• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

culafia

Finally beat it. Great game, and Im looking forward to go Expert Evil in the pursuit of an almighty PS4 plat, but four minor beefs:

1)
As far as villains go, Augustine wasn't very menacing, and only really became interesting after you know who died.

2)
I really wish that romance plot thread wasn't dropped immediately. Either do it all the way or don't use it.

3)
The ending felt a little rushed IMO. They could have at least given it 5 minutes of actual CG

4)
Reggie felt like the wrong person to kill. He's the best supporting character in the game, and although it was a touching scene, it also felt like there was more room to develop him in a potential sequel. It would be like killing Zeke halfway through Infamous 1.

Kuro

So I accidentally learned how to glitch outside of the map: http://youtu.be/ASdVHx6FsLI

Quoted from description:
"I came across this accidentally when I was playing Infamous: Second Son today on PS4. I haven't figured it out exactly, but when I try the following few steps a few times it leads to surprisingly consistent results.

1) Go to the place marked on the map. It's a huge building with the electrical wiring coming out.

2) Find the concave spot on the building with the rubble sticking out.

3) Using
*NEON*
, run up the wall on the inner left concave part.

4) When the electricity bumps you back, keep running up the wall in the same spot (you may need to try a few times).

5) You're outside of the map. Have fun!"

I managed to do this by backtracking all the way to the beginning bridge and floating up through the mountain side.

I managed to do this by backtracking all the way to the beginning bridge and floating up through the mountain side.

Yeah, there's a few places you can get out to after finishing the game. My favorite is the back corner on the top right side of the map near
where you last saw Hank
. You can find a spot to stand a good ways from the edge of the map, and there's a lot of room to get under the map as well.

mreddie

Finally beat it. Great game, and Im looking forward to go Expert Evil in the pursuit of an almighty PS4 plat, but four minor beefs:

1)
As far as villains go, Augustine wasn't very menacing, and only really became interesting after you know who died.

2)
I really wish that romance plot thread wasn't dropped immediately. Either do it all the way or don't use it.

3)
The ending felt a little rushed IMO. They could have at least given it 5 minutes of actual CG

4)
Reggie felt like the wrong person to kill. He's the best supporting character in the game, and although it was a touching scene, it also felt like there was more room to develop him in a potential sequel. It would be like killing Zeke halfway through Infamous 1.

I thought she was ok but it would have better if there was someone behind the scenes or a conduit suddenly killed her and that conduit becomes the final boss.

Agreed, they were buliding something and then Fetch is MIA for a while.

The ending is mixed for me. Hooray all the conduits are free and conduits and humans living in harmony...OR DO THEY?

I agree and disagree, I agree they should have save this until the 2nd time you face Augustine because fighting her after Reggie dies only to fight her again seems pointless only to give out the good/bad last mission. He's basically Trish from i1.Would have preferred he stayed until the next game but it gives a reason to after Augustine and end her crap.

Sorian

Banned
After thinking on, I feel like I would have ended the game like this: (End game spoilers, big black bars all day)
Keep it all the same up until Reggie dying, let Delsin absorb concrete during the first augustine fight which can stay mostly the same, add in a mission with delsin running around town to absorb core relays to learn his concrete powers with the help of both fetch and eugene for some more development on their ends, Delsin did meet his goal of getting concrete power at this point but his immature self would be more interested in avenging Reggie, head off to the final battle, make the same decision, make the tower ascent one that primarily uses concrete instead of smoke, que final boss fight in the same way but change the structure of the fight in two ways, 1) let us fight augustine not some stone scorpion thing and 2) make it so all 4 of our powers are necessary to beat her, she has had years of training with concrete and we get the stuff and are whooping her ass in mere moments, make it so we have to use all 4 of our powers to our advantage to down here concrete skills. End the game in the same way, makes more sense all around IMO

cdkee

Banned
After thinking on, I feel like I would have ended the game like this: (End game spoilers, big black bars all day)
Keep it all the same up until Reggie dying, let Delsin absorb concrete during the first augustine fight which can stay mostly the same, add in a mission with delsin running around town to absorb core relays to learn his concrete powers with the help of both fetch and eugene for some more development on their ends, Delsin did meet his goal of getting concrete power at this point but his immature self would be more interested in avenging Reggie, head off to the final battle, make the same decision, make the tower ascent one that primarily uses concrete instead of smoke, que final boss fight in the same way but change the structure of the fight in two ways, 1) let us fight augustine not some stone scorpion thing and 2) make it so all 4 of our powers are necessary to beat her, she has had years of training with concrete and we get the stuff and are whooping her ass in mere moments, make it so we have to use all 4 of our powers to our advantage to down here concrete skills. End the game in the same way, makes more sense all around IMO

I wish we could've fought Scorpustine in the city. That would have been epic. not sure if it would've worked in that form, but having a boss fight throughout the city would be super epic, like Superman vs Zod in MoS.

ron_bato

I just got prompted for a 237 MB patch for Second Son, anybody know what it's about?

edit: Never mind, just got this late I guess.

From SP:

Sucker Punch
‏@SuckerPunchProd @PGDarkLordMalik The patch mostly addressed LOC fixes, and helped paper trail a bit.

Enzon

I just platinumed this game today. It's my first platinium ever too. I already can't wait to see what they do with the sequel.

i'm done with you too, Delsin

PBY

Banned
I wish we could've fought Scorpustine in the city. That would have been epic. not sure if it would've worked in that form, but having a boss fight throughout the city would be super epic, like Superman vs Zod in MoS.

My biggest issues w/ the boss fights. They don't take advantage of the game's best asset, the city.

Duxxy3

Just finished my expert evil play through and what the fuck at
that ending

edit: and with that, my second platinum ever

Does anything happen if you don't respond to a D.U.P. raid? Does the D.U.P. take back that city?

Also if I've beaten the story once and want to go back and play it again and do the other side of the karmic storyline, do I have to start a new game? Is there any sort of new game+?

Sami+

Just beat the game. Good playthrough, watched the evil ending on YouTube. Can't imagine why anyone would purposely choose to be a completely unlikeable irredeemable dickbag like that but whatever, I guess a lack of player freedom and arbitrary "choice" between two extremes is part of the "charm" of this series. ._.

I dunno. I might sell it. I really, genuinely wanted to love this game. I thought inFamous 1 was decent, didn't like 2, but was really excited about everything I saw of this one. Promises of a more serious story, a more interesting and lively setting, a more interesting and likeable main character, and a variety of fun powers to use. ... Except, I ended up wanting to use neon the whole time because levelling up powers is time consuming and boring, and
video
was a shitty power to begin with that I actively avoided using whenever possible.

Traversal with neon was a ton of fun, as well as with smoke. Movement in this game is fantastic and a very welcome improvement over the others. I loved the setting and soundtrack, and I was initially interested in the story. Graphics were gorgeous as well, I'm amazed that a launch window open world game is such a vast improvement over everything from last gen visually.

Combat was mediocre though, and the story was unbelievable dumb. And... ugh, I can not stop going back to how much I hate the fucking karma system. The back of the box says that "the choices (I) make will affect everyone around (me)?" Bullshit. What choices?
I went into Seattle wanting to be a good guy, but ultimately kill Augustine. Not only was I heavily discouraged from doing this with Redneck Smoke (who I also wanted to kill) because of the dumb way the skill tree ties into the karma system, but I was also not even given the choice of killing Augustine
. Fuck that noise. Ugh.

Oh, and I loved how at the beginning of the game, I literally thought to myself: "
Haha, I don't care what arbitrary bullshit justification and tragic backstory they give her at the last second, nothing justifies what she just did.
only to see literally exactly that happen at the end. Was waiting for the part where she said "
Those humans... they hated us and treated us like monsters even though we did nothing wrong... that makes it okay for me to murder old women and innocent villagers...
"

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

In retrospect, that producer/director coming to the verge of tears during that PS4 conference is even more fucking embarrassing, considering the game's plot and theming is piddling.

It pains me to trash it so much, too, because I really can see how much love went into the game's development, and I appreciate that. But lord, with how awful the story is I don't know if I should just conclude that Sucker Punch decided that their audience is stupid, or they're just awful writers. The ultimately serviceable but not spectacular gameplay isn't enough to hold itself up on it's own imo, and coupled with the other stupid nonsense I just end up feeling extremely lukewarm toward it as a whole.

Sorry guys. :/ I wanted to like it. I really did.

edit - also Reggie was the only character I liked, just wanted to throw that in there

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
this game still amazes me.
The effects are just wow!

But im have Trouble with the cough drop trophy..
im Standing above a Group of Dealers and drop a smoke bomb on them. most of them have the triangle above them, so i guess they are coughing?
I drop into them with square, but I just dont get the trophy..
what gives?

KeRaSh

this game still amazes me.
The effects are just wow!

But im have Trouble with the cough drop trophy..
im Standing above a Group of Dealers and drop a smoke bomb on them. most of them have the triangle above them, so i guess they are coughing?
I drop into them with square, but I just dont get the trophy..
what gives?

It took me a few tries, too. I finally got it during a drug bust when all dealers were huddled around the drugs. Just try it a few times and it will eventually pop.

FeiRR

Banned
I see this game will have a very high ratio of platinum trophy (5% as for now). It must make SP guys happy that they made a game people want to complete.

RE_Player

It makes me mad because Sucker Punch has the potential to pull off such a better story. There were mind blowing or really masterful scenes in all the games but they are sandwiched in a bunch of forgettable stuff. In this game in particular I thought
Reggie's death scene was done great. Not too long yet it had a moment to breath before his drop. Afterwards though it feels like that was just a footnote and Delsin goes back to carefree dude, especially in the last mission.

EGM1966

I'm 1000% certain that I've killed over 15 sign spinners yet no trophy. What gives?!

I had same issue - got trophy in end but not every takedown seemed to count. Watch out if they drop board and try and run just before you zap them for example. Also other combat near their area seems to sometimes afffect it.

In the end i always sniped them from a distance when they were in the middle of a spin and that seemed to work every time.

Putty

I'm not really a trophy hunter, and certainly don't have any platinums, but 5% seems like a really great percentage for SP! Can't beat replay value in a game, especially one as unique as I:SS. I'm almost done on the good playthrough, then to tackle evil!

Wow at the evil ending. I hope they go with that as the canon!

Wouldn't mind the final game to be called inFAMOUS 3 and (inFAMOUS 2 spoilers)
to be able to play as Cole after it's revealed that he isn't dead and that we have to take down Delsin/Fetch/Eugene.

This needs to happen. SP take notes.

------------
Evil playthrough is the only playthrough I liked. After all the name of the game is inFamous.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
It took me a few tries, too. I finally got it during a drug bust when all dealers were huddled around the drugs. Just try it a few times and it will eventually pop.

ok, thats what I wanted to here.
I will give it another go this afternoon.
cant wait to get home. Havent had this in a loong time.
superb game imo.

chrislowe

I never really played infamous 2, but i have had it for like 1,5year for my PS3 so I fired it up today.
I actually think it looks pretty good for a PS3 game, and plays ok.
Im gonna play thru it actually, but man, does the Dual shock for PS3 feel akward compared to the PS4 controller :)

pompidu

Had a wtf moment.
angels!?
Looks like im on the cusp of getting the third power. Im assuming it gets explained because it came out of left field. Shits crazy.

Marvel

could never
Sign spinners and musicians are a pain in the ass, keep running away before I get close (I'm evil)

Gotta get my Neon snipe on it seems. Nearly have the Plat.

Carl

Had a wtf moment.
angels!?
Looks like im on the cusp of getting the third power. Im assuming it gets explained because it came out of left field. Shits crazy.

I love what Del says at that point (power spoilers)

Something along the lines of"Angels? So either one of these guys can make angels, or i'm up against God...And I don't like my odds in that match up!"

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The evil ending
was overhyped, IMO. I find it hard to believe that Delson would just comet drop on his tribe. I liked the good ending more.

Video ability
is so much better as Hero, and it looks sweet. Just me or what?
Stealth
seems to be really good.

Improved stealth is freakin' overpowered. You are literally unstoppable. Stealth -> Shackle, Shackle -> Dash out -> Repeat -> Kill the few that can't be subdued.

Portugeezer

The evil ending
was overhyped, IMO. I find it hard to believe that Delson would just comet drop on his tribe. I liked the good ending more.

They were all going to die anyway, he put them out of their misery quick.

Somehow it is a good ending...

ChrisW

The evil ending
Same he never
really turned evil in the game, he still had the same motivation at the end

Marvel

could never
Video ability
is so much better as Hero, and it looks sweet. Just me or what?
Stealth
seems to be really good.

Nope not just you, it does look awesome when you're a good guy. Looks too much like Smoke when you're evil.

And
Stealth
is very useful.

Pimpwerx

I see this game will have a very high ratio of platinum trophy (5% as for now). It must make SP guys happy that they made a game people want to complete.
Also helped by sensible trophy tasks that actually flow with the regular gameplay. Smart trophies can positively stimulate people to complete the list, and thus game, like SS, not frustrate like killzone. Whoever puts multiplayer trophies in their games that are not simple "try this" tasks should be smacked. PEACE.

Couldn't have answered it better myself.
But what is "next gen game play"? People throw that around all the time, but does anyone even know what it is they expect? How different does the game play have to be, while still resembling an Infamous styled game? It irks me a bit when people say things like, "It's pretty, but it has last gen game play", just sounds so dismissive to me.

Sami+

But what is "next gen game play"? People throw that around all the time, but does anyone even know what it is they expect? How different does the game play have to be, while still resembling an Infamous styled game? It irks me a bit when people say things like, "It's pretty, but it has last gen game play", just sounds so dismissive to me.

I'd agree if it weren't for the skill tree's design, karma mechanic, and story. The game's design makes it feel like something made in 2006-2008, when dumb and arbitrary "you choose the story" mechanics were all the rage.

Banzai

I'd agree if it weren't for the skill tree's design, karma mechanic, and story. The game's design makes it feel like something made in 2006-2008, when dumb and arbitrary "you choose the story" mechanics were all the rage.

So what exactly is the problem with the karma mechanic. Makes sense to give you the chance to be either superhero or supervillain in a game about superpowers, wouldnt you say?
people always complain about black and white choices, but that's really the only thing that makes sense for infamous. If you want to play a chaotic/lawful neutral character you're playing the wrong genre.

as for the skill tree...whatever. It's better than the xp mechanic in old games and there has to be some way to gradually unlock improvements for powers, so why not a throw in a skill tree.

FeiRR

Banned
Also helped by sensible trophy tasks that actually flow with the regular gameplay. Smart trophies can positively stimulate people to complete the list, and thus game, like SS, not frustrate like killzone. Whoever puts multiplayer trophies in their games that are not simple "try this" tasks should be smacked. PEACE.
I agree. Boring grinding tasks and missable trophies stop me from trophy hunting and I don't even touch MP in most games.

Sami+

So what exactly is the problem with the karma mechanic. Makes sense to give you the chance to be either superhero or supervillain in a game about superpowers, wouldnt you say?
people always complain about black and white choices, but that's really the only thing that makes sense for infamous. If you want to play a chaotic/lawful neutral character you're playing the wrong genre.

as for the skill tree...whatever. It's better than the xp mechanic in old games and there has to be some way to gradually unlock improvements for powers, so why not a throw in a skill tree.

And why does a Walking Dead approach not make sense for inFamous? Why is a poorly written and designed, jarring, bad system the only one that works for this genre?

rager

Banned
The only thing that still bothers me about the inFamous franchise is that there is no penalty for falling. I understand he has powers to float of fly to a degree, but I feel there should be some damage if he falls from sky scrapers when his powers run out. He can receive damage from bullets and other conduits but he can literally fall from a building and land like cat with no damage? There is no real sense of danger when he is climbing buildings or leaping them.

Top Bottom