• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Sigh.
I'll fork it and fiddle around with it if once I've ported over my old model loader and animation system.
Otherwise, no dinosaurs, just big green blocks =p

Why not save what you have up to now and split the game into Non-Shooty Police Procedural and T-Rex Rampage World Tour? If you noticed that adding the T-rex model creates some fun and/or interesting things, you really should keep them in mind and experiment a bit, or spin the T-rex mode into its own game, and the same should hold true for any "genius mistakes" you make.

Yeah, that's what I usually do. I didn't really manage to turn Dino Rampage into something "gamey", as it were. I mean, it's fun, but there was no lasting hook. Maybe I can add car/NPC squishing and some kind of military opponent to counter your stomping fun... Hrm...

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
The new 16gb iPod touch looks like a good buy if you're wanting to test an iOS game on widescreen hardware. I got a 32gb one earlier in the year, and I love it.

Some new screens for Screenshot Saturday

bQSQSC2.png

dB3WPPP.png

And a short, low quality gif of it in action

iKZDiVuk4jG7u.gif

You've been missing for a while, that looks good. How is the development going?

Development's going pretty well. Lots and lots of refactoring though, so I haven't had too much to show off visually. I'm transitioning from the "just hack it to work in the prototype" phase to the "set a proper foundation so I build the game right" phase.

Ventron

Ooh, Screenshot Saturday!

I'm at the stage where I think the core is done, I now need a story, some sprites for the main character and dog, balancing the numbers in the battle system, special attacks to learn, enemies to fight, title screen, options, ending...

Ooh, Screenshot Saturday!

I'm at the stage where I think the core is done, I now need a story, some sprites for the main character and dog, balancing the numbers in the battle system, special attacks to learn, enemies to fight, title screen, options, ending...

Never heard about that software before, you basically export the dialong into you own engine or it also comes with the battle system, etc.?

Ventron

Never heard about that software before, you basically export the dialong into you own engine or it also comes with the battle system, etc.?

The former. Twine is used to make interactive fiction. The battle system I'm writing myself.
Twine is mostly used to export to HTML, like this:

http://monsterkillers.com/games/2012-07-18 Rat Chaos/ratchaos.html
http://aliendovecote.com/uploads/twine/atlantean.html
http://aliendovecote.com/uploads/twine/howlingdogs/howlingdogs.html

Razlo

I'm making a games journalism simulator that will allow you to live out all your misquoting, story spinning, product shilling dreams. The game will parody the current state of game writers as well as the games industry at large.

I'd love to get any suggestions on specific stories, or games press trends that people would like to see included.

I don't have a lot to share yet, as I don't expect to have a public playable demo until next year, but here's a Vine I made on some of my progress...

https://vine.co/v/bYTFVAJYUpj

iOS A4 processors can not handle the awesome of my trees, so yeah they will be static and have a little less leaves on older devices, but they still look great.

I just need to get some more enemies and skills working again and then I should have a solid testing ground.

Turfster

Curse whoever decided to make Unity Vector members lowercase instead of uppercase like pretty much everywhere else. Every time I think I've gotten them all, another one pops up in a new source file...

EDIT: ... I can't use unsafe code? Really?
EDIT2: Okay, I can, but I need to create a "smcs.rsp" file in the assets directory with "-unsafe" in it. Figuring this out took way too much time.
EDIT3: Nice fake-out there, Unity/Monodevelop, pretending the memory access code would work, but quietly fucking everything up behind the scenes.

Raide

First project coming along slowly. My best friends has gone a bit mental and is spending way too much time coding stuff. :D Currently prototyping some stuff for use down the line but already having random name generation, random map making and a few other bits in is great so far. Nothing solid just yet but things are slowly coming together

razu

Yo!!

I've been giving away Chopper Mike on PC/Mac on Twitter and FB today, so thought I'd share the love here...

Email CHOPPER GAF to vamflax@vamflax.com for a free key!!

Is there another GAF thread this would be welcome in?

Having an interesting problem...didn't think it'd be this difficult.

My original plan was to draw buildings and other structures on top of a base "ground" environment, so soldiers and other mobile units could go behind them or whatever. I thought I'd just move the structures toward the camera (orthographic projection, no visible change), or the soldiers away from the camera, or something.

Turns out this is a lot harder than it seems. I can't line up the 2-D structure's sprite to the 3-D world geometry representing that structure, because the 2-D sprite always needs to face the camera, and the 3-D world geometry does not, see:
I don't really understand your exact problem but I think there's going to be a lot of issues with this approach. Either you use the approximate 3d geometry for occlusion or you split the texture up and place all your walls at different depths. The first way your 3d geometry is going to have to match the art absolutely perfectly or you'll have nasty artefacts when people move behind things. The second way breaks down if you need to have a long diagonal wall (which it looks like you will want) as there is no sensible depth at which to place this.

If you first draw a 2d scene then there's no guarantee that there is a 3d geometry that even makes sense with what you've drawn. Creating the geometry to match will be a massive arse-ache. If you make the 3d environment first you almost might as well be making everything in 3d. That way you leave the system flexible for any later changes (move the camera in or out slightly, adjust prop positions, etc). I don't see how making everything 3d will add to your budget when your pipeline demands you model all the environment later anyway. It's not like you have to texture the back of every wall. So many things will become so much simpler too.

Limanima

I'm glad to announce that Snails has reached today a new milestone!
After almost 3 years of developing time, the game is finished and we have submitted it for approval in the Windows Phone 7 marketplace!

milestone.png

We also have a trial for PC ready (Mac almost ready) and will be online soon.

Cheers!

Duderino

Looking very cool, though that chromatic aberration to my eyes is really intense.

I typically only use a very small amount of it to help my renders look more photographic. Too much though and the results start replicating a cheap camera. Guess it depends on the look you are going for.

Turfster

Lots of ranting and raving and cursing both myself and the people that created Unity, but I got there in the end. Behold! Once I've cleaned up the files and ported over the pedestrians, I'll do a video, but for now, all you get is a still ;)

GulAtiCa

Well still Saturday for next 5 minutes.. So #screenshotsaturday

Super Kitty Cat
hyDI.png

Still working on this coming together. Now working on the 2nd level.

Zombie Defense
KSO9.png

Nothing to really show here. :p I just started a new game project and little excited that I got the waypoint system I created for the enemies to find the main player. (red = paths between the waypoints (spheres), green = zombie path to human. Human is the cube on right)
I plan to have the game as a 2D top-down zombie game in a style of a tower defense gameplay. Where you start out low in level but earn money/points as you survive and can use that money to upgrade or buy new weapons/ammo/etc.
I also have an idea for multiplayer for me to try out in Unity for me to get used to it. The multiplayer would be different, will be player vs player in the style of human vs zombies. Where a game would start with all but 1 or so players would be human and few zombies. If a human dies, they become a zombie. Humans win if they survive the round timelimit and zombies win if they turn all the humans. Basically similar to the Zombie Panic mod for Half-Life. (I was actually somewhat part of the team back in the day, mainly as a beta tester and map maker in like 2005ish - same with Goldeneye Source)

Huge update since my last post a long, long time ago. So we formed the studio and worked away, and we were lucky enough become licensed Sony + Nintendo devs and such.

Now we're looking for funding and this is the tough part. We're probably going to go to publishers. I'd personally love to find some way to fund the game without something in the way but realistically it's just not going to happen given our budget (which as you can imagine after salaries and office space alone does inflate the budget quite a bit, not to mention software licenses, etc.)

Anyone been through this and have any tips? We'd love to hear it.

trinest

Hey guys.

I want to get into making games, whats the best engine to use for someone with little to none coding experience, who wants to make 2D stuff, but doesn't care about learning complicated stuff as long as it doesn't go over my head and their easy tutorials and stuff?

Hey guys.

I want to get into making games, whats the best engine to use for someone with little to none coding experience, who wants to make 2D stuff, but doesn't care about learning complicated stuff as long as it doesn't go over my head and their easy tutorials and stuff?
I bought and toyed around with Construct2 and it seemed pretty good for what you want.

I know nothing really about Stencyl besides it meeting the basics of your criteria but I remember seeing something ridiculously awesome made with it (I think it was in this thread) - worth checking out at least.

And obviously, GameMaker is prime for diving into 2D game dev.

Hey guys.

Gamemaker, construct, (to a degree Stencyl) and the like are all great for people who have 0 coding experience. If you want to make anything more involved (even 2D stuff), you will eventually have to learn how to code to some degree.

Hey guys.

The Games Factory 2, Construct 2, and Multimedia Fusion 2 use a WYSIWYG type thing, with plenty of built in stuff for you to get going really quickly. They use an event system, so "if this condition/event occurs do this action". They're very easy to get going and from the seems of it Construct 2 has a pretty big community and Clickteam (TGF2 and MMF2's developers) have been around for at least 10 years (I think their first game product, Klik n Play was released in 1997 or something) and have a few big communities at their company forums and at places like The Daily Click.

JoeInky

Hey guys.

Going to pretty much copy and paste what I posted in AGDG when someone asked the same question.

I'd go with GM if you're wanting to make 2D games, it's cheap and simple enough that you can focus all your efforts into learning about game logic and sharpening your game design rather than messing around with creating engines from the ground up.

One of the main benfits of GM for people like yourself, is that it really is much quicker to start making something from scratch than it is in other languages, this instant-gratification really helps out when you're just getting into game dev. Seeing the fruits of your labour faster means you can get into it easier, it's very offputting to many new people that start out in the deep end when they don't really have something good up and running for the first year or so, unless they have very high commitment and motivation which is a very rare thing these days.

If you couple this with learning a proper programming language on the side, when/if you eventually reach the limitations of GM, you can move onto something that more suits your needs whilst retaining all the lessons you've learnt about game design - these lessons are language-agnostic and will stay with you forever.

There are lots of other simple programs that people have mentioned as well, really you should just download trial versions and mess around with them, see what interfaces you like, what features take your interest and just go from there.

taku

I downloaded the free version of Construct 2 this weekend. It seems easy enough, and I can't code for shit.. Although, I might add that, so far, Construct 2 seems a bit limited and non-intuitive.
I tried creating a sort of base for a platformer but I've been busy enjoying the weather instead. Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial for easy Enemy AI for Construct 2?

I downloaded the free version of Construct 2 this weekend. It seems easy enough, and I can't code for shit.. Although, I might add that, so far, Construct 2 seems a bit limited and non-intuitive.
I tried creating a sort of base for a platformer but I've been busy enjoying the weather instead. Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial for easy Enemy AI for Construct 2?

i don't but it's so adorable when he grabs the wall lol

razu

Okay, so being featured on Google Play earned about £1,000. I get around £1 per copy. So that's pretty good, especially since I spent last week in Cyprus, floating around in the ocean in a rubber ring :D

Chopper Mike is no longer on the front page, but is mentioned in other listings. I don't hold out much hope for sales now though!

I have however put it on sale on iOS and Android, so I will report back on whether the unfeatured sales go up. I was selling at £1.49/$1.99, now £0.69/$0.99.

I'm also mentally committing to another 16 level bonus world update. Going to sketch some out tonight.

In other news, I'm pretty much going to make a Pilot Wings game next. Well, Pilot Wings/Monkey Target game. Mainly because.. I want to make it :D

taku

i don't but it's so adorable when he grabs the wall lol
Haha yeah, I didn't really know how to draw that frame.

Okay, so being featured on Google Play earned about £1,000. I get around £1 per copy. So that's pretty good, especially since I spent last week in Cyprus, floating around in the ocean in a rubber ring :D

Chopper Mike is no longer on the front page, but is mentioned in other listings. I don't hold out much hope for sales now though!

I have however put it on sale on iOS and Android, so I will report back on whether the unfeatured sales go up. I was selling at £1.49/$1.99, now £0.69/$0.99.

I'm also mentally committing to another 16 level bonus world update. Going to sketch some out tonight.

In other news, I'm pretty much going to make a Pilot Wings game next. Well, Pilot Wings/Monkey Target game. Mainly because.. I want to make it :D
Monkey Target! Do Monkey Target!

Raide

I love my friend. :D

We messed about with a few ideas to see how Unity works out and we started on another game idea and he has already prototyped the raw basics of the game. I have no programming ability but I throw ideas at him and he makes stuff.

Now I have to brush up on some Wings3D and try and make some assets for it. Currently rolling with cubes and balls. :D

I seriously underestimated how hard it's to get some good sounds.

I'd love to have some extra money and hire someone to do it. I don't know how I'm going to do the music, I'm thinking on simply not having any.

Turfster

For music to set the right mood for my prototypes and experiments, I usually use http://www.incompetech.com (of course I haven't released anything into the wild, so far)
He's got a lot of great creative commons licensed stuff, so in theory, it should be fine to use it as long as you give credit where credit is due (and if you really want to release commercially and make sure, you can always drop him a line)

GulAtiCa

Does anyone here use Windows 8 and Unity? I am thinking of getting a new computer, as my laptop is slightly old, and I want a more powerful computer. I'm not a fan of macs, so most likely the new computer will have Windows 8 installed. I am curious how Unity is in Windows 8 compared to 7 and if I should just downgrade the computer to Windows 7.

cbox

Does anyone here use Windows 8 and Unity? I am thinking of getting a new computer, as my laptop is slightly old, and I want a more powerful computer. I'm not a fan of macs, so most likely the new computer will have Windows 8 installed. I am curious how Unity is in Windows 8 compared to 7 and if I should just downgrade the computer to Windows 7.

I don't see how it would be any different in 7. I run it on 8 and it's been fine from my limited use so far.

JulianImp

I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 8 installed and used it to build a game for a game jam using Unity, so I can at the very least tell you that I didn't experience any errors, glitches or crashes. As far as Unity's performance in Win8's environment goes, I guess my game jam project couldn't be considered a good benchmarking point since it was farily light on processing, graphics and just about anything you'd probably want measurments of.

If anyone wants to suggest a stress test Unity Project I could load and get some numerical results we could use to compare with otehr computers and OSes, then I'd gladly try it with my laptop and post the results here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom