• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Extremely promising IOS game releasing tonight:

Type:Rider
Trailer
Immerse yourself in this fascinating and unique experience to uncover the history and secrets of Fonts & Characters !

Play as 2 dots and travel through the ages of typographic styles and techniques.

From the rock paintings of prehistoric times to Pixel art of the 2000’s, solve all the riddles by riding the most popular fonts and characters (Garamond, Helvetica, Times New Roman, Pixel, Comic Sans...) in a very captivating musical and visual environment.

Type:Rider is an adventure puzzle game that brings gaming experience to a whole new daring level.

- 10 worlds echoing key periods of the typograhy’s history
- Breath-taking artworks and musical vibes
- Immersive and intriguing atmosphere
- 3 types of controls: accelerometer, buttons and intuitive
- Great historical archives and paintings

screen480x480.jpeg

screen480x480.jpeg

Nabs

I guess this doesn't totally fit here anymore, but Capcom released a new Dustforce trailer. It makes me feel good knowing that so many more people will get to experience it.

More_Badass: I just wanted to keep you updated and let you know that Audiosurf 2 got rid of their online requirements. It still has a long ways to go, but it'll be in great shape by launch.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I guess this doesn't totally fit here anymore, but Capcom released a new Dustforce trailer. It makes me feel good knowing that so many more people will get to experience it.

More_Badass: I just wanted to keep you updated and let you know that Audiosurf 2 got rid of their online requirements. It still has a long ways to go, but it'll be in great shape by launch.

Nice, that was a really stupid "feature".

Keasar

That's Rktcr. It's IGS' current featured game, so you can get the game for a $1 right now. It's a physics-based precision platformer where you can control time. You can read my impressions here but in short, it's fun, it's very challenging, it's innovative

And that's a GIF of level transitions, you seamlessly pass through portals into other levels.

Definitely sold on it.

Yeah Dustforce deserves all the exposure and praise it gets. An absolutely fantastic game

Good to know about Audiosurf 2. Thanks for the update
---
And it's funny. Even with all the time I've spent on various forums, it's still a bit weird to be called More_Badass (or Bronxsta, my other common forum name).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah Dustforce deserves all the exposure and praise it gets. An absolutely fantastic game

Good to know about Audiosurf 2. Thanks for the update
---
And it's funny. Even with all the time I've spent on various forums, it's still a bit weird to be called More_Badass (or Bronxsta, my other common forum name).

You'll get used to it, Baddy ;p

You'll get used to it, Baddy ;p
lol

Okay, another day, another Reddit trade: Guy wants Mercenary Kings for a game of my choice. I'm trying to decide between The Swapper and Papers, Please. Former is an atmospheric puzzler platformer and you know how I like those but the latter is such a different complex innovative title, going by the demo.

Toma

lol

Okay, another day, another Reddit trade: Guy wants Mercenary Kings for a game of my choice. I'm trying to decide between The Swapper and Papers, Please. Former is an atmospheric puzzler platformer and you know how I like those but the latter is such a different complex innovative title, going by the demo.

Swapper is 14€, papers is 9€. Easy call if you want both eventually anyway.

Since they're so different, I think what you feel like playing would be most important. Do you want a pure puzzler that makes no demands of your reflexes? Sokobond. A physics platformer with what looks like a heavy trial-and-error component? Rktcr. An exploration-heavy platformer with switchable weapons? Inescapable.

Positive impressions have been posted of Sokobond and Rktcr, so they would be "safe bets". Nobody seems to know anything about Inescapable, so you could be unearthing a hidden gem.

Of the three you mention, I would personally pick Sokobond. The game is an excellent variation of sokoban with rules that add complexity without feeling contrived or cumbersome. The trial-and-error aspects of Rktcr make it unappealing (to me). It'll also still be PWYW from IGS for another two days and eight hours or so; Inescapable and Sokobond will be full price by then.
But I like ALL of those things! I'll do Inescapable because it would be cool if it's good and I can recommend it to others. I'll see if I can pick up Rktcr too and save Sokobond for another time. Thanks for this advice!

EDIT: Didn't mean for it to sound like I disregarded the fact that you recommended Sokobond the highest :) I think that game actually would gel with me the most. But Rktcar is super cheap and Inescapable could be a hidden gem. I know I'll get Sokobond and I'll probably end up buying it at full price lol :)

Rain World is one of my anticipated indies. I've been following its development for almost a year on TIGForums. Not only is it a stealth action platformer, it has some of the most atmospheric pixel graphics and some of the best animations I've seen in any indie title

dl8BP.gif

PCG257.pre_rainworld.g6-copy-610x346.jpg

Toma

Rain World is one of my anticipated indies. I've been following its development for almost a year on TIGForums. Not only is it a stealth action platformer, it has some of the most atmospheric pixel graphics and some of the best animations I've seen in any indie title

dl8BP.gif

PCG257.pre_rainworld.g6-copy-610x346.jpg

I could swear this is almost a carboncopy of a previous post of yours a few weeks ago on the same game.

With the same gif even :p

Random aside edit: Music you associate things with can make you incredibly touchy.

I could swear this is almost a carboncopy of a previous post of yours a few weeks ago on the same game.

With the same gif even :p

Random aside edit: Music you associate things with can make you incredibly touchy.
Let's see...you featured it in the August OP with the GIF but that was before I found the Indie Threads, and I just realized I posted about it in the September thread but with no GIFs

Toma

Let's see...you featured it in the August OP with the GIF but that was before I found the Indie Threads, and I just realized I posted about it in the September thread but with no GIFs

Maybe you just mixed your two posts and rolled them into one :-O Badception.

Come on guys, almost 10 hours without a new post here?

Anyway Type:Rider is excellent. It's releasing on PC as well this month and I highly recommend getting it. So far gameplay-wise it's not on par with a game like NightSky (yet) but I've never seen level design like this before. The levels take you through the history of typography and at the same time, the fonts and their history are the levels.

Travel across the pages of the Gutenberg Bible. Work your way through the innards of the moveable type and letterpress. Last level I played was a sunken swampy world of italics. It's original and atmospheric and the history is fascinating.

Going to try and keep this going because I think it's a great little tradition for the thread, especially as it grows every month

Here are my impressions of Gravity Bomb:
What makes a game stand out? Jaw dropping visuals, fun satisfying gameplay, a smart narrative, something more? Personally I've always valued gameplay above all else. Some may overlook Gravity Bomb at a glance, but they'd be missing out. Gravity Bomb is a fun challenging puzzle platformer that uses its mechanics in many varied ways.

At its most basic level, Gravity Bomb might be closest to a game like Inverto, in that you shoot special surfaces to alter gravity and reach each level's exit. But while Inverto is focused on first person spatial puzzles, Gravity Bomb marries its mechanics with 2D precision platforming. Across 69 levels, players must leap, wall jump, fall, and gravity-swap around various hazards and tricky environments.

Every few levels, new elements are introduced, each one adding more complexity and used in interesting ways. Levels even allow for multiple strategies; through mastery of your abilities and quick reflexes, you can shave entire seconds off your completion times. While Gravity Bomb is not the most visually impressive game, I found using the gravity shot to be quite satisfying. Hard to reach stars and a level editor give the game some replayability.

For only $2.49, I believe Gravity Bomb is a worthwhile purchase. It's an inventive platformer that tests your skills and while it's not the longest game, what's there is polished and just a lot of fun.

Moobabe

Come on guys, almost 10 hours without a new post here?

Anyway Type:Rider is excellent. It's releasing on PC as well this month and I highly recommend getting it. So far gameplay-wise it's not on par with a game like NightSky (yet) but I've never seen level design like this before. The levels take you through the history of typography and at the same time, the fonts and their history are the levels.

Travel across the pages of the Gutenberg Bible. Work your way through the innards of the moveable type and letterpress. Last level I played was a sunken swampy world of italics. It's original and atmospheric and the history is fascinating.

Has it been that long?! I was asleep after playing Minish Cap and watching Numbers all night...

Is there a thread to share game ideas? There's a subreddit for that and I've been posting some. Making me realize how badly I want them to be real or at least have the prowess to actually make them a reality

I'll post the titles here and if you want to know more, I'll share the rest of the info
Wendigo - gory supernatural sci-fi stealth action
Goddess of the Sky - an Organ Trail-style ascent of Mount Everest

Toma

Is there a thread to share game ideas? There's a subreddit for that and I've been posting some. Making me realize how badly I want them to be real or at least have the prowess to actually make them a reality

I'll post the titles here and if you want to know more, I'll share the rest of the info
Wendigo - gory supernatural sci-fi stealth action
Goddess of the Sky - an Organ Trail-style ascent of Mount Everest

We had a few of those threads over the years on GAF. Its usually just a one off though, thread pops up, people post in it for 2-3 days, thread disappears again. Its a thread that people only post in because they think they have a good idea but rarely read what others wrote,so there rarely is any discussion. Not worth the time in my opinion.

Toma

I don't know if I would be as interested in an Organ Trail style of game, but a resource management sim where you control the first accent of Everest would be really cool.

Its a board game so not entirely fitting but it was highly recommended to me:
20111229115007902_2.jpg

The game is called K2 and you need to manage your ressources to get your pieces to the top and back down in one piece. Its supposed to be very hard and require some very good planning. Here is a very entertaining video review:
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/k2

I don't know if I would be as interested in an Organ Trail style of game, but a resource management sim where you control the first accent of Everest would be really cool.
Here's the link if you're interested
I always go into a lot of details (I think I'm a game dev at heart) so I don't want to post a monstrous wall of text here

It would be so cool if there was a crowdfunding thing where developers would make your ideas a reality

Here's the link if you're interested
I always go into a lot of details (I think I'm a game dev at heart) so I don't want to post a monstrous wall of text here

It would be so cool if there was a crowdfunding thing where developers would make your ideas a reality

Have you thought about finding people in your college who also wants to develop indie games?

Moobabe

I love your review style. Very candid. And trust me I felt the exact same way playing Volgarr. It's like Stockholm Syndrome...you come to love that first area
That top bar with the most viewed, most commented, etc. is a cool feature

I'll add your site to my Recommended Links on my blog. If you ever want to collaborate or something, that would be cool

Thanks! This site has been through so many revisions in its life it's scary. I'll PM you soon - I got some really cool ideas for the site I'd love to share with you.

Edit

Eurgh - having to repost that Volgarr review because it's the wrong post type.

daydream

Banned
Going to try and keep this going because I think it's a great little tradition for the thread, especially as it grows every month

I'll join in! I wanted to briefly highlight three older titles (and try out GifCam) that probably a lot of you already know:

The first game is An Untitled Story by Matt Thorson.

usm7ut4.gif

It's a metroidvania style game featuring a little bird that hatches out of its egg. The game is quite sizeable and pretty challenging the deeper you get into it, not to mention the lovely art style and soundtrack. Definitely check out his other games as well, the Jumper trilogy and RunMan are indie classics in my book.

-------------

The second game is Akuji the Demon.

akujikvute.gif

Another charming little metroidvania adventure by a guy named E. Hashimoto. Reminiscent of Kid Dracula, the pixel art looks especially great in this one. It's short so it never overstays its welcome and thus feels very complete. If you like Maze of Galious, take a look at Hydra Castle Labyrinth as well. Arguably his best game, and there's an English patch for it, luckily.

-------------

Last metroidvania for today is Hero Core by Daniel Remar, the sequel to Hero.

XnxoccL.gif

The developer describes the art style in these games "as a combination of NES, Atari2600 and C64 games but in pure black and white" - an apt description. As you can see in his portfolio, this is by the talented man that made Iji. That alone should sway you to fire this up immediately.

Madras

Neo Member
Hey guys,
hope I'm not getting banned for shameless autopromotion, but I believe my post fits this thread - our game Oozi: Earth Adventure just made it to top 40 voted games on Greenlight and we need just a bit more votes to make it through.

We've been trying to get this game released on Steam for over a year and a half now and trust me, it's been a nightmare. We've sent finished game build to Valve on February 15th 2012 and since then we're waiting... Greenlight gave us hope but it soon turned out that Oozi is not popular enough to make it. However, recent changes in Valve's policy (100 games batch) made us really believe we can get greenlit someday.

It feels really depressing that four years of one's work might just be wasted (yes - we started working on the game back in June 2008) so if you guys could give us a hand we'd be extremely grateful. I know the game isn't the next Braid or Limbo, but we never intended it to be - we always wanted to make a title that would just bring back memories of Super Frog, Earthworm Jim or Rayman (and I believe we were successful at that).

So if you have a moment - please take the time to give us a vote and maybe share our Greenlight link with your Steam friends: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92915519 . Normally I'd never consider asking for help a community that I'm not an active member of, but we really need our journey to Steam to reach the end. If you have any questions about the game's development or anything else I'll be happy to answer them.

Here's a screenshot of the game:
screen.jpg

Toma

Hey guys,
hope I'm not getting banned for shameless autopromotion, but I believe my post fits this thread - our game Oozi: Earth Adventure just made it to top 40 voted games on Greenlight and we need just a bit more votes to make it through.

We've been trying to get this game released on Steam for over a year and a half now and trust me, it's been a nightmare. We've sent finished game build to Valve on February 15th 2012 and since then we're waiting... Greenlight gave us hope but it soon turned out that Oozi is not popular enough to make it. However, recent changes in Valve's policy (100 games batch) made us really believe we can get greenlit someday.

It feels really depressing that four years of one's work might just be wasted (yes - we started working on the game back in June 2008) so if you guys could give us a hand we'd be extremely grateful. I know the game isn't the next Braid or Limbo, but we never intended it to be - we always wanted to make a title that would just bring back memories of Super Frog, Earthworm Jim or Rayman (and I believe we were successful at that).

So if you have a moment - please take the time to give us a vote and maybe share our Greenlight link with your Steam friends: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92915519 . Normally I'd never consider asking for help a community that I'm not an active member of, but we really need our journey to Steam to reach the end. If you have any questions about the game's development or anything else I'll be happy to answer them.

Could you please add a screenshot or gif to your post?

So I learned from a reliable source that Ethan Meteor Hunter will be releasing late October. I'll have my review up in about two weeks

r3n4ud

Hey guys,

0C2CB0EE0565EFF03199FC412D2AC692FEABA0CF

Your game is truly awesome. Played some time ago and loved every second of it. Everything I love about platformers, from the colors, to the sprites, to the enemies. It's all there. Chin up my friend, it'll get on Steam :)

Hey guys,

screen.jpg

I had already voted for it, hopefully you will make it to Steam if the trend of Greenlighting 10 or more games continues. I love the visual it really brings the vibe of the Rayman games.

Hey guys,

Hey, I've played your game. It was on one of the groupee bundles right? I found it a solid little platformer, I'll give you a steam vote.

To those interested, my review schedule for the rest of the week and early next week:

Influx - Friday
Mercenary Kings - Saturday
Logigun - Monday
Some IOS games - Tuesday
Kenshi - Wednesday

Ethan Meteor Hunter review will be up October 21st

Moobabe

SUPERHOT

Website still SUPERSLOW as well for me in Chrome. Fixes and further layout improvements in progress.

To those interested, my review schedule for the rest of the week and early next week:

Influx - Friday
Mercenary Kings - Saturday
Logigun - Monday
Some IOS games - Tuesday
Kenshi - Wednesday

Ethan Meteor Hunter review will be up October 21st

Interested to see what you make of Kenshi.

Hey guys,

screen.jpg

This game looks neat. I voted and will try to spread the word.

SUPERHOT

Website still SUPERSLOW as well for me in Chrome. Fixes and further layout improvements in progress.

Interested to see what you make of Kenshi.
Did you read some of their ideas for the expanded SuperHOT? Shootouts in a collapsing building, in the midst of freeway traffic, stuff like that

Top Bottom