• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's going to be tough choose the best games of this year, I'm sure the list will be well diversified.

Speaking of which, we'd technically need to do it in january, right? So we need to do the december voting first and do it simultaneously to the january thread. Am I thinking this right? It would probably also make sense to not have this voting IN the january thread as it will make the january thread horrible to read and people might not discuss january games in there, or vice versa. Currently leaning towards a dedicated thread in the community forums for game discussion and votings and then creating a thread infebruary for the 2013 results in the proper gaming section.

Kind of weird to do a best of write up 2 months late, but I dont really see a way around it.

It's going to be tough choose the best games of this year, I'm sure the list will be well diversified.
Oh definitely. My list already includes Teleglitch, Fancy Skulls, Outer Wilds, Broforce, Full Bore, Sang Froid, Fez

Need to play more Papers Please to form a better opinion

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh definitely. My list already includes Teleglitch, Fancy Skulls, Outer Wilds, Broforce, Full Bore, Sang Froid...(crap, Fez didn't release this year)

Need to play more Papers Please to form a better opinion

Fez PC did release this year. Its a PC voting list.

I need to play that sometime before 2014. I'm always on the fence whenever it goes on sale. If it gets a deep discount this Halloween then that's a solid possibility.
You missed the GMG sale a few weeks back? It was available for $5.

Edit: it's the kind of game where gameplay and atmosphere make it so good. The voice acting is so bad it's good and some of the loading is atrocious. But once you start playing and you're on the ground, in the dark, reloading while surrounded, and your bonfire goes out....

Toma

Just realized that. Damn, choosing a single GOTY is going to be tough

Hm, still thinking whether we do a weighted list for the GOTY voting, any comments on that?

Toma

Not exactly sure what you mean by weighted

20 points for 1. entry, 19 for 2nd, 18 for 3rd etc. Otherwise not the "best" game wins, but the game that most people played, even if its lands on the 20th spot in 50 different lists.

Not sure what would best here.

20 points for 1. entry, 19 for 2nd, 18 for 3rd etc. Otherwise not the "best" game wins, but the game that most people played, even if its lands on the 20th spot in 50 different lists.

I see. Yeah that would be more fair to lesser known games

Toma

I see. Yeah that would be more fair to lesser known games

On the other hand, this means way more effort for everyone involved as it means that we need to go through the hassle of actually... weighting our votes and putting one above another, could be really tough. I might allow same weighted votes if its up to 5 or something, like:

first 20
another first 20
third 18
fourth 17
fifth 16
another fifth 16
another fifth 16
eight 13

etcetc, but since its all of YOU doing the voting, I'd go with your opinion on that. What do the incredibly massive Indie masses say? Weighted or unweighted voting?

Speaking of which, we'd technically need to do it in january, right? So we need to do the december voting first and do it simultaneously to the january thread. Am I thinking this right? It would probably also make sense to not have this voting IN the january thread as it will make the january thread horrible to read and people might not discuss january games in there, or vice versa. Currently leaning towards a dedicated thread in the community forums for game discussion and votings and then creating a thread infebruary for the 2013 results in the proper gaming section.

Kind of weird to do a best of write up 2 months late, but I dont really see a way around it.

It makes sense to do a separated thread for voting but what about starting it around December third week and run it until middle January?

Weighted votes sounds interesting

So I've been playing more Ring Runner. It's really good. The story is both interesting and humorous and there's a huge variety in ship types and capabilities. I'm still on the early story missions, haven't made my own ship yet, but I've played as everything from a teleporting heavily armed ship to a weaponless vessel that uses gravity tethers (force powers) to a more evasion friendly type which can stop on a dime and leave a damaging plasma exhaust trail.

It plays more like an RPG than your usual dual stick space shooter. Definitely recommended if you haven't gotten it yet

I think it was Messofanego that played the Interference demo? Well:
news02.gif

Checkpoints are in! And you can lower yourself from a ledge now
Edit: not in the demo, but in the full game

daydream

Banned
On the other hand, this means way more effort for everyone involved as it means that we need to go through the hassle of actually... weighting our votes and putting one above another, could be really tough. I might allow same weighted votes if its up to 5 or something, like:

first 20
another first 20
third 18
fourth 17
fifth 16
another fifth 16
another fifth 16
eight 13

etcetc, but since its all of YOU doing the voting, I'd go with your opinion on that. What do the incredibly massive Indie masses say? Weighted or unweighted voting?

I'm against weighted voting. For me, ranking equally rich (yet conceptually different) experiences is impossible, e.g. Gone Home, Kentucky Route Zero and Volgarr. I'd have to roll dice or something.

Toma

I'm against weighted voting. For me, ranking equally rich (yet conceptually different) experiences is impossible, e.g. Gone Home, Kentucky Route Zero and Volgarr. I'd have to roll dice or something.

Would you be able to rank SOME games, while putting others in the same spot?

Lets say:

Reus 20 points!
gone home, KRZ, Volgarr 19 points!
fez 16 points!

Another option would be to allow both, but people who vote unweighted give 10 points for each game, while weighted voting gives 20-1 or something. This is tricky.

Cornerstone demo is available.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwxj8pUIk-hDMDkzUGE4VFUxUkk&usp=sharing

Here are my impressions for the game's thread:
Ok, so I played the demo a few times. Of course it's still unpolished and needs work but the gameplay is there and it's great. You have a lot of options and choices and ways to approach a situation. For example, in just the first area of this demo, there's a patrolling enemy. Here are the ways I got past him:
- Stealthily, avoid confrontation
- Sneak attack from behind
- Direct fight
- Throw a mine at him
- Set the mine on his patrol path and get out of sight
- Used the harpoon gun on my boat
- Totally avoid him and just go to another part of the island

The graphics are colorful and have a vibrant style. Using your boat is easy and fun. The demo area is quite large so if that's any indication of the full game, this is going to great.. There are no optimization or graphic options in the demo so it was a bit laggy for me, but manageable

Definitely give this a try

I'm pro weighted votes in the end of year round up. It's a harsher system, but one that I feel would lead to a more fair and interesting system results table and not one that is 20 of the most popular games all with equal votes on the top spot.

daydream

Banned
Would you be able to rank SOME games, while putting others in the same spot?

Lets say:

Reus 20 points!
gone home, KRZ, Volgarr 19 points!
fez 16 points!

Another option would be to allow both, but people who vote unweighted give 10 points for each game, while weighted voting gives 20-1 or something. This is tricky.

Another idea would be this (from one of the GAF top 100 threads):

GAME RANKING METHOD: Each voter was allowed to choose up to 10 RPGs, and 5 additional honorable mentions, that they felt were must play games. Votes were ranked using a semi-weighted scale, where regular votes were worth 2 points and honorable mentions worth 1 point. Each poster was also given the option to highlight a single game on their list for one extra bonus point (giving it 3 points in total). In instances where two or more games in the Top 50 had an equal number of points, the number of 3-point highlights a title received was used as a tie breaker. Failing this, the game with the fewest number of honorable mentions was listed first.

I'd prefer this ruleset, since you don't have to highlight a game, if you don't want to, and there's still the 2/1 point scale. We could do top 10 + 10 honorable mentions for example. Something to think about for sure.

Toma

Another idea would be this (from one of the GAF top 100 threads):

I'd prefer this ruleset, since you don't have to highlight a game, if you don't want to, and there's still the 2/1 point scale. We could do top 10 + 10 honorable mentions for example. Something to think about for sure.

Is that so different from what I just explained? You could have multiple games on the same spot, giving them the same amount of points.

daydream

Banned
Is that so different from what I just explained? You could have multiple games on the same spot, giving them the same amount of points.

I guess you're right. So there'd be no limit on how many games I can give the same amount of points to?

Btw I'd participate regardless of the voting system, so feel free to ignore my headaches. ;)

Toma

I guess you're right. So there'd be no limit on how many games I can give the same amount of points to?

Btw I'd participate regardless of the voting system, so feel free to ignore my headaches. ;)

Not sure, still thinking about that. Good thing I still have lots of time for that.

Miletius

Would there be any interest in a Democracy 3 OT? I got one whipped up if there's interest.

I'd be interested, but admittedly I probably won't buy the game until it's on sale. I also really want to get a more in depth look at the mechanics of managing the democracy before jumping in as well.

Site | Greenlight | Trailer
IGS | Desura | Kickstarter (funded)
3089 is a futuristic action role-playing game, featuring randomly generated terrain, quests, robots, enemies, items, buildings and more. Items and weapons can be customized and broken down into parts -- find the rarest parts and put them together to make an amazing gun or set of armor! Hop from tree to tree with a grappling hook, or teleport between cover while being stealthy with a special blade...

* More procedural generation: smooth biomes and textures
* Cool abilities like time warp, cloaking, short-range teleporting & more
* Randomly generated vehicles, from small transports to large gunships
* Friendly & aggressive robots that range from small to very large
* Weapon construction & customization based on individual parts
* Unique building features with blocks placed at any size or rotation
* Varied combat scenarios mixing stealth, melee and projectile weapons
* Limitless unique terrain in all directions
* Dynamic lighting, shadows & smooth day / night transitions
* Smooth weather system including dangerous lightning & realistic rain

ss_sundown.png
ss_night.png

Toma

j0G2gVD.jpg

Anyone tried Spacebase DF-9? Its Doublefines Dwarf Fortress style space simulation currently on steam early access for 23€. I am.. tempted to say the least. Considering they basically made the game I cried for about 3 months ago in these threads I feel obligated to buy it:

In case it wasnt obvious yet, I have a thing for space games. Kinetic Void is nice to look at and has a pretty neat ship editor considering the current state of the game:

Now who programs me a Dwarf Fortress in Space.

I think I did something very bad to my brain just now.
*marvels at the idea*

Yeah, definitely looking forward to that, but I was thinking more of a spacestation in a 3D space world kinda setup where you build more parts of the space station while your people need to venture out grabbing ressources. Anyway, I should check up on what Maia is doing.

Toma

Hey Toma, if you do buy it, make sure you're getting that 20% off discount. If you don't get that, maybe try picking it up directly. The discount should be similar.

Cant see that 20$ price anywhere that people seem to mention. Where do people see it with the discount? The lowest on that site is 25$ for me.

Nabs

Cant see that 20$ price anywhere that people seem to mention. Where do people see it with the discount? The lowest on that site is 25$ for me.

It's 20% off on Steam for me. I think you're supposed to get it if you own other DF games on Steam, but it seems glitched out for some people.

j0G2gVD.jpg

Anyone tried Spacebase DF-9? Its Doublefines Dwarf Fortress style space simulation currently on steam early access for 23€. I am.. tempted to say the least. Considering they basically made the game I cried for about 3 months ago in these threads I feel obligated to buy it:

No 3D, no buy :p

A mechanically more complex game from Double Fine, I'm down for that. Now watching that 39min tutorial walkthrough.

So we're going to have three sci-fi colony building games vying for supremacy this year? Maia, Spacebase, and RimWorld?

You guys already know which camp I'm in...

Toma

So we're going to have three sci-fi colony building games vying for supremacy this year? Maia, Spacebase, and RimWorld?

You guys already know which camp I'm in...

Maia isnt even in the same stratosphere. RimWorld looks great too however. RimWorld looks like it has more depth, whereas Spacebase trumps with polish and accessibility from what I see atm. But still, both look very promising, cant wait for more updates on Spacebase to see in which direction they want to go with this game.

Oh and... "this year"? I dont think any of these three games officially releases this year.

Maia isnt even in the same stratosphere. RimWorld looks great too however. RimWorld looks like it has more depth, whereas Spacebase trumps with polish and accessibility from what I see atm. But still, both look very promising, cant wait for more updates on Spacebase to see in which direction they want to go with this game.

Oh and... "this year"? I dont think any of these three games officially releases this year.
Well I'd consider Early Access as "released" and I have my fingers crossed that the Rimworld public alpha comes out sometime this year. Don't know about Maia

And yeah from what I've been reading on the forums, RimWorld already has a crazy amount of death. I mean, you can take prisoners, execute them to keep the rest in line through fear or try to convice them to join your colony/draft them as soldiers, enslave them. The game even has an emergent ecology
These Muffalo had been grazing in that closed-off area the whole game. So they’d largely denuded the area of grass. This left a lot of open space for the Saguaro cactus (which they don’t eat) to reproduce into, leading to a cactus boom.

Any Tetrobot impressions yet? Blocks That Matter looked cool but this seems very mobile game-esque compared to BTM's puzzle platformer style

So on Thursday, I'll be posting my 100th article on my blog. I was thinking of starting an opinion piece section. Articles about topics like why stealth is empowering, why roguelikes/difficult games are appealing, why I don't rate games, stuff like that. Do you think people would want to read that or even care?

First impressions after playing are an immediate thumbs up from me. Nothing like the mess that was the Maia Alpha.

Nice. Looking forward to squeezing in some time tonight. Dunno how you guys get the time to devote to all these games!

Swear it's some sort of time dilation chamber and a laptop.

Wok

Any Tetrobot impressions yet? Blocks That Matter looked cool but this seems very mobile game-esque compared to BTM's puzzle platformer style

It is very mobile-like indeed. You play with the mouse only (although controllers are supported) by indicating the location you want the robot to go, then the robot finds the optimal path and goes there, which means you have to click twice or three times for the robot to avoid some shorter paths. The puzzles do get hard really quickly. I would say it is similar to the first Toki Tori (there is even a rewind option), except consumable powers have been replaced with game mechanics (as in Toki Tori 2 in fact).

You can now pre-order Contrast on Steam! I had no idea it was coming out this soon.

If you pre-order it now before it releases on Nov. 15th, you can get it for 25% off as well as receiving the Collector's Edition goodies:

montageEN.png

Lamptramp

First impressions after playing are an immediate thumbs up from me. Nothing like the mess that was the Maia Alpha.

Thats encouraging and annoying in equal measure, like you its the game I've wanted for a while, but I'd promised myself I'd not buckle under the pressure and buy it...

Curse my weak will. Doesn't help that I'm working from home today too :)

Top Bottom