• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade |OT| Free Updates TF2 Style, First Update Next Week

Tobor said:
Why would you want to see achievements in common if you don't both own the game?
It's simply a smart thing to include because it'll push people to purchase more games if they see that their friends have been playing and enjoying them.

Tobor

eznark said:
Never played steam/360/ps3 before?

Yeah, all the time.

badcrumble said:
It's simply a smart thing to include because it'll push people to purchase more games if they see that their friends have been playing and enjoying them.

That makes more sense. Thanks for not being a dill weed about it.

Maybe Apple can add that in the future. This only Game Center 1.0 after all.

Mik2121

Damn.. I just killed the God King for the second time (now him being lv 100) and all I got was the Odin Wisdom's helmet. Weak.. :(

I want the Infinity Blade but it's way too expensive..

Mik2121 said:
Damn.. I just killed the God King for the second time (now him being lv 100) and all I got was the Odin Wisdom's helmet. Weak.. :(

I want the Infinity Blade but it's way too expensive..
That's lame.

Doodis

So are there actual combos when sword swiping? I've played through the first bloodline and I'm just randomly swiping the screen as fast as I can. Does the game have actual combos depending on which way you swipe (right, left, up, down, etc.)? Or should I just keep swiping randomly?

Mik2121

Doodis said:
So are there actual combos when sword swiping? I've played through the first bloodline and I'm just randomly swiping the screen as fast as I can. Does the game have actual combos depending on which way you swipe (right, left, up, down, etc.)? Or should I just keep swiping randomly?
I believe it gives you more points the more directions you use while attacking. Also depending on your enemies, certain directions work better. For example, the Feral Troll (guy with the 3-sided axe thing) will block your side attacks easily, but if you swipe your finger up and down, you can get more hits.

My max final combo is +156, I got it by just swiping my finger on all directions :_D

Edit - I just beat the God King again and he gave me a Zeus Loop (I think that was the name, anyway). Weaaaaaak.

Minsc

Gold Member
Doodis said:

Yes, there's a tutorial early on that makes you swipe left, right left (or is it right, left, right), and the third swing is for more damage. Not sure what the other combos are, but it says "Huge Hit" or something when you do that.

Doodis

Minsc said:
Yes, there's a tutorial early on that makes you swipe left, right left (or is it right, left, right), and the third swing is for more damage. Not sure what the other combos are, but it says "Huge Hit" or something when you do that.
I remember seeing that tutorial, but I was already swiping away at the screen and I swiped over each hint so fast I couldn't read it. :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Very impressed with Infinity Blade, much more than I thought I would be after the Epic Citadel tech-demo.

From a technical level I find it more impressive, very impressive character models and good art design all round. But the most impressive thing is the game itself, wasn't expecting it be as well thought out as it is. Very intuitive and rewarding controls, you get a real feel for the combat and just know when to parry and if it's going to work or if it's going to miss. Always a good sign when you can learn the feel of a game.

Really like the structure of the game as well, the relatively short play-through works well for a game on the platform and the levelling up and items makes it a very powerful 'just one more go' game.

Only minor grumble really is the dodge buttons, bit fiddly and I think would work better as a quick-tilt option. Or at the very least changed their position or size. And more branching paths would help with the repeated playthrough as aspect.

Apart from that, it's a damn good first effort with a lot of potential. More areas, more pathways, rare drops, loads they can do with this.

One thing, in the middle of combat a couple of times it's come up with 'stab'. Anyone know what that is about? It seemed to be something different, but it's happened so rarely I can't tell. You also get the blue circle come up on the opponent sometimes like you are meant to touch it, not sure if it's linked with that.

DECK'ARD said:
Very impressed with Infinity Blade, much more than I thought I would be after the Epic Citadel tech-demo.

From a technical level I find it more impressive, very impressive character models and good art design all round. But the most impressive thing is the game itself, wasn't expecting it be as well thought out as it is. Very intuitive and rewarding controls, you get a real feel for the combat and just know when to parry and if it's going to work or if it's going to miss. Always a good sign when you can learn the feel of a game.

Really like the structure of the game as well, the relatively short play-through works well for a game on the platform and the levelling up and items makes it a very powerful 'just one more go' game.

Only minor grumble really is the dodge buttons, bit fiddly and I think would work better as a quick-tilt option. Or at the very least changed their position or size. And more branching paths would help with the repeated playthrough as aspect.

Apart from that, it's a damn good first effort with a lot of potential. More areas, more pathways, rare drops, loads they can do with this.

One thing, in the middle of combat a couple of times it's come up with 'stab'. Anyone know what that is about? It seemed to be something different, but it's happened so rarely I can't tell. You also get the blue circle come up on the opponent sometimes like you are meant to touch it, not sure if it's linked with that.

You do that, and you stab the enemy causing him to become dazed!

Also, yes I have some issues with the dodge buttons, sometimes I loose because I tap to dodge in the right direction but the character just stands there doing nothing. Dunno if it's lag or something.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
ChackanKun said:
You do that, and you stab the enemy causing him to become dazed!

Also, yes I have some issues with the dodge buttons, sometimes I loose because I tap to dodge in the right direction but the character just stands there doing nothing. Dunno if it's lag or something.

Cheers!

Just having another run-through so will give it a go =)

Reese-015

I agree with you DECK'ARD, I really feel like quality/depth-wise it's a top AAA title by a top notch developer but with a really sharp focus on making a small game that fits the profile of everything a mobile touch game should be. Though the game doesn't feel entirely 'complete' as a top notch AAA title, but that's something which I think future updates will take care of.

anyone having problems with the achievements?

i was well into bloodline 3 when i finally activated game center

but now some achievements won't trigger...like blocking 10 times?

Neki

I haven't been keeping up with this game, but what are the requirements, generation wise and software wise? I don't think my poor generation 2 iPod touch could handle this baby. :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ultimoo said:
I haven't been keeping up with this game, but what are the requirements, generation wise and software wise? I don't think my poor generation 2 iPod touch could handle this baby. :lol

Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPad. Requires iOS 3.2 or later

game is fun, but oh god the music fucking sucks. i am beginning to wonder if this is a bug. That fucking 3 second loop over and over dowoowoop tam. dowoowoop tam. with a shitty piano progression in the background. god my ears.

soldat7

Love the game but it is indeed too short and the post-fight transition is a little too stark for me. Oh, and why am I finding bags of $$$ and not gold? I'd love to find bits of lore laying around as well. It would be cool to have a third item to find that would add some flavor (lore), maybe further enticing you to continue through multiple bloodlines in order to get all the pages. Great game otherwise.

Neki

neojubei said:
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPad. Requires iOS 3.2 or later
My fears were not without merit. I guess I'll upgrade when I can get a cheap one used or something, for now, I'll just have to stick to my low-performance games. :p

to add further to the bad music, there is the comically bad HURRRRRRR!!!!!! of the assassin.

Though I will admit, it is indeed so bad I find it kind of charming. :lol

Reese-015

harriet the spy said:
to add further to the bad music, there is the comically bad HURRRRRRR!!!!!! of the assassin.

Though I will admit, it is indeed so bad I find it kind of charming. :lol

Odd, I find the sound design, music and voices (especially the voice acting and fictional language) to be pretty great. Though I would prefer it if I could play my own music while playing, some heavy dark gothic metal would rock on this thing :D.

Reese-015

The post-credits ending when you fully defeat the God King is awesome, makes me really curious towards updates/sequels.

Man I love this game...

Xater

Reese-015 said:
The post-credits ending when you fully defeat the God King is awesome, makes me really curious towards updates/sequels.

Man I love this game...

Now I can't wait to finally defeat the fucker. :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I really want to get the game but as compared to Dodonpachi Resurrection, how fast will my iTouch's battery drain out if I play this game?

Keio

For a Finer World
Xater said:
Now I can't wait to finally defeat the fucker. :lol
Got my
second victory in bloodline 10
- game crashed when tried to skip cutscene. Now need to beat the
lvl 100
boss again...

Addictive and entertaining, my fave high prod value game on iOS...

Reese-015

Think I'm in my 8th bloodline now and I must say, it does feel a little bit silly to be buying and using items that are much weaker than what I have, just to get the xp out of them. Just a minor gripe though.

Khanage

Reese-015 said:
Think I'm in my 8th bloodline now and I must say, it does feel a little bit silly to be buying and using items that are much weaker than what I have, just to get the xp out of them. Just a minor gripe though.

If you have the money you can pay to master any item and you will still receive the xp.

mjc

I was on my second bloodline and I was able to bring the God King's health down by almost a quarter. Such a cool way to see that your character is getting stronger.

Minsc

Gold Member
BigNastyCurve said:
Game looks pretty, but it's on rails? Really? Pretty disappointing after free-roaming in Epic Citadel.

Yea, but the game isn't meant to be a open-world RPG, it's a action game, like most of the other stuff that sells well on the phone. Straight to the action, so you can load it up for 3 minutes and feel like you accomplished stuff. Free roaming wouldn't add much to that type of game.

Hopefully something else uses the engine for another more deeper game, but I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed. It's great for what it is.

Reese-015

It shouldn't have been marketed as an RPG. If anything, this is a Tekken-like one-on-one fighting game but with swords and swiping instead of button-mashing, with RPG-like levelling and accessory/armor/loot aspects.

But man I'm a big fan of this game... For a few years now I haven't been gaming much any more except for iPhone games when I have spare moments here and there. The only PC game I still played was Unreal Tournament 3 because I love the rush of the intense multiplayer action combined with the awesome visuals. It's a very specific kind of immensely enjoyable kick I got out of that. This game gives me the exact same feeling of awesome adrenaline-pumping action combined with absolutely gorgeous graphics.

Welp, I've got every single piece of equipment mastered except for the Infinity Blade (which I can't afford yet, got about $120,000 saved up so far), I'm wearing the best of each class, and the God-King is level 150 and really, really fucking hard (immune to all effects, deals Shock damage so it's basically a requirement to wear the +36 anti-shock shield instead of the +50 shield). Do I actually keeo playing this just to get the Infinity Blade? It'll take like five more rounds of increasingly difficult grinding. :I

Maybe I'll try to beat the level 150 God-King, and then take this character and go back to Bloodline 1 so I can at least save up a ton of cash blasting through easy battles.

LCfiner

I’ve given up trying to play past bloodline 4 on the ipad. I’ll stick to the iPhone.I am simply incapable of hitting the dogs button targets on the big screen while still patting attention to the enemy attack patterns. I keep missing them by, seemingly, half an inch or less and they’re not registering.

it irks me that they made the hit tagets on the ipad version relatively small since the scene is so large and you need to move between the dodge buttons, the main screen for attacks and then the super/ magic buttons in the upper corners.

I never feel “in control” of the situation on the ipad anymore. too much hand movement is necessary and more button combos are needed at the higher difficulties.

iPhone version may run slightly slower but the limited screen space makes more sense with the controls laid out as they are.

neojubei said:

Too bad that it does not work on my IPhone

Mik2121

Yeah.. I've mastered most of the equipment already (got a couple swords left..) and I have some 340k+ $ ready to spend on the Infinity Blade, but this is taking too long.. :lol

Hopefully they release the extra content soon.. the same environment every 20 minutes can get a bit tiring after 10 times.

Radogol

Regarding the ending:

Am I to understand that the hero becomes the God-King after he learns of "an even greater danger", but his son thinks he's dead and comes to the citadel to avenge him? Or is the ending an actual ending, but you continue with another bloodline because "Hey, it's just a game"?

Radogol

Reese-015 said:
Or maybe... If you beat the God King...
Next time you beat him, you're actually killing your father?

That's what I said :D But does that happen, or doesn't it? As in:
did the ending really happen in the previous bloodline, or are we supposed to assume it could, but didn't (since the next bloodlines starts the same no matter what)?

Radogol

Mejilan said:
Should have been a time loop type of deal instead of this silly bloodlines nonsense.

They could refine it in the sequel. For example, your next character could be generated based on the choices you make during a playthrough (like, which maiden to save ;)).

Reese-015

Radogol said:
That's what I said :D But does that happen, or doesn't it? As in:
did the ending really happen in the previous bloodline, or are we supposed to assume it could, but didn't (since the next bloodlines starts the same no matter what)?

Aaah, sorry, myeah, I'm not sure, in my mind it does happen :D.

@Jimmy runs wonderfully on the 3GS, not a perfect framerate but then again it's not perfect on the iPad or iPhone 4 either (some reports say it even runs slightly smoother on the 3GS than the iPhone 4 since the 3GS has the same GPU but doesn't have to deal with the insane retina resolution).

edit: the only actual problem that has been spotted in terms of the game's performance/visuals being significantly different when comparing the devices is actually that the iPad seems to lack some of the effects such as bump, parallax and reflection maps. Same occured with the Epic Citadel demo. Someone posted screenshots of this at the Epic Games forums, if anyone wants to see em I can try to look for em.

Mejilan said:
Should have been a time loop type of deal instead of this silly bloodlines nonsense.
Why? I think it's a really cool idea.

Great game. Looks and plays beautifully. Epic/Chair really knocked it out of the park with this one. One of few iPhone games I think I'm actually going to play all the way through.

LCfiner

Mejilan said:

I disagree because the ”father, I will avenge you” scene is always hilarious to me whenever it repeats.

Top Bottom