• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade |OT| Free Updates TF2 Style, First Update Next Week

NekoFever

badcrumble said:
Blocked at work, but does it mention what sort of new equipment there is?

I'd prefer some kind of real addition to the gameplay, or new passive abilities, but hey whatever.
SdAFC.jpg

Next week's pack includes five new weapons, five new shields, five new helmets and a new armor set; enough equipment to increase the level cap to 45. There's also a new enemy type players will square off against called the "Marrow Fiend" (that's him pictured up top).
Sounds good for a bit of a top-up until the proper update with new areas and online play comes.

Reese-015

burgerdog said:
What happens if you reset the bloodline? You go back to lv1 and lose all masteries?

From what I hear that's only what happens when you reset your character, resetting the bloodline is just that, you keep everything.

Skilletor

This sounds great. For free? Yes, please.

I think my only complaint about the game is that the camera gets too close to your character in certain fights and it's hard to see what the enemy is doing. I hope they do something about that in a future update.

I'm shocked at how much I'm enjoying this game. It's so goddam fun.

The additional equipment and levels in this pack will probably make it a lot easier to kill the Level 200 God-King (I always come within a sliver of pulling it off). I mean, raising the level cap to 45 is already 10 additional stat points (which I'll choose to pump into HP and Magic). I wonder if his level jumps up to 250 after that.

Jinaar

Got a free iPhone from a friend the other day.

Set it all up. Launch App store to download Infinity Blade.

Realize iPhone is 3G.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

*throws phone into garbage*

Reese-015

Jinaar said:
Got a free iPhone from a friend the other day.

Set it all up. Launch App store to download Infinity Blade.

Realize iPhone is 3G.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

*throws phone into garbage*

Heh, try Rage though, great looking game, one of my favs and should run ok on a 3G (just don't get the HD version! ;)).

I'm really digging the fighting system. I'm sure there are people that wanted IB to be some sort of open-world RPG or something, but I love the "Punch-Out" style of gameplay. The parrying system is a blast.

And the retina display...man this thing looks good.

Skilletor

Gamecocks625 said:
I'm really digging the fighting system. I'm sure there are people that wanted IB to be some sort of open-world RPG or something, but I love the "Punch-Out" style of gameplay. The parrying system is a blast.

And the retina display...man this thing looks good.

I'm glad it isn't. This is a perfect use of touch screen controls.

It's just so much fun.

Jinaar

Reese-015 said:
Heh, try Rage though, great looking game, one of my favs and should run ok on a 3G (just don't get the HD version! ;)).

Thinking of getting an iTouch 4th Gen today. I got instore credit so this may be the route I go with at lunch. Thanks sir!

Skilletor said:
I'm glad it isn't. This is a perfect use of touch screen controls.

It's just so much fun.
An open world style game could still work with this style of combat. Just make it encounter based and have the first person movement they used in the Epic Castle demo when outside of battle. The game is awesome and I hope Epic continues to expand on the game.

Dries

So when purchasing new swords (or other equipment) I always skip a few because
I like saving my money a bit and buying a better one. But say if I'm on bloodline 8, can I still master the lesser swords or will the enemies be too strong?

Larsen B

Just as I was close to saving up for the Infinity Blade, the extra DLC equipment costs me my fortune.

Odd to see the currency change from $ to Infinity Bux. The symbol really stand outs/seem out of place now.

I'm guessing Marrow Fiend is just a random fight?

Dries said:
So when purchasing new swords (or other equipment) I always skip a few because
I like saving my money a bit and buying a better one. But say if I'm on bloodline 8, can I still master the lesser swords or will the enemies be too strong?

The enemies aren't "too strong" but will you do less damage. With the starting swords, your damage isn't minimal but it is noticeably reduced. Of course, with the increased experience from fights on higher Bloodlines, the lesser swords will take less time to master.

hyp

anyone know if it is possible to restart the game on bloodline 1 while keeping all my equipment/levels? not too happy with the way I played the game originally. i basically bought all the best equipment early on and am paying for it because i can no longer level up =\

SmokyDave

So pleased there has been an update, I've not played this since I maxed everything out.

hyp said:
anyone know if it is possible to restart the game on bloodline 1 while keeping all my equipment/levels? not too happy with the way I played the game originally. i basically bought all the best equipment early on and am paying for it because i can no longer level up =\
Yeah, just pause it and choose 'Restart Bloodline 1' from the options menu. You'll keep all your goodies.

Khanage

Posted this in the other thread and then realised it would make more sense to ask here. So...
Is the Infinity Blade update showing for anyone else in the UK? It’s showing on its game page,
but when I search for updates on my iphone... I get nothing. :(

Orgun

Khanage said:
Posted this in the other thread and then realised it would make more sense to ask here. So...
Is the Infinity Blade update showing for anyone else in the UK? It’s showing on its game page,
but when I search for updates on my iphone... I get nothing. :(

Yup, I updated mine this morning.

Khanage

Thanks for letting me know.

Think I’ve come up with a solution. Went to Infinity Blade’s page in itunes and bought it again. Then itunes informed me that I already own a previous version and that this update will be free. So hopefully it’s downloading the correct version. Strange... this is the first time I’ve had a problem with updating apps on my mac or on my iphone.

It's too bad there weren't any new rings in this update. Ah well, the new shields, helmets, and armor more than make up for that (even though I'm not too interested in the new weapons for more than their ability to help me level up).

.la1n

If they can keep a steady stream of new updates for this then It might just topple cut the rope as my favorite app. Cut the rope vs Infinity Blade, kind of funny to think about.

My casual side is fighting my hardcore side, they both win, hooray!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
With the new update, I'm kind of tempted to continue grinding out exp and gold for the remaining (and new) equipment. But then again, there's nothing to lessen the monotony, and Aralon just got an update as well...

Larsen B

Mejilan said:
With the new update, I'm kind of tempted to continue grinding out exp and gold for the remaining (and new) equipment. But then again, there's nothing to lessen the monotony, and Aralon just got an update as well...

Your first victory in new equipment, when everything gets experience points again, is a joy.

Except for those stupid rings.

Stupid rings get nothing.

Mejilan

An Aralon-styled game with Infinity Blade combat would be joyous.
And yes, there's something oh so satisfying about watching multiple experience bars fill up simultaneously. :)

Mejilan

I managed to break Aralon again, so I switched back to Infinity Blade, and managed a pretty awesome kill streak. First of all, the update fixed the problem with one of the stupidest, easiest achievements not registering, so that was nice.

I started and completed bloodlines 10, 11, and 12, and finally closed for the night at the very beginning of bloodline 13. I managed to purchase and max every remaining ring, shield, helm, and armor (including the new ones included with content update 1.1), and have only to max the 5 weapons remaining to me; which have all been purchased save for the Infinity Blade, which I'm now saving up for.

Bloodline 10 ended with me finally taking down the level 150 God-King, and surprisingly his level 200 form went down in bloodline 11. I got his level 250 form down to about 40% of his total health when I finally died. With the +200 attack from the Infinity Blade, he should be a cake-walk.

Let's see, I'm around halfway between level 43 and 44, and I imagine that the 5 remaining weapons will take me up to the new max of 45. Amusingly, I happened to kill the level 150 God-King with the sword Ruin, which netted me an achievement I never noticed before (added with this update?): Kill the God-King with the weakest sword. That was kind of neat.

I also managed to snag a few more achievements. Not too many left now. There's a new one for reaching level 45, which I'll undoubtedly get soon, and I have yet to acquire the 1000 parries and 1000 combo achievements. But those are inevitable.

Oh, and the new Marrow Fiend enemy is nothing special. He has a bunch of combos that are perhaps trickier to parry than usual, thanks to his love of both types of vertical strikes. I find them much harder to parry on the iPhone 4 than the horizontal strikes. Screen size real estate issues, I imagine.

That's it for tonight.

Welp, I've maxed out all the available equipment, and the level 350 God-King is still kicking my ass. I do tremendous damage to him, of course, but he can basically kill me in one successful stunlocked combo. Time to leave things off until the next free update :)

tengiants

Uhhh... 'due to popular demand' you can now buy gold via in game app purchase. Stay classy chair. How can I get my money back for this piece of shit?

tengiants said:
Uhhh... 'due to popular demand' you can now buy gold via in game app purchase. Stay classy chair. How can I get my money back for this piece of shit?
Wait, how does the addition of a feature you won't use make the game worth less to you?

I agree that the overall phenomenon of paying real money for in-game upgrades is irritating, but it doesn't suddenly make Infinity Blade a bad game.

Sure as hell explains why it's so damn grind-happy though.

LCfiner

tengiants said:

ok, to answer your question. go back to your email receipt for the purchase and click on the small link for “report a problem” and then ask for a refund.

but if you say it’s because you find optional, in-app purchases distasteful, don’t expect to get your money back

LCfiner

tengiants said:
Crap I forgot i was in a thread with apple users. Peace!

sigh, now you’re just being a troll. :lol

I was hoping you wouldn’t react this way to being called out over your overreaction before

numble

tengiants said:
You can still earn gold the normal way.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the game's structure is bold. good for them.

Top Bottom