• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't get it. Why would a headshot be negative for building up karma bombs?

Headshots get you negative Karma, because they kill foes. Leg shots give you positive Karma because they subdue foes.

When evil, your kill streak is what builds up your Karma bomb.

When good, your subdue streak is what builds up your Karma bomb. If he had headshot that guy, it would have reset that little bomb counter in the upper left to zero, and he'd have to start his karma streak over.

At first I was cold to the idea, but I think, in the end, it will require you to be more skillful when playing as Good Delsin.

Nuke Soda

Headshots get you negative Karma, because they kill foes. Leg shots give you positive Karma because they subdue foes.

When good, your subdue streak is what builds up your Karma bomb. If he had headshot that guy, it would have reset that little bomb counter in the upper left to zero, and he'd have to start his karma streak over.

At first I was cold to the idea, but I think, in the end, it will require you to be more skillful when playing as Good Delsin.
That actually sounds pretty cool.

Oh.

I thought you only had to not kill civilians to get good karma. Didn't know you had to subdue enemies instead of killing them. Playing as good Delsin kind of sounds like a drag :/

FMbarbarian

I am,really not crazy about the idea of tying morality to the gameplay.

Forcing you to shoot people in the leg? Seriously?

You aren't forced too you just won't get many karma bombs if you don't. It's actually really fun when you get into it and the way the blue karma indicators pop is satisfying. You feel like your playing the game at a high level when you can take out a group of enemies by subduing them all. You can also just play evil and say fuck it.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Oh.

I thought you only had to not kill civilians to get good karma. Didn't know you had to subdue enemies instead of killing them. Playing as good Delsin kind of sounds like a drag :/

The other powers have different ways of subduing, so it's not just shooting enemies in the legs.

Oh.

From the streams we've gotten, it's pretty much the same thing in practice whether you go for leg shots or head shots, plus those aren't the only way to subdue or kill enemies anyway. The difference really comes through in keeping collateral damage to a minimum when you're going for good karma. You have to be more precise. Bad karma is all about kill streaks with less regard for....well, anything.

I am getting this game, Day 1, hands down. I am very interested in how this will review. I could see the length of the game getting brought up, and the gameplay being repetitious being brought up. That is just based on what little I have seen of the game. I heard someone say they 100% the Good playthrough in 10 hours. That sounds perfect for me, as someone who would go back and do an Evil playthrough afterwards. But I could see some reviews saying the game is short, or only 10 hours, and ignoring how different the story plays out if you play it Good or Evil.

I am,really not crazy about the idea of tying morality to the gameplay.

Forcing you to shoot people in the leg? Seriously?

You can play it how you want, you aren't forced at all. You can shoot some in the legs, some in the head, blow up a whole street of enemies and some pedestrians, blast away without regard for anything. You don't have to choose Good or Bad Karma, you could mix a bit of both.

I am getting this game, Day 1, hands down. I am very interested in how this will review. I could see the length of the game getting brought up, and the gameplay being repetitious being brought up. That is just based on what little I have seen of the game. I heard someone say they 100% the Good playthrough in 10 hours. That sounds perfect for me, as someone who would go back and do an Evil playthrough afterwards. But I could see some reviews saying the game is short, or only 10 hours, and ignoring how different the story plays out if you play it Good or Evil.

I think it will score decently, nothing mind blowing but very solid

Oh.

It's not. At all. There's more than one way to build up a Karma bomb. That method is specifically with Neon. It also happens to be my favorite power in the game. It sounds like a drag until you get into a groove and are subduing enemies left and right with precision shots.

K' Dash

So, anyone knows if this is going to be up thursday midnight for digital preorders or is it going up in Grace Chen time? I don't want to stay up in vain :/

I don't really have much to say on the game, as I don't own a PS4 or have any plans on buying one soon. But I just wanted to say this, if GAF ever started a monthly magazine, I want BurnOutBrighter to be the editor-in-chief of it. Awesome work on the OP, those are some great layouts You really captured the feel of magazine scans.

A lot of the good Karma powers actually make it really easy to subdue without having to worry about skill shots like the neon stasis bomb.

Yeah everything from the gameplay to the story is just so much better on the evil side.
I'm at the half way mark for the game but I wonder how it would be if I would switch and swap good and evil decisions. Like for the first ally corrupting her and maybe also for the second but everything else doing good.

Looked at this GIF over and over trying to see if there were any spoilers. I don't think there is but correct me if I'm wrong so I edit it.

iFomudsmmy1QE.gif

TD4W-Sit-On-My-Face-2.gif

hhhhhnnnnnnggggggg

I would argue that playing good is a lot easier if we are basing it on getting the karma bomb. Since being good it builds up and never goes down unless you do something evil rather than being timed like the evil karma bomb.

Also all of the upgrades seem to help you get good karma.

with MGS coming out at midnight on release date does this mean Infamous will as well?

also it may have been asked already, but if i pre-order infamous on psn @ $59.99 will i get the $10 credit even though its a penny short?

Lucent

with MGS coming out at midnight on release date does this mean Infamous will as well?

also it may have been asked already, but if i pre-order infamous on psn @ $59.99 will i get the $10 credit even though its a penny short?

They said that'd qualify on the blog. Someone posted the link somewhere. So if they gave you any trouble, there's evidence there. I went ahead and did it.

Man, this game is so much more enjoyable when you're playing as a dick.

I second this, being evil is great. I probably used my karma bomb less than 10 times in my good playthrough but playing evil is fantastic, way less chances to lose your combo.

Edit: Not to say that being good sucks, it's just way more challenging and I think that's a good thing. It should be easier to be evil than to be good and the game understands this.

You have to hit both feet in order to subdue an enemy with the neon beam as opposed to the 1 headshot evil kill for example, as you can see in the above gif.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
A lot of the good Karma powers actually make it really easy to subdue without having to worry about skill shots like the neon stasis bomb.

Yeah, I know, but I was just responding to that particular gif that the original guy was asking about. It was the Neon powers, and he was wondering why they guy just didn't do a headshot.

Castcoder

Banned
Has anyone gotten any info from Amazon? I haven't heard anything even though it says my estimated delivery is Friday. Keep me posted. I'll stay subscribed in case of any news.

Anyone else tired of waiting?

Yeah ... I'm tired of waiting. I am in pure WANT mode now ... no more photos .. no more awesome gifs ... just give me the damn game!

now to go to bed tonight wrapped in infamous screenshot printouts.

DrBo42

I second this, being evil is great. I probably used my karma bomb less than 10 times in my good playthrough but playing evil is fantastic, way less chances to lose your combo.

Edit: Not to say that being good sucks, it's just way more challenging and I think that's a good thing. It should be easier to be evil than to be good and the game understands this.

You have to hit both feet in order to subdue an enemy with the neon beam as opposed to the 1 headshot evil kill for example, as you can see in the above gif.

The problem is that it's not actually challenging, it's irritating. I tried every non-lethal option in the powers available and not even once did I come away from an encounter feeling like I accomplished something special, I instead felt I had jumped through hoops to maintain karma.

The problem is that it's not actually challenging, it's irritating. I tried every non-lethal option in the powers available and not even once did I come away from an encounter feeling like I accomplished something special, I instead felt I had jumped through hoops to maintain karma.

doing the right things is its own reward.

Top Bottom