• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Keasar

Proxy Blade - New trailer - Indiegogo - Greenlight

I just started the campaign. I am pretty conservative with the objectives and amount of perks, but keep in mind this is a one man effort. I don't want to derail with anything that's not relevant to making the game as good as possible.

You pushed every correct button with the three games you mentioned, I absolutely love action games and this looks so cool. Really impressive for a one-man project so I am definitely looking forward when you are getting close to being finished with this.

Awesome. In the trailers, the level design is another highlight IMO. So kudos on that. I'm surprised the game hasn't been Greenlit yet. Rocket powered parkour platforming with combat and stylish visuals? Who doesn't want to play that?
Thank you so much! Really makes me glad to hear that. :)

You pushed every correct button with the three games you mentioned, I absolutely love action games and this looks so cool. Really impressive for a one-man project so I am definitely looking forward when you are getting close to being finished with this.

Thank you so much! Really makes me glad to hear that. :)
Oh, Proxy Blade, I've been helping out DSix with some coverage and spreading the word. But it's been unsettling that the campaign only has 175€. Which is kind of ironic considering how well the game is being received on Greenlight

And again I'm proud to be part of a community that's home to so many talented devs. AAC, Ghost Song, Shiftlings, Malebolgia, Proxy Blade, Cook Serve Delicious, and now Cloudbuilt....I always say this, but you guys are the last bastion of innovation and originality in gaming.

Dascu

#screenshotsaturday
male1.gifb1ukm.gif

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
to the moon has very barebone gameplay, but it can be still be called a rpg. I didn't really liked the story of to the moon, first all because is full of "nerd/hipster humor" (i don't know exactly how do call it, a type of humor based on random pop quotations that i really, really hate.
This is called an in-joke. Sometimes well-executed; far more often a crutch for lazy humorists.

great game, but no one seems to be have played it in western countries. I think that it deserves its own topic but yeah, i can't make one because i am a junior forever (and proud of it because of how i became one).
I'll be blunt; the #1 reason I completely passed over it when I first saw it is because the visuals are not good at all. The watercolor character art is reasonably accomplished but doesn't combine well with the default RPG Maker sprite assets, and the interface (battle in particular) is like something a programmer would put together as a prototype/placeholder. So it's probably not ever going to find a significant audience compared to the three other games you posted, which look far more polished. But it's on my radar now, I'll give it a shot someday.

Any more info on that Note open world game that's in the OP. Seem interesting from the stuff the OP posted. Sadly I have no PC access.

Hofmann

Forgotten Key - Sandbox adventure among the clouds, where you play as a girl with the ability to transform into a bird.

Stasis - Isometric Point & Click adventure game inspired by Sanitarium and the art of Crusader No Remorse.

Genocide Dolphins - Another one of those grey looking bland first person war shooters.

Mimpi - Puzzle, platformer and adventure mechanics combined into a unique gameplay style.

59°50'N - An adventure, exploration, resource collecting game where you cruise with your boat in edge of ice field. World will be set somewhere in future after every possible catastrophe has come true.

? - Uninvited/Shadowgate inspired adventure game.

A cool freebie to try

Heavy Bullets
Yes, yet another FPS roguelike this month. Heavy Bullets has a technicolor abstract style and the twist here is that you have to collect the bullets you fire and ammo is a limited commodity. You can also get upgrades like slow motion and items such as bombs. You can stop at stations to take out insurance, allowing you to save some of your loot for the next attempt if you die. The freeware version is an alpha so if you like Heavy Bullets, it'll only be getting more expansive.
04.jpg
02.jpg
Edit: important to know, the menu screen is very laggy but that's not representative of actual gameplay. The game itself runs perfectly fine

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I picked up Full Bore, Six Sided Sanctuary and 6180 the moon in the ongoing Not On Steam sale.

I ended up beating 6180 the moon just after midnight on Saturday. It's pleasant and transient. Akin to playing a bedtime story. That isn't to say it'll put you to sleep—but it's simple, calming, and the plot is a mildly humorous G-rated origin myth. After you beat it,
you unlock versions of the levels turned 180 degrees: you start at the "exit" and gravity is reversed.
(very minor spoiler that you'll figure out if you look at the list of in-game achievements)

Playing it at night before bed would probably be most appropriate.

When I think about whether a game was worth the money, I often compare it to what else I could have gotten for what I paid. By that measurement, it was worth my $3. (You can get it for $2 without the soundtrack, which I didn't actually realize at the time.) But considering what you can get for $1 or even less these days, I can see it being kind of a hard sell. 3/5.

I am less satisfied with Six Sided Sanctuary so far, though to be fair I've spent far less time with it. The concept is interesting and the artwork is clean (...though it's 640 × 480 native and upscaling can look kind of bad) but the surrounding stuff doesn't appear to have been given nearly as much thought. When there are still debug files from Visual Studio in your distributable...

Every time you start the game you'll be prompted to register/sign in to get on some kind of online leaderboards. This should be a one-time thing that is then relegated to the options menu, particularly since I'm not even sure if it works. Clicking the link to register just takes you to the programmer's forum. Even if I'm wrong about that, your top time and score are saved unencoded in XML files right in the game's directory so it seems like the scoreboard would just be full of cheaters.

For some reason confirm and cancel are initially bound to X and C rather than something easily inferred and largely unaffected by keyboard layout like Return/Space and Escape. It seems to be a holdover from when the title screen and options menu were horrendous and broken instead of merely bad/inconvenient/lacking.

In-game the camera has 32 fixed positions, adjustable with WASD—and naturally I gravitated toward the ones that show three of the cube's sides since they're the most informative. But the camera angle affects what directions the arrow keys will move you in, so they're also the most confusing angles to navigate.

Earlier I was wishing I could get my $2.50 back. After remapping the action keys and getting more of a grip on movement in isometric view, I'm feeling less negative about it. The puzzle design can be pretty clever, but there are definitely some warts here. Wish I'd tried the demo before buying. I don't like committing to a verdict before I'm "done" with a game, but I'm pretty sure this is gonna come in at a 2/5.

Thanks to whomever recommended me ARPGs. guess there aren't a whole lotta pretty turn based stuff out there in terms of indies.

Finally gotten around to playing Sword of the Stars: the Pit from 3 indie royale bundles ago. It's an RPG lite dungeon explorer with lots of things to collect and synthesize. combat takes place in real time but enemies only move when you do something. Story is bare bones, the only thing that keeps you going is MOAR LOOT. it's incredibly addictive but you feel empty after like your life was just sucked away. it's good if you have nothing else to do.

makako

Neo Member
Thanks to whomever recommended me ARPGs. guess there aren't a whole lotta pretty turn based stuff out there in terms of indies.

Finally gotten around to playing Sword of the Stars: the Pit from 3 indie royale bundles ago. It's an RPG lite dungeon explorer with lots of things to collect and synthesize. combat takes place in real time but enemies only move when you do something. Story is bare bones, the only thing that keeps you going is MOAR LOOT. it's incredibly addictive but you feel empty after like your life was just sucked away. it's good if you have nothing else to do.

I never checked this one... will do now.. It's 75% off so i might buy it tomorrow morning. I was really going for a new rogue-like'(ish) game and this felt as a glove heh...

I found that one deeply rubbish. Traditional rogue-likes live and die by the strength of their interface and when it is a real pain to use combined with just massively uninspired gameplay then you get something I can't stand to play for more then 30 minutes.

daydream

Banned
Put a few hours into Unholy Heights. The premise reminded me of games like My Life as a Darklord and Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman, so I thought, why not try it.

You manage a motel for monsters. You collect rent from them and in turn, they fight off heroes (= you complete quests that way and get more money, new furniture). They'll get stronger as long as they're satisfied. You're basically fulfilling their requests, improving their rooms, and they gain a stat bonus. Naturally, they pay higher rent for a better room. The monsters leave during the day for their job, lead a love life, etc. Eventually, you expand and get more rooms, new monsters and enemy types show up and so on.

The combat is simple. You knock on the doors of your tenants and send them out to battle (at that point it becomes an iOS style "line defence" game or whatever). Different monster types attack at different ranges. You can send them back to their rooms when they're about to die.

It becomes repetitive rather quickly, honestly. You're basically grinding between accepting quests (collecting rent to buy furniture) and even on x3 it takes too long. There's always one random attack on your inn every day, but it's just one silly enemy and it takes a few seconds to take care of it. But you still have to watch out for it, which leads me to the next point - the game doesn't run in the background, at least for me. So you're just sitting there, staring at mediocre art, waiting for the next payment.

Going in, I wasn't necessarily expecting an outstanding product, but rather an addicting time-waster, like the Kairosoft games or Recettear. I think Unholy Heights definitely falls into that category of games, but it's not nearly as as devilishly crafted.

A fun short browser freebie

Poyas Odyssey
Using [WASD] to move, the [spacebar] to jump, and the mouse to look around, you'll explore a strange temple filled with little round creatures called the Poyas. The Poyas will be able to help you pass obstacles and descend deeper, but you'll need to use a strange cube that they both fear and worship to manipulate them to do so. You can pick up and carry (or interact) with [E], right-click to throw things, and left-click to change the cube's colour... red will repel the Poyas, while green (... ish) will attract them and cause them to follow the cube, and you if you're carrying it, around.

dora_poya_2.png
14275-b.png

It's short but a cool inventive premise that I'd love to see expanded

daydream

Banned
Two more games from the OP:

Brawlin' Sailor: Short little flashgame that made me laugh. Doesn't take more than five minutes to beat, so give it a shot!

Super Hot: Yes. YES.

A fun short browser freebie

Poyas Odyssey

It's short but a cool inventive premise that I'd love to see expanded

Man, that ending is grim.

But I agree, it's basic enough that they could expand on it.

The next IGS feature is going to be Rktcr
Rktcr is played in a side-view world consisting of zones linked by portals. The goal of the game is to construct a journey that collects the 14 gems scattered throughout the world and returns to the start portal as quickly as possible. Players can pause, rewind, and slow time in order to carefully perfect each segment of their journey.
637x358.resizedimage

Paz

Anders and Martin (from Coilworks) says hello by the way. Was asking them when they came back if they swung by the Assault Android Cactus and they say had a great time talking with you.

Really glad to hear you enjoyed Cloudbuilt. Was gonna post the same about Assault Android Cactus, really awesome game (and so smooth framerate!), have been loving the demo so I'm gonna get it next week. :)

Need to get Gone Home, Spelunky and Brothers too. Papers Please I already have and while depressing, so good. Glory to Arstotzka!

Ah awesome, another cloubuilt dev :D your game is fantastic and I hope things went well at egx. Let me know as soon as its available I want to play it again!

This is called an in-joke. Sometimes well-executed; far more often a crutch for lazy humorists.

I'll be blunt; the #1 reason I completely passed over it when I first saw it is because the visuals are not good at all. The watercolor character art is reasonably accomplished but doesn't combine well with the default RPG Maker sprite assets, and the interface (battle in particular) is like something a programmer would put together as a prototype/placeholder. So it's probably not ever going to find a significant audience compared to the three other games you posted, which look far more polished. But it's on my radar now, I'll give it a shot someday.

well you're right, but the game itself is great. Play it when you can.

to be honest, i downloaded it just because of the intriguing premise of the story

There once was a book called “The Story of the Demon King.”
The book had no ending.

i like experimental fiction, so i said "well let's play it for five minutes, it's probably shit, it's free after all". After two hours i was still playing, completely captured by the game. And it's not like these days i play jrpg that much, apart from those on portable system they are way too different from those that i liked as a boy like FFVI, terranigma or earthbound.

anyway yeah the other three games are much more advanced technically but i hope that the gameplay and story are just as good as dkc.

another great rpg that i would like to be translated is princess shade, it's like a mix between an action rpg and bullet hell shooter, especially during boss fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huw-87qClZ8

You guys know the game Frog Sord?
newgif2.gif

From TIG
This wasn't done very classy. I apologize for that. The people who are interested in this project deserve more than that.
We're all going through some personal issues right now. I can't speak for anyone but myself, so that's all I can relay.
I don't like talking about this stuff much, but I don't have much of a choice right now.
I'm a combat veteran. The whole thing is sort of complicated, but to sum things up I had a spontaneous lung collapse a few months ago. I was rushed to the hospital and treatment was administered. I was assured that the Veteran's Administration would cover the costs.
They have not. Since I'm an American, this means I have been slapped with an enormous bill.
In short. The savings I had put forth to start this venture have been completely wiped out. Our other funds have also been wiped out.
We're broke.
I'm going to continue working on FROG SORD, but with the situation being as it is development is going to slow to a crawl.
I apologize to anyone who was looking forward to the game coming out within a timely manner.
Not dead, just a roadblock.
I've never found a door I couldn't kick down or blow open.
At the very least, if I cannot finish the game as a whole I will release 20-30 levels with what we have as a freebie to those who have been looking forward to the game.

Hofmann

The Long Dark - Their Kickstarter campaign needs more backers. Here are some first in-game screens:

Marry Me Game - If you plan to marry someone you love the best way to propose is to create a videogame - now that's romantic!

Kyn - A singleplayer video game that mixes exciting team combat with an engrossing world worth exploring. Control powerful warriors in tactical combat built on making smart decisions in tough situations.

Don't Kill Her - DON'T KILL HER is designed in a very particular way. It first will sounds like a basic game, but as the further you go, the deeper you'll dive into something you wouldn't have expected.

Automaticity - It's a near-future speculative fiction graphic adventure, set in the New York City of 2024, when the globe is controlled by a handful of megacorporations. The story focuses on Lila Morgan, an ordinary retail worker who gets pulled into the dangerous hacking underworld to uncover a terrifying corporate conspiracy.

We need to go Deeper - Cooperative submarine roguelike/exploration game in which you and up to three other friends work together to control a submarine in order to explore the ocean depths, and uncover its many mysteries.

The Manipulators - Real time strategy game, in which you control an alien puppeteer parasite to take over the human population.

I know this game was featured in the OP many months ago, but in case you were still interested in the game, GigaBoots put up a full hour of Freedom Planet on YouTube. Gives you a pretty good grasp of stages not featured in the public demo, as well as how Milla (the dog girl not present in public demos) plays.

Material not present in the public demo starts at 12:46, so you might want to skip ahead if you're sick to death of Dragon Valley.

It looked grim for the KS project Light, but the game is getting funded by a private benefactor. What a positive turn of events, was anticipating this game so I've excited about that
"A balanced mix between Hitman, Gunpoint, Payday, Monaco and Subversion".
2f61b9d199ad131e1be65342b6922327_large.jpg

Hofmann

Paradis Perdus - The game has been in Alpha since 2012 and it looks like it might stay that way much longer - the premise sounds really interesting, though. Download links are available on his website.
The game is about not belonging. You are the bad guy, you are killing everything you touch. The world you are in is beautiful and green, but the moment you get into it, you start infecting everything, and the world starts decaying, until it eventually ceases to exist. You can choose to exit the world, and then it will heal itself, but then you don’t get to enjoy it of course, because you’re not there any more.
Gifs source

So I...uh, acquired Eldritch and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. While it definitely needs to fleshed out with more environments and enemies and the difficulty needs to be upped if it wants to be considered roguelike-ish, what's there is fun and a great change of pace from the other first person roguelikes I've been playing. There's an emphasis on stealth (you can crouch, lean to look around corners, and the first magic I received was called knock and it lets you distract enemies or unlock doors.

I've found three weapons so far - knife, revolver, and tripwire crossbow - as well as items like explosives, rocks, and bottles. There's an overabundance of ammo and items; I never felt like I was running low on supplies. You collect artifacts that act as both mana and currency so you have to weigh between using your powers or saving for gear such as stealth boots, jump boots, health packs, etc.

The enemies I've encountered so far have ranged from a joke to dangerous. Most of the first book/world's enemies are easily avoided and killed. The second world ramps it up with an unkillable enemy that you can only temporarily stop and other more difficult enemies.

Other cool things:
- You can slide. No areas that really took advantage of the freedom of movement, but it's still fun to do
- I really like the library set up of the hub world, The whole idea of getting pulled into the books of this endless library is cool
- Some of the enemy designs need a lot of work to be even be remotely intimidating. The enemies in Fancy Skulls were weirder and more surreal. For a game based on Lovecraftian fiction, that's a bit disappointing

So overall I'd say hold off from purchasing now and wait until the game is further along with more content

RKTCR is now up on IGS. I'll have more detailed impressions later, but I'd definitely recommend it. It's cool, it's stylish and abstract, it has a lot more depth in terms of different maneuvers than you might think, and IMO it's the most fun use of time control in a game since Braid

So I...uh, acquired Eldritch and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. While it definitely needs to fleshed out with more environments and enemies and the difficulty needs to be upped if it wants to be considered roguelike-ish, what's there is fun and a great change of pace from the other first person roguelikes I've been playing. There's an emphasis on stealth (you can crouch, lean to look around corners, and the first magic I received was called knock and it lets you distract enemies or unlock doors.

I've found three weapons so far - knife, revolver, and tripwire crossbow - as well as items like explosives, rocks, and bottles. There's an overabundance of ammo and items; I never felt like I was running low on supplies. You collect artifacts that act as both mana and currency so you have to weigh between using your powers or saving for gear such as stealth boots, jump boots, health packs, etc.

The enemies I've encountered so far have ranged from a joke to dangerous. Most of the first book/world's enemies are easily avoided and killed. The second world ramps it up with an unkillable enemy that you can only temporarily stop and other more difficult enemies.

Other cool things:
- You can slide. No areas that really took advantage of the freedom of movement, but it's still fun to do
- I really like the library set up of the hub world, The whole idea of getting pulled into the books of this endless library is cool
- Some of the enemy designs need a lot of work to be even be remotely intimidating. The enemies in Fancy Skulls were weirder and more surreal. For a game based on Lovecraftian fiction, that's a bit disappointing

So overall I'd say hold off from purchasing now and wait until the game is further along with more content

How have I not heard of this until now...sounds awesome.

How have I not heard of this until now...sounds awesome.
Yeah just got Greenlit. Here's the Greenlight page for trailers, screenshots, and info:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=166329180

---
On other note, Rimworld is kicking ass on Greenlight. Funded in a 24 hours and now it has 25 days to just watch the funds pour in. Don't be put off in the Prison Architect graphics, they plan to hire an artist to give the game its own style

I'd back it but tiers are weird. First one is $5 for name in the credits, and then tiers jump to $20 for Alpha access and Steam key. I'm hoping that a $10 or $15 tier is added to just get a copy of the game on release.

All you Pixeljunk fans, get ready...
As part of our enduring mission with Kyoto based Q-Games to bring more PixelJunk to more people, we are proud to announce the impending arrival of PixelJunk Shooter!

We are bringing the original PixelJunk Shooter to PC, Mac and Linux this November the 11th. In PixelJunk™ Shooter, players pilot their spacecraft through a range of cavernous environments in a bid to save the scientists trapped underground. Making your way through the game requires you to solve environmental puzzles by manipulating fire, ice, water and even a strange black magnetic liquid. All while coming under fire from a vast range of enemies and all set to a buttery soundtrack!

PixelJunk Shooter will be available via Steam and selected partners on the 11th of November. The game will go on sale for $8.99/£5.99/€6.99.

taijou
Greenlight | Site | Trailer
Taijou is a fast paced platformer / bullet hell inspired by a mashup of Touhou and Cave Story

70BB87673F206BA2D56B4F21E64FC54CAB453226
Looks like another Greenlight hidden gem. There's a free beta version to download on their site and it's a lot of fun. And that trailer looks pretty crazy. I'll see if I can found any more info

Fjordson

Anyone in here try out Underrail? Saw a couple posts on it in last month's thread, but was wondering if there were any more impressions. Tempted to buy it since I love Fallout and it looks inspired by that, but it's still in alpha so I dunno.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hmmmm... impressions?

A person whose opinion I value said this:
It may not have Crysis-level graphics, but what matters is the gameplay. The tension of the unknown, the joy of finding a new gun or a medkit, the fear when you're low on health and ammo, is fantastic. When you enter a room armed with only two shotgun rounds, 25 health, and one explosive, and a horde of mutants and zombies rush out of the area where you can't see and you just turn and flee the other way...it's worth every penny.

You're always at a disadvantage. Every weapon, every piece of equipment counts. Every decision is life or death

It really comes down to whether you like the idea of an action game mashed together into roguelike mechanics. Its a fantastic game, and I am pretty sure you'll like it if you like what you see if you watch a brief gameplay video.

Moobabe

It really comes down to whether you like the idea of an action game mashed together into roguelike mechanics. Its a fantastic game, and I am pretty sure you'll like it if you like what you see if you watch a brief gameplay video.

Top stuff! Thank you chap!

In other news I'm restarting my old website! It's all placeholder at the moment since the redesign, a bunch of submenus I'll never use and it loads a bit too slowly, but I'm getting back in the game. Got some pretty cool ideas too!

So I've played four first person roguelikes over the last week - Tower of Guns, Fancy Skulls, Heavy Bullets, and Eldritch - and my favorite so far has been Fancy Skulls. I was actually surprised when I noticed it was only on version 0.2, it feels very polished and featured for a game still so in early development. TOG has the chaos and visuals and Eldritch has the stealth, but Fancy Skulls has finely tuned gameplay, smart enemy design, cool upgrades and pick-ups, and abstract style

r3n4ud

So I've played four first person roguelikes over the last week - Tower of Guns, Fancy Skulls, Heavy Bullets, and Eldritch - and my favorite so far has been Fancy Skulls. I was actually surprised when I noticed it was only on version 0.2, it feels very polished and featured for a game still so in early development. TOG has the chaos and visuals and Eldritch has the stealth, but Fancy Skulls has finely tuned gameplay, smart enemy design, cool upgrades and pick-ups, and abstract style

Fancy Skulls has some weird-ass enemies I tell ya. The game is quite fun though. Tough as well. Finally made it to level 2 and quickly died.

Top Bottom