• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Space (DS) |OT| of Portable Space Opera Epicness

darkvir

Just finished! 48:48:52 was my clear time. I had a very enjoyable time trudging through space with this one. Highlights are the story and characters, I also liked getting all the new ships. Combat, while simple, was fun as well.

I may take a break from this one before trying Extra Mode and New Game +. Overall, two big thumbs up!

I finally started playing the game. I'm about four hours in and so far I think it's really bad. :(

There hasn't been much story I could comment on. Boy lost his family, wants to discover fathers true intentions or something, does space adventure and there apparently are mysterious people with unknown purposes. Not very exciting, but I'm sure something will happen.

Then there is the character/ship/fleet development and management. The ships have a shit ton of skills and each crew member has skills and abilities itself, which in turn influence the ships skills, which are also influenced by modules. Well, so far, so good...but the game is awfully great at not telling me what each skill and everything else exactly does. It's throwing all this shit at me and if I'm crazy enough to actually want to know what everything does I have to rely on a badly organized and confusing "Help" menu, which is not accessible at any time.

I honestly don't feel like I have to know about all this stuff at this point, because the battles are not very challenging anyway, but I still want to know. It's not very fun for me to not know what the adjustments on my fleet actually do. And even if I look this stuff up I feel like I'm not getting any indications on how it's actually influencing my fleets/ships strengths -- for all I know I could randomly assign crew members and I would be fine. Feels like I'm playing a game blindfolded and the many abbreviations certainly don't help.

It's actually very common for RPGs to not be very descriptive when it comes to such subtleties. It always annoys me, but most of the time it's not that bad, because this stuff tends to be more or less self explanatory to the point where it's acceptable to look up the one or two vague things -- but IS is really pissing me off with its obscure and unconventional skill names and functions.

So yeah....there is this extremely complex and customizable character management system on the one hand and on the other hand there is a battle system that is unchallenged in its simplicity. I played games of rock-paper-scissors that were more exciting and tactical. I almost feel like I'm missing something there, because this cannot possibly be the reward for working my way through tons of menus and status screens. I thought FFXIII was already very good at excluding the player from the actual battle event and making the game playable for retards, but IS is heartbreakingly worse.
The EXP/fame rewards also seem frustratingly negligible.

I was not super excited for Infinite Space, but I had reasonable expectations which the game is not even close to meet. I'll definitely play it some more and I hope something clicks with me, but I really don't like it so far. :(

Haunted

Finished the game yesterday, after playing on and off for what felt like an eternity.

Man, I gotta say that I didn't expect this to be such a sprawling, epic space opera. Such a grand scope for a handheld title, it's fucking audacious, and Platinum needs to be commended for it.

I do think it suffers from some questionable design decisions (no quest log??) and it has way too many missables, which is why I had to consult FAQs constantly, but man, when all is said and done, it really was a rollercoaster ride worthy of the space opera moniker.

The atmosphere and vibe throughout really makes this Crest/Banner of the Stars: The Game (I'm a fan, so that's definitely a compliment). Even if it's sometimes silly, and chock full of sci-fi clichés, you've just gotta appreciate its scope. Like I said, audacious. And I can respect that.

duckroll

Why don't we commend the people who actually made it? Platinum helped make it happen by producing it, sure, but Nudemaker created the game!

wsippel

Banned
Amazing game, despite some shortcomings. The
fake ending
is one of the best moments I've ever witnessed in a game. Really hope there will be a sequel (3DS would be nice). I believe Nudemaker was quite happy with the sales and the reception?

ksamedi

I played about 20 hours but I never really got into the game. It has so many flaws. The battle system is boring and you'd think that the customization aspect would remedy that but somehow I don't feel what the effect of my customizations are enough to really care. There being no log is also a big flaw and something that makes the game unplayable if you want to enjoy pick up and play experiences on vacations. You have to go deep into this game for a couple of days/weeks to really enjoy it I think.

Haunted

duckroll said:
Why don't we commend the people who actually made it? Platinum helped make it happen by producing it, sure, but Nudemaker created the game!
Who came up with the concept, I didn't pay attention to the credits. >_> That guy/team deserves the largest praise. :D

edit: Hifumi Kono of Nudemaker? Audacious man. I like it.

But yeah, obviously kudos to all involved creating this and actually bringing it to us. Nudemaker, Platinumgames, Sega.

Glix

Got this used for $25. A steal! This game is totally amazing! :D

I just did the first major battle, it was so hard, took me a number of tries. I love that you have to assign crew to different roles, and have to have room for all your modules and stuff. I'm gonna be spending a lot of time with this!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So Im watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes and the scope and visuals are really making me yearn for more Infinite Space, but Ive already beaten the game 3 times so Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions of similar epic space opera type games.

Ive already played stuff like Nexus the Jupiter Incident, Homeworld 1 & 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire and none of those really satisfy my needs. I wish Sega would give Nude Maker the go ahead to make a sequel. I would totallybuyt a 3DS at launch had they made an Infinite Space 2 for it, but since not I probably wont pick one up for at least a year.

Also if you have any interest in this game buy it, you wont regret it.

Emotions

This game has gotten pretty rare to get a hold off... fortunately i got a sealed copy a few months ago (US version).. It seems Sega only printed a few copies and never cared again about it

Woo-Fu said:
I created a money-making fleet.

1 Battleship
4 Junkyard Cruisers

The cruisers have holds, accounting office, and shop.

Makes 500-800 per waypoint.

Made the ~80k I spent outfitting the Junkyard cruisers in about 10 minutes.

You....can do that? Just flying around "trading"?

Castor Krieg said:
You....can do that? Just flying around "trading"?

Not sure how far you are in the game but after you
beat Merril in Chapter 14
you have a large sector without random encounters. Buying 5 Junkyards and running about full of holds, for half an hour or more. Will easily make you hundreds of thousands of G.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
ukresistance said:
you have a large sector without random encounters. Buying 5 Junkyards and running about full of holds, for half an hour or more. Will easily make you hundreds of thousands of G.

Yeah, I would go as far as to day this is necessary towards the end of the game. Unless you have a really pimping fleet the battles become tiresome extremely quickly.

ukresistance said:

I'm only in Chapter 3 so far, what I meant was if you earn money just by having correct ship/modules combination using some sort of abilities, or do you simply carry huge hold for all the junk you get somewhere? Awesome if it's the first one.

Reknoc

Castor Krieg said:
I'm only in Chapter 3 so far, what I meant was if you earn money just by having correct ship/modules combination using some sort of abilities, or do you simply carry huge hold for all the junk you get somewhere? Awesome if it's the first one.

Holds and Shop modules automatically give you extra money whenever you stop at a planet.

dave_d

Emotions said:
This game has gotten pretty rare to get a hold off... fortunately i got a sealed copy a few months ago (US version).. It seems Sega only printed a few copies and never cared again about it

Seems like the best way to find it is to get it at a local Gamestop. (Which is what I did months ago.) Basically just go on their web site, look it up and then use the store finder to find out which stores actually have it.

Reknoc said:
Holds and Shop modules automatically give you extra money whenever you stop at a planet.

Thanks for the answer.

One more question - are there any characters of ship you battle or build that are considered "legendary" in IS universe? You can put the answer in spoiler tags if you wish.

Castor Krieg said:
Thanks for the answer.

One more question - are there any characters of ship you battle or build that are considered "legendary" in IS universe? You can put the answer in spoiler tags if you wish.
There are a couple of ships that you're probably going to miss without reading a FAQ. You don't need them to beat the game, but they're pretty cool. You also don't need to trade goods(I didn't), but it kinda sucks when you don't have any money to experiment with.

Just started again, and omfg I played like a retard before - just now I discovered I can put Kira to 1st Officer to get Heal. I have some questions:

1. Do "C" skills only activate when a person is assigned 1st Officer post?

2. I understand "A" skills are more like passive bonuses? Help doesn't give any description of the "A" skills, do they become active when I assign a person to specific post?

3. What's the blue bar underneath HP?

EDIT: Ok, I figured out passive skills - they were in fact in Help Section. Do e.g. multiple ppl with Cool & Calm stack together?

I should actually return to Infinite Space, I bought it a few months back after finding out Platinum (now I know Nuke Maker made it) had a hand in this game. Played it, I got extremely confused and put it back on the shelf to eventually forget about its existence. :-(

Now, I actually want to play it after Radiant Historia and Tactic Ogres. I don't want to burn out on it again simply because I don't know what to do, so does anyone have any suggestion of how to "play" Infinite Space?

AniHawk

i've been playing this on and off and i'm pretty confused at how certain shit works. am i just not looking at something that tells me exactly how far away i am from a ship? how do i unlock these character skills? i upgrade to an orvskey or whatever it's called, and i'm still getting my ass kicked at the ch2 boss fight.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
AniHawk said:
i've been playing this on and off and i'm pretty confused at how certain shit works. am i just not looking at something that tells me exactly how far away i am from a ship? how do i unlock these character skills? i upgrade to an orvskey or whatever it's called, and i'm still getting my ass kicked at the ch2 boss fight.

These should help you with most everything you need to know. The rest will come with time and experience. The game isnt too hard once you know how things work. Introducing players to the mechanics was one of the few things I found the game did poorly, and likely one of the larger reasons this game wont likely get a sequel.

Tutorial 1

Tutorial 2

Tutorial 3

AniHawk

Enduin said:
These should help you with most everything you need to know. The rest will come with time and experience. The game isnt too hard once you know how things work. Introducing players to the mechanics was one of the few things I found the game did poorly, and likely one of the larger reasons this game wont likely get a sequel.

Tutorial 1

Tutorial 2

Tutorial 3

thanks, i'll check those out.

I saw this on sale for 9.90 today and picked it up just for the hell of it.

Now I'm afraid to start playing the game as I just finished a monster RPG for Wii and don't have exactly time for a new one.
Is it possible to take 1-2weeks breaks in between without forgeting everything?

(I'm pretty good and experienced in hardcore RPGs. so, no noob)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
iamaustrian said:
I saw this on sale for 9.90 today and picked it up just for the hell of it.

Now I'm afraid to start playing the game as I just finished a monster RPG for Wii and don't have exactly time for a new one.
Is it possible to take 1-2weeks breaks in between without forgeting everything?

(I'm pretty good and experienced in hardcore RPGs. so, no noob)

The game definitely lives up to the whole 'space opera' thing, and has NO kind of journaling system in place for story progress or quests. Keep that in mind as you play!

dallow_bg said:
On sale where?

I saw it at least in 5 "Libro" stores for 9.90. They had tons of DS games(almost 3/4 of their DS stock) reduced to 9.90 lately. I guess that's the fault of the 3DS launch. There are some really nice RPGs involved also, so I will pick up some more.
Keep in mind that I'm from austria though

The game definitely lives up to the whole 'space opera' thing, and has NO kind of journaling system in place for story progress or quests. Keep that in mind as you play!

oh boy, thanks for advice. will start to play anyway
:p

AniHawk

so i chose zenita.

kVajk.gif

AniHawk

well i finally beat it. game clock says 38 hours. real time is probably an even 40.

gotta say, i really wasn't impressed when i started it. you have to have a certain mindset to play it, and if i'd done my research beforehand, i probably wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't at the same place i found 999 when 999 was difficult to find. saving takes a while, the plot is slow-moving, and a lot of information isn't explained to the player. there isn't even a journal to see if you're on track to the right place, in case you accidentally skipped that part of a conversation or put the game down for a few days.

but once i got into it, i liked it. story was a bit goofy at the start, kinda like a darker skies of arcadia. then at the midway point, it turns into an extremely dark game. good god. i wouldn't say the story's great, but i think a lot of the dramatic moments hit home (where in the first half they came across as hokey). the whole thing with the
desmond gate
was unnerving. and then stuff like
franny's death, kira's 'death', katida's embrace of the dark side
all worked in the space
soap
opera feel of it all. a couple of the story points i did like were
one, that the game basically starts the moment yuri is brought into existence and, two, that the 'magic' in the story was really beings beyond our comprehension.
that they didn't just make everything up (lmc and smc being real things), was nice too.

as much as i was really enjoying the game, by about chapter 12 or 13, i realized just how broken the battle system was. when i faced off against the last boss, i had 5 ships, four of which had hangars, for a total of 220 intigro fighters. against normal enemies, i had been doing about 350-400 dps while i just sat back on the left side of the battle field with dodge on, just in case they got close enough to try a barrage attack. and it was even easier with the ability to heal.

overall, really interesting game. it's the most i've ever spent with a handheld title not named pokemon (or link's awakening, probably- but i played that one to completion three times). glad i got it too. rare/hard-to-find and praised sega rpgs seem to happen at least once every generation and at least i got in on it this time.

Dire

Maybe a LTTP thread would be more appropriate, but this thread is what got me re-interested in this game so... Anyhow, this game is incredible - once you realize its incredible beforehand! I tried to start this game about 3 or 4 times and invariably would permanently quit the game within 2-3 hours. This game's biggest downfall is that for quite a large part of the early game, you can get through every single battle with ease by simply rushing the enemy, barraging, sitting there waiting for it to recharge and barraging some more. It felt incredibly boring and pointless. Its wasn't until I had advanced somewhat further in the story and watched the video tutorials linked from this thread that the game really started to come alive.

Ah now the joys of rushing in, prepping dodge when it looks like my opponent is going to be charging for the barrage and laying down the normals the times he tries to preempt by barrages himself, or countering his normals out of the red with a barrage + insta dodge followup, and all the other variety of strategies. Combat is suddenly fun and interesting.

The story is still pretty much entirely abstract by design but I'm having run just slowly progressing it while growing and improving my fleet. I really have no complaints, this game is just grand fun and its so incredibly refreshing to play a game where I actually see a Game Over screen every once in a while.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This game needs to get a sequel on the 3DS is has so much potential, the combat was very solid but had a lot of room to grow and expand and the setting is unlike any other game. I really have no plans to get a 3DS any time in the next year or more, but if an Infinite Space 2 was announced I dont think I could hold back. For me on the DS it was the quintessential "just 5 more minutes" game, I wanted to see what the next planet or system had to offer, get those few thousand credits for a new upgrade or ship or advance to the next plot point. There was always something preventing me from putting the game down. Out of the likely 100+ games Ive played on the system very few in my mind match the joy and fun I had with Infinite Space.

Anyone reading this thread who is interested but hesitant or unsure about getting the game, I implore you to pick it up and give it a chance, I highly doubt you will regret it. Watch the youtube tutorials and dont be discouraged if you struggle for the first couple hours, things will pick up a lot rather quickly.

Zhengi

Sorry for the bump, but I recently started playing Infinite Space, and I curse myself for doing so. This game is so addictive that I couldn't stop playing. I'm in the freaking middle of the semester and it has really cut into my HW time. This is an incredible game.

Last night, I finished it for the first time and it only took me 53 hours. I want to go through it again, but I am disappointed that I didn't sell some of my ships from the last game to get extra money and only have about 40k to start out in the new game. Unfortunately, I already saved over the last save file, lol. Still, it's an awesome game and I definitely want to go through it one more time to go through the other routes.

Thanks for the recommendation of this game, GAF. You hit a homerun with this game.

Gvaz

Banned
When I beat this game I sent a heartfelt email to the developers. I hope they got it.

This was probably my GOTY of 2010, even over all the other AAA games, this one stuck with me overall. It was just so wonderful and if I had a million dollars I'd buy a million copies and give them away to everyone

Picked this up earlier in the week based on GAF's recommendation (£15 brand new, can't complain), it'll just go on my backlog pile for now but from what I've seen the game looks very interesting and I don't think I've played anything like it before.

Roto13

I need to try this game again. I bought it last year and it was really confusing (even after watching those tutorial videos) and a lot of things weren't really properly explained so I lost interest. Lately I've been considering starting over and using some guides and shit right from the beginning. You never need working shoulder buttons to play this game, right? :p

slaughterking said:
I can't get over how bad and boring the battles are. They make FFXIII look like a real RPG. :(
"I can't get over how bad and boring the battles are compared to one of the greatest battle systems in an RPG." (A year later.)

Gvaz

Banned
I don't remember honestly. once you get fighters, just make the best fighters and use fighters every time.

until then the combat is pretty easy and you can fast forward through battles if you want.

Top Bottom