• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Interesting. Just curious, would you say the bosses are better than the ones in inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2? Actually quite like the bosses in the first game, 2nd was a letdown imo.

What? Really? The bosses in inFAMOUS 2 were so much better than the ones in inFAMOUS. Sure it was just you spamming, but the bosses in inFAMOUS 2 had such epic scale and they were fun to fight.

So far I'm very impressed with the game. According to my save file, I'm at 31% completion, and I've had a blast so far. I feel sort of bad that I never gave the first two games a fair shot, but I still severely dislike Cole as a protagonist. Delsin is much better, in my opinion.

Fantastic. Although I didn't like the ending. Obviously I wont specifically say why but it felt anticlimactic to me.

(I played the Good side)

InFamous 1 and 2 had some pretty damn satisfying endings...so the ending isnt as good as either of those?

InFamous 1 in particular was just a WTF ending and I really enjoyed it

Loudninja

So how do guys feel about the size of the map?
So far I'm very impressed with the game. According to my save file, I'm at 31% completion, and I've had a blast so far. I feel sort of bad that I never gave the first two games a fair shot, but I still severely dislike Cole as a protagonist. Delsin is much better, in my opinion.
Nice to see the vast majority of the impressions are positive.

So you didn't like the first 2 but you like this one?

InFamous 1 and 2 had some pretty damn satisfying endings...so the ending isnt as good as either of those?

InFamous 1 in particular was just a WTF ending and I really enjoyed it

Yeah I loved the endings of those two games. The good ending of Second Son doesn't compare to either of those. Nothing really shocking happens, the game just kind of wraps up and ends.

It's quite large. It's split into
2 Sections which are both about the same size.

It's also very dense.

Loudninja

Yeah I loved the endings of those two games. The good ending of Second Son doesn't compare to either of those. Nothing really shocking happens, the game just kind of wraps up and ends.

It's quite large. It's split into
2 Sections which are both about the same size.

It's also very dense.
Nice.

Soi-Fong

Alright so far, I've played around 8 or so hours. Have "cleared" 3 areas and done like two or three missions.

Oh and I only have smoke still. lol

I've kinda been getting sidetracked by collecting
blast shards.

Anyway, once smoke gets upgraded a ton, it is so fun to just go fight against
conduit DUP soldiers.

This game emphasizes constant movement using hover and dash. I especially love fighting in the rooftops just dashing and hovering constantly between two buildings. You just feel so badass in this game and I only have smoke so far.

The movement does a great job of making you feel like a real superhero. The powers( I have only smoke like I said) aren't over the top like SR4. They feel more grounded "in reality" if that makes sense, but this actually lends to the game just making you feel more apart of the world.

After playing with the game, I have to take back what I said previously. The controls are like 10% floaty, but I've gotten use to them.

I want to add as well that it's fun to use hover to correct your overshoot on your dash. If there's one thing I really want, I wish SP added a way to cancel your dash mid-dash, but using hover to correct your trajectory is just as fun.

Nice to see the vast majority of the impressions are positive.

So you didn't like the first 2 but you like this one?

Well, it's still relatively early in the game, but I've done a fair share of side activities and never felt bored with the map. I've never given it a good look on the pause screen, but I'm satisfied with its size.

Yeah, for whatever reason, the first 2 games never grabbed me. However, it's easy to see how this is an evolution of the series, so I guarantee anyone that enjoyed inFamous 1 and/or 2 should like this. I watched partial playthroughs of 1 and 2 the other day, and everything has "matured," in a good way. The writing, acting, cutscenes, graphics, and just about everything else are on a completely different level than before in the series.

Loudninja

A little bigger than the Infamous 1/2 maps. Very dense like Magicman103 said, lots of detail everywhere.

Alright so far, I've played around 8 or so hours. Have "cleared" 3 areas and done like two or three missions.

Oh and I only have smoke still. lol

I've kinda been getting sidetracked by collecting
blast shards.

Anyway, once smoke gets upgraded a ton, it is so fun to just go fight against
conduit DUP soldiers.

This game emphasizes constant movement using hover and dash. I especially love fighting in the rooftops just dashing and hovering constantly between two buildings. You just feel so badass in this game and I only have smoke so far.

The movement does a great job of making you feel like a real superhero. The powers( I have only smoke like I said) aren't over the top like SR4. They feel more grounded "in reality" if that makes sense, but this actually lends to the game just making you feel more apart of the world.

After playing with the game, I have to take back what I said previously. The controls are like 10% floaty, but I've gotten use to them.

I want to add as well that it's fun to use hover to correct your overshoot on your dash. If there's one thing I really want, I wish SP added a way to cancel your dash mid-dash, but using hover to correct your trajectory is just as fun.

Well, it's still relatively early in the game, but I've done a fair share of side activities and never felt bored with the map. I've never given it a good look on the pause screen, but I'm satisfied with its size.

Yeah, for whatever reason, the first 2 games never grabbed me. However, it's easy to see how this is an evolution of the series, so I guarantee anyone that enjoyed inFamous 1 and/or 2 should like this. I watched partial playthroughs of 1 and 2 the other day, and everything has "matured," in a good way. The writing, acting, cutscenes, graphics, and just about everything else are on a completely different level than before in the series.
You guys are killing me here 6 days left :(

Thanks for the fantastic impressions so far. :)

The writing, acting, cutscenes, graphics, and just about everything else are on a completely different level than before in the series.
I would agree with this. Sucker Punch outdid themselves with this game.

Only thing I miss is zipping along on powerlines as Cole, but, what are you gonna do.

Soi-Fong

The
grafitti
that you can do in this game really reminds me of Banksy's works.

Who knows? Maybe SP was able to get some designs from Banksy. haha

The
grafitti
that you can do in this game really reminds me of Banksy's works.

Who knows? Maybe SP was able to get some designs from Banksy. haha

That was the most ineffective spoiler tag I've ever seen. Hahahaha

"Hmm. Sandwiches? Handstands? What does Banksy do?"

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hey if anyone finishes it (after launch) and wants to sell I will pay over what GameStop gives on trades. $45~50 I'm hoping there's some sales. I've bought both 1 and 2 on their respected launch days. It's just I've put two preorders in on ds2 already for PC. Ecstatic, I know.

No rail grinding? ****

PM me if interested

52% here and I've cleared out all of the districts I've been to thus far (about 7 of them). I just reached the next part of the map.

The main villain is excellent. Well voice acted, good motivation that sells the character as evil but not entirely without reason.

I really love the pacing in the game above all else. Some might complain its slow and doesn't give you access to your powers quickly enough but the progression feels natural and more rewarding than the previous games. Specifically because of bow they've tied the main collectible to your oower upgrades. Smoke is fine and enjoyable on its own but once you get Neon and get the upgrade that allows for
unlimited speed running
, it turns into a totally different experience. Easily one of the most enjoyable ways to traverse an environment in a game. The fact that it looks so damned good while you're doing it certainly helps!

I really like the relationship between Delsin and Reg, too. It's built up pretty early and continues to play a big role in the story. Fetch also has a pretty interesting back story and her interactions with Delsin will make you snicker. Therr's some good interplay between them. Though I felt like the transition from their first meeting to the next scene where they are working together felt a bit unnatural. I can't say more without spoiling.

Gameplay wise..its Infamous as I said earlier. You won't mistake this for any other franchise. If the series never clicked with you before, I don't know how much this game is going to convince you to like it outside of the massive jump on visuals/production values and noticeable refinements to its gameplay. One of which is how tied together the side missions are to the main plot. The previous Infamouse games were a bit more scattered in thst regard.

Truthfully my only complaint right now is the repetition of those side missions. There isn't any change in how you go about clearing a district. Its the same set of missions and while they are all fine on their own, you'll be doing them quite a bit. Thay may wear on those completionists like myself who refuse to progress the story until the DUP is out of my damned city!

More to come as I make more progress.

52% here and I've cleared out all of the districts I've been to thus far (about 7 of them). I just reached the next part of the map.

The main villain is excellent. Well voice acted, good motivation that sells the character as evil but not entirely without reason.

I really love the pacing in the game above all else. Some might complain its slow and doesn't give you access to your powers quickly enough but the progression feels natural and more rewarding than the previous games. Specifically because of bow they've tied the main collectible to your oower upgrades. Smoke is fine and enjoyable on its own but once you get Neon and get the upgrade that allows for
unlimited speed running
, it turns into a totally different experience. Easily one of the most enjoyable ways to traverse an environment in a game. The fact that it looks so damned good while you're doing it certainly helps!

Might wanna Spoiler that.

Oh also for those wondering,
No one from the previous two infamous games are mentioned. Ever.

The only reference to those two games is when they say "Seven years ago..." since thats when all this conduit business started.

So you don't need to play the first two games.

Sorry about that.

Edit: I wanna add. Some of the different vests you get are pretty wicked.
Shame that (vest related spoiler)
only the main one seems to change with your karma.

I'm sorry I'm missing out on the preorder bonus, that one vest that has the ribs looks badass.

Oh also for those wondering, No one from the previous two infamous games are mentioned. Ever.

The only reference to those two games is when they say "Seven years ago..." since thats when all this conduit business started.

So you don't need to play the first two games.

No fucking way. I find this impossible to believe.

The don't even mention "The Demon of Empire City" or anything?

That's kind of a bummer to me. I knew that this wasn't directly connected and that they were trying to reach a new audience but I figured the legacy of the series would make its mark somehow. That's crazy that you don't meet any of the old characters or even hear about them.

I'm streaming, no spoilers or cutscenes, just exploration and combat. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/namtox
Awesome. I'll watch, though maybe be sure not to spoil the Neon power thing that they had blocked out from the earlier previes too.
Sorry about that.
:p

Not a big deal, but it'd be like me saying:

In-N-Out makes some pretty good
burgers
, it's almost like they are trying to be like 5 guys.
Just a black-bar isn't a good indicator either, just put it into context of what you'd like to convey without doing that. And also give a general idea as to where you are in the story or how you may be spoiling something thing. If I were to have written that sentence I would have wrote:

Non Story spoiler, but small game mechanic spoiler:
The
grafitti
that you can do in this game really reminds me of
Banksy's works

Who knows? Maybe SP was able to get some designs from
Banksy
. haha

Just my 2 cents.

That's kind of a bummer to me. I knew that this wasn't directly connected and that they were trying to reach a new audience but I figured the legacy of the series would make its mark somehow. That's crazy that you don't meet any of the old characters or even hear about them.
I think I heard Empire City and New Marais mentioned on random radio broadcasts at one point.

Also there is some kind of Cole McGrath DLC but it's not live yet, I entered the code but couldn't download it.

Question, does the game stay a certain time of day until you progress in the story?
It seems that way. I wish it was a dynamic day night cycle.

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, but Cole is not mentioned once.

Soi-Fong

Man.. It's pissing me off how many people are trying to downplay this game. Either nitpicking the hell out of it or saying complete shit like "Thief looks better than inFamous."

I am seriously wondering what they are smoking.

Top Bottom