a snowman in some fashion. Maybe that's just because people thought up an idea before the theme was fully announced, but it would be great if a bunch of people are just making it a sort of rebellious statement. THE SNOWMAN STILL LIVES. He's on my title screen, showed up in a window in a random interview game, there are a couple outside in a coin-flipping game, etc.

friken

I love how many Ludum Dare games feature a snowman in some fashion. Maybe that's just because people thought up an idea before the theme was fully announced, but it would be great if a bunch of people are just making it a sort of rebellious statement. THE SNOWMAN STILL LIVES. He's on my title screen, showed up in a window in a random interview game, there are a couple outside in a coin-flipping game, etc.

yeah im sure snowman was a close second for theme. im just glad that deep space didnt win so i got to do something new :)

Blizzard

Banned
Hard-to-detect, low-impact bugs are kind of funny in a way.

I ended up playing my own Ludum Dare game again for a while, trying to confirm that the deck does wrap around in order -- something you could potentially use for your advantage, but something most people would probably not notice.

It ended up ALMOST being that way, and I was very confused for quite a while so I ended up bringing up the code and debugging it. It turns out that the game cheats you by apparently deleting one or two cards from the deck due to a loop count bug, but this is so subtle that you would basically never know. =P

_machine

So, we're going to have to slip our release date to January because of our lotcheck.. but it's fine, it's fine..
:(
Hopefully no major issues though, at least you can be happy that it's not going to be as rough as Frozenbyte had it for the original Trine on PS3, they spent nearly half a year getting the game through all the TRCs.

Pehesse

Our Ludum Dare 31 entry is live! Theme, screen."Entire game on one screen"

We decided to do a onescreen game through the monochrome,vga,modern era. Our results.. 72 hour jam w two artists and 4 coders:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=35030

monochrome:
DeliriousAdmirableHowlermonkey.gif

vga:
ThatTestyAsiaticmouflon.gif

Souls modern:
GiftedVibrantLarva.gif

After your amazing art, here's my own amazing art! I did the 48-hour compo rules and meant to do a compo entry, but after being gone all Saturday afternoon I failed to finish in time. So I finished programming, added some sound and music, and did a jam submission. It is not my finest work but it amused me at times.

Card Quest:
card_quest0wum4.png

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=12278

Congrats to all Ludum Dare entrants! I'm always impressed to see what devs can manage in such a short timeframe. Juggling between all parts of development in a very tight schedule is something that's a bit beyond me (solo or even as a team effort), so I'm impressed no matter the result :-D I can't even do the comics 24h, a French event where you're supposed to draw 24 comic pages in 24h, and that's only graphic stuff, so a whole game in 48-72h is an even greater achievement to my eyes.

I love how your vga stuff looks, Friken, it reminds me of that adventure games era of Rama, Atlantis, I have no mouth and I must scream, etc... Great looking stuff.

Looking great as always. How many fighters are you targeting for initial release?

Thanks! There are 4 main, fully fledged fighters - the main character, and three opponents, for three main matches. There are plenty more smaller opponents, but they have wayy less moves and animations, so they don't count for half as much, and they're not featured in big, full matches like the three others are :-D

Dascu

What about profiling the standalone build? I haven't tried it recently, but you used to be able to attach the profiler to a running build of the game (at least on Windows). Here's a few links (link, link) to some more info on that.

Alternatively, have you tried it on different machines? It'd be good to know if this happens across the board 100% of the time, etc.

Hmm, it's not giving me much to work with. The RAM usage seems to be higher, but I can't even tell what it is that's causing it. That aside, the RAM is still much much lower than the previous scene, nor do I understand why it would matter in the first place.

I just don't get it. Scene A -> B -> A -> B. First A->B works fine, second (and further) does not.

Edit: Seems Unity 5 has some more advanced async loading and streaming options. Maybe that will help.

bumpkin

Hmm, I'm looking for some design insight from the coding minded folks...

I'm (still) building my own engine using C++ with SDL, and I'm implementing a Component based structure where I have "GameObjects" that are a collection of said Components. What I'm running into now is the problem of how to properly apply collision detection between objects during my frame updates. It's not the comparison and calculation that's giving me trouble, it's the relationships; the player's own bullets shouldn't hurt itself and when two objects are shown to be colliding, which should "win" (i.e. a power-up should disappear when it's touched).

I've thought about two approaches. One being that I segment the GameObject collections into buckets -- projectiles, enemies, items, etc. -- and the other that I implement some sort of "owner" data member.

Anyone have any suggestions or insight? Just curious what others have done in this realm. This is my first time making a game, so it's all very new to me.

Mr. Virus

Always curious, but are there any audio guys floating around here at all? Always see a lot of code and art talk, which is pretty awesome, but not much from a sound perspective. Always wanna jump in on stuff but kinda feel out of my depth with things outside of that whole sphere!

Kyuur

Hmm, I'm looking for some design insight from the coding minded folks...

I'm (still) building my own engine using C++ with SDL, and I'm implementing a Component based structure where I have "GameObjects" that are a collection of said Components. What I'm running into now is the problem of how to properly apply collision detection between objects during my frame updates. It's not the comparison and calculation that's giving me trouble, it's the relationships; the player's own bullets shouldn't hurt itself and when two objects are shown to be colliding, which should "win" (i.e. a power-up should disappear when it's touched).

I've thought about two approaches. One being that I segment the GameObject collections into buckets -- projectiles, enemies, items, etc. -- and the other that I implement some sort of "owner" data member.

Anyone have any suggestions or insight? Just curious what others have done in this realm. This is my first time making a game, so it's all very new to me.

You should have a structure that manages the gameobjects (maybe a scene/level, or whatever manages the game loop). Your base gameobject has a list of tags ("player", "enemy", etc) and your collision method searches the gameobject list for gameobjects with a provided tag. Perform collision checks on each object found.

That's how I do it anyways.

Edit: In terms of 'winning' a collision, I usually only have one object check for collisions with another. With your power-up example, I would have either the power-up check for collision with the player, or the player check for collision with the player. No need to do it both ways. When you have two players checking for collision, they are going to proceed in a linear fashion so you only need to think about what should happen to both when they collide and implement it in both collisions.Generally there's stuff like knockback or un-collidable timers going on to prevent the second collision from happening, or you can deal with it some other way.

Also since you mentioned buckets, std::unordered_multimap does that. Make the key a string, value a reference to your gameobject and you have the tag system I mentioned. C++11 only though.

bumpkin

You should have a structure that manages the gameobjects (maybe a scene/level, or whatever manages the game loop). Your base gameobject has a list of tags ("player", "enemy", etc) and your collision method searches the gameobject list for gameobjects with a provided tag. Perform collision checks on each object found.

That's how I do it anyways.

Edit: In terms of 'winning' a collision, I usually only have one object check for collisions with another. With your power-up example, I would have either the power-up check for collision with the player, or the player check for collision with the player. No need to do it both ways. When you have two players checking for collision, they are going to proceed in a linear fashion so you only need to think about what should happen to both when they collide and implement it in both collisions.Generally there's stuff like knockback or un-collidable timers going on to prevent the second collision from happening, or you can deal with it some other way.

Also since you mentioned buckets, std::unordered_multimap does that. Make the key a string, value a reference to your gameobject and you have the tag system I mentioned. C++11 only though.
Thank you for the idea! That all makes sense. I actually hadn't even thought about using a tag approach despite using something similar elsewhere. My engine class has a collection of systems that are stored in an std::map using an enum I defined as their keys (i.e. EngineSystem_Audio, EngineSystem_Graphics). I made some changes last night to the Components as well using a similar setup. Previously they were anonomous objects stored in a vector, but I found as I got into my frame updates, I really needed to be able to say "Give me your Sprite", "Give me your Controller", etc.

Is there any advantage to using an STL multimap versus simply nesting containers (e.g. std::map<KEY, std::map<KEY, OBJECT>>)?

Admittedly this is my first go at using a Component design so I'm kind of learning as I go. gameprogrammingpatterns.com's article on the matter has more or less been my bible. It's been very helpful at least in terms of getting the over-arching concept. The implementation for my own purposes has been the trickiest part. My programming background has been primarily web stuff, so real-time logic (versus procedural) is a whole new ball game.

Hmm, it's not giving me much to work with. The RAM usage seems to be higher, but I can't even tell what it is that's causing it. That aside, the RAM is still much much lower than the previous scene, nor do I understand why it would matter in the first place.

I just don't get it. Scene A -> B -> A -> B. First A->B works fine, second (and further) does not.

Edit: Seems Unity 5 has some more advanced async loading and streaming options. Maybe that will help.

If you set your build to start in scene B and bypass the first A->B load, does the second A->B load work?

anthn

Such a nerve wracking experience, but Turnover's Greenlight campaign is now live. It is comforting to see that it's getting a bunch of 'Yes' votes already, though!

I found an old screenshot a while ago, showing Turnover back when it was a prototype.

vs. Today

The base style did stay similar when to comes to lighting and general design, but I'm relieved that I was able to get the sprite look & perspective to a decent level. Still more work to go.

I wouldn't count on Unity 5 saving your bacon any time soon. I tried it out earlier in the thread and concluded that it was a bit of a mess at this point in time.

If you set your build to start in scene B and bypass the first A->B load, does the second A->B load work?

This is a good idea. Alternatively, you could try setting up an empty scene (C) and go B->C->B to see if it's something to do with scene B (if it's not, you could try A->C->A as well).

----------------------------

Always curious, but are there any audio guys floating around here at all? Always see a lot of code and art talk, which is pretty awesome, but not much from a sound perspective. Always wanna jump in on stuff but kinda feel out of my depth with things outside of that whole sphere!

What are you looking to jump in on? Sound mixing (taking pre-recorded sound effects and turning them into something else, or mixing them with other clips)? Or sound effect recording (going out and recording your own effects)?

If it's sound mixing I can probably give you some pointers. I'm not a professional audio guy, but I do all of my own mixing, so I might be able to help. If it's sound effect recording there are some people in here that record their own effects, so they might see your post and be able to help.

Five

Banned

There are a couple of musicians who pop in every once in a while, and occasionally discussion about VA happens here, but it's definitely mostly artists and programmers here. I don't want to disparage audio guys, especially since I absolutely love my musician, but I think the hard part is that art and programming are the two most important things in a game. You can't play a game without playing it and you can't play a game without looking at it.

I think most indie devs therefore are artists who found an easy way to learn coding or programmers who learned to art at least well enough to represent the game. With practice comes getting better at each thing, and some devs are incredibly good at both programming and art, but my point is that that's more likely than someone with audio history coming in and learning art and code simultaneously.

The other thing to consider is how much more esoteric audio design is. You have to have the right software, most of which is confusing to beginners, and you have to get set up with mics and other equipment. I've done some audio engineering for my games in the past, but I feel like I only understand about ten percent of what Adobe Audition has to offer, and the rest of it scares me.

So I respect what you guys do, but I understand why there are few of you here and why the discussion rarely leans that way.

Mr. Virus

There are a couple of musicians who pop in every once in a while, and occasionally discussion about VA happens here, but it's definitely mostly artists and programmers here. I don't want to disparage audio guys, especially since I absolutely love my musician, but I think the hard part is that art and programming are the two most important things in a game. You can't play a game without playing it and you can't play a game without looking at it.

I think most indie devs therefore are artists who found an easy way to learn coding or programmers who learned to art at least well enough to represent the game. With practice comes getting better at each thing, and some devs are incredibly good at both programming and art, but my point is that that's more likely than someone with audio history coming in and learning art and code simultaneously.

The other thing to consider is how much more esoteric audio design is. You have to have the right software, most of which is confusing to beginners, and you have to get set up with mics and other equipment. I've done some audio engineering for my games in the past, but I feel like I only understand about ten percent of what Adobe Audition has to offer, and the rest of it scares me.

So I respect what you guys do, but I understand why there are few of you here and why the discussion rarely leans that way.

Yeah, get that part of it, although would debate the importance of audio in games massively :p. But that being said there's a lot of demystifying that probably needs to be done around game audio and music, especially when it comes to how it effects design, gameplay, stuff like that. I usually say that design and code are how a game "works", art is how it "looks" and audio is how it "feels" in an overall sense. Might just be an audio guy ego trip though ha ha!

What are you looking to jump in on? Sound mixing (taking pre-recorded sound effects and turning them into something else, or mixing them with other clips)? Or sound effect recording (going out and recording your own effects)?

If it's sound mixing I can probably give you some pointers. I'm not a professional audio guy, but I do all of my own mixing, so I might be able to help. If it's sound effect recording there are some people in here that record their own effects, so they might see your post and be able to help.

Ah, I'm an audio dude ha ha! Was mainly to see if there were others here and if they were (also) willing to talk about that side of things. Stuff like mixing, HDR/ducking, and other techniques are things that really improve a game but rarely pop up... well anywhere as far as I've seen indie devs discuss development in general :(.

\Ah, I'm an audio dude ha ha! Was mainly to see if there were others here and if they were (also) willing to talk about that side of things. Stuff like mixing, HDR/ducking, and other techniques are things that really improve a game but rarely pop up... well anywhere as far as I've seen indie devs discuss development in general :(.

Ah, that makes more sense! Reading it back I understood what you meant, but first time through "jumping in" for some reason meant "wanting to learn". Sorry about that!

hello!
though i just compose music and don't really know how to do anything technical. i feel i need to brush up on that.

Dascu

This is a good idea. Alternatively, you could try setting up an empty scene (C) and go B->C->B to see if it's something to do with scene B (if it's not, you could try A->C->A as well).
Thanks for the suggestion, but, alas, no luck. Going from B->A->B causes a freeze. So, something must be sticking around from B, right? I don't have anything in there with DontDestroyOnLoad. (Additive)Async loading in general does not work in B, whereas it works in A, even running the same code.

I wouldn't count on Unity 5 saving your bacon any time soon. I tried it out earlier in the thread and concluded that it was a bit of a mess at this point in time.
Well, from the Unity forums there is recent discussion that they're working on the background loading system. A poster there mentioned seeing much quicker load times.

I'll try to stay optimistic. It's not a major issue, I imagine it wouldn't be that common for a user to go exit to the main screen and immediately back in-game. But, still. It's curious to say the least.

---

Edit: Test I did. I made a copy of Scene A (reminder, this is basically just a menu screen). I added to Scene A and Scene A2 each a big chunk of mesh data, each separate. So now both scenes are to identical other than for a big block of data unique to them. I set it up so Scene A would load A2, and A2 load A. Results? Works perfectly. A doesn't freeze, shows a nice progress bar. Neither does A2 when loading A. And I can keep going back and forth without any issue. I'm not sure what this tells me though!

---

Edit 2: Aha! Had a breakthrough. Previously I went from Scene A to B with LoadLevelAsync, and from B to A with LoadLevel. And as explained, that first transitions from A to B went fine, but when I went from B to A and to B again, it froze. I have now discovered that if I go from B to A with LoadLevelAsync instead of plain LoadLevel, and then go A to B, it does not freeze! This effectively solves this problem. I assume this implies that there is some data still in the background from going A to B with Async, and this causes problems next time I do the same thing. But when I go back to A from B with Async, it flushes out that previous data. I don't know, I'm going to bed.

Ah, I'm an audio dude ha ha! Was mainly to see if there were others here and if they were (also) willing to talk about that side of things. Stuff like mixing, HDR/ducking, and other techniques are things that really improve a game but rarely pop up... well anywhere as far as I've seen indie devs discuss development in general :(.

I'm a noob with sound so I can't really partake in a discussion, but I'd love to here what you and other audio dudes have to say.

Mr. Virus

Ah, that makes more sense! Reading it back I understood what you meant, but first time through "jumping in" for some reason meant "wanting to learn". Sorry about that!

Ah, no worries ha ha! Just good to see other people that do audio related stuff :).

hello!
though i just compose music and don't really know how to do anything technical. i feel i need to brush up on that.

Hi! Composition's still a good skill to have on its own though! What sorta stuff do you think you need to know?

Turfster

God damn it.
I was happy with the new Unity GUI, until I, you know, actually tried to use it.
No property binding? Having to update your UI from code (in multiple places if you've got something complex) and thus having to store links to your UI GameObjects is so fucking ass-backwards.

Blizzard

Banned
God damn it.
I was happy with the new Unity GUI, until I, you know, actually tried to use it.
No property binding? Having to update your UI from code (in multiple places if you've got something complex) and thus having to store links to your UI GameObjects is so fucking ass-backwards.
I played at least one Ludum Dare game that used some GUI system. When the mouse was clicked on the GUI, or keyboard keys were pressed down, they would not register for the game once the GUI vanished, unless you released the key/mouse and pressed again. I was not sure if this was a Unity GUI issue, or just the programmer not using it properly.

Kyuur

God damn it.

I can't imagine a UI system where I wouldn't manipulate from code and have links to the objects. Seems logical enough to me. What kind of other UI systems are there?

Turfster

I played at least one Ludum Dare game that used some GUI system. When the mouse was clicked on the GUI, or keyboard keys were pressed down, they would not register for the game once the GUI vanished, unless you released the key/mouse and pressed again. I was not sure if this was a Unity GUI issue, or just the programmer not using it properly.

Don't know about that, my main menu buttons seem to work fine.
The fact that I have to update my player health and score or whatever in every bit of code where they get updated instead of it having built-in MVVM-style property binding so you can just set it to watch a variable and update based on that is mind-boggling.

I can't imagine a UI system where I wouldn't manipulate from code and have links to the objects. Seems logical enough to me. What kind of other UI systems are there?
Proper ones, where you can replace the code completely while still having the GUI work as long as it can access whatever properties and/or functions are attached to its various elements

Kyuur

Is there any advantage to using an STL multimap versus simply nesting containers (e.g. std::map<KEY, std::map<KEY, OBJECT>>)?

I'm not really sure on that exactly. Would need to run tests to examine performance differences, but it can depend on a lot of things (key and object complexity, for example). I general I just look at this chart when deciding what container I want and go with whatever seems most natural:

Don't know about that, my main menu buttons seem to work fine.
The fact that I have to update my player health and score or whatever in every bit of code where they get updated instead of it having built-in MVVM-style property binding so you can just set it to watch a variable and update based on that is mind-boggling.

Proper ones, where you can replace the code completely while still having the GUI work as long as it can access whatever properties and/or functions are attached to its various elements

You can do that yourself pretty easily by code, and the only difference is that the script is on your GUI with the relevant objects attached there. I guess what you're probably annoyed about is that it doesn't do this by default though.

Next on the list: John Dudebro and Xerena Idyal (it's "he", btw :-D), and SpacePirate Ridley's skeleton if he comes up - and that will be all I think, as I'm actually running low on space on this match. Never thought that'd happen, maybe I'll find ways to fit in more people elsewhere!

Again, thanks all :-D

Just sent you a PM ;)

Darryl

Banned
So, I'm building my friend an iOS game in Unity for his Birthday. I don't quite understand how I would go about installing it on his phone. I'm not a dues paying iOS development member, nor can I really afford that at the moment. Is there any way?

Turfster

So, I'm building my friend an iOS game in Unity for his Birthday. I don't quite understand how I would go about installing it on his phone. I'm not a dues paying iOS development member, nor can I really afford that at the moment. Is there any way?

Not as far as I know.

You can do that yourself pretty easily by code, and the only difference is that the script is on your GUI with the relevant objects attached there. I guess what you're probably annoyed about is that it doesn't do this by default though.

Writing a separate little script just to update data for every GUI item isn't really a workable solution, nor should it even be offered as one over a standardised, built in way to hook this up generically since they want you to do everything in the fucking editor with prefabs anyway tbh =p

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of this, I ran into something I didn't understand while using the Sonar X3 DAW (digital audio workstation) software to make music for Ludum Dare.

I don't think I had ever used automation before, so I wanted to try it as a way to globally fade all tracks at once. I had a simple song with a few tracks of MIDI events, and the "master" shows up as a different track. I was able to get an automation envelope to appear and modify it, or turn on write automation enable and drag the master volume slider while playing the song, and that would change the curve.

The problem was, even though the master bus output volume slider would change the song volume while playing, the automation curve never seemed to do anything useful even though read automation was enabled for the master. The only effect it might have had was that the starting point of the curve would determine the entire song's volume.

I changed to use the master input gain automation curve instead of the master bus output automation curve, and that worked perfectly, fading all tracks at once.

I was still left a bit confused why the bus master output method didn't work though. If anyone can help me understand I would appreciate it!

I've always wanted to release a game in January because the competition is so sparse. Just always seemed to make sense to me.

In Asia, January is THE time to release a game because kids tend to get cash on New Years Day. Then again, Jan is when people start cashing in their gift certificates too.

bumpkin

I'm not really sure on that exactly. Would need to run tests to examine performance differences, but it can depend on a lot of things (key and object complexity, for example). I general I just look at this chart when deciding what container I want and go with whatever seems most natural:

G70oT.png
Nice... That's a pretty handy chart. Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely hang onto it.

I made some adjustments tonight and went with the bucket approach. Instead of my GameObject collection being a plain vector, I created a new enum for the type and now it's working as a vector nested in a map. That should make my collection detection a little easier to control what's checking for collisions against what.

It was nice having to only change the methods creating and/or accessing the GameObject container and having everything else (still) just work. At least I was doing something right from the start! :D

Feep

Banned
It turns out asking players to memorize things is a horrible idea, as no one wants to memorize anything ever. No one could remember the NATO Phonetic alphabet, so we redesigned our nodes...old on the left, new on the right. It's a little easier to read, as well.

NewNodes.PNG

Five

Banned
It turns out asking players to memorize things is a horrible idea, as no one wants to memorize anything ever. No one could remember the NATO Phonetic alphabet, so we redesigned our nodes...old on the left, new on the right. It's a little easier to read, as well.

NewNodes.PNG

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it Alfa?

Finally deciding starting to learn Unity, I have some pretty decent ideas for some projects, but I'm mainly going to make some throwaway games to learn the program.

I'm starting the basic project roll-a-ball tutorial on the website, any suggestions for tutorials involving C# and Unity? I've barely touched the language and I feel like I need to learn it to use Unity properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom