• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrKaizen

Neo Member
Hi guys
I'm new here and I really like the community so I want to show you my project.
I'm working on a survival action in RE4 style, called EFFING DEAD, with my friend - the team name is TheShortAndTheTall and, yes, we are 2 ^_^

We are on steam and INDIEGOGO and we HAVE an OPEN BETA. Do you want to try? ;)

DOWNLOAD FROM HERE

Some images:

effingdead_shot4_17.jpg

We have finish moves:

effingdead_v-blade51.gif

and barrel rolls:

effingdead_barrelroll011.gif

Of course we have more + some gameplay videos but don't want to look like a spammer. ;)
Any comment is welcome!
Tks!

Turfster

Don't you hate it when you spend a whole day debugging why your rotations are wrong, even though they're correct in your exporting program, only to realise that in the exporting program, child rotations get multiplied by parent rotations on draw. Sigh. At least fixing it was relatively easy.

Feep

Banned
You should switch to a solution you feel comfortable then. IMHO, go back to 2D or use Unity as intended and remove the 3D elements from you prerendered background and render them in 3D.

This time next week you'll be past this problem and stuck on the next

Is it entirely out of the question to build your scenes with 100% 3D assets? It will give you much more flexibility moving forward.

Creating the geometry to match will be a massive arse-ache. If you make the 3d environment first you almost might as well be making everything in 3d.
I'm Feep, bitches! Don't count me out.

Got it working! And there's no artifacting, because I'm using the sprite itself as a mask. The only question becomes "which should be drawn first, the structure or the soldier", which is not a trivial problem, but I'm currently using a raycast and an approximate 3-D structure (boxes are good enough for most buildings) to determine if the building is "in the way". It's not perfect (the raycast goes to the bottom of the soldiers' feet), but I can improve the results later with either more raycasts or a custom solution.

Feels good, man. Special thanks to Duderino for some shader help via PM's!

razu

Well, reducing the price of Chopper Mike to $0.99 on Google Play has seen it sell as many per day as when it was featured! Of course, it makes far less money... but more people are playing! :D

iOS sales have increased too!

Well, reducing the price of Chopper Mike to $0.99 on Google Play has seen it sell as many per day as when it was featured! Of course, it makes far less money... but more people are playing! :D

There are many price tracking sites, when you reduce the price it gets featured on the feed of those sites giving you extra traffic.

razu

There are many price tracking sites, when you reduce the price it gets featured on the feed of those sites giving you extra traffic.

Well, that makes sense!

Even more reason to release at Tier 2 on iOS, so you can drop the price without going free.

JulianImp

Both look nice, but in the first one it seems to me like you should pre-warm the snow particle system (or whatever it is) if you can, since seeing the snow beginning to fall down right after the level starts is kind of weird.

I really like how the bat's eyes can be seen in the darkness in the second image, but levels played in pitch-black darkness have always been kind of frustrating to me (unless the lights turn on an off at regular intervals, I guess).

EDIT: I read something interesting on Gamasutra today, and since I'm not too sure when and how I should make new threads, I'll post it here:

It seems like the Game Developer magazine has published its last issue, and they decided to make it available for download for free. They're also going to upload all GDM issues to their GDC Vault sometime in the future as well. You can find their announcement and the link to the PDF download here: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/193504/Download_the_last_Game_Developer_magazine_issue_for_free.php

Duderino

Got it working! And there's no artifacting, because I'm using the sprite itself as a mask. The only question becomes "which should be drawn first, the structure or the soldier", which is not a trivial problem, but I'm currently using a raycast and an approximate 3-D structure (boxes are good enough for most buildings) to determine if the building is "in the way". It's not perfect (the raycast goes to the bottom of the soldiers' feet), but I can improve the results later with either more raycasts or a custom solution.

Glad to hear you were able to get it working!

Anyone have a list of Unity Asset Store stuff that they recommend? I've only gotten a few things like playmaker and some audio reactive stuff, but want to see what everyone else is using.

I wish there was a site that did asset store reviews

mrKaizen

Neo Member
Anyone have a list of Unity Asset Store stuff that they recommend? I've only gotten a few things like playmaker and some audio reactive stuff, but want to see what everyone else is using.

I wish there was a site that did asset store reviews
Hi,
I can give you my opinion. ;)
I have NGUI which is very good (I made all the menus and the HUD for my game COLOSSUS ESCAPE - only one draw call for atlas) and also the FPS Graph, very usefull for me (I haven't the pro right now).

Also I recommended all the HOLOVILLE utilities.

Limanima

After Snails have been submitted to the Windows 7 marketplace, it was time to put some attention and love in the Mac/Windows versions.
The game is now running perfectly on both platforms. The Monogame team has done a great job. We will have to mention them in the game credits for the monogame versions.

mac.jpg

There's still some testing to do, but it's looking good.
The next in line will be the Windows 8 version.

Cheers!

Ashodin

Hey guys I'm back in this thread again! I've decided to put more Mr. Wave on hold as I came up with a very interesting idea for a mobile game as my real first project. Mr. Wave has been so much fun to work on, and I want to come back to it with even more experience after this first one.

It's a puzzle game, and if I can get it working just the way I want, it will be AWESOME. :)

Best of luck to you! You get to say "I told you so" when it ships :D.

I've cleaned up the OP a bit. Y'all think I should get rid of the XNA entry since its not officially supported anymore?

You could replace it with MonoGame!

Yay, wheels are turning on my project, I hope to have some stuff to share at the end of the month. 80 hour a week job has reduced my hobby time to bathing and eating. I wish I could function without sleep...

You could replace it with MonoGame!

Yay, wheels are turning on my project, I hope to have some stuff to share at the end of the month. 80 hour a week job has reduced my hobby time to bathing and eating. I wish I could function without sleep...

WTF, I hope you are getting well paid at least.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Don't you hate it when you spend a whole day debugging why your rotations are wrong, even though they're correct in your exporting program, only to realise that in the exporting program, child rotations get multiplied by parent rotations on draw. Sigh. At least fixing it was relatively easy.

ya man, all the time.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

awesome, keep us updated!

GulAtiCa

Thanks to those who answered my Windows 8 question. I'll end up buying a new one soon, and since I'm planing to get a nice computer tower anyways, I also plan to upgrade what I buy by a little to also make it a very decent gaming PC as well.

I've also started working a little more on my zombie idea, already started working on the firing of a handgun/shotgun and working with prefabs to create the ammo fired. I'll end up going back to my previous game idea (the colorful crayon drawing game of Super Kitty Cat) and use prefabs for enemies. Would make creating them in new scenes much easier. lol

Haha Feepster, I never doubted your commitment to making things work. And I also understand what you are attempting to do fits your vision for the game, which is cool.

So now I'm guessing you want to sort the scene objects so you can draw back to front?

Since you are going for a 2D look I'm assuming you are always going to keep the camera at the same angle. If this is the case you could probably create a 2D array that represents the the ground and precalculate your depth comparisons. For each conceptual cell you could have a list of all the static occluders for that cell. This way you can check which cell a dynamic object is in and then determine which structures it should be drawn behind. This is pretty cool because you can then manually adjust the cells at design time.

As for dynamic objects, you would just simply sort that list based on a distance comparison to an arbitrary point. You should pick a point based on your camera angle and it should always be at the edge of the scene.

So now you have two depth sorted lists, static and dynamic objects. The static list is already sorted one time (during design,build, or scene load its up to you) and your dynamic objects are sorted each frame during runtime. Now all you have to do is merge the two lists each frame to get your final draw order. This shouldn't be too hard.

You start with the first item on your static list. For that item you check and see if it occludes any dynamic objects. If yes, draw all dynamic objects occluded by the static object. Once there are no more dynamic objects occluded, draw the static object. Move to the next static object and rinse/repeat. Once all static objects are drawn, draw all remaining dynamic objects that have not been drawn yet. Done.

This is just a general algorithm. There are many ways you can implement this in code based on your specific needs.

With all that said, I still stand by my statement that 3D would give you much more flexibility with the game going forward but do respect your decision based on your vision/budget.

It will be interesting to see how your approach holds up when you get to particle effects. ;-) (Just remember I'm not doubting you)

JulianImp

Thanks to those who answered my Windows 8 question. I'll end up buying a new one soon, and since I'm planing to get a nice computer tower anyways, I also plan to upgrade what I buy by a little to also make it a very decent gaming PC as well.

I've also started working a little more on my zombie idea, already started working on the firing of a handgun/shotgun and working with prefabs to create the ammo fired. I'll end up going back to my previous game idea (the colorful crayon drawing game of Super Kitty Cat) and use prefabs for enemies. Would make creating them in new scenes much easier. lol

You should probably look into using object pools for the dropped bullet casings, as it's a lot better than instancing things willy-nilly... that is, unless you want them to never disappear from the map, which'd probably be a bad idea due to the memory expenditure and possible physics issues if you atually use rigidbodies on each ejected bullet casing and keep them all active. If you use pools, you should just request ejected casings from it (and change the model and collider accordingly, rather than keeping a pool for each kind of casing), and start a timer that eventually fades the object out and finally returns it to the pool. To make physics checks easier, you should assign a new physics layer to the casings and the level geometry, and finally having the bullets only collide with the level in the project's physics properties to avoid piling on unnecessary checks (or crazy casing physics glitches when you pile enough of them together).

For the shots, you could do simple raycast checks for the actual shots or actually simulate the bullet's travel time, which could be useful in some kinds of games. For the latter, you'd probably have to use Rigidbody.SweepTest() to check for collisions, as most bullets you'll be firing move way too fast for Unity to properly handle their collisions.

Feep

Banned
Haha Feepster, I never doubted your commitment to making things work. And I also understand what you are attempting to do fits your vision for the game, which is cool.

So now I'm guessing you want to sort the scene objects so you can draw back to front?

Since you are going for a 2D look I'm assuming you are always going to keep the camera at the same angle. If this is the case you could probably create a 2D array that represents the the ground and precalculate your depth comparisons. For each conceptual cell you could have a list of all the static occluders for that cell. This way you can check which cell a dynamic object is in and then determine which structures it should be drawn behind. This is pretty cool because you can then manually adjust the cells at design time.

As for dynamic objects, you would just simply sort that list based on a distance comparison to an arbitrary point. You should pick a point based on your camera angle and it should always be at the edge of the scene.

So now you have two depth sorted lists, static and dynamic objects. The static list is already sorted one time (during design,build, or scene load its up to you) and your dynamic objects are sorted each frame during runtime. Now all you have to do is merge the two lists each frame to get your final draw order. This shouldn't be too hard.

You start with the first item on your static list. For that item you check and see if it occludes any dynamic objects. If yes, draw all dynamic objects occluded by the static object. Once there are no more dynamic objects occluded, draw the static object. Move to the next static object and rinse/repeat. Once all static objects are drawn, draw all remaining dynamic objects that have not been drawn yet. Done.

This is just a general algorithm. There are many ways you can implement this in code based on your specific needs.

With all that said, I still stand by my statement that 3D would give you much more flexibility with the game going forward but do respect your decision based on your vision/budget.

It will be interesting to see how your approach holds up when you get to particle effects. ;-) (Just remember I'm not doubting you)
Hahaha.

I think that approach would work, with the caveat that if a dynamic object is "on top of" a static object, thus occupying the same cell, a height check would need to be done (how high is this object?) to see which is drawn first. But the general idea is solid.

With regard to particle effects, I don't see why I can't treat them as I do the soldiers or any other dynamic object. Admittedly, doing these calculations is introducing a bit more overhead into each individual particle, but I don't think I'm going to be pushing crazy amounts of them.

Thanks for the tip!

Hahaha.

I think that approach would work, with the caveat that if a dynamic object is "on top of" a static object, thus occupying the same cell, a height check would need to be done (how high is this object?) to see which is drawn first. But the general idea is solid.

With regard to particle effects, I don't see why I can't treat them as I do the soldiers or any other dynamic object. Admittedly, doing these calculations is introducing a bit more overhead into each individual particle, but I don't think I'm going to be pushing crazy amounts of them.

Thanks for the tip!

When you do the grid check, you do it in your internal 3D scene representation. Since a cell only represents if it is occluded (partial or full) or not, then it wouldn't matter if an agent is on top of a structure. You would mark that cell as non-occluded (meaning nothing in its occluder list), unless there is another structure that does indeed occlude the cell. This is something you set up at level build time, so your basic intuition for marking cell occlusions should make this a pretty solid approach. If you ever find yourself building scenes with multiple levels (like a cat walk or something like that) then each agent can have a reference to the 'object standing on'. You would ignore that object when doing the occlusion check.

This should work really well in dealing with the larger static structures.

As for the smaller little things like lamps, bushes, the little yellow glow thingies, or things like that you might be better off treating them as dynamic objects. There is a chance of having both a small object and an agent in the same cell where the grid approach could give a false position. Since you are using an ortho projection I think you'll be fine a simple distance to camera sort. Keep in mind you control the resolution of the grid so you can tweak it if you have any issues. Heck, you could even break the cells down into mini-cells like a quad tree if you need to.

Worst case scenario this approach gives you a really fast initial occlusion lookup and if you have an indeterminate result then you can drop down into less performant but more accurate technique.

As for particles you are right you could treat it them regular object. You might get by fine depending on what all kinds particles you plan on having. It really depends on what kind of look you'll be going for though and other unforseen factors as well.

You have your work cut out for you, that much is for sure. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Hey guys, whats the best way to create animated gifs of in game footage? I feel like there was some software mentioned recently but I can't find it.

IupBundle

Neo Member
Glad to find this thread!!

We posted up an article about the Terra Gnomes in our title The 9th Wizard: Rings of Eternity. These little guys are basically the building blocks of our story and the article sort of explains how and why.

TerraGnomeWEB_9WRE.png

Here's a link to the IndieDB article:

Feedback welcome! (just don't make me cry)

Thanks for sharing the GIF capture tool, I was looking for something like that in the past few days to share a small gif of my game

Just a quick look at one of my characters for a 2d puzzle game to be published on XBLIG this year

WitchIdleTest2_zpsce7a3a29.gif

if you want to check my development diary you can check my blog at http://mysticrivergames.blogspot.com/

Duderino

I'm back! Streaming at around 6:30 PST again for Air Dash Online. I got a lot of texturing done, but I still have his weapon left to do. For those of you catching up, this is in Unity using my custom shaders.

88UO327.jpg

Once again, thanks Clash Tournaments for hosting:

(Click Here to Watch)

zA5fXDb.gif

Posted the link to last weeks video by accident, you can watch yesterdays stream here. I personally will not be streaming next week, but it's possible another team member might. Want to mix it up so it's not just modeling and texturing all the time :).

Noogy

Alright fellas, assume for a moment that I'm an idiot. REALLY stretch your imagination. Ok, enough stretching.

I'm considering looking into Monogame to port my XNA game, and just to check on the viability of the platform for future project. Do I install and run Monogame like I did with XNA, ie as an extension of C# in Visual Studio? Or is it it's own... thing? I am comfortable with the current Visual C#/XNA setup and would like to stick with that. Thanks!

Alright fellas, assume for a moment that I'm an idiot. REALLY stretch your imagination. Ok, enough stretching.

I'm considering looking into Monogame to port my XNA game, and just to check on the viability of the platform for future project. Do I install and run Monogame like I did with XNA, ie as an extension of C# in Visual Studio? Or is it it's own... thing? I am comfortable with the current Visual C#/XNA setup and would like to stick with that. Thanks!

http://monogame.codeplex.com/releases/view/102870 If I'm reading this url properly, it can install it as a library, much like XNA. Visual Studio 2010+ though.

Duderino

Just in case people missed it, Unity Indie is finally getting the option for text based serialization (awesome news for version control) and real time shadows. There is certainly more I wish they would move over to free, but these are both major steps to help indie become less crippling.

Really excited about getting shadows. This should allow me to get the game looking as it would in Unity Pro, minus a few filters. I guess pro still has Beast light-mapping, but the spherical harmonics term built into my shaders will help make up for that. I'd much rather keep lighting completely dynamic anyways for the sake of non-static stages. Also light-mapping in Unity can be a real nightmare while working in a team environment. The map assignments constantly break across machines thanks to the info being stored in the scene file.

Feep

Banned
Interesting, thanks, yeah it seems that way. I'm guessing it's a matter of starting a new Visual Studio C#/Monogame solution and then importing your XNA solution? I'll tinker.
Mostly. As long as there's no crazy use of 2-D libraries, most stuff is supported and there isn't much code to change around...though it's certainly not as well optimized, so you may have to do some testing to see where things are slowing down, and try to correct them.

Also there's a massive headache where (as of a few months ago, at least), the MonoGame project *could not* use the XNA Content Pipeline. This means that in order to make the .XNB files, you need to compile all that stuff in an actual XNA project, then copy-and-paste the .XNB files over to the MonoGame project. Super annoying if you were actively developing, but if you're porting over a completed work, it isn't *too* bad.

Noogy

Mostly. As long as there's no crazy use of 2-D libraries, most stuff is supported and there isn't much code to change around...though it's certainly not as well optimized, so you may have to do some testing to see where things are slowing down, and try to correct them.

Also there's a massive headache where (as of a few months ago, at least), the MonoGame project *could not* use the XNA Content Pipeline. This means that in order to make the .XNB files, you need to compile all that stuff in an actual XNA project, then copy-and-paste the .XNB files over to the MonoGame project. Super annoying if you were actively developing, but if you're porting over a completed work, it isn't *too* bad.

Oh wow, that does sound annoying. Yeah, thankfully I'm just porting, for the most part. More than anything I'm hoping that this is simple way to dip my toes into iOS development.

How are you enjoying Unity? That's another option I'm hoping to dabble with later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom