• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Does anyone else feel the beginning section before you get to Seattle was the best part? Don't get me wrong, I love the whole game. But when it changed from a linear story with finely crafted environments tailored to the narrative, to an open world that feels largely homogeneous and bland it made me really want the next game to be a more guided experience like say, Alan Wake.
Nope that never happened to me. I do wish that first area was a bigger, fully explorable area, so I think I want the exact opposite of what you want!

Is it possible to quickly go through the game as good without doing any side stuff to leave that to the expert playthrough or will I get stuck?

Is it possible to quickly go through the game as good without doing any side stuff to leave that to the expert playthrough or will I get stuck?

You dont have to do really any side missions. A couple of times, maybe 2 or 3, you have to destroy the DUP command center in that area before it lets you start a main mission, but thats about it. I would recommend doing some more at least, this lets you see blast shards on the map and the game just gets more fun the more powerful you are.

Owzers

Started getting into Infamous now that i finished Dark Souls 2....someone has got to make Sucker Punch stop with the on screen damage indicators. I hate it how getting shot is just a standard thing and Sucker Punch's only instinct is to make the screen as annoying as possible. Uh Uh Uh now turn the screen grey and moody.

btags

Does anyone else feel the beginning section before you get to Seattle was the best part? Don't get me wrong, I love the whole game. But when it changed from a linear story with finely crafted environments tailored to the narrative, to an open world that feels largely homogeneous and bland it made me really want the next game to be a more guided experience like say, Alan Wake.

I don't have the game, but it is funny that you say that, because when I watched a friend play the beginning portion it reminded me very much of Alan Wake for some reason.

_woLf

Looks complete... That didn't do it? Might have bugged out on ya.

Yeah I found the problem...the game glitched and one of the tiles didn't register properly. The numbered ones apparently can do that so you have to re-seat them...zzzz.

Beat all 5 levels of that. Hopefully I don't have to something like that again.

MDSLKTR

Started getting into Infamous now that i finished Dark Souls 2....someone has got to make Sucker Punch stop with the on screen damage indicators. I hate it how getting shot is just a standard thing and Sucker Punch's only instinct is to make the screen as annoying as possible. Uh Uh Uh now turn the screen grey and moody.
I absolutely hated the fading screen and the obnoxious voices when you have no life, I can't play it with headphones because of how annoying it is. Wish SP would tone it down in the update.

daman824

I'm on the verge of buying a PS4 and Infamous for my little brother (his bday is this Friday).

A few questions about the latter:

1.) Is it worth $60?

2.) On what level would you put the open-world of the game? Are we talking on the level of GTA V? Or another open-world game you can compare it to?

3.) For anyone familiar with Hulk Ultimate Destruction, which is an open world game where you have a ton of moves and can destroy basically everything, is Infamous like that?

1. No. Not a lot of content, weak side activities, and an incredibly short main game. It's good. But It was pretty much a friday night and few hours on saturday type of game. Nothing to really do after you beat it either (nothing substantial anyway)

2. Biggest gripe. Open world is dissapointing in this game. It doesn't feel like a real place. Nothing happens. It's dead. GTA5 is leagues better in this department. In fact, before you play this game, you should get your expecations in check. Don't go into SS expecting a gta5 or red dead redemption level of immersion. In those games, the world felt alive. It felt like people could actually live there. Wanna know why I was dissapointed in the game? Because in SS, seattle was designed almost entirely as a playground and not as an actual city. Go into it expecting that and you should be fine.

3. Not familiar but yeah it sounds like that. The gameplay is where the game shines (dispite the powers being pretty much the same). And near the end of the game you feel like a bad ass.

Overall, I'd wait a bit. SS is an amazing looking and great playing game. But I was dissapointed after everything was said and done. That being said, don't get the wrong impression. I'd give it a 7/10. It's good. If you wanted me to compile a list of must own ps4 games so far, SS would be on there; I would just tell you to wait till it's about $40. Sucker Punch is just too small to really improve the series in any significant way.

Silurus

I think if it was the way it was intended it would have stopped working and a prompt would have come up asking you to hold it sideways again. Kinda like it does for the rest of the game, such as keepng hold of the touchpad when you're destroying the DUP truck.

It was insanely accurate and moved the paint cursor in the right direction when held normally, so saying it was the "way it was intended" is a bit presumptuous.

However, to each his own.

The fact it tells you on screen and is more like you would hold a spray can kinda says it was intended.

yeah this.
It definately is intended to be Held sideways.
Just feels intuitive.

Haha oops, I didn't hold it sideways. I held it flat. But it worked just fine that way too and I enjoyed all the spray painting.

I'll try holding it sideways on my Evil play through. That method does make sense.

Bebpo

Banned
This is the only sandbox game I can think of that doesn't auto-save each time you pick up a collectible or do a side mission.

Was getting déjà vu at times thinking I'd already found these shards, but when I started picked up audio logs and hidden cameras I'd done before I realized it wasn't saving :

Now I just create a new save file every time I quit because I don't know what makes it save. Pretty dumb decision.

I really don't understand the attempts at comparing this to GTAV. They are two completely different games with open-worlds that are in service of very different game play styles.

Of course it's not going to be as alive and populated as a GTA game. 75% of the GTA experience is about absorbing the game world itself.

inFamous Second Son does a wonderful job of giving you a virtual playground in which to feel like a powerful badass; it's not setting out to create an insanely detailed world with endless nuances and believable settings/scenarios.

Also, the game definitely has replay value, for me. I'm shocked, really. I'm actually going to platinum this game (something I never do), and my second play through on evil has been absolutely worth my time.

This is not only the first inFamous game that I'll actually manage to finish, but I'm going to finish this sucker TWICE. I was afraid the game would be bloated and tedious like the first two, packed with filler and repetitive side missions.

So glad they went this route and left the door wide open for a plethora of add-on content.

xrnzaaas

inFamous is much more like Prototype series or even Just Cause 2, it's not a GTA clone. I had fun playing it, but I felt it lacked some content (no side missions except for Paper Trail, short main campaign, very easy collectibles). I also think that the city is too small for a next-gen game.

Melchiah

1. No. Not a lot of content, weak side activities, and an incredibly short main game. It's good. But It was pretty much a friday night and few hours on saturday type of game. Nothing to really do after you beat it either (nothing substantial anyway).

Wut?! It took me six evenings to 100% the game, probably 15-20 hours in total (I wish I could see the playthrough time somewhere). Now, that I'm doing another playthrough on expert/evil, and skipping most of the side missions, I've reached halfway, the other side of the town, after two evenings (6-8 hours).

EDIT:
I also think that the city is too small for a next-gen game.

As a someone, who generally hates open world games, and all the back & forth travel and repetition they involve, I'd say the map was just perfect in size. When I look at GTA maps, like San Andreas, I just get the feeling I don't even want to start the game. Too much is too much.

xrnzaaas

As a someone, who generally hates open world games, and all the back & forth travel and repetition they involve, I'd say the map was just perfect in size. When I look at GTA maps, like San Andreas, I just get the feeling I don't even want to start the game. Too much is too much.

Well, inFamous: Second Son has very good quick travel feature (the loading times are very short) so it wouldn't be a problem. Plus the game (including the main story mode) is built in a way so that there isn't a lot of backtracking involved.

Melchiah

Well, inFamous: Second Son has very good quick travel feature (the loading times are very short) so it wouldn't be a problem. Plus the game (including the main story mode) is built in a way so that there isn't a lot of backtracking involved.

Which is why it didn't annoy me as much as, say, Dead Island, where moving across the map was painfully slow, and the missions forced you to go back and forth.

I only used the fast travel, when moving to the other side of the town. Traverse with the powers was quick enough in an environment of that scale.

daman824

Wut?! It took me six evenings to 100% the game, probably 15-20 hours in total (I wish I could see the playthrough time somewhere). Now, that I'm doing another playthrough on expert/evil, and skipping most of the side missions, I've reached halfway, the other side of the town, after two evenings (6-8 hours).

EDIT:

It's short. 12 hours for 100% is short. That includes doing all of the side activities. The main game is like 8-9 hours. And after that you're done. Sure I could collect every shard, but I'd much rather move on to a new game.

Melchiah

It's short. 12 hours for 100% is short. That includes doing all of the side activities. The main game is like 8-9 hours. And after that you're done. Sure I could collect every shard, but I'd much rather move on to a new game.

On my first good playthrough I did all the side missions, and it took 15-20 hours, considering that I played about 3 hours on six days, sometimes even longer. I did spend some time to inspect the surroundings, instead of rushing from one mission to another. On the second playthrough I've pretty much concentrated on moving forward, doing only the side missions that are different for evil (stencil art, sign twirlers, street musicians, and Akura gang... I already did the activists & civilians/wounded enemies missions on the first time), and collecting all the shards to max out the powers, which I think is pretty essential. Getting halfway has taken at least 6 hours. It's definitely not 8-12 hours for everyone's playthrough.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
On my first good playthrough I did all the side missions, and it took 15-20 hours, considering that I played about 3 hours on six days, sometimes even longer. I did spend some time to inspect the surroundings, instead of rushing from one mission to another. On the second playthrough I've pretty much concentrated on moving forward, doing only the side missions that are different for evil (stencil art, sign twirlers, street musicians, and Akura gang... I already did the activists & civilians/wounded enemies missions on the first time), and collecting all the shards to max out the powers, which I think is pretty essential. Getting halfway has taken at least 6 hours. It's definitely not 8-12 hours for everyone's playthrough.

I had the same experience. Definitely 15-20 hours (probably closer to the latter) for my first playthrough--which as doing the good path on normal difficulty and doing every side mission, getting all the shards etc. (all districts to 0% DUP controlled).

Granted I'm not great at games so I died more than a lot, and did a lot of take a guy or two out, run a way to heal, take another guy out, run away again etc. type battles, so that probably added up time.

So I'd say it's probably 10ish hours for hardcore gamers who are good at games AND rush through games, 15+ for the average joe who will die more and maybe take more time to see the sights etc.

Anyway, I liked the game a lot. Not sure if I'll keep it and do an Evil playthrough has I'm kind of burnt out on it having just played through Infamous 2 for the first time a couple weeks ago. So I lean toward selling it before value drops, as I'm sure it will end up on PS+ down the road and I could to the evil path then. I'm not a big fan of the Paper Trail stuff so far, so I don't know that I care about that (stuck on the damn hexagon puzzle currently).

Overall I probably liked Infamous 2 a tad more (never played the first) due to having more variety in story and side missions. The melee combat was better there too with the finishers and what not. I did like the characters and story in this one better, and having multiple power types was an awesome change. I'd love for a sequel to let you some how mix and match powers--though tricky to do with the plot device of having to draw from that source to use that power.

Afrodium

Banned
So I think I'm about halfway through the game (just got to the second island) and while I like the traversal, combat, and pretty visuals, I'm pretty disappointed that Sucker Punch has yet to fix any of the flaws that have existed in the series since the first game. I'm now understanding what the 'last gen gameplay' complaints were about. It's an Infamous game with pretty graphics, and that means that it has the good and bad parts of the series.

Why does these games have to take place in a military controlled city? Why are they so afraid to stray from the mechanic of liberating districts by completing a handful of extremely similar sidequests. There's absolutely no variety in these quests, and they've been pretty much the same ones since the first Infamous game. You'd think they'd want to change it up for one of the PS4's first big exclusives, but it seems Sucker Punch is content with recycling the same 'find the hidden camera' and 'locate the undercover agent' missions that we've been doing since Infamous 1. The only remotely new sidequests are the spray-painting ones, which are pretty lame and are used roughly three times per districte because they couldn't be bothered to come up with one or two more sidequests to recycle throughout the game.

I know that coming up with a unique sidequests for every area requires a ton of time, money, and effort, but if they're going to recycle them then at least come up with some new ones to recycle. And it really wouldn't hurt to change up the general structure of the games too. Just because the first and second games were about locked down cities doesn't mean this one had to be, and I really hope future entries stray from this formula. It's starting to get stale.

I traded inFamous in over the weekend. Beat it at 100% on a Normal Good playthrough, and I started an Expert Evil playthrough and played for a few hours, but didn't really feel compelled to keep pushing through (although recklessly murdering civilians was kinda fun).

The game was good overall, and parts of it were great, but it definitely felt a little hollow. Rockstar has done such a good job showing us how an open world should feel, and inFamous didn't live up to that. It desperately needed some substantial side missions along with a bunch of random encounter type events. Really a missed opportunity there.

psychotron

All I need to do is get rid of a few more sign twirlers and defeat the last boss and I'll have my platinum. My new Hybrid SSD is arriving today, so I'm excited to see if it will help with some of the texture pop-in / stuttering I've been experiencing.

Oh man. Talk about a game getting progressively worse. I liked it from the start, but soon you realize it's a shallow game in a nice suit. And what about that last boss fight? Did they design it to be as shitty as possible? So frustrating and boring.

The big problem with this game was the main campaign. Very short and shallow, generic missions. Most missons are go there, get power relay. Come on - thats shit, SP.

A great inFAMOUS game would have lots of missions/structures like the big tower where traversal/platforming and combat works great together, or the space needle one.

But for whatever reason SP isn`t willing to offer more of those types of missions/structures (iF 1 did it the best) and the consequence for me is, that i`m losing interest in this series.

psychotron

The big problem with this game was the main campaign. Very short and shallow, generic missions. Most missons are go there, get power relay. Come on - thats shit, SP.

A great inFAMOUS game would have lots of missions/structures like the big tower where traversal/platforming and combat works great together, or the space needle one.

But for whatever reason SP isn`t willing to offer more of those types of missions/structures (iF 1 did it the best) and the consequence for me is, that i`m losing interest in this series.

I thought Infamous 1 was the best. They introduced ideas that were really fresh at the time and I was really interested in the story. Though it did have somewhat repetitive sewer sections, even they were changed up a bit each time. The tower climb was exceptional. I would love a 1080/60 version of that game.

Violater

I think the power relays should have been replaced by mid tier bosses.
That would have required some variety in the combat encounters and added some depth and length to the missions.
Overall the experience felt very half done to me.

daman824

I traded inFamous in over the weekend. Beat it at 100% on a Normal Good playthrough, and I started an Expert Evil playthrough and played for a few hours, but didn't really feel compelled to keep pushing through (although recklessly murdering civilians was kinda fun).

The game was good overall, and parts of it were great, but it definitely felt a little hollow. Rockstar has done such a good job showing us how an open world should feel, and inFamous didn't live up to that. It desperately needed some substantial side missions along with a bunch of random encounter type events. Really a missed opportunity there.

Oh man. Talk about a game getting progressively worse. I liked it from the start, but soon you realize it's a shallow game in a nice suit. And what about that last boss fight? Did they design it to be as shitty as possible? So frustrating and boring.

So I think I'm about halfway through the game (just got to the second island) and while I like the traversal, combat, and pretty visuals, I'm pretty disappointed that Sucker Punch has yet to fix any of the flaws that have existed in the series since the first game. I'm now understanding what the 'last gen gameplay' complaints were about. It's an Infamous game with pretty graphics, and that means that it has the good and bad parts of the series.

Why does these games have to take place in a military controlled city? Why are they so afraid to stray from the mechanic of liberating districts by completing a handful of extremely similar sidequests. There's absolutely no variety in these quests, and they've been pretty much the same ones since the first Infamous game. You'd think they'd want to change it up for one of the PS4's first big exclusives, but it seems Sucker Punch is content with recycling the same 'find the hidden camera' and 'locate the undercover agent' missions that we've been doing since Infamous 1. The only remotely new sidequests are the spray-painting ones, which are pretty lame and are used roughly three times per districte because they couldn't be bothered to come up with one or two more sidequests to recycle throughout the game.

I know that coming up with a unique sidequests for every area requires a ton of time, money, and effort, but if they're going to recycle them then at least come up with some new ones to recycle. And it really wouldn't hurt to change up the general structure of the games too. Just because the first and second games were about locked down cities doesn't mean this one had to be, and I really hope future entries stray from this formula. It's starting to get stale.
Sums up how I feel. Sony needs to either give sucker punch more developers and money to expand the games or drop the frachise. As more and more huge and immersive next gen open world games come out, infamous will continue to feel stale.

If I were to describe second son in one word it would be hollow. These days, if you make an open world game, that world has to feel alive and like a real place. There also needs to be a wide variety of interesting things to do. Seattle felt empty, and the linear wilderness area was lame too.

NeoRausch

BWHAHAHA! FINALLY (had some time!)

901989_1441391509439713_6842550273506621654_o.jpg

xrnzaaas

I only used the fast travel, when moving to the other side of the town. Traverse with the powers was quick enough in an environment of that scale.

Forgot to mention that. I especially liked fully upgraded Light Speed (Neon power) to quickly move from one district to another.

Actually finding shards in Second Son is EXTREMELY easy and it's not something you should avoid since they're needed to upgrade your powers. Only one shard is harder to get to (I obtained it when I was playing the last mission).

Maligna

Banned
I don't have the game, but it is funny that you say that, because when I watched a friend play the beginning portion it reminded me very much of Alan Wake for some reason.

Probably because they both take place in rural Washington State. Just like Twin Peaks. Awesome avatar btw. I did a Twin Peaks podcast a couple years ago after I became obsessed with it. That has caused me to want to play every game that takes place in Washington. Haha. The beginning of Infamous Second Son scratched that itch but I lost the feel when it goes to Seattle.

Melchiah

Platinum'd.
4HRHLRWl.jpg

The expert/evil playthrough took three evenings, +10 hours in total. Skipped the rest of the stencil art and shards after I had maxed out the three powers. Decided to leave them for when the update comes with the opportunity to change the time of day.

The changes in the story, and the ending, weren't really to my fancy, apart from the evil version of Fetch's mission. It's pretty much the same as in Mass Effect; the renegade road is an asshole's path. I'd like to have more justified reasons for the evil acts, than to just act like a selfish bastard for the sake of it. The dialogue after the first evil choice in particular just seemed out of place.

I had the same experience. Definitely 15-20 hours (probably closer to the latter) for my first playthrough--which as doing the good path on normal difficulty and doing every side mission, getting all the shards etc. (all districts to 0% DUP controlled).

Granted I'm not great at games so I died more than a lot, and did a lot of take a guy or two out, run a way to heal, take another guy out, run away again etc. type battles, so that probably added up time.

So I'd say it's probably 10ish hours for hardcore gamers who are good at games AND rush through games, 15+ for the average joe who will die more and maybe take more time to see the sights etc.

Surprisingly the second playthrough on expert/evil was pretty easy, even the boss battles. I cleared them the regular way, instead of using the tricks mentioned on this thread. And to think some of them seemed so hard on the first time on normal/good. The same goes for the fights against the regular foes. I guess it's easier with experience, and with the more destructive evil powers.

I really don't see the point in playing the game for the first time without seeing the sights. Seems like a lesser experience to me, if it's just rushed through.

Forgot to mention that. I especially liked fully upgraded Light Speed (Neon power) to quickly move from one district to another.

Yeah, the endless speed was nice. I kinda wish the third power would have had something similar.

Stackboy

I think I'll wait till the patch comes to change the day cycle, before I return to destroy more things, now that I have finished my evil playthrough.

slade

Anyone miss the cover system from the first two games? I adapted but it was disheartening to see it excluded from this game.

leng jai

Anyone miss the cover system from the first two games? I adapted but it was disheartening to see it excluded from this game.

The combat isn't designed for you to be taking cover constantly. I would have loved to see a shield power which you could use while on the move though.

As someone who likes to relax at the end of a day of studying and working, I wish there was more mindless side content I could lose myself doing. However, the travel powers are so fun and the alternate playthrough is different enough that I'm probably going to sink a ton of hours into this game anyway.

Black Flag was great for side stuff, but I enjoyed the story and gameplay of Infamous much more. If Sucker Punch sacrificed the traditional sprawl of mini-quests and collectathons for a more focused and cohesive world and story, I say it was worth it [though it would be nice to get both next time].

Tabular

Banned

Whatever. It's not short. It compares to other games in the genre. And this one deserves two play throughs.

Top Bottom