• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Played some of the Luxuria Superbia demo, gave my impressions.

ibpK7pYcvktCOg.jpg

Hofmann

Exogenesis - Perils of Rebirth - Ace Attorney/Zero Escape-type game which combines the compelling story-telling of visual novels and engaging puzzles of adventure games.

Regret - I have finally noticed that my description from few months back was not correct. So, Regret is psychological survival-horror, mechanically similar to Resident Evil games. One of the more interesting aspects is the bond build between our protagonist and his pet fox. This relationship helps him to overcome emotional state his in, caused by a death of his mother, which could be used against him, otherwise.

Vildhjarta - This indie RPG game is a remake of Riotminds beloved paper and pen role playing game for “Drakar och demoner” (Dragons and demons) called Vildhjarta (wildheart) and is the name of the dark and mysterious forrest the adventure takes place.

The Wanderer - Survival game that puts you in the shoes of a robot that is trying to escape a dying planet. As you explore the failed colony you will uncover it's many stories, find items to aid you in your journey, and come across other robots that were left behind; some good, some bad. How you survive and how you escape the planet are left up to you; this is your story.

Ascendant - 2.5D side-scroller that combines the depth and randomness of roguelikes, and the fast-paced action of beat 'em ups, with the ability to convert enemies to fight with you.

Maily & Parcel - Your main mission is to restore love and happiness to a world shrouded in a mist of sadness, which is inhabited by a peaceful tribe of Effelants, smaller cousins of elephants,

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Saw this yesterday. Absolutely incredible. I'd think this was a AAA next gen title if I didn't know it was an indie game from a small team. Amazing

Well thats a bit of a huge hyperbole, the graphics arent THAT good and the animation is a bit janky, but I agree it looks good.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Am I crazy or this creature's eyeholes are empty?

I think its the way too bright reflection of the sky color which looks like they are "empty" because there is also sky behind it.

Tain

I wonder if their goals are to just recreate Monster Hunter or if they have any cool differences planned.

Toma

I wonder if their goals are to just recreate Monster Hunter or if they have any cool differences planned.

Well, recreating a proper decent monster hunter clone on PC would be cool in itself.

Hofmann

Played some of the Luxuria Superbia demo, gave my impressions.

I'm sad as we probably won't see this game on Steam in the foreseeable future - according to ToT it's getting more negative votes than the positive ones. I've never really understood this kind of behaviour. When I'm not interested in a game I simply don't vote for it. It's also another proof that Greenlight sucks in its current form, when a well known company which has released many games before on the platform has to prove their value (commercial?) over and over again.

HOLY SHIT at that Canto gif.

Made a gif from that gameplay video.
ibmMP4E481gLWu.gif

I'm sad as we probably won't see this game on Steam in the foreseeable future - according to ToT it's getting more negative votes than the positive ones. I've never really understood this kind of behaviour. When I'm not interested in a game I simply don't vote for it. It's also another proof that Greenlight sucks in its current form, when a well known company which has released many games before on the platform has to prove their value (commercial?) over and over again.

I haven't followed it that closely, but really over this game?! The most accessible Tale of Tales game ever? You've got to be a mega prude to get worked over a game where you're going into a flower and there is some suggestive text.

Keasar

Vildhjarta - This indie RPG game is a remake of Riotminds beloved paper and pen role playing game for “Drakar och demoner” (Dragons and demons) called Vildhjarta (wildheart) and is the name of the dark and mysterious forrest the adventure takes place.

Holy shit someone is making a computer RPG based on Riotminds Drakar och Demoner!? One of the best PnP RPGs ever! I have never fallen in love with a world as much as I have with Trudvang and its mysteries, with real actual trolls (Scandinavian ones) instead of those American "Derp derp bash" ones.

I made a post about one of my favorite books in the game in the PnP RPG thread.
With some illustrations of the absolutely fantastic creatures you can meet in there.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
The question is "Would you buy this game if it were available on Steam?", and answering honestly instead of pretending the question wasn't asked isn't a malicious action.

I wouldn't be surprised if LS gets waved through by a Valve employee who ends up falling in lust with it, but if the majority of users who look at a game indicate that they don't have any interest in buying it...it doesn't make much sense to prioritize getting that game on your service ahead of games that have been received more positively.

Hofmann

The question is "Would you buy this game if it were available on Steam?", and answering honestly instead of pretending the question wasn't asked isn't a malicious action.

I wouldn't be surprised if LS gets waved through by a Valve employee who ends up falling in lust with it, but if the majority of users who look at a game indicate that they don't have any interest in buying it...it doesn't make much sense to prioritize getting that game on your service ahead of games that have been received more positively.

I wouldn't do it myself knowing that the future of a developer might depend on this action, as Steam, I believe, is on a road to monopolize PC market. That just doesn't feel right, even if I don't care about a game at all.

As for the second part, on the contrary, I think it makes a great sense for a company like Steam to diversify their service, otherwise they will exclude a big portion of the potential customers, like me for example, following only the current trends shaped by the majority. As it is Greenlight should be an addition to the old curation system in my opinion.

You are in for a major treat.
I only just got the perspective switch ability (
screen glitching/restart
was a cool little moment) and haven't left the village yet and I'm already impressed. The perspective changing never gets old and the pixel graphics are top notch.

And I unlocked a room with drawings on the wall. Knowing this game, it has to mean something...

Edit: do you think Papers Please will be discounted more than 40% during one of the big upcoming Sales?

Toma

I only just got the perspective switch ability (
screen glitching/restart
was a cool little moment) and haven't left the village yet and I'm already impressed. The perspective changing never gets old and the pixel graphics are top notch.

And I unlocked a room with drawings on the wall. Knowing this game, it has to mean something...

Edit: do you think Papers Please will be discounted more than 40% during one of the big upcoming Sales?

50-66 in winter sale probably.

Maybe, but dude it's $6. Just get it now, and at least play it by the end of the year before GOTY debates start ;)
Only got $20 in my Steam Wallet and $15 on my Visa Gift Card and I'm waiting for The Stanley Parable, Pixeljunk Shooter, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Teslagrad, Claire, and Windforge...

Paz

I wouldn't do it myself knowing that the future of a developer might depend on this action, as Steam, I believe, is on a road to monopolize PC market. That just doesn't feel right, even if I don't care about a game at all.

As for the second part, on the contrary, I think it makes a great sense for a company like Steam to diversify their service, otherwise they will exclude a big portion of the potential customers, like me for example, following only the current trends shaped by the majority. As it is Greenlight should be an addition to the old curation system in my opinion.

"No" votes have zero effect on a games greenlight campaign, as stated by Valve many times. Voting "No" just means that game won't come up again for that user when looking through random greenlight games, which is a good thing.

Hofmann

"No" votes have zero effect on a games greenlight campaign, as stated by Valve many times. Voting "No" just means that game won't come up again for that user when looking through random greenlight games, which is a good thing.

Facepalm, lol.

That's a good thing to hear, thanks for clarifying.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Ah, that's where you and I differ wildly. Steam may have a lot of mind and market share, but that doesn't make any kind of enforceable monopoly on such an open platform. That's not even talking about going to other platforms.

Think of Apple's iTunes. There are still plenty of other places you can find and buy music. Customers with niche tastes get fed up with not having those tastes catered to and start looking outside the big services. That's why I'm here. :)

The vast, vast majority of Steam users don't look at Greenlight. Do you remember the early days of the service? The comments section of something like LS would have been full of derision. "...Are these devs seriously trying to put a screensaver on Steam?" "lol looks like an app store game, stay on mobile", "Fucking indie non-games, GTFO".

Those people have stopped even caring. We're down to the people who are genuinely interested in new or niche titles here. So when the minority that cares enough to actually sift through Greenlight and vote still isn't interested in buying a particular game...the implication is that the portion of potential customers being excluded is anything but big.

I can sympathize with being part of a very small audience; I've given up hope on seeing the Alltynex series Steam-side. At least Luxuria Superbia seems like the perfect type of game to become an IGF finalist and get on Steam that way. Pretty sure that's what happened with Bientôt l’été.

Ah, that's where you and I differ wildly. Steam may have a lot of mind and market share, but that doesn't make any kind of enforceable monopoly on such an open platform. That's not even talking about going to other platforms.

Think of Apple's iTunes. There are still plenty of other places you can find and buy music. Customers with niche tastes get fed up with not having those tastes catered to and start looking outside the big services. That's why I'm here. :)

The vast, vast majority of Steam users don't look at Greenlight. Do you remember the early days of the service? The comments section of something like LS would have been full of derision. "...Are these devs seriously trying to put a screensaver on Steam?" "lol looks like an app store game, stay on mobile", "Fucking indie non-games, GTFO".

Those people have stopped even caring. We're down to the people who are genuinely interested in new or niche titles here. So when the minority that cares enough to actually sift through Greenlight and vote still isn't interested in buying a particular game...the implication is that the portion of potential customers being excluded is anything but big.

I can sympathize with being part of a very small audience; I've given up hope on seeing the Alltynex series Steam-side. At least Luxuria Superbia seems like the perfect type of game to become an IGF finalist and get on Steam that way. Pretty sure that's what happened with Bientôt l’été.
But that minority is still pretty big. For example, the Rimworld dev was sharing their current Greenlight stats (at #9): 24,000+ total votes, 18,700 Yes votes, 4,700 No votes. If I understand properly, you can only vote for a game once. So that's over 18,000 people interested in one game. Imagine what the stats were for a game like SuperHOT (fastest Greenlit title) or Rogue Legacy.

Hofmann

I might be wrong as I don't have any data, but I always thought that, generally, non-Steam games sales are negligible compared to those on Steam. Maybe for me as a customer it's not a big deal, like you wrote, as I could go somewhere else, but smaller devs of less popular kind of games might think differently.

I can sympathize with being part of a very small audience; I've given up hope on seeing the Alltynex series Steam-side.

It's one vote closer now for that to happen.

I did not know this, nice bit of info nugget.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I might be wrong as I don't have any data, but I always thought that, generally, non-Steam games sales are negligible compared to those on Steam. Maybe for me as a customer it's not a big deal, like you wrote, as I could go somewhere else, but smaller devs of less popular kind of games might think differently.
PC gaming is a 20+ billion dollar market. Steam is about 1 billion of it.

Fez has the visually coolest level design I've played since Bastion. This is amazing
---

And on a humorous side note, someone in the Rimworld OT asked if I have "some kind of relationship to these devs". Is that what I get for being a passionate indie gamer trying to spread the word and inform others? lol

Toma

Fez has the visually coolest level design I've played since Bastion. This is amazing
---

And on a humorous side note, someone in the Rimworld OT asked if I have "some kind of relationship to these devs". Is that what I get for being a passionate indie gamer trying to spread the world and inform others? lol

Yeah, countless times I have already been asked the same thing. I was also called an undercover employee of a few indie studios already since I was pushing them so hard. *shakes head*

Well, you guys do push pretty hard, but I tell you what...

I'll take your encouraging indie fervour over the fetid triple-A orgies we see en masse around here and the press in general any day of the week.

Yeah, countless times I have already been asked the same thing. I was also called an undercover employee of a few indie studios already since I was pushing them so hard. *shakes head*
Huh, first time it happened to me. I just find it pretty funny. All my indie game threads are like that (i.e. a lot of info and I try to answer as many questions as possible)

Actually I've made more threads than I realized: Death Road, Sunless Sea, Sang Froid, Broforce, Cornerstone, Proxy Blade, Tower of Guns, and handful of others. I think I have to resurrect my Edge of Space thread, it has 0 posts.

And on a humorous side note, someone in the Rimworld OT asked if I have "some kind of relationship to these devs". Is that what I get for being a passionate indie gamer trying to spread the word and inform others? lol

Yeah, I've been asked this from quite a few developers :p

Twinduct

---

Gaf is on a witchhunt for any shilling. Console warriors poisoned the good nature of fandom. Can't really fantome that hyping up a lesser known game does not directly translate to some upper hand in the sales age threads.

Having said that, I'd downright shill the shit out of Rimworld (not that it needs it).

Paz

If anybody wants to become an undercover agent for me I'd be willing to split 25% of all my wealth*.

*Current bank balance -1300, by accepting this offer you agree to give me money.

:p

I think it's great that people are so passionate about indie games because the barrier between gamer/creator is almost non existent in this space. I've had a few people who bought Cactus add me on steam and talk my ear off, and there are games I played at EGX that I fully intend to start love-in threads about when I get the time and harass their creators :)

Twinduct

Gah, looking for a god game ... and Godus is sounded pretty tempting right now. Saw that they've reworked the flow so no more billion clicks or F2P stuff going on.

But then again it is 20 dollars. I could buy like a medium sized shrubbery with that :/

If anybody wants to become an undercover agent for me I'd be willing to split 25% of all my wealth*.

*Current bank balance -1300, by accepting this offer you agree to give me money.

:p

I think it's great that people are so passionate about indie games because the barrier between gamer/creator is almost non existent in this space. I've had a few people who bought Cactus add me on steam and talk my ear off, and there are games I played at EGX that I fully intend to start love-in threads about when I get the time and harass their creators :)
Well Cactus is awesome. Yeah that's one of the reasons I'm so fond of the indie scene: the proximity between dev and community. You get to see that these guys are human and humble, not a giant faceless company that wants to push a business model (cough EA F2P IOS games, micro transactions cough). Having such a direct link with creators on Greenlight, or GAF, or their forums really makes me appreciate their work even more.

Dascu

Gah, looking for a god game ... and Godus is sounded pretty tempting right now. Saw that they've reworked the flow so no more billion clicks or F2P stuff going on.

But then again it is 20 dollars. I could buy like a medium sized shrubbery with that :/

Reus and From Dust are fairly decent.

Toma

If you are fine with some puzzle elements in a light strategy game with lots and lots of charme - play some more Reus! You probably already bought it anyway and played it less than 2 hours, so go play that :p

If you want a very different sort of God Game, do try Skyward Collapse. It's not for everyone and is a bit of a paradigm shift, but a fascinating experiment.

Moobabe

---

Fez is one of the best games I've played in recent years - indie or otherwise.

What a game... wow.

Toma

If you want a very different sort of God Game, do try Skyward Collapse. It's not for everyone and is a bit of a paradigm shift, but a fascinating experiment.

They had a bunch of patches since I last played, I should give it another try.

They had a bunch of patches since I last played, I should give it another try.

Such a strange one. I don't think it's particularly successful, but it's goddamn interesting - and even the most noble of intricate failures feature far more intrigue than beveled, focus-tested million dollar throwaways. That intrigue is my measurement.

Regarding Arcen, I'm really happy with Bionic Dues and intrigued by that new project of theirs, Starport 28. Apparently a sim, and I hope to high heaven it's some sort of orbital base construction and management sim. Would spatter my breeches until there was nothing but blood and air fizzling through my battered lance., were this the case.

Moobabe

Here's the deal - I got about £20 in my steam wallet and I want to treat myself (I might have one of two jobs at the end of the week, more details later)

This is my selection of gaming needs:

Stanley Parable
Wolf Among Us
Football Manager 2014
Paper's Please (Oh shit this is on sale today..)
Starseed Pilgrim
Deadly Premonition
NUCLEAR THRONE

Not all indies I know - but this place has the best taste on the forum.

Here's the deal - I got about £20 in my steam wallet and I want to treat myself (I might have one of two jobs at the end of the week, more details later)

Stanley Parable
Wolf Among Us
Football Manager 2014
Starseed Pilgrim
Deadly Premonition
NUCLEAR THRONE

I'd go Wolf Among Us, personally.

Toma

Stanley Parable
Wolf Among Us
Football Manager 2014
Starseed Pilgrim
Deadly Premonition
NUCLEAR THRONE

FM14 for 20? Where?

I'd definitely go with Starseed and papers (i mean its on sale..), Havent played wolf among us and its probably a great game, but like nuclear throne will likely be 33-50% cheaper in the upcoming steam sale, which is quite a decent saving.

Moobabe

FM14 for 20? Where?

I'd definitely go with Starseed and papers (i mean its on sale..), Havent played wolf among us and its probably a great game, but like nuclear throne will likely be 33-50% cheaper in the upcoming steam sale, which is quite a decent saving.

It's not 20, but I mean I could put that 20 towards FM.

Stanley Parable
Wolf Among Us
Football Manager 2014
Starseed Pilgrim
Deadly Premonition
NUCLEAR THRONE

As someone who missed out on the initial release schedule of The Walking Dead, I'd go with The Wolf Among Us. It has all of the best aspects of TWD so far with some of the best art direction I've seen this year. But with the end of the year drawing near, a little bit of list making bias is making me want to change my mind. Stanley Parable has the makings of something great, and going by the demo, it shouldn't be missed. Also, Paper's Please is great, but you'll probably be able to get it for much cheaper during the holidays. I've still yet to play Starseed Pilgrim sadly.

Top Bottom