• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade |OT| Free Updates TF2 Style, First Update Next Week

LCfiner

so I just ran through bloodline 1 on my iPhone 4 after having gone through 3 last night on the ipad. so far, it seems like it runs a bit slower, framerate isn’t quite as good, but the graphics seem more impressive since the smaller screen size means lower res textures and lack of lighting effects is less noticeable.

but the big thing is that it feels easier to control on the smaller iPhone screen. my gripe with playing on the ipad were the relatively small targets for starting dodges. I would miss a couple here and there since the ipad screen is so large. it’s much easier for me to hit the corners with my thumbs on the iPhone.

the con of playing on an iPhone… it gets friggin’ hot in my hand. damn. feels a little dicey.

Minsc

Gold Member
eznark said:
Good lord does I really need to run the title screens every time I switch to it?

Weird, I've successfully multi-tasked Reeder, Epic Win, Safari, Final Fantasy 1, Carcassonne and Mail, and it still instantly resumes after all those.

eznark

Banned
Minsc said:
Weird, I've successfully multi-tasked Reeder, Epic Win, Safari, Final Fantasy 1, Carcassonne and Mail, and it still instantly resumes after all those.
No idea why it isnt working for me

So what's there I think is great, but I do find it a bit lacking of content even with the bloodline/replay mechanic. I kind of feel it needs to maybe take twice as long to get to the God King. A few more branching paths would help too. Hopefully this will be addressed with the Coming Soon content, which will also hopefully be free.

eznark

Banned
Lonely1 said:
Well, If Minsc has an iPhone 4, that has double the RAM of your iPad.
Worked from the inventory screen. The loading all the time for a game as shallow as this will kill its longevity for me though.

Yoshiya

forgeforsaken said:
Hopefully this will be addressed with the Coming Soon content, which will also hopefully be free.
I'm pretty sure I read in an interview it would be, at least for the foreseeable future. New weapons, armour, enemies and areas.

Fusebox

Banned
Minsc said:
I'm surprised there's no RAGE vs Infinity Blade opinions yet,

The initial wow factor of Rage wore off in a matter of hours for me, whereas I'm still enjoying IB the next day. IB is a much more complete game.

mjc

Man this game is awesome. I like that the game rewards you for sticking with equipment til you max its exp out.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
"In terms of its relationship with your iPhone, Epic's Infinity Blade has a predictably ruinous effect on battery life. We managed to halve a fully charged iPhone's juice with a three-hour session of on-and-off gaming, but backgrounding this app has also shown to be energy-intensive. In our limited experience, we saw our iPhone 4 chew through an atypically large chunk of its energy reserves while we had Blade in the background, meaning that you'll want to shut it down completely when you're done with it. "

Via Engadget.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
My iPhone 4 doesn't drain noticeably faster in Infinity Blade nor Epic Citadel than other intensive tasks like watching YouTube videos.

The GPU just isn't a big drain here. It's the multitasking OS that can never let much of the system fully sleep, the CPU which sucks down whole multiples more power, and all the radios and antennas that stay connected.

Fusebox

Banned
Lonely1 said:
In our limited experience, we saw our iPhone 4 chew through an atypically large chunk of its energy reserves while we had Blade in the background, meaning that you'll want to shut it down completely when you're done with it. "

*Cue Liu Kang telling everyone that background apps have no memory or battery hit*

Lonely1 said:
"In terms of its relationship with your iPhone, Epic's Infinity Blade has a predictably ruinous effect on battery life. We managed to halve a fully charged iPhone's juice with a three-hour session of on-and-off gaming, but backgrounding this app has also shown to be energy-intensive. In our limited experience, we saw our iPhone 4 chew through an atypically large chunk of its energy reserves while we had Blade in the background, meaning that you'll want to shut it down completely when you're done with it. "

Via Engadget.

After playing the game for about 30 mins, my iPhone 4's battery was drained by about 10% on about 2 thirds brightness, So that would be about 5 hours worth of battery life playing it constantly (a bit better than the PSP on its highest brightness setting - but I consider the PSP itself to be too low anyway)

I have a similar battery drain with Espgaluda and Dodonpachi so it seems that battery drain increases dramatically when any Open GL 2 features are used.

I can't say that I've noticed any additional battery drain when having it open through multitasking though.

Reese-015

Lonely1 said:

Via Engadget.

The background thing is indeed incorrect. I've had it suspended in the background for the entire night and my battery has gone down perhaps only one or two percent.

Radogol

Barkley's Justice said:
i'm level 14 and just agreed to the new game center terms of service...come to find out the game never recorded any of my achievments in the background :/

Yeah, I don't have "Reach Level 5", but I do have "Reach Level 10" for example. Very annoying.

What's even more annoying is that my swipes and, worse yet, dodges don't always register. Especially in the fight against God-King, which is a bit more fast-paced than other battles. A big flaw, only softened somewhat by the fact that there's no harm in losing - after all, in this game, whatever kills you, only makes you stronger. To a degree at least ;)

bryehn

Atmosphere and concept are great. Don't mind the on-railsness of it at all. The QTE-style mechanics are passable too.

I have zero attachment to items though and the UI is simply ugly and a bit too small for comfort (iPod Touch 4). Also, would be cool if they allowed you to tilt to dodge.

edit: oh and how do I shut this game down? it always just seems to go to a suspended state

Radogol

bryehn said:
edit: oh and how do I shut this game down? it always just seems to go to a suspended state

Double tap the home button. Then hold your finger over the Infinity Blade icon that appears in the lower part of the screen and "delete" it. Just do it after you leave the app.

Reese-015

THIS GAME IS SO FRACKING BADASS

WHEN I GET THE VICTORY BONUS STUFF I SWIPE LIKE A MADMAN AND HOLD THE DEVICE CLOSE TO MY FACE WHILE I YELL YEEEEAAAAHH BITCH!

Minsc

Gold Member
Reese-015 said:
The background thing is indeed incorrect. I've had it suspended in the background for the entire night and my battery has gone down perhaps only one or two percent.

Not noticing any abnormal battery drain here either. Played for 30 minutes, another 30 minutes of FFI, and ~15% drained for the hour+. Left on all night in the background and I had my normal 0-1% drop.

LCfiner

Reese-015 said:

exactly.

chances are there was some other Apple bundled process eating through battery, like Mail or Exchange sync. those don't have the same restrictions as 3rd party apps.

Zomba13

=/ I caved and bought it.
I'm still shocked that an iPhone/pad/touch game can look better than a Wii game. I'm also really disapointed Epic haven't ported UE3 onto the wii. I mean they could flesh this game out a bit and release it on the wii with maybe no graphical changes and it'll be the best (realistic) looking game on the system..

Reese-015

Anyone else almost never block? Read in an interview that parry is much more effective and I almost never use block because of it. It's also a much more visceral experience to be almost constantly swiping like crazy in the opposite direction of what you anticipate the enemy will do.

Tobor

eznark said:
How do I find out what achievements friends have gotten? Game Center is absolute ass.
Click the friends button. Choose infinity blade from the list of games they have in common. Click achievements. You get a nice comparable list.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Reese-015 said:
Anyone else almost never block? Read in an interview that parry is much more effective and I almost never use block because of it. It's also a much more visceral experience to be almost constantly swiping like crazy in the opposite direction of what you anticipate the enemy will do.

I fail at parry, so I've upgraded my shield skills/shield. Also I dodge a lot, it's even better than blocking.

LCfiner

Reese-015 said:

I haven't tried parrying too much. I stick mainly to dodging and then blocking some of the moves that seem un-dodgeable.

Reese-015

You guys don't parry? Srsly, it's one of the key things that makes the game incredibly fun to me! The experience is amazingly adrenaline-pumping when you're almost constantly attacking like crazy but trying to constantly do it in the opposite direction that you think your opponent is gonna hit you in order to parry. You'll have much more and much bigger attack windows and the game completely changes from a 'wait-your-turn' thing to a 'crazy hardcore fast sword-fighting' thing :D.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Reese-015 said:
You guys don't parry? Srsly, it's one of the key things that makes the game incredibly fun to me! The experience is amazingly adrenaline-pumping when you're almost constantly attacking like crazy but trying to constantly do it in the opposite direction that you think your opponent is gonna hit you in order to parry. You'll have much more and much bigger attack windows and the game completely changes from a 'wait-your-turn' thing to a 'crazy hardcore fast sword-fighting' thing :D.

Seriously, this. I can't imagine playing by relying on dodging and blocking. o.o

Parrying gives you longer enemy stun times, so it's worth the added risk.

Man, the fact that maxed-out equipment prevents your CHARACTER from getting experience is just mean. You max out your rings and shields pretty early compared to weapons, armor, and helms :(

I've relied on parrying, mostly, which means pumping up my health and attack so I can absorb blows for my mistakes, followed by absolutely PUMMELING the enemy into the ground when I get an opening to counterattack.

knitoe

SnakeXs said:
Seriously, this. I can't imagine playing by relying on dodging and blocking. o.o
I just dodge. Only the boss gives me any problems. I beat the boss lvl 50 on Bloodlines 4, but can't seem to beat him since then. Currently, doing Bloodlines 7 and boss lvl 100. Wonder, how long it would take to save up for 500+K Infinity Blade.

knitoe said:
I just dodge. Only the boss gives me any problems. I beat the boss lvl 50 on Bloodlines 4, but can't seem to beat him since then. Currently, doing Bloodlines 7 and boss lvl 100. Wonder, how long it would take to save up for 500+K Infinity Blade.
Eh, once you've maxed everything else out, probably not THAT long. You'd be surprised how much money you're pouring into new purchases and upgrades.

Once I beat the level 100 boss, I'll probably restart at Bloodline 1 and just kinda speed my way through accruing experience and gold for a while and upgrading miscellaneous bits of equipment.

The REALLY rough thing about the Infinity Blade is going to be mastering it when it can only absorb 1/5 of your total experience after each battle. In my opinion, Epic really should've set the game up so that the total experience gets divvied up among the available equipment so that if you're wearing four mastered pieces of equipment, the fifth piece will get 100% of your experience after each battle. Without that, this game's going to get turned into a fucking slog later on and I'll probably stop when I hit that point.

I'm hoping that beating the level 100 boss rewards you with the Infinity Blade so I don't need to worry about purchasing it.

Dave Long

Banned
Reese-015 said:
THIS GAME IS SO FRACKING BADASS

WHEN I GET THE VICTORY BONUS STUFF I SWIPE LIKE A MADMAN AND HOLD THE DEVICE CLOSE TO MY FACE WHILE I YELL YEEEEAAAAHH BITCH!
This is my favorite messageboard post of the week. :lol

Reese-015

Did anyone get the Infinity Blade yet? I wonder if something special happens when you do. (not that I would want it spoiled if so)

Tobor

badcrumble said:
Parrying gives you longer enemy stun times, so it's worth the added risk.

Man, the fact that maxed-out equipment prevents your CHARACTER from getting experience is just mean. You max out your rings and shields pretty early compared to weapons, armor, and helms :(
I've relied on parrying, mostly, which means pumping up my health and attack so I can absorb blows for my mistakes, followed by absolutely PUMMELING the enemy into the ground when I get an opening to counterattack.

I think it's a neat leveling mechanic, actually. It forces players to use different items, and rewards you for not skipping ahead three or four levels.

I can see what you mean about the end game, though.

Tobor said:
I think it's a neat leveling mechanic, actually. It forces players to use different items, and rewards you for not skipping ahead three or four levels.

I can see what you mean about the end game, though.
Basically endgame leveling is clearly going to be more about accruing money and buying Mastery more than anything else. Which means it's a BAD idea to get impatient and do that early on.

subversus

I just don't get the ending. WTF is this
holoplanet
?

Also I didn't expected the King to be level 100 :lol

I think I'll use parrying more just for fun. Also what magic does? I use my ring sometimes but can't understand what stats influence.

subversus said:
I just don't get the ending. WTF is this
holoplanet
?

Also I didn't expected the King to be level 100 :lol

I think I'll use parrying more just for fun. Also what magic does? I use my ring sometimes but can't understand what stats influence.
Magic can be RIDICULOUSLY powerful. I once chopped off about 2/3 of the Dark Knight's health bar with one Shock spell.

subversus

badcrumble said:
Magic can be RIDICULOUSLY powerful. I once chopped off about 2/3 of the Dark Knight's health bar with one Shock spell.

wow. My magic is about 6 + the most badass ring. I use it for healing.

Fusebox said:
*Cue Liu Kang telling everyone that background apps have no memory or battery hit*
You don't even understand what I say. The observed behavior is exactly how it's supposed to work. And it being saved in memory in the background doesn't hurt your battery.

eznark

Banned
Tobor said:
Click the friends button. Choose infinity blade from the list of games they have in common. Click achievements. You get a nice comparable list.
So you can only see achievements for games you have in common? That must be why it does jack for me.

I don't see why I can't click on a friend then click on the achievement banner.

Tobor

eznark said:
So you can only see achievements for games you have in common? That must be why it does jack for me.

I don't see why I can't click on a friend then click on the achievement banner.

Why would you want to see achievements in common if you don't both own the game?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Reese-015 said:
Did anyone get the Infinity Blade yet? I wonder if something special happens when you do. (not that I would want it spoiled if so)

Posted last page but yeah, I've got it, and everything else, all maxed.

Nothing special, just what the weapon claims: a super awesome +200 damage

Top Bottom