• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Space (DS) |OT| of Portable Space Opera Epicness

Totakeke

botticus said:
I'm a little confused in 2-2:
I'm trying to get Ochoa, but he's in his invisible ship. I finally chose "Give up" when prompted, and nicely lost 50 fame. Is that the only way to be able to hit him with multi-attack shots, or is there something else I can do?

It's not necessary to give up and take the fame hit to do what you're supposed to do.

botticus

Enduin said:
Youve got 4 more to go but theyre all pretty lengthy. But even then after that you have Newgame+ to carry your progress over in and see the missions you opted out of in the first playthrough and then you have the Extra mode which gives you every character in the game for your crew and pits you against a ton of bosses in rearranged sectors.
! That is awesome.

I will say the missables in this game are kind of a downer. Seems like in order to get everything without a walkthrough you'd have to visit every planet in every available sector and talk to each person two or three times after every event.

justchris

botticus said:
I'm a little confused in 2-2:
I'm trying to get Ochoa, but he's in his invisible ship. I finally chose "Give up" when prompted, and nicely lost 50 fame. Is that the only way to be able to hit him with multi-attack shots, or is there something else I can do?

Sorry, I know this is late, but you don't actually have to use the fame for that strategy to work. The only thing I recommend is don't use fighters. You have to put as many shots out there as you can, and fighters kill your other targets too quickly. That was my key to winning this battle.

ag-my001

botticus said:
! That is awesome.

I will say the missables in this game are kind of a downer. Seems like in order to get everything without a walkthrough you'd have to visit every planet in every available sector and talk to each person two or three times after every event.

How bad is the backtracking to get things? I've been going to every planet in the current sector after each major story point (I'm at the end of Chapter 3), but I haven't been going back to the first zones. Am I missing a bunch of stuff? Will I if I keep this up?

picked this up yesterday, very cool so far though playing when sleepy makes me dielots.

a lot harder to begin with than i expected, hit up the help and may even read the manual at some point :lol

EGM92

I grabbed this game used today at a steal, 15$! I'm loving the shit out of it, put at least 8hrs into it since this morning.

Quick question, I got 3 battleships, the modules, if I have lets say a shop in one, does it effect the others aswell? or whatever about a radar, etc?

Thanks

botticus

ag-my001 said:
How bad is the backtracking to get things? I've been going to every planet in the current sector after each major story point (I'm at the end of Chapter 3), but I haven't been going back to the first zones. Am I missing a bunch of stuff? Will I if I keep this up?
I honestly haven't been following an FAQ or anything, so odds are I've missed a ton. In the second act there have been a number of cases of needing to go back to a previous area to catch something. Not always bad, but some require you do that at a certain point in the story or you miss it.

I really wish they got rid of these "now fly around space for an indeterminate amount of time and wait for the story to call you" events.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
botticus said:
I honestly haven't been following an FAQ or anything, so odds are I've missed a ton. In the second act there have been a number of cases of needing to go back to a previous area to catch something. Not always bad, but some require you do that at a certain point in the story or you miss it.

I really wish they got rid of these "now fly around space for an indeterminate amount of time and wait for the story to call you" events.

I don't mind it. Gives me a chance to go to a side mission, or rack up cash through random encounters and visiting planets with my cargo holds.

Mr_Appleby said:
picked this up yesterday, very cool so far though playing when sleepy makes me dielots.

a lot harder to begin with than i expected, hit up the help and may even read the manual at some point :lol

oh dear, last night i got some great pieces for ships i thought were too big to fit in anything i had, so ignored them and proceeded to die a lot.

today realised i was looking at the zoomed in image on the top screen :/

they fit fine. game is so much easier :lol

botticus

Act 2, Chapter 5 - I just got my ass kicked in melee for the first time (multiple times) since like the first melee battles. A quick upgrade of all my ships' security offices to level 7 fixed that up.

I think there are almost too many options. I can now have 5 ships in my fleet, but I can't make up my mind. I've been running pretty well with a carrier, battleship, and two cruisers. I've thought about adding a shield ship, or a second carrier, or a second battleship, or both and dumping one of my cruisers, or all three and dumping both my cruisers!

As it is, I'll just sit with 4 until I find I'm having trouble progressing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Great pay-off for beating him.
Remember, 'no mercy' is the right path, though you get the pay-off regardless.
:D

Woo-Fu

Banned
ag-my001 said:

you're missing stuff. go back regularly. Seeing as how you get credits for travel and credits/exp/fame for random encounters, you're killing a bunch of birds with one stone.

Mejilan said:
Great pay-off for beating him.
Remember, 'no mercy' is the right path, though you get the pay-off regardless.
:D

Part of the challenge was that I was going into the fight with him with already damaged ships due to the fight prior to the one with him.

I just realized that after the fight with the first pirate boss, I can stop my flight forward, turn around and go back to the nearest star base to repair and rest, etc.

It was like the game realized what I was doing though. :D

It sent three fights at me on the "way back" and my command meter was rising SO slowly because the crew was tired and I almost died BUT, fully repaired and rested. Now that bastard is going to get it.

Mejilan

IIRC, you can even get rid of the deflectors.
Oddly, you only need them during your first pass!

botticus

botticus said:
As it is, I'll just sit with 4 until I find I'm having trouble progressing.
Well that didn't take long. The race through the Gibraltar Sector is kicking my ass. Might be time to add some firepower by way of an Absoluta and a Janitsch, finally dumping my Junkyard.

Mejilan said:
IIRC, you can even get rid of the deflectors.
Oddly, you only need them during your first pass!

Fuckin wicked. I forgot how silly and awesome JRPGs can be. This is reminding me of the wooden weapon and Dark Elf fight end-around in FF II. Thanks man.

Finished this up tonight. Grinded to top fame rank,kitted out two Picaroon BB's to go alonside by Absoluta + 2x carriers with 60 fighters each. Pretty much swatted my way through the game at that point ( there was some grinding involved of course to do it, but only for a few hours for fame and the rest doing cargo fleet runs and escaping a lot for the huge sums of cash that requires).

I really liked the low-key, text-heavy presentation and intricate sci-fi story. It's neat because it's a much different sort of scifi than we see in American books/film-it's very Japanese, but not so in the usual anime JRPG get-along-gang/loli brigade fashion. It's rough, game isn't afraid to "break some eggs" with the story when it needs to, and, best of all, the characters remain very consistent throughout the game. They act as you would expect them to act based off their previous behavior, and that alone puts IS heads and above the characterization of most games where characters do whatever the hell is most convenient for the storyboard, previous behavior be damned.

I'm happy also that the battle system is so fast (because you do fight a lot, and need to fight for cash and fame) yet has enough unpredictability to burn you a bit, at least until you decide to snap the game's balance in half 2/3rds or so of the way through. Certain customization strategies and ship abilities are extremely powerful to the point of being abusive, but at least the game doesn't really break down until well after the game's story has its hooks in you enough to see it through. I haven't tried the extra mode yet but hopefully there is some nasty stuff there for advanced players.

The customization is really awesome in this game because of the way that it effects everything in the game. Literally everything in the game that you can manipulate you can min/max with appropriate customization, to the point where you can totally change the nature of how you fight battles-huge fighter waves ( I got up to 450/tick with one configuration ) or big guns picking off ships in direct fire. Fighters in large swarms seem kind of OP but for the cost it makes sense-carriers+huge fighters are really expensive. I like the "money" fleet option that they have with cargo holds for farming cash and totally abused that to raise cash for the endgame BB's and carriers.

Some of the issues do have some validity-the interface can be pretty obtuse, the lack of journal is a bit jarring, and some of the menus can get kind of crazy with scroll speed in the late part of the game. Those are really small complaints. What I don't get are some of the complaints about jarring difficultly-the game does a very good job actually providing combat feedback IF you don't skip the damage screens (so you can see what weapons are being fired and if they are hitting) that you can use to refine your tactics. If you're skipping battle damage reports during fights and wondering why you're getting killed, that's your problem, not one of the game's IMO.

Localization of the game seemed pretty solid-whoever did it handled it pretty well. I was happy to see that. I do with the game had better external documentation , but honestly it's no worse than most of the crazy PC games I play so I can't throw too big of stone given the size of a manual required and that there is good in-game help.

Very solid/good game. I don't think it really needs a sequel-the story seems complete, if the ending is a bit open-ended, but I would like to see more games that focus on a high degree of customization mixed with a story that is uniquely intricate due to the simple nature of the presentation of game.

Two thumbs up for sure. :D

duckroll

Congrats. I wonder how many people in this thread will end up beating the game. I think we have 2-3 people who have beaten it so far? :)

ag-my001

You gotta give us some more time. After reading all the posts and seeing a few instances of needing to talk to people multiple times to trigger stuff, I wasted a good five minutes seeing if an event would trigger by trying to go into Tatiana's hotel room ("No, that wouldn't be right") that would make her or Torlo leave the crew. Then I wasted an hour by wanting to check out how a cruiser with hangers worked (had just gotten the new designs), then had to reset it when I realized I had given it a gibberish name just to get to the module screen.

I'm really enjoying this game.

sohois

Thought i might warn everyone about a weird bug i found at the end of chapter 7/beginning of 8
Kalymnos route: After you finish beating Nova Nacio in chapter7 and you have to go to Kashtano, it's possible to return to the military headquarters of kalymnos, where you started the chapter 7 missions. If you do this, the game acts like you've never done chapter 7, and repeats the conversation you would have had upon arrival there, including giving you 5000g and Ensign Delis as a crew member - who of course died at the end of 7. However, this is not an opportunity to get free stuff, since once you advance to chapter 8, it seems you are unable to encounter the Regeinlandic fleet and advance the story.
People who have finished chapter 7 should be careful of triggering this and not having a backup save.

Anyway, i'm a bit into part 2 at them moment, and still really enjoying it.
Does anyone else think that yuri the man totally looks like Death Knight Arthas from Warcraft 3? EVerytime he appears on screen i imagine him yellingout "Frostmourne hungers!" and it makes every conversation hilarious.
. I'm currently breezing through the game with my current fleet (im in 2-4) and in most games i would complain that the difficulty is unbalanced, but i actually like it in Infinite Space, since the ships in 2-2 & 2-3 are supposed to be much weaker than what you can get according to the plot. Most games would just ignore that in order to make sure you're challenged, and i really appreciate that they actually follow their own story.

Hyunkel6

I'm stuck in chapter 2. Some captain
saved my ass during a boss battle
, and told me to go see him at the luske base. I went there, but he wasn't around. I roamed a bit, came back, still not there. What am I supposed to do? Thanks in advance.

botticus

duckroll said:
Congrats. I wonder how many people in this thread will end up beating the game. I think we have 2-3 people who have beaten it so far? :)
Man, 50 hours is a long time! I'm up to 42 hours or so in 2-6,
looking for Lennox again
. Just finished filling out my Absoluta's fighter squad - gives me a total of 146 between it, my two carriers, another battleship and a cruiser. Odds are I'm going to replace the cruiser with another battleship before the end, though I'm out of money once again.

Marty Chinn said:
Is Amazon and Gamestop the only place you can buy this game? Best Buy, Target, and Toys R Us don't seem to carry it at all.

I see it on sale at NewEgg and some other online retailers. I know that Target and Best Buy didn't decide to carry it.

The game is such a specific niche product that I'm not surprised that retail outlets were hesitant to carry it (or Sega hesitant to distribute it to them for fear of mass returns).

botticus

Luckily I beat the game or the thread would go 24 hours without a bump.

The endgame was a little underwhelming - seemed like you either had to rely on fighters or get walloped - even my 300k battleship got hit for a third of its durability with a normal attack from the last boss. The lack of story resolution was also disappointing. They did such a great job of getting you attached to all the main players only to let things end abruptly.

But overall, Infinite Space went from being a really iffy game for the first 20 hours to one of my favorite on the DS after 50.

deim0s

Time flies. Wasted... ahem... 5hrs, playing and a bit of grinding, didn't like the way I started Act 2. All I could say Cico, looks ridiculous! Like a maid in a peacock costume.

How would you rack up fame in the game? I'm getting 40-50 fame every battle... currently at 11k, a long way to even hit top 100.

botticus

deim0s said:
Time flies. Wasted... ahem... 5hrs, playing and a bit of grinding, didn't like the way I started Act 2. All I could say Cico, looks ridiculous! Like a maid in a peacock costume.

How would you rack up fame in the game? I'm getting 40-50 fame every battle... currently at 11k, a long way to even hit top 100.
I did very little grinding - maybe an hour or two total to get some money - and I ended up at #9. Once you get into the top 100 it seems to be pretty easy to go up ten ranks with every story sequence.

Can anyone give a quick rundown of the pros and cons of the various weapon types?

I'm guessing Solid Ammo ignore the armor stat or do they just ignore the effects of the - beam damage modules?

deim0s

It's your typical JRPG storyline if you're into that kind of thing. Some dark themes littered around as well.

Clocking in at 32 hrs right now and on chapter 3 of Act 2, seems I got a solid setup (I think) for the next few chapters: Argell, two Seitz destroyers in the middle and a Junkyard to soak up anything upfront. All kitted out with the largest lasers they could find.

Do MIRVs and the other AOE weapon are worth it in the long run?

Edit: Anothing thing... anyone know which planet to get the floria(?)/plant thing from a forest job from the bartender? Couldn't find it and prevents me on asking jobs from other bartenders atm.

vocab

deim0s said:
It's your typical JRPG storyline if you're into that kind of thing.

Well, I guess I'll take my space opera crave somewhere else. I should really start watching Logh, instead of playing games.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
vocab said:
Well, I guess I'll take my space opera crave somewhere else. I should really start watching Logh, instead of playing games.

Its worth your time, the plot itself isnt super amazing upon inspection, but it definitely provides a great experience and the way the characters are portrayed and some of the events that occur are pretty entertaining and serious in ways that the average JRPG dont provide. Whats there is done well and keeps you interested and eager to see more and most especially play more. Its a real combined effort between the gameplay and the story.

Nimyh

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
I'm stuck in chapter 2. Some captain
saved my ass during a boss battle
, and told me to go see him at the luske base. I went there, but he wasn't around. I roamed a bit, came back, still not there. What am I supposed to do? Thanks in advance.
You have to go to the Lutsk tavern and recruit Tatiana.

Not playing this as much since SMT:SJ is devouring my soul recently. In a good way

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
vocab said:
As a huge fan of LOGH. I'm really enjoying the storyline and characters of this game. No-where near in the same league as LOGH though. But it still manages to offer a nice space opera storyline, and to boot some of the scenarios and ship designs, seem so obviously inspired by LOGH.
Edit - Honestly, if you consider yourself a space opera fan or better yet, 80s animu space opera fan. You'll love this game.

Well, Duckroll can add another to his count of those that have finished.

I don't really disagree with anything Fragamemnon said.

I didn't have near the fleet that he did (I don't even know what a Picaroon is) and lost only one ship in the final fight. For the final fight I had only one carrier and squeezed 40 fighters onto my Absoluta flag ship. I brought 3 other decent battleships. Before that I had 2 cruisers 1 carrier and 2 battleships.

I never really used fighters for more than getting rid of enemy fighters and maybe picking off one ship before I lost patience and brought in the firepower. If I abused anything it was Formation Breaker --> Lion's Roar.

As far as criticisms go, I'd say the lack of a quest log is the biggest and that a better navigation system that would show how the sectors are connected would have been nice.

Another thing that would have been cool is for more utility for the different ship types. Something like a lack of destroyers would lead to being surprised in encounters (and a slow command bar that returned to normal over time could be a good penalty for being surprised).

In theory I wish it had a better trading model ala Privateer or similar but I guess the way Infinite Space did it meant you don't have to rely on a few good trading lanes.

Lafiel said:
As a huge fan of LOGH. I'm really enjoying the storyline and characters of this game. No-where near in the same league as LOGH though. But it still manages to offer a nice space opera storyline, and to boot some of the scenarios and ship designs, seem so obviously inspired by LOGH.
Edit - Honestly, if you consider yourself a space opera fan or better yet, 80s animu space opera fan. You'll love this game.

I havn't seen LOGH, but I enjoyed the shit out of Infinite Space (except for the last couple of hours where the narrative goes to shit) and loved Crest/Banner of the Stars - and I'm guessing by your avatar you have some awareness of it :).

Sounds like a solid recipie for me getting into LOGH and thinking it's the bee's knees?

Bleh Act 2 Ch. 4
I chose to fight the Zen guys but I'm getting very bored with the repetitive battle with that General. I keep killing him and he comes back every time. I'm tryin to tmake it to the next planet and I've run into him twice in a row. Doesn't help that I have to play it frugal as fuck or he will destroy me in 2 seconds. SO I have to wittle him down which takes about 20 minutes all up.
Am I doing something wrong? Can I kill him for good yet?
Also sucks that I can't go back through the Gate and their are no remodding places in this sector at all yet. My ships are shit now, but there is nothing I can do about it.

Mejilan

Feels like I'm getting really close to the end of Glory of Heracles.
Trying to decide if I want to restart Infinite Space afterwards, or move on to Sands of Destruction.

I think it'll be Infinite Space for the change of pace.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just
sided with "Kalymnos"
in chapter 7. I like how this occasionally has w-rpg style decisions. It's a nice little touch. Wonder if this game has multiple endings.

Joshua Hull said:
I havn't seen LOGH, but I enjoyed the shit out of Infinite Space (except for the last couple of hours where the narrative goes to shit) and loved Crest/Banner of the Stars - and I'm guessing by your avatar you have some awareness of it :).

Sounds like a solid recipie for me getting into LOGH and thinking it's the bee's knees?
As much as i loved BOTS / COTS. LOGH is better in almost every way, although LOGH never had as strong a female character as "lafiel".:D
So yeah, if you liked BOTS / COTS and even this, you definitely need to watch LOGH.:)

beat

I'm in the middle of Ch 5 right now, and I'm loving this.

Where do I go for another hit of Japanese space opera after this? I went down to the local used Japanese bookstore to see if they had any Yamato artbooks for sale. They didn't. I almost bought some Gundam artbooks just for the spaceship designs, so clearly the bug has hit me hard.

Kipe

I should be doing hw said:
Bleh Act 2 Ch. 4
I chose to fight the Zen guys but I'm getting very bored with the repetitive battle with that General. I keep killing him and he comes back every time. I'm tryin to tmake it to the next planet and I've run into him twice in a row. Doesn't help that I have to play it frugal as fuck or he will destroy me in 2 seconds. SO I have to wittle him down which takes about 20 minutes all up.
Am I doing something wrong? Can I kill him for good yet?
Also sucks that I can't go back through the Gate and their are no remodding places in this sector at all yet. My ships are shit now, but there is nothing I can do about it.

Did you save the FSN leader from the pirates? If it's the boss fight for that chapter, you have to stay very close to their ship and shoot your shit low tier weapons at them.

Kipe said:
Did you save the FSN leader from the pirates? If it's the boss fight for that chapter, you have to stay very close to their ship and shoot your shit low tier weapons at them.
In the process of doing that but the General bumrushes me twice in one sitting, immediately after I beat him once I have to fight him again and I lose because I'm not at full strength. Because I'm not 100% on where to go I'm just aimlessly flying and he shows up regardless. I've fought the same guy over 10 times now, its fucking boring and pointless.

Top Bottom