• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

DrBo42

Graphics are great, I get that but is the gameplay much better than the first two?

I like it more than inFamous 2 definitely. Not sure about the powers though. By the end of the game smoke feels irrelevant.

Edit: Haven't finished so I guess I shouldn't say end of the game but towards the end I guess.

Shadownet

Banned
m1ltbTx.jpg

Why yes, yes it is.

Damn, that's gangsta.

NIGHT-

I don't even get how people can consider an infamous game boring. what is fun to you guys?

I don't know about this one, but the other 2 games were repetitive, lifeless and boring. I've never seen such a lifeless open world game.. Just pulls you out of the game

Shadownet

Banned
Oh also for those wondering, No one from the previous two infamous games are mentioned. Ever.

The only reference to those two games is when they say "Seven years ago..." since thats when all this conduit business started.

So you don't need to play the first two games.

Dude! Spoiler tag! Goddamn!

It's been a lot of fun watching you guys try and figure out stuff (paper power haha). I rather enjoyed the game even if it was a bit on the short side. Even with all of the things to do in this game it took me about 10-12 hours to 100%.

Is there a new game + ?
Can you ''reset'' enemy presence in the city ?

Or is it that stupid shit again where you got all upgrades and nothing left to do/fight... I hope not.

Is there a new game + ?
Can you ''reset'' enemy presence in the city ?

Or is it that stupid shit again where you got all upgrades and nothing left to do/fight... I hope not.

No new game plus. At the end of the game you are fully powered up and you just finish whatever side missions you have left and clear the remaining DUP presence out of the city.

Looks like people are going to start spoiling it, but before I go aren't some of the moves within power sets hidden behind side missions like previous games?

What I'm taking away from the impressions so far:

+ Stunning visuals
+ Fun gameplay
+ Awesome powers
+ Good voice acting

- Short
- Weak/abrupt ending

Any comments on the general quality of the writing/storyline?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is inFamous 2 for comparison(my direct feeds):

It's amazing what Sucker Punch did with Second Son, glad they added AA.

I'm glad you posted these. I think inFAMOUS 2 looks fucking amazing (I've been replaying it this week, but I don't have any capture equipment). I think a lot of the visual issues of inFAMOUS 2 were overblown (like crazy jaggies; yes, it has aliasing, but it's not as bad as it is often stated as being), and the the game is very colorful and pleasant. I'm currently in Flood Town, so I'm a good ways into the game. I'll have it beat by the time SS comes out, but it's not like I haven't beaten it a dozen times before...

I'm actually trying to beat ACIV. Still haven't beaten it yet, and I'm about 50% done. I don't think I'll be able to beat it by next Friday, as I work, and don't have as much free time to game on weekdays.

It's been a lot of fun watching you guys try and figure out stuff (paper power haha). I rather enjoyed the game even if it was a bit on the short side. Even with all of the things to do in this game it took me about 10-12 hours to 100%.
Im cool with that. Playing through once good and once evil should give me 20+ hours, and all the roaming I would do would add a few extra. Seems like a decent amount to me.

What I'm taking away from the impressions so far:

+ Stunning visuals
+ Fun gameplay
+ Awesome powers
+ Good voice acting

- Short
- Weak/abrupt ending

Any comments on the general quality of the writing/storyline?

Couldn't agree more with those points. That ending....

I thought the change of tone between this game and the previous Infamous games was welcome.

No new game plus. At the end of the game you are fully powered up and you just finish whatever side missions you have left and clear the remaining DUP presence out of the city.

110470.gif

Can you at least manually save ?
So you can finish the story & upgrade all powers and then save and have fun fighting DUP controlled areas ?

Lingitiz

10-12 isn't horrible. I will likely replay this alot since there's not much else on PS4 that's going to be fighting for time anyways.

For those of us that have played it I wanted to ask this.
Do you feel there was enough main storyline quests for the other supporting characters? I felt there wasn't enough for the three characters, and that other characters quest kinda was a disappointment as well.
Just for folks knowledge regardless of which side you end up going with the story will go down the same path for the most part. Only big difference is the cut scenes.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've never played an infamous game before, can anyone tell me how repayable they are and possibly how replayable SS will be?

I replayed inFAMOUS 1 about a dozen times before inFAMOUS 2 came out. I replayed inFAMOUS 2 about a dozen times before Second Son releases. I'm currently replaying inFAMOUS 2 in my excitement for SS.

I love the games, and think they are incredibly fun. That fun is what keeps me coming back. Not the story or plot twists (which after the first playthrough of Good/Evil, you know all you need to know), but because it's just fun to pop in an inFAMOUS game and run around, blowing shit up, climbing on things, collecting blast shards/etc. Even though the games tend to get some semblance of love here on GAF, I think they are still underappreciated in bringing you an open world game in an interesting and different way.

Many, many, many open world games let you drive cars, shoot pedestrians, have gritty, crime underworld/mafia infused stories in a city based on New York or LA.

Very, very few open world games let you climb every building, shoot electricity/napalm/ice/smoke/neon from your hands, run along walls with super-speed, hover and glide through the air, grind on power lines at fast speeds, in a city based on New Orleans and Seattle. inFAMOUS does things differently than other open world games, but that often gets downplayed or ignored by many. If I wanted to play a straight up GTA clone where I could drive in cars and do other stuff, why bother with the clone? Why not just fucking play GTA? (which I do...when I'm in the mood to play a game like GTA, because I love the GTA games) When you want something a little different; an open world 3rd person shooter with cool powers, fun traversal, and an often strange, quirky story/presentation, you go with inFAMOUS.

As a point of reference, my favorite open world games of this past console generation:

inFAMOUS 1 and 2
Red Dead Redemption
Grand Theft Auto V
Sleeping Dogs
Assassin's Creed 2
Crackdown

I haven't played enough of the Saint's Row series, but I enjoyed what I did play of SR2, and I have SR3 on my PC, but I haven't booted it up yet.

Lingitiz

I've never played an infamous game before, can anyone tell me how repayable they are and possibly how replayable SS will be?

You've got at least one worthwhile replay with the Karma choices. Other than that it's all about how fun you find the traversal and combat. There's harder difficulties so that will probably be worthwhile. I replayed I2 3 or 4 times and really it each time.

Pop

10-12 or 15 hours seems about right. It's fine with me cause I know it will take me longer since I'll be goofing off in the world. Here's a comparison. Thief took me 15 hours to complete on Master difficulty. Now most of that was just the same stuff in linear hallways. I'm most certainly sure Infamous will bring much more in 10 hours. I already know it will take me way longer since I won't be rushing through quests one after another.

To people who finished the game...Is the DLC ( Cole's Legacy ) worth it? For us Europeans, the DLC is only available in the SE and LE and those versions cost 25-35 euro's more than the regular editions :/

LAA

Oh no! inFamous is short too?!
Both MGS V and inFamous seem to be short then...:(, was looking forward to at least inFamous lasting a while. Hopefully the side quests/trophies should help it last longer.

How does the length of Second Son compare to inFamous 2?

Duallusion

Thanks.

At least that's something... I really don't understand developers. They create a great sandbox game and then not including new game + or a way to reset things in that world :S

Agreed. All games with upgradable powers/equipment should have new game plus (and multiple save slots, of course). It shouldn't be hard to implement so I don't understand why devs so often ignore it.

Oh no! inFamous is short too?!
Both MGS V and inFamous seem to be short then...:(, was looking forward to at least inFamous lasting a while. Hopefully the side quests/trophies should help it last longer.

How does the length of Second Son compare to inFamous 2?

10-15 hours, depending on time spent on side stuff, is right in line with the series. Then you play through again as evil and you can double that time.

Top Bottom