• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade |OT| Free Updates TF2 Style, First Update Next Week

Minsc

Gold Member
tengiants said:
Uhhh... 'due to popular demand' you can now buy gold via in game app purchase. Stay classy chair. How can I get my money back for this piece of shit?

If there was a less demeaning way to give more support to this game, I'd be all over it (not to mention buying gold takes away most of the fun of the game, so it's counter-productive anyway).

On the other hand, I know most iOS users are cheap and expect everything for .99c or free, so paying $6 for this game probably had them going without electricity for a month or something. So maybe when you write to Apple for your money back you can explain that your children had to go starving for weeks to afford the gold you didn't buy in the game.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Minsc said:
If there was a less demeaning way to give more support to this game, I'd be all over it (not to mention buying gold takes away most of the fun of the game, so it's counter-productive anyway).

On the other hand, I know most iOS users are cheap and expect everything for .99c or free, so paying $6 for this game probably had them going without electricity for a month or something. So maybe when you write to Apple for your money back you can explain that your children had to go starving for weeks to afford the gold you didn't buy in the game.

That is very funny.

Yoshiya

The gold thing doesn't bother me - if somebody is stupid enough to pay $20 USD for the gold to buy the Infinity Blade they get exactly what they deserve. Gold is so plentiful on later bloodlines, I crossed 1 mil today just as I had nothing to buy.

Do I have to go anywhere to fight the Marrow Fiend? I mastered the new gear, dropped the lvl 250 and 300 God Kings and still haven't seen him during normal play. Game is too easy now :/. Having the GK's armor is nice though, matches the blade.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Marrow Fiend just shows up randomly.
In the 3 bloodlines I did last night, I fought him twice in two different bloodlines/locations.

Yoshiya said:
The gold thing doesn't bother me - if somebody is stupid enough to pay $20 USD for the gold to buy the Infinity Blade they get exactly what they deserve. Gold is so plentiful on later bloodlines, I crossed 1 mil today just as I had nothing to buy.

Do I have to go anywhere to fight the Marrow Fiend? I mastered the new gear, dropped the lvl 250 and 300 God Kings and still haven't seen him during normal play. Game is too easy now :/. Having the GK's armor is nice though, matches the blade.
The current best helmet and best armor are a weird mismatch, though. I'm assuming that the God-King's shield and helmet are also coming in future updates.

I don't get the ending.

I guess you become the next god king? Who do you play as in the next bloodline then, your son? Why then does he say he will avenge you? And what's with all the sci fi shit after the credits?

Radogol

Yoshiya said:
The gold thing doesn't bother me - if somebody is stupid enough to pay $20 USD for the gold to buy the Infinity Blade they get exactly what they deserve.

The way it's done is very uncool. Basically, the BUY button on items is always highlighted, even if you don't have enough money. And if you don't and click it, a pop-up appears which looks exactly like the one asking if you want to equip your new equipment. Except it asks you to confirm you purchase of the gold instead.

Radogol

Mejilan said:

Minsc

Gold Member
Radogol said:
The way it's done is very uncool. Basically, the BUY button on items is always highlighted, even if you don't have enough money. And if you don't and click it, a pop-up appears which looks exactly like the one asking if you want to equip your new equipment. Except it asks you to confirm you purchase of the gold instead.

I agree it could have been handled better, but really if you can read, it does say "Insufficient Gold" in Huge Letters right on top, and says "Would you like to purchase gold from the App Store." Plus, you'd have to put your iTunes password in if you hit yes by mistake (except in the unlikely event you just purchased something - it's just a matter of time before all in-game purchases can't rely on cached passwords) If you can't read, I don't really feel bad for you.

Strategy must be working pretty good for them, because it bumped IB up from like 5th or 6th top grossing to being the #1 top grossing app. It has to have made $5 million by now, if not close to it.

Radogol

Minsc said:
I agree it could have been handled better, but really if you can read, it does say "Insufficient Gold" in Huge Letters right on top, and says "Would you like to purchase gold from the App Store." Plus, you'd have to put your iTunes password in if you hit yes by mistake (except in the unlikely event you just purchased something - it's just a matter of time before all in-game purchases can't rely on cached passwords) If you can't read, I don't really feel bad for you.

I'm just saying it's shady and specifically designed to trap less attentive player. Nobody reads the same pop-up one hundred times - they just hit "yes, I want to equip it, whatever" and continue to another opponent.

Minsc

Gold Member
Radogol said:
I'm just saying it's shady and specifically designed to trap less attentive player. Nobody reads the same pop-up one hundred times - they just hit "yes, I want to equip it, whatever" and continue to another opponent.

I guess I agree with you then and for that I must applaud them on their delivery. Less attentive players who can't be bother to notice how much money they have vs what they are purchasing, or who can't notice the difference between 1 and 3 lines of text or the difference between the words Insufficient and Equip, or that a password box popped up asking for their itunes password should suffer! :)

Mejilan

I guess I'm done for now.
All equipment purchased and mastered.
Level 250 God-King went down during bloodline 15.
Don't feel like playing up to bloodline 20 just for that achievement, now that I've hit the level 45 cap and have no way of earning more exp.

Larsen B

Has anyone managed the 1000 combo achievement? It is the only one left and, after playing to Bloodline 20 > resetting > Bloodline 5, I still haven't got it. It must take an age to get!

Leaving the game here until the update having done everything else.

LiK

Parallax Scroll said:
I don't get the ending.

I guess you become the next god king? Who do you play as in the next bloodline then, your son? Why then does he say he will avenge you? And what's with all the sci fi shit after the credits?
I don't get it either. Nice lil twist and unexpected on what appears.

Mejilan

Larsen B said:
Has anyone managed the 1000 combo achievement? It is the only one left and, after playing to Bloodline 20 > resetting > Bloodline 5, I still haven't got it. It must take an age to get!

Leaving the game here until the update having done everything else.

I've not, and I'm starting to suspect that combinations of random slashes won't cut it.
I've begun to think that only strings that end with a MEGA HIT, BIG HIT, etc. are registered as combos. *shrugs*

LiK

Mejilan said:
I've not, and I'm starting to suspect that combinations of random slashes won't cut it.
I've begun to think that only strings that end with a MEGA HIT, BIG HIT, etc. are registered as combos. *shrugs*
Yup.I think that's how it works.

HildyB

Is there anything after the credits? I couldn't bring myself to be patient enough since they gave me a skip option.

Larsen B

Mejilan said:

Yeah, it will be 1000 "HITS" but I don't know if it includes combos done during "VICTORY" or only during battle.

I always do a combo when I parry/stab and get 2 or 3 in at the end which is around 6 combos per battle and that should take approx. 170 battles through 19 Bloodlines.

If it doesn't count VICTORY combos, it would take twice as long!

hwalker84

Larsen B said:
Yeah, it will be 1000 "HITS" but I don't know if it includes combos done during "VICTORY" or only during battle.

I always do a combo when I parry/stab and get 2 or 3 in at the end which is around 6 combos per battle and that should take approx. 170 battles through 19 Bloodlines.

If it doesn't count VICTORY combos, it would take twice as long!
There are specific combo's

Left Left Right Right
Right Right Left Left
Left Right Left
Right Left Right
Up Down Up
Down Up Down
Up Down Right Left Right (Ultra)
Up Up Down Down

mik

mik is unbeatable
From the ChAIR team:

1 – Learn how to use combos! You can also mix any of these up by starting with Right/Down/Up and changing the relative direction in the pattern and learn how to do a 5-hit combo!
Left, Right, Left = Huge Hit (Does the most damage you can in a 3 hit window)
Left, Left, Right, Right = Mega Hit (Does the most damage you can in a 4 hit window)
Left, Right, Up, Down, Left = Ultra Hit (Best, this does the most damage you can in a 5 or greater hit window)

2 – Use your shield wisely. You can block with the shield, and you can also slide your pinky straight off of the shield to swipe your sword. There’s no need to lift your finger. You should consider saving your shield for end of fight when your health is low since it is the easiest way to chip off the last few health points. But be aware - some boss attacks rip straight through your shield, so get to know which ones, and dodge instead.

3 - Pay attention to the XP of your weapons and items. If they are mastered, switch them out before the next battle. Mastered items double in value, so you can sell them in the store if you need more gold.

4 - When fighting the 15 foot Titans (the ugly bad guys who look like the Feral Troll), pay attention to which side he smashes his weapon to the ground. If he smashes on the right side, dodge to the right shortly afterward. If he smashes on the left side do the same on the left. It's a good indicator of which way to dodge.

5 - Pay attention to the Titan's info. For example, if he is immune to fire, be sure to equip an Ice Sword, Ice Ring and a Fire Shield. This way you can do maximum damage to the boss and also block his attacks.

6 - Remember to look for loot between fights. Health vials are precious and you can find tons of gold just lying around in the world. You can use the fast forward button to quickly get to the next fight, but you'll miss out on items.

7 - Use magic to your advantage. Find rings that allow a good balance of offensive and defensive spells - a well timed "Heal" spell can be the difference between destroying the God King or leaving your kid to mop up your mess...

8 - Try using block and dodge to defend the first few attacks of an enemy combo, to get in more scratch hits between enemy moves. After the third or fourth enemy attack, try parrying to score the larger damage window at the end of the combo, especially if you get a stab or sword clash opportunity.

9 - In between fights, equip your items with 'gold+' attributes to get more gold from any money bags or treasure chests you find.

hyp

sweet tips. goes to show how much deeper the game is beneath the surface. I finally got the infinity blade and it totally opened up the higher level game for me. I went back and purchased some lower level gear and maxed some of it to gain some extra skill points and levels. almost to the 20th bloodline and the game is still pretty damn fun. can't wait for the next few updates.

Axion22

I've got the 1,000 combo achievement. I'm fairly certain that it's only 3, 4, and 5 hit combos that count.

I just discovered a secret achievement:
Kill the God King with the weakest sword (Ruin)

I'm at 46/49, I still need 1,000 Parries and Find All Treasures + whatever the last secret one is.

Axion22

I had to google the last secret one and, having done so, I'm glad I did... no way I would have done it, not even on accident.

It's
Pen is mightier: Win a battle without swinging your sword (not even during finishing time).

Meier

Sheeeeeit, I almost beat The God King.. got him down to 300 hp and thought I might do it but no luck. If I hadn't used my spell on The Black Knight then I would have had him. :mad: Level 18 currently, was my 5th Bloodline.

Got him next time at level 21. Woot woot! Fun game and a real steal at $2.99. A little disappointed that you don't get his blade upon killing him though. Curious to see what happens next.

jax (old)

Banned
Bought awhile back, never really played it. Didn't pay atttention during the tutorials but what are:

the doge buttons for?

And also, I can never parry up or down (very hokey). Help please....

Jax said:
Bought awhile back, never really played it. Didn't pay atttention during the tutorials but what are:

the doge buttons for?

And also, I can never parry up or down (very hokey). Help please....

The dodge buttons are to dodge... I don't use them much, only when I feel overwhelmed by the guys in the new update. I don't think you can dodge all attacks. It's hard to tell because of the timing.

To parry up, it is literally just an upwards swipe. The detection seems to be fine on mine. Maybe you're moving too far up the screen? As for the downwards parry, I think the angle of direction (left/right) makes a difference, so just take note when somebody is attacking from below.

jarosh

so, uh, after you kill the god king dude guy the first time... you're just supposed to keep playing? until you can afford the infinity blade? and then you enter some sort of additional dungeon with it?... that will lead to more content and the "real" ending or what? is the new game+ separate from that? why am i still avenging? who am i avenging? can i "win" the game whether i continue with the bloodlines or start over? i'm so confused. this game is not very good at telling you things.

daycru

INSANE value for 2.99, really digging it. Only bummer is the initial load and lack of multitasking. Kicked out for a minute to check my email, went back in and had to load everything all over.

jarosh said:
so, uh, after you kill the god king dude guy the first time... you're just supposed to keep playing? until you can afford the infinity blade? and then you enter some sort of additional dungeon with it?... that will lead to more content and the "real" ending or what? is the new game+ separate from that? why am i still avenging? who am i avenging? can i "win" the game whether i continue with the bloodlines or start over? i'm so confused. this game is not very good at telling you things.

Quoting because I have the exact same questions.

jax (old)

Banned
jarosh said:

well, from my read of it.

I've killed the godking. (and 1 cut away from killing the LVL 100 GK).

so now I'm grinding + waiting til I get the infinity blade. Once that happens, you can go to the basement (where the stone is with the infinity blade indentation and I believe if you have the blade) - it will open up the latest update's crypt/basement area.

As is, when I go there, with no IB, nothing happens.

* this game does not really have a plot. :p

daycru said:
INSANE value for 2.99, really digging it. Only bummer is the initial load and lack of multitasking. Kicked out for a minute to check my email, went back in and had to load everything all over.
It multitasks. You just probably had a lot of other shit saved in memory with it.

Orlics

So, anyone else finish the expansion pack with the
giant mech
outta nowhere? Who was
the last guy you fought? Was he the dude from the beginning of your bloodline? What's the deal with all the sci-fi shit?

Zzoram

To people complaining about the in-app Buy button, turn off in-app purchases in your iPhone/iPod Settings. That way you can't accidentally buy anything in any game.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I like how the final armor set in New Game+ is from
Shadow Complex
(you really shouldn't highlight this unless you've beaten the final basement boss).

I have a few achievement questions: how do you get 100 items in your inventory and still have enough money to buy stuff? Is there a point in which I should I actually try for this achievement? And how do you master an item twice? What's the trick to getting the achievement that asks you to find every treasure in one play through?

Zzoram

Game is ok but not great. It's only hooks are graphics and a fuckton of rpgness collectathon with XP and items, which is enough for $2.99 I suppose. Combat isn't that fun though. I know you can do a lot of stuff, but I find it hard to react in time, and the simple block->counter is all you need to win.

Peterthumpa

Zzoram said:
Game is ok but not great. It's only hooks are graphics and a fuckton of rpgness collectathon with XP and items, which is enough for $2.99 I suppose. Combat isn't that fun though. I know you can do a lot of stuff, but I find it hard to react in time, and the simple block->counter is all you need to win.
No.

Top Bottom