• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Temperature check - Top 10 games you played in 2024

Robb

Gold Member
1 Balatro
2 Paper Mario TTYD Remake
3 Thank Goodness You’re Here
4 Splatoon 3
5 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
6 Halo Infinite
7 No More Heroes 3
8 Super Mario RPG Remaster

Currently playing the new Zelda, so not sure how I’d rank that yet. It’s pretty great so far though.

I won’t even bother putting Hellblade 2 on the list despite not having a complete top 10. That game was a huge disappointment.

Last edited:

Roberts

The order could change any minute. Mostly based on memory of how I enjoyed the games while I was playing them.

Hellblade 2
Flintlock
Jedi Survivor
Curse of the Golden Idol
Blasphemous 2
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Dungeons of Hintenberg
Age of Mythology
Humanity
Harold Halibut

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
1. Minishoot Adventures
2. Space Marine 2
3. Astro Bot
4. Last Epoch
5. Helldivers 2
6. Visions of Mana

Honestly those are the only ones I’ve played that I liked enough to put on my list.

Best of 2024, no order:
FFVII Rebirth, Astro Bot, Stellar Blade, FFVI, Alan Wake II, Persona 3 Reload, Metal Gear Solid, Cocoon, Hotline Miami, Animal Well.
And Doom + Doom II, after that PS5 update (so goddamn good)

Upcoming:
Unicorn Overlord, Neva, Warhammer 40K Space Marine 2, System Shock Remake, Squirrel With A Gun

Regginator

First time playing through them in 2024:
  1. MGS V: The Phantom Pain (9/10)
  2. Sekiro (9/10)
  3. Animal Well (9/10)
  4. Resident Evil 2 Remake (8/10)
  5. Ghost of Tsushima (7/10)
  6. Red Dead Redemption 2 (7/10)
  7. Dragon Quest XI S (7/10)
  8. Assassin's Creed Mirage (7/10)
  9. MGS V: Ground Zeroes (7/10)
  10. Resident Evil 3 Remake (6/10)

rotorfire

Neo Member
Nice thread, discovered a few new games to check-out :)

My list in no particular order:

1. Unicorn Overlord
2. Wuthering Waves
3. Space Marine 2
4. Persona 3 Reloaded
5. Stellar Blade
6. WoW Classic Hardcore (don't you judge me)
7. Walkabout Mini Golf (VR Quest 3, how I catch-up with the father)
8. Synthriderz (VR Quest 3, always out when friends are visiting)
9. Albion Online (EU server launch)
10. Monster Hunter World (replayed it with a static group of friends)

foamdino

• Unicorn Overlord
  • Gran Blue Fantasy Relink
  • Baldur's Gate 3 (unfinished)
  • Helldivers 2 (unfinished)
  • Astrobot (unfinished)
  • Pillars of Eternity 2
  • Death must Die
  • Octopath Traveller 2
  • Trails of Cold Steel
  • Hogwarts Legacy
No particular order

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
  1. Ghost of Tsushima
  2. Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
  3. Final Fantasy XVI
  4. Still Wakes the Deep
  5. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  6. Tchia
  7. Red Dead Redemption
  8. Teardown
  9. RoboCop: Rogue City
  10. Alan Wake II: Night Springs DLC

Blindy

Will keep a strong 10 of this year but will put in italic a game from year(s) past and where it'd rank...

1) Astro Bot
Lies of P
2) Persona 3 Reload
3) Elden Ring DLC: Shadow of the Erdtree
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2
Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights
Tails of Iron

4) Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
5) Stellar Blade
6) Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
7) Turnip Boy Robs a Bank
8) Animal Well
9) Emio: The Smiling Man
10) Tales of Kanzera: Zau

Last edited:

YuLY

Space Marine 2
Robocop Rogue City
Trepang2

^ Games like they used to make in the good old days of the ps360 era. Not much else worth mentioning, I replayed some older stuff that I love but those dont count, the ones that I listed were first time playthroughs.

I just focused on games I played that also released this year to make it easier.

1. Stellar Blade
2. Shadow of the Erdtree
3. Astro Bot
4. Zelda Echoes of Wisdom
5. Tekken 8
6. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door remake
7. Persona 3 Reload
8. GranBlue Fantasy Relink
9. Rise of the Ronin
10. FF7 Rebirth

Sentenza

The notable things I played would be

- Black Myth Wukong
- Space Marine 2
- Dave The Diver (which I think was a 2023 game...?)
- I gave another go to Rogue Trader and finished a new playthrough of BG3, but both were previous year releases.
- Shadow of the Erdtree
- Dragon's Dogma 2

The first one is easily my persona contender for GOTY at the moment, the second I'm enjoying it a lot but it also has a lot of limitations.
Dragon's Dogma 2 was my "disappointment of the year": a 13-years-late sequel that was supposed to improve on the original and turned out to be almost a remake of it, which also did the same exact mistakes of the first and then some more.

Branded

2. Warhammer 40k: Boltgun
This game suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Had high hopes for it but the level design is ass and the gunplay and combat weren't much to write home about either. Played it from start to finish and really was one of the more phoned in Boomer Shooters. If you're into Blood you'll probably enjoy Cultic as well (if you haven't already). It's 10 times the game Boltgun is.

I have too much, i only buy games if on sale (unless it's a top tier release, i wait, silent hill 2 remake will be a day 1 for me)

1. Songs of Syx - great indy city builder - pc
2. Unicorn overlord -switch amazing awesome game!!!
3. Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks - just bought a bucket of ps2 games at antique/retro store, and this gem was in it, never knew it existed. Amazing game!!!
4. Cult of the lamb (fun fun fun)
5. Balatro, - fun until you get to far and it's just feels impossible.
6. Doom 1 and 2 - playing on switch, although I liked the first releases better, as the sound on these is dull. They really need a patch and its been a few months with no patch, wtf bethesda, why are you guys so slow with anything?
7. Lollipop chainsaw repop - never played the original, awesome fun game, glad it was not censored. early 2000s humor and raunchiness. Strange how we fell from that to woke.
8. City Skylines 2 - waiting for more content, but i love city builders
9. Farthest Frontier - almost 1.0 great city builder with combat.
10. Workers and Resources a Soviet Republic - ussr city builder
11. No mans sky
12. Brotato (repeat just mindless chill game)

Some notable mentions...games i just got but haven't played a ton yet (got a box of ps2/GC/Wii for under $70 from antique store, some notable mentions from the bundle (felt like i hit the jackpot and went back in time playing these):
- Xenosaga
- Ape escape 3
- Soul Calibur 2
- Rune Viking warrior (so far seems like pc game i remember)
- 007 From Russia with Love for game cube
- Little King's story - wii
- Arc the Lad 3
- Rygar

Some games I got on pc but haven't tried yet:
- Caticlismo
- Lunacid
- Caves of Qud
- Hands of necromancy (hexen type game)
- Hexguardian
- Wizordum
- Enshrouded
- Terraformers
- Jagged Alliance 3
- Skald against the black priory

This game suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Had high hopes for it but the level design is ass and the gunplay and combat weren't much to write home about either. Played it from start to finish and really was one of the more phoned in Boomer Shooters. If you're into Blood you'll probably enjoy Cultic as well (if you haven't already). It's 10 times the game Boltgun is.

so far im enyoing Bolt Gun. Will look at Cultic, thanks.

Bond007

No particular order/ and based on my enjoyment this year and playtime.

Helldivers 2
MLB The Show 24
Astro Bot
Skull and Bones- yes
Destiny 2
NBA 2K25
Metal Gear Solid 1 - Part of Master Collection - replay
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Ghost of Tsushima replay
Mortal Kombat 1

Branded

so far im enyoing Bolt Gun. Will look at Cultic, thanks.
Game just overstays its welcome as well, becomes an absolute chore. I played it on the highest difficulty and the only thing that changes (afaik) is that it turns the enemies in into bullet sponges.

Cultic, INSICION, Slayers X, Voidborn, Ion Fury and especially Viscerafest are all far superior imo. However if you end up enjoying Boltgun then power to ya!

Last edited:

SpokkX

So far. Not every game release in 2024, Rogue trader is pretty much a 2024 release though.. at release in 2023 it was pretty much early access

1. Total War: Warhammer 3 (Immortal empires campaign is the best strategy game ever made imo)
2. Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader (CRPG like Baludrs Gate 3 but 40K. Just amazing - a bit less budget though obviously)
3. Helldivers (best multiplayer since Halo 2)
4. Astro Bot (Nintendo quality)
5. Warhammer 40K Space Marine (loved it overall)
6. Warhammer 40K Boltgun (my favorite og Doom-clone now)
7. Elden Ring: Shadow of the erdtree (with seamless coop mod)
8. Zelda Echoes (seems really good, barely started)

Not worthy of a place on the list
Dragons Dogma 2 - an unfinished game really. An absolute mess
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - an ubisoft game with Kingdom Hearts story. Hated it. Was so bored playing it

Last edited:

Alan Wake

1. Astro Bot
2. Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
3. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
4. Alone in the Dark
5. Lego City Undercover
6. The Invincible
7. Epic Mickey Rebrushed
8. Still Wakes the Deep
9. Nobody Wants to Die
10. Close to the Sun

And lots of retro titles. Astro Bot is by far the best game I've played this year, and Alone in the Dark the most underrated.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Ten games!?
aint nobody got time for that GIF

tommib

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - an ubisoft game really with Kingdom Hearts story. Hated it
I was actually going to get this when the Pro is released but this description completely puts me off. I did love FF16 but felt indifferent to FF7 Remake. Guess I’ll forget Rebirth for a while.

ShadowNate

- Into The Breach (played the additional content of the Advanced Edition. I love this game)
- Riven Remake (2004). It's still Riven, good but not as amazing as it was in 1997. Bad CGI models instead of FMV actors this time.
- Resident Evil 3: Remake. Great game, exactly as long as I'd like it to not overstay its welcome. I do want to revisit the original though, now that's on GOG.
- Zero Escape: 999. It was fun. Got all endings, some were nonsensical. Not sure I want to play the rest of the series.
- Myst III Exile. Good with some tedious puzzles. Honestly the worse thing about it was the obscure paths to navigate around its worlds.
- I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream (an old classic game. Played through all but one of characters. Did not finish it yet)
- As Dusk Falls (good start, super-meh finish with a hook for a sequel that's never to be)
- The Saboteur. (I've been "playing" this since about a decade ago. I return to it, play for a couple of hours, and then leave it. Usually I attempt something completely stupid that gets me killed and resets my progress back to how I left it a year ago.
- Batman Origins. Started it, played about an hour. Not sure if I'll finish it. I remember liking the first one (Asylum) up until the last battle which was bullshit.
- Control (I wanted to like it, I tried to like it, but the combat and the "bullet" sponge enemies are a turn off. Played for a few hours then uninstalled).

Pejo

So just games I played this year, not necessarily games that came out this year?

Not sure if I'll hit 10 honestly. In no particular order:

• SMTVengence
  • The First Descendant
  • Stellar Blade
  • Ender Lilies
  • Visions of Mana
  • Tekken 8
  • Granblue Vs Rising
  • Wuthering Waves

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Been busier than usual so haven't been able to play many games this year, but (in no particular order, apart from #1):
  1. Astrobot (no question. my GOTY)
  2. Hades 2
  3. Helldivers 2
  4. Prince of Persia The Lost Crown
  5. Black Myth Wukong
  6. Jedi Survivor
  7. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  8. The Plucky Squire
I don't think the other games I played - which I played this year and didn't like much - deserve to be on a list like this.

cireza

Witch on the Holy Night : what an amazing VN. Loved every minute of it. Incredible production values.
Tsukihime : another VN, currently nearing completion, however it was not as good, but still worth noting.
Tomb Raider I II III Remastered : completed II and III, currently playing I. Loved it, one of my favorite releases in recent years.
Star Ocean 2R : what a delight this RPG was. Awesome pacing, no BS, divine OST by Sakuraba.
Dead Cells, played it a ton and still playing it.
Capcom Fighting Collection : very solid release, happy to get to play Night Warriors again (my favorite entry in the series). Looking forward to X-Men COTA.
Quite a bit of Nintendo Switch Online too, especially MegaDrive goodness !

Looking forward to Sonic x Shadow, game is going to be awesome.
Keeping an eye on Bleach too.

1. Helldivers II
2. Warhammer 40k: Boltgun
3. Blood Fresh Supply
4. Doom II RTX
5. Warhammer 40k: Space Marine 2
6. RealRTCW
7. PUBG
8. Soul Calibur 2 GC version
9. Battlefield: 2042
10: Titanfall 2

Only 2 new Games so far.
Wow, i am not the only one playing soul Calibur 2 in here, amazing!
I just got it for ps2 in a bundle of games. I loved soul calibur 4 (my first sc game), and SC6 just seemed unpolished and cheap in comparison. SC2 I can cleary see where SC4 came from and it has the gameplay and style I crave. Don't know why sc6 missed the mark so much. I got it on release so maybe they patched it.
Want to try SC3. May pick that up when I find it.

Going to try that realrtcw mod. Didn't know that existed. So many great older games have mods and reskins/remakes and many people don't even know. So much is out there that if you didn't like modern games you'd have new content for life.

Business

How is Dave the Diver? Is this a chill game?
90-95% of the time it is very chill. It’s a great game that suprises you for its depth and the new mechanics, minigames or styles of play it often introduces. Very addicting gameplay loop, great writing /sense of humor and an excellent overall presentation.

Last edited:

Pejo

How is Dave the Diver? Is this a chill game?
There's only a month or two left to get the limited time Godzilla DLC.

Fun game though, can't say how chill it is without spoiling stuff. But yea - at its core, it's a spear fishing/restaurant management game. Worth a pick up for sure if you have some time to kill. I was surprised to find out it's Korean developed, too. I'm really glad to see Korea taking off, especially with Japan going the way of western studios lately.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Woopah

In terms of how Ive felt about playing these games specifically in 2024, for me its:

1. Timesplitters 3
  2. Octopath Traveler 2
  3. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
  4. Age of Mythology Retold
  5. Advance Wars Reboot Camp
  6. Timesplitters 2
  7. Tears of the Kingdom
  8. Deep Rock Galactic
  9. God of War Ragnarok
  10. Harry Potter Quiditch

Zacfoldor

1. Shadow of the Erdtree
2. Wukong
3. Astrobot
4. Unicorn Overlord
5. Rise of the Ronin
6. Persona 3 Reload
7. Shin Megami Tensei 5 Vengeance
8. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
9. Stellar Blade
10. Balatro

tmlDan

1. Astrobot
2. FF7 Rebirth
3. Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth
4. Wukong
5. Stellar Blade
6. Helldivers 2
7. Rise of the Ronin
8. Warhammer 40K: Space Marines 2
9. ZZZ
10. Granblue Fantasy Relink

Honorable mentions:
Animal Well, The Plucky Squire

Yes, all these games i've played in 2024....and some more lol

Last edited:

jmiller180

Neo Member
Evil West (2022)
Lords of the Fallen (2023 LotF)
Lies of P (2023)
Cocoon (2023)
Remnant 2 (2023)
Blasphemous 2 (2023)
Horizon Forbidden West PC
Space Marine 2
Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster
Prince of Persia the Lost Crown

If we count DLC then drop Horizon and add Shadow of the Erdtree. Last year there were so many good games that the spillover into this year was still great.

R6Rider

Gold Member
No Order:

Stellar Blade
Little Nightmares 2
Dragon's Dogma 2
Helldivers 2
EDF5
Toem
R&C Rift Apart
Metroid Dread
W40K: Boltgun
Astro Bot

AmuroChan

In no particular order:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak
Stellar Blade
Astro Bot
Persona 3 Reload
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Final Fantasy Rebirth
Helldivers II
Black Myth Wukong
Balatro
Tekken 8

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
In no order -

Hi Fi Rush
Oblivion
Stellar Blade
Mass Effect 1
Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
Paper Mario TTYD
Nobody Wants To Die
Gotham Knights
Xmen Origins Wolverine
Link to the Past

GudOlRub

Except for Astro Bot which I don't think it can be beaten as game of the year for me, the other ones aren't really ordered

Astro Bot
Metal Gear Solid
Frostpunk 2
Helldivers 2
Space Marine 2
Hitman World of Assassination
The Invincible
Half-Life Blue Shift
Stardew Valley
Elden Ring (new playthrough + Shadow of the Erdtree)

Wow, i am not the only one playing soul Calibur 2 in here, amazing!
I just got it for ps2 in a bundle of games. I loved soul calibur 4 (my first sc game), and SC6 just seemed unpolished and cheap in comparison. SC2 I can cleary see where SC4 came from and it has the gameplay and style I crave. Don't know why sc6 missed the mark so much. I got it on release so maybe they patched it.
Want to try SC3. May pick that up when I find it.

Going to try that realrtcw mod. Didn't know that existed. So many great older games have mods and reskins/remakes and many people don't even know. So much is out there that if you didn't like modern games you'd have new content for life.

My man, you wont regret playing RealRTCW, its an amazing mod. Im doing the SP right now!

ap_puff

I have too much, i only buy games if on sale (unless it's a top tier release, i wait, silent hill 2 remake will be a day 1 for me)

1. Songs of Syx - great indy city builder - pc
2. Unicorn overlord -switch amazing awesome game!!!
3. Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks - just bought a bucket of ps2 games at antique/retro store, and this gem was in it, never knew it existed. Amazing game!!!
4. Cult of the lamb (fun fun fun)
5. Balatro, - fun until you get to far and it's just feels impossible.
6. Doom 1 and 2 - playing on switch, although I liked the first releases better, as the sound on these is dull. They really need a patch and its been a few months with no patch, wtf bethesda, why are you guys so slow with anything?
7. Lollipop chainsaw repop - never played the original, awesome fun game, glad it was not censored. early 2000s humor and raunchiness. Strange how we fell from that to woke.
8. City Skylines 2 - waiting for more content, but i love city builders
9. Farthest Frontier - almost 1.0 great city builder with combat.
10. Workers and Resources a Soviet Republic - ussr city builder
11. No mans sky
12. Brotato (repeat just mindless chill game)

Some notable mentions...games i just got but haven't played a ton yet (got a box of ps2/GC/Wii for under $70 from antique store, some notable mentions from the bundle (felt like i hit the jackpot and went back in time playing these):
- Xenosaga
- Ape escape 3
- Soul Calibur 2
- Rune Viking warrior (so far seems like pc game i remember)
- 007 From Russia with Love for game cube
- Little King's story - wii
- Arc the Lad 3
- Rygar

Some games I got on pc but haven't tried yet:
- Caticlismo
- Lunacid
- Caves of Qud
- Hands of necromancy (hexen type game)
- Hexguardian
- Wizordum
- Enshrouded
- Terraformers
- Jagged Alliance 3
- Skald against the black priory
did they end up fixing city skylines 2? I remember at launch it was a shitshow

Tough to say if you include games not released from this year. Trying to limit to just this year But off the top of my head:

Balatro (Game of the generation so far)
Animal well
Hell Divers 2
Astro Bot
WuKong
Paper trail

All standout immediately. I've also been enjoying smite 2 alpha but it is an alpha after all and is lacking content atm. Also can't remember if it was very end of 2023 or very early 2024 but I really liked the GoW Valhalla free DLC.

jburdick7

Neo Member
Best I’ve played this year:

1. Shadow of the Erdtree
2. Lies of P
3. Balatro mobile
4. Black Myth Wukong
5. PoP: The Lost Crown + DLC
6. Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition
7. No Rest for the Wicked
8. Nine Sols
9. Final Fantasy XVI