• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Space (DS) |OT| of Portable Space Opera Epicness

botticus

I should be doing hw said:
In the process of doing that but the General bumrushes me twice in one sitting, immediately after I beat him once I have to fight him again and I lose because I'm not at full strength. Because I'm not 100% on where to go I'm just aimlessly flying and he shows up regardless. I've fought the same guy over 10 times now, its fucking boring and pointless.
Are you not able to change your route back to a planet after each encounter?
If I'm remembering correctly, you're going to fight the guy like 5 times but there should be some story element that starts you on your way to finishing him off.

Kipe said:
Did you save the FSN leader from the pirates? If it's the boss fight for that chapter, you have to stay very close to their ship and shoot your shit low tier weapons at them.
I'm at this boss now...so what the fuck do I do? Could someone please elaborate?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just got to act 2 chapter 1. And whoa, i expected the twist. But i didn't expect yuri
to grow to be that bad-ass
.:D this game just keeps getting better and better.

EGM92

Lafiel said:
Just got to act 2 chapter 1. And whoa, i expected the twist. But i didn't expect yuri
to grow to be that bad-ass
.:D this game just keeps getting better and better.

You and me both. I just got to act 2 chapter 1 as well, I didn't like the twist :( I rarly have WTF?! moments in games, I knew it was gonna happen deep down inside, I just didn't want to admit it. With the talks in the taverns with what the pirate chick said about
taking care of Nia no matter what and conversation that Nia and Semias were having you'd think she'd be alive still :(
. Really love the game, sank officially 24hrs on the save file, but I've lost easily 5-7hrs of gameplay when I lost a damn random battle and forgot to save.

Kipe

I should be doing hw said:
I'm at this boss now...so what the fuck do I do? Could someone please elaborate?

When the fight starts press forward until you're at melee range and then fire whatever weapons that are green. Stay out of the range of his weapons by keeping very close to his ship. You might also want to look into placing Kira in the leadership role so you can heal durability with her special command ability.

sohois

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Need HELP

Im at a part where I need to take out a ship thats behind 4 shied ships
(Near Dorado) and I can't do enough damage.

What chapter is that? The only battles like that i remember either triggered a story event after like 30 seconds , or you would have to use "formation foe" - the ability of Gen/Alik in order to target the flagship.

sohois said:
What chapter is that? The only battles like that i remember either triggered a story event after like 30 seconds , or you would have to use "formation foe" - the ability of Gen/Alik in order to target the flagship.

Its in Chapter 1 of Yuri the man your given a choice of helping the rebels or the government and I chose the rebels.
I think I need to use Alik like you said but I don't now how.

ag-my001

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Its in Chapter 1 of Yuri the man your given a choice of helping the rebels or the government and I chose the rebels.

You're on the same fight I am. According to the people at the bottom of page 9/top of 10, multi-attack weapons are the way to go, and you've just got to trust to dumb luck that you'll hit the stealth ship. You can go back to previous sectors to find a remodeling shop if you need to switch your weapons up.

sohois

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:

The Escondido chapter i think you're referring to. I chose the government so i haven't played that battle, but Gen Nadiy should be able to use Formation foe for you. Just place him in the first officer position and then use Special Ability 2 in battle - note that it's only temporary.

ag-my001 said:
You're on the same fight I am. According to the people at the bottom of page 9/top of 10, multi-attack weapons are the way to go, and you've just got to trust to dumb luck that you'll hit the stealth ship. You can go back to previous sectors to find a remodeling shop if you need to switch your weapons up.

Damn that sucks, Is there a type of cannon that that has a higher chance of hitting it.

sohois said:
The Escondido chapter i think you're referring to. I chose the government so i haven't played that battle, but Gen Nadiy should be able to use Formation foe for you. Just place him in the first officer position and then use Special Ability 2 in battle - note that it's only temporary.

Thanks for the help I'll try that now.

Kipe

Did you leave Gen behind? If yes then you need two or more ships that can carry fighters. My strategy was to stay far back to avoid any damage and let my fighters destroy the boss. If no then place Gen as your first officer and use Formation Foe. Alik is useless as first officer where you are at right now.

Celery&Lager said:
How long is this game taking into account any side-quests etc?

50+ hours.

jesusraz

Two rather contrasting reviews...

There's mine at Cubed3: 8/10
Then there's Pocket Gamer's: 6/10

If we did half integer scores, it would have been an 8.5 from me. Really enjoyed it, despite the odd flaw. Pocket Gamer seems to rip into it in places, though, which is a shame...

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Yep lest Gen, I'll have to chip away at them.
Good thing I don't have anything else to do today.

i was in the same position as you, and just worked out an easy way to do it without Gen

fighters. i traded in an old ship for one of the new carriers available around then, and loaded it up with the best fighters i could get. fighters ignore fleet positioning and so i just stayed out of range of his attacks as best i could and let them do the work. if you watch the enemy you can see how much damage the fighters are doing. took a minute or two at with fighters doing ~120 damage a hit to beat him.

edit: ahh already posted

Almyn

Kerrinck said:
For euro users, is this game region locked? Thinking of getting it but my Dsi is a US one.

There is nothing on the box that mentions dsi regions, Unlike the sonic collection which was mentioned on the forum before.

Foxix Von

Celery&Lager said:
How long is this game taking into account any side-quests etc?

It's long man, especially for a hand held game. I've been casually playing this off an on for around 18~ish hours and I've still barely scratched the surface. I still haven't gotten any fighters yet.

I think, after reading some reviews if you really plowed through it you maybe get away with 40 hours or so but to really see everything and really dig into it... ah here.

RPGfan said:
"A single playthrough takes between 60 and 80 hours and will easily go over 100 if you get into ship customization and side missions. Let me break down the former just a tick."

ag-my001

I've got to hand it to the devs for the events of 2-6. Any game that can make me spend half an hour building a ship out of pure spite for what just happened gets a thumbs up. And that's just the one event; that whole chapter is a roller coaster.

I also realized I'm going to need an FAQ for a second time through the game. I was stuck at one point and couldn't find the next trigger, so I opened up a walkthrough. There I see that I've missed a recruitment because I (foolishly) kept moving forward in a battle chain when time was of the essence, when of course the correct action was to take a break at a bar...

I'm hoping to finish this up in the next day or two. Been totally worth the purchase. I realize the Dodge/Normal/Barrage type mechanic is much more suited to a handheld, but I can't help but wonder why I haven't seen games with this type of story and customization on the consoles. Maybe there are and I just don't know about them; this topic was the only reason I knew about this game after all.

mjc

Any general tips for starting up? I've only put in about two hours so far, still trying to wrap my head around things.

ag-my001

mjc said:
Any general tips for starting up? I've only put in about two hours so far, still trying to wrap my head around things.

Keep a real close eye on the color of the enemy's status and remember that they operate under the same rules as you. If you see them go from red -> yellow or yellow -> green, then they used Dodge, so you shouldn't barrage. Also remember that their weapons are the sames as yours. For some bosses, it's helpful to get into close range where only their (and your) weakest weapons can fire. Hold a Dodge until they use a Barrage/Special, then use your own. Then dodge, cycle and repeat. It can take a while, but you'll win. Finally, fighters > all. The challenge for my second playthrough is to only use one carrier, instead of the 3 + 2 Battleship (with hangars) I used on the first.

For the FAQ question, GameFAQs as always has a decent one, though it leaves out an early recruitment that is required to advance the story. If you find yourself stuck in Chapter 2 because the military guys won't talk to you, head around to find a named/pictured NPC to join you, then you'll be fine. Other than that the FAQ seems to have most everything, including the various benefits of taking certain branches in the story.

7Th

I'm two hours into the game and I'm not really feeling the battle system. What am I supposed to do? Is it really just about holding Dodge while keeping myself close to the enemy and waiting for them to attack so that I can immediately counter with Barrage? :/

ag-my001

That's the really safe, really slow way to do it. In most battles, you'll want to stay in your normal attack range and be prepared to Dodge if it looks like they're charging up. The "stay in close" method is mainly for some early bosses whose Normal attack can take out 1/2 your ship's durability. Later in the game you can get fighters, which opens up the "pin them down with fighters, stay back, then charge in/barrage/back out.

Totakeke

7Th said:
I'm two hours into the game and I'm not really feeling the battle system. What am I supposed to do? Is it really just about holding Dodge while keeping myself close to the enemy and waiting for them to attack so that I can immediately counter with Barrage? :/

The battle system is kinda meh. I'd tell you what to do but part of the fun is figuring out what works (breaks) the game and sticking with it until it doesn't work anymore and repeating the process again.

I'm interested in picking this up, but I'm worried that it's difficult and I'll just get frustrated with it. I don't like grinding, and I don't like doing tedious quests. I love space operas, micromanagement, and airships. Will I like this?

vesp

I know this is a rather subjective question, but when does the game click for most people?

I picked this up with SMT:SJ a few weeks back and played the first couple of hours. Eventually got annoyed that I never really knew what was going in both in terms of where I should be heading (which is kinda ok) and general game mechanics like what skills do what, what all the crew slots actually do, when and how to get more ship slots. Dropped it for SMT which while it has some of its own problems was instantly familar and enjoyable for the first 20 or 30 hours until the dungeon crawling became too bogged down by teleports, pit falls, and unmappable dark areas. Whereas normally if I drop a game, I don't really go back, the current economic climate has made continually buying new games unsustainable and I really do love the idea, tone, and presentation of the game and want to get back into it if it does eventually click and become awesome.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I don't know. To me, the game has that classic PC game charm where discovery of the nuances and game rules is a big part of the experience. That said, it didn't take more than 2 or so chapters for things to "click" for me. The gameplay isn't terribly complicated, and there's tons of advice riddling this thread.

egocrata

Banned
It is me, or this game is getting really hard to find lately? I went to three Gamestops and they were sold out - and they told me the game is out of print. Best Buy doesn´t even carry it.

7Th

Just got through the game by abusing Fighters and not doing any kind of real customization besides filling my Carriers with Intrigo-type Fighters; the battle system was super-lame and the story felt really incomplete and with loads of wasted plot-lines that end abruptly or are completely forgotten and never brought again, but I think I enjoyed it regardless.

egocrata

Banned
I have been playing the crap out of this game, and I am really mad that the manual that came with it is so terrible. It is a very old-school game; it will be right at home in one of those giant boxes with giant manuals PC releases of the 90s.

Oh well, what can one say.

Anyway, I am having a bit of trouble getting enough cash to buy trinkets and goodies - I still have to stick the Daisy in my fleet sometimes :( . Is there any quick way to earn money? Any good cash grinds?

darkvir

I'm on chapter 5 now. The story events have picked up quite a bit, its really quite nice. I found myself grinding a bit in a couple of areas (usually before boss fights), so the pacing could have been tuned. Overall though, at 17 hours, its fantastic!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mejilan said:
I REALLY need to get back into this game!
Here here. I blame other games distracting me.:/
But i am getting a dsi xl in the near future, probably just hold off until i get that.:D

Mejilan

That's definitely the reason for me.
I've also been waiting for a decently mature FAQ to hit so that I don't have to sniff around every single planet after every single story sequence for new quests, recruits, secrets, etc.

lachesis

Gold Member
Well, just finished the game today. My 1st round, finished around 74 hours. Pretty much an overkill for for the last boss, (with pretty maxed out 3 BBs - won't name them -, and a couple of carriers filled with 110 fighters - the end game was pretty easy).

It's definitely up in my alley. The storyline and characters and settings definitely reminds me of "legend of galactic heroes", plus little bit of Gurrenragan to me. Niall Eremond chracter is a definite give-away, although he only plays such a small part.

Anyhow...

I thought the game was pretty quriky. Not sure I really loved every moment, but I was definitely into it - probably because I'm a "LOGH" nut. :) I just wished there'd be a little more tactical aespects in ship battles and all.

Decent, enjoyable and galactically epic storyline. Nice bunch of characters and all. Something started so.. innocently, yet it ends up pretty epic. Great customization, but with high leveled characters towards end, it's gets pretty pointless - as when the characters are around 30lv, their respective post's stat's are pretty high - some going over 80s easily... which just allows to boost up the ship's hw only, rather than livability and other stuff. User interface itself could use a bit more polishing - menus and all. Didn't really like much of the graphics either. Illustration wasn't especially to my likings, nor 3d graphics never really impressed me in this game - but considering it's a DS game, I guess there is limitation. However, I just wished if this game was to be released on PS3 or X360, it could have been pretty awesome - especially the battle scenes, and some HD FMV event scenes that could have spiced up the whole thing quite nicely.

It's pretty linear game - but very easy to get overwhelmed, as sometimes the directives are not clear enough and many times, I had to run around and poke around different sectors just to find the story progression point.

Other than that.. I enjoyed the game rather throughly. I'm actually little burned out for the game due to heavy grinding - but it's not a surprise that it did pretty well in Japan. Many rough points, and sometimes it gets pretty overwhelming because lack of information available - but that itself is a part of the game's charm, it seems. You just don't know what's going to happen.

But all in all, it just did wonders for my itching for some LOGH. :) Now I want to read the books all over again...

justchris

There is a pretty good FAQ on gamefaqs now, and it's designed to be non-spoilery. There's also a pretty good ship guide.

I'm just now starting extra mode, but it doesn't look like it will be that interesting. The story was 70% of the enjoyment I got out of this game.

darkvir

the events leading up to "becoming a man" are truly epic! so far, the game hasn't been that hard.

26 hours in and still really enjoying it!

Mejilan

justchris said:
There is a pretty good FAQ on gamefaqs now, and it's designed to be non-spoilery. There's also a pretty good ship guide.

Yeah, just about all it's missing is side quests, unfortunately.

Edgeward

I want to get this but I don't have much time in my portable gaming on a daily basis so how is the save system? Can I save anywhere, especially mid battle?

Mejilan

You can save at any planet or stopping point, that I recall.
Definitely not mid-battle, however.
Aren't that many RPGs that allow that, though.
Battles are quite short though, especially with judicious use of the L and R buttons to fast-forward text and skip animations.

sohois

Edgeward said:
I want to get this but I don't have much time in my portable gaming on a daily basis so how is the save system? Can I save anywhere, especially mid battle?

The save system is pretty good, since you're able to save on every planet, but you cannot save mid-battle. It's generaly not too difficult to save when you like though, as long you don't embark on an obvious boss fight before you want to save. Boss fights are the main time spender in this game, with some lasting up to 30mins (including story sequences), but i wouldn't imagine it would be a massive problem.

Mejilan

Probably a good choice.
Had some kind of special end-of-year award existed for the "new IP that had tons of potential when first unveiled and upon release surprisingly delivered pleasantly while mostly satisfying a classic video game itch I didn't know I still had!" category, Infinite Space would probably win it for me this year. :D

MechaX

Okay, picked this game up at a not-quite-discounted price from GameCrazy's closing sales. I've been looking at this game for awhile because I'm a sucker for the entire space opera Privateer/Wing Commander-esque stories and there can never be too many DS RPGs to play. That, and my GameCrazy virtually had no other games I was interested in playing that had a comparable length to Infinite Space.

So far... Huh. I'm pretty conflicted. While I'm only two hours into the game, this game is so strange because for everything it does well, it does something wrong in a rather ameteurish missteps rather than doing things fundamentally wrong. The story and characters are pretty interesting and the dub is... listenable. I wish that Platinum went the 2D route because 3D graphics on the DS are usually pretty ugly. The music is there, but the audio direction is atrocious with loud, garbled sound-effects effectively drowning the music and voice acting. The customization seems pretty deep, but the menu interface is an absolute nightmare (especially when buying weapons), being among the worst I've recently encountered in a game. The omission of a Quest Log is really, really odd. And it doesn't help that most of these planet names are not memorable in the slightest.

The battle system is adequate thus far. It's quite intense on boss battles, but some fights became rather silly when turning on dodge, and repeatedly backing up and going forward (while the enemy ship does the same) while trying to bait the enemy into firing in order to counter with a barrage. I wish that the game took a straight up SRPG approach to things, but eh. The battle system isn't terrible and it's still early on.

However, I do have to ask something: Can you actually pause in mid-battle? I was in a rush to get somewhere today, but it didn't help that seemingly every button failed in pausing the game and I got dragged into a 3-chain battle. Again, simply an odd, ameteurish mistake on Platinum's part provided that there actually is no way to pause the game.

I'll need to play more of it to get a better grasp on stuff, but I do have a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that I might not have made the best purchase in this case.

thomaser

MechaX said:
However, I do have to ask something: Can you actually pause in mid-battle? I was in a rush to get somewhere today, but it didn't help that seemingly every button failed in pausing the game and I got dragged into a 3-chain battle. Again, simply an odd, ameteurish mistake on Platinum's part provided that there actually is no way to pause the game.

You can close the DS.

Top Bottom