• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Tagging seriously gets old. Even if some of the art is pretty creative stuff.

Do appreciate the game is less of a PITA time sink that the first one was for example.

Banzai

And why does a Walking Dead approach not make sense for inFamous? Why is a poorly written and designed, jarring, bad system the only one that works for this genre?

Okay, I haven't actually played Walking dead (I know, I know, always meant to), but from what a quick google job is telling me it's about making choices that influence the story/ make it play out differently?
I guess that could work for Infamous, too, but I feel like Infamous is less about making choices than it is about seeing what happens when the MC is a selfish ass or a selfless philanthropist. That does take away from your ability to control the story, absolutely, but that was never the intention. Feel free to disagree.

Calling the system jarring or flatout bad is unfair as well. What's so badly designed about it? Choose one or the other and roll with it. done.

pompidu

I love what Del says at that point (power spoilers)

Something along the lines of"Angels? So either one of these guys can make angels, or i'm up against God...And I don't like my odds in that match up!"

Lol. I like how they wrote delsin. Good personality

psychotron

I was actually contacted by a QA Manager at Sucker Punch yesterday about my stuttering frame rate. He was very nice and asked me to try and provide video of what I was seeing. I tried to throw something together quick and came up with these. Maybe you guys will see what I'm talking about too. Not the greatest quality videos, but it's all I could do.

*Second Power Spoiler*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdBuPoubfOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRZFNQ-EuDY

Orcastar

But what is "next gen game play"? People throw that around all the time, but does anyone even know what it is they expect? How different does the game play have to be, while still resembling an Infamous styled game? It irks me a bit when people say things like, "It's pretty, but it has last gen game play", just sounds so dismissive to me.

In my mind, "next gen gameplay" is gameplay that would not have been possible with previous gen hardware.

A good example from the previous gen would be Assassin's Creed, which, incidentally, many people were calling the "first real next-gen" game (or something to that effect) back when it was first announced. Why? Because Assassin's Creed would have been impossible to make on PS2/XBox, not just because of the graphics, but the overall complexity of the open world, animations, crowd systems, etc.

Second Son, on the other hand, could have easily been a PS3 game if they just toned down the graphics a bit. There is simply nothing in the game, apart from the graphics, that would not have been possible to implement on PS3. Hell, GTAV is arguably a much more complex game when it comes to gameplay mechanics, and it runs fine on PS3.

Sami+

Okay, I haven't actually played Walking dead (I know, I know, always meant to), but from what a quick google job is telling me it's about making choices that influence the story/ make it play out differently?
I guess that could work for Infamous, too, but I feel like Infamous is less about making choices than it is about seeing what happens when the MC is a selfish ass or a selfless philanthropist. That does take away from your ability to control the story, absolutely, but that was never the intention. Feel free to disagree.

Calling the system jarring or flatout bad is unfair as well. What's so badly designed about it? Choose one or the other and roll with it. done.

How is that not the intention of the game? From what I recall, that was a huge selling point for the first two games and is even advertised on the back of the box. The player is supposed to have some degree of choice. The Walking Dead grants this by giving you freedom of choice very often, even for very minor and inconsequential decisions. Doing this keeps "decision time" feel less jarring than it does in Second Son, and it's tied into the gameplay better. For instance, there's a part where (minor spoiler)
you get in a fight and win by punching him in the face with the R2 button - while you're doing this, in real time, other characters tell you to stop hurting him and you choose yourself to let go of the button or keep mashing R2
. In context, it's not even "good or evil", it affects how the certain characters interact with you, for better or worse. No matter what you choose, the overall plot is the same, but there's a deep illusion of choice and sense of consistency because it alters your relationships with other characters and nothing else.

The karma system is badly designed. It does not grant any real sense of freedom to the player and instead feels like nothing more than a bullet point on the back of the box and incentive to play the game twice. Make a decision at the beginning of the game and you're locked in for the rest of your playthrough. See how people above have debated about which play through is more fun? That's bad design. The player shouldn't have to deal with less fun gameplay by virtue of not choosing to be an unlikeable horrible asshole. Or how about that one poster who said he begrudgingly had to reset his game after losing an entire karma level for making the choice he wanted? That's bad design.

If they can't do the karma thing right, then don't do it at all. As it is, it sucks and is a detriment to the game.

The evil ending
was overhyped, IMO. I find it hard to believe that Delson would just comet drop on his tribe. I liked the good ending more.

Improved stealth is freakin' overpowered. You are literally unstoppable. Stealth -> Shackle, Shackle -> Dash out -> Repeat -> Kill the few that can't be subdued.

Agreed. The
billboard and the nod to inFamous 2
were way more satisfying than anything from the evil ending.

Raptor

Having lots of fun on my Evil Expert run, Delsin is a complete maniac, kicking wounded people, evaporating enemies and pure cruel stuff all around, I love it.

Also the powers like Smoke looks better cause of the redish color.

Shin-Ra

I like the insults
Reggie throws at you if you hit him when he's pretending to be a conduit. DOUBLE DICK!

sun-drop

so i've maxed out all 3 powers, is there a forth?

am wondering also if the paper tail will end with an extra power.

but that 3rd power ... so so cool in what it does for traversal ..... i think each power just increases yr command of the air over and above each other .

for me it's hard to put the controller down .. i think the 2nd island is a lot more fun ..just seems to be alive with action at every turn at the mo.

seriously the most fun i've just had playing with the game mechanics since say waverace 64

But what is "next gen game play"? People throw that around all the time, but does anyone even know what it is they expect? How different does the game play have to be, while still resembling an Infamous styled game? It irks me a bit when people say things like, "It's pretty, but it has last gen game play", just sounds so dismissive to me.

I think he was hoping for "next gen game design".

I hated playing evil. The powers felt weak to me compared to hero. Nothing was too different along the story except for the ending. This is next gen game play combined with last gen game design. Still an 8/10 to me, but kinda wish I didnt buy digital. I would trade it in. Story and game is too reliant on the core relays.

Probably because the core game is no different content wise from the original Infamous. It really feels like they spent most of their time on this game just for the visuals than actually creating new gameplays. It's even a step back in complexity and amount of content from Infamous 2

Kuro

I was actually contacted by a QA Manager at Sucker Punch yesterday about my stuttering frame rate. He was very nice and asked me to try and provide video of what I was seeing. I tried to throw something together quick and came up with these. Maybe you guys will see what I'm talking about too. Not the greatest quality videos, but it's all I could do.

*Second Power Spoiler*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdBuPoubfOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRZFNQ-EuDY

I don't see any stuttering except for when the pop-in occurs, which is happening more often than it does for me. Maybe you have a bad HDD?

sun-drop

Second Son, on the other hand, could have easily been a PS3 game if they just toned down the graphics a bit. There is simply nothing in the game, apart from the graphics, that would not have been possible to implement on PS3. Hell, GTAV is arguably a much more complex game when it comes to gameplay mechanics, and it runs fine on PS3.

but you can't just toss that out like it's nothing ... the feeling of being able to move like we can through this dense city scape, with smoke and sunlight , lights and everything, at the solid framerate we get it at ... that IS next gen.

same feeling i got when i first played waverave64, the waves, how they looked, how it felt bouncing over them .. same thing.

if it wasn't as spectacular, or as dense, or as smooth .. it'd be hollow and feel nothing like it does on ps4

psychotron

I don't see any stuttering except for when the pop-in occurs, which is happening more often than it does for me. Maybe you have a bad HDD?

It's possible. I'm just trying to get as much confirmation as possible before getting a possible refurb from Sony. It's just odd that no other game seems to have these issues.

edit: At 1 min 21 seconds, you can really see it hiccup. http://youtu.be/NdBuPoubfOE?t=1m15s

You see Delsin freeze for a fraction of a second. The videos only show it clearly in some spots, but I see it all the time.

MDSLKTR

The final
boss fight
is easily the best looking thing I ever saw in a video game. Surpassed the crysis 3 one, the framerate was also hovering above 30fps the whole time, amazing. It will take order 1886 before being blown away again right :(

Kuro

The final
boss fight
is easily the best looking thing I ever saw in a video game. Surpassed the crysis 3 one, the framerate was also hovering above 30fps the whole time, amazing. It will take order 1886 before being blown away again right :(

It wasn't very impressive to me.
It was inside a boring little room and the boss looked kind of silly at times.

How does the third power even work, story wise? Is it that
Eugene can pull digital images and make them physical, and Deslin uses assets from Heaven's Hellfire since that is what Eugene fantasized about? Could he use something else if he wanted, like pull an image of Cole and have him destroying shit?

hydruxo

The final
boss fight

I mean the framerate was impressive but it was also
in an enclosed room
so I'd kind of expect it to be. I enjoyed the game a ton but the
final boss fight
wasn't really all that memorable IMO.

see5harp

I'm enjoying what I'm playing so far and it certainly looks pretty but I'm finding the game to be somewhat pedestrian. I still don't love the climbing, jumping or movement in this game. The shooting and special powers are pretty solid but I feel like there needs to be either more types of enemies or something to switch things up here and there.

Levyne

Banned
Seems like an awesome update. Though I don't take screens nor plan to cap the fps. Great thing is that it won't affect any players negatively, since it's all optional.

hydruxo

I'm excited about the change of day option. Looking forward to playing during nighttime, the
neon and video powers
look really freakin cool at night.

Skilletor

In my mind, "next gen gameplay" is gameplay that would not have been possible with previous gen hardware.

A good example from the previous gen would be Assassin's Creed, which, incidentally, many people were calling the "first real next-gen" game (or something to that effect) back when it was first announced. Why? Because Assassin's Creed would have been impossible to make on PS2/XBox, not just because of the graphics, but the overall complexity of the open world, animations, crowd systems, etc.

Except there's an Assassin's Creed game on PSP with comparable gameplay that shows Assassin's Creed would easily be possible on PS2/Xbox if they just toned down the graphics.

I'd like you to show me something like the neon powers speed and utility on ps3 or 360.

How far along are the paper trail missions? I'm tempted to start them, but I'm not sure I'll be able to bear waiting the week or so for the new mission to pop up.

I'm on my second playtrough and doing paper trail again (that f' ing reset for some reason) and now I'm utterly convinced we are getting wire powers. paper trail spoiler:
Every single body you find is covered in wiring/ kept in place with wires
Anyone else agrees?

Grinchy

Banned
New patch coming soon that adds the ability to change time of day, remove HUD, & lock FPS at 30: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/01/second-son-update-incoming-change-time-of-day-hud-off-30fps-option/#sf2420099

"Time-wise, the earliest we could have the patch and new features ready is about two weeks from now."

Here's hoping this is legit and not an April Fools joke!

It's kinda weird that they said they wouldn't be able to let us change the time of day so recently if they were already working on it for a patch.

Theecliff

Banned
What should I do if a blast shard disappears? Destroyed one of those hand scanners things but got attacked by loads of DUP, came back and despite it still being on my map the shard was no where to be seen.

Will it just reappear if I leave the area and come back again? Or will I have to reload?

Dizzle24

I'm on my second playtrough and doing paper trail again (that f' ing reset for some reason) and now I'm utterly convinced we are getting wire powers. paper trail spoiler:
Every single body you find is covered in wiring/ kept in place with wires
Anyone else agrees?

spaghetti powers. Not sure if want.

LiK

Platinumed it. Great game, lots of fun. Story was weak. Good was okay but Evil was half-assed. You could tell which side was supposed to be canon. I had fun. Gorgeous game.

char0n

Got everything except for the couple of extra interesting achievements around comet drop (the distance one and the 2-vent one), and I keep coming back to this despite having barely scratched the surface of MGS:GZ and Titanfall. Traversal in this game is just a joy, especially neon run, and the
post game DUP raids
do an absolutely perfect job of keeping there being stuff to do while still being free and sandbox-y. It's pretty much my new go-to "need to decompress from work/long day" game now. I definitely prefer good-Delsin powers, especially with the karma bombs being much easier to queue up rather than having to go on an actual timed streak of mayhem. It's definitely not perfect and in retrospect feels like it was definitely an incomplete (though nicely polished around what was and wasn't done) product, but the core gameplay mechanics are just really really good.

Kuro

I really don't get all the praise for the evil ending.
Delsin throwing a temper tantrum 'cause old Betty scolded him and orbital dropping on the Akomish was so stupid.

Voidance

I wish SP would patch in a "Spectator Mode" or "Fun Mode" in which people aren't trying to kill you every five seconds. That shit gets on my nerves and inhibits my desire to explore the game.

Even better, when you finish the game, give you the option to respawn the DUP or not. That would work for me too.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
New patch coming soon that adds the ability to change time of day, remove HUD, & lock FPS at 30: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/01/second-son-update-incoming-change-time-of-day-hud-off-30fps-option/#sf2420099

"Time-wise, the earliest we could have the patch and new features ready is about two weeks from now."

Here's hoping this is legit and not an April Fools joke!

rejoice.png

Will wait until the patch comes out to finish my 3rd playthrough on expert.

breakfuss

I briefly considered trying to 100% this when I pick it up but I just don't think I'll be able to deal with the restriction of the good side. I tried in the first two and never stuck with it. I can't be bothered with avoiding or protecting civilians lol.

Orcastar

Except there's an Assassin's Creed game on PSP with comparable gameplay that shows Assassin's Creed would easily be possible on PS2/Xbox if they just toned down the graphics.

I'd like you to show me something like the neon powers speed and utility on ps3 or 360.

Except that AC Bloodlines strips away most of the features that made the original Assassin's Creed feel next-gen at the time, i.e. the big open world, the big crowds, the fluid animations.

And something like the neon powers would have easily been possible on PS3; there's really nothing unique about them. It's not even that fast, the flashy effects just create an illusion of speed. The first time I got the neon powers in the game, I was disappointed at how slow the running was and that you couldn't actually run as fast as Fletch does.

FrankWza

8/10 for me. Played good expert 1 playthrough.

-The controls I feel took a step back in the series but I think that had to do with power choice being put in play.
-It was pretty short
-repetitive enemies
-gorgeous graphics
-some cool powers

Should have been a Sony June release to get some extra development time. It was the shadow fall of the infamous series. Most of its improvements came from the hardware and not on the gameplay side.
They should have turned eugene and neon into more like a summons where you have to build or level up to call them. Too many bailouts near the end.

The graphics are just so nice though.

Top Bottom