• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

Never heard of this game until now. Bought it on PSN for $10.00 Should I go ahead and get Limbo too? Never played it.

I'm sure you'll get a variety of replies, but I thought Limbo was entirely mediocre. Inside is a far better experience. But I suppose if you ending up loving Inside, you'll be curious about playing the dev's previous game.

DOWN

Banned
Never heard of this game until now. Bought it on PSN for $10.00 Should I go ahead and get Limbo too? Never played it.
Absolutely. I'm one of those "I hate 2D games/indie games" people tbh

Yet I think these two are some of the most intriguing experiences I've ever played

thisbeard

Definitely get both and play Limbo first. They're amazing on their own way, it could be argued that Inside is better designed and has much improved pacing... But Limbo is no slouch and an incredible game in its own right! Enjoy some of the most memorable games ever!

Definitely get both and play Limbo first. They're amazing on their own way, it could be argued that Inside is better designed and has much improved pacing... But Limbo is no slouch and an incredible game in its own right! Enjoy some of the most memorable games ever!
Inside is equally enjoyable if you haven't played Limbo, but I think playing Limbo first lets you appreciate Inside's evolution and improvements more.

Skux

Just finished... Jesus this game is bonkers. Atmosphere, animation, tension, visual storytelling... and that finale.

I'm glad I played this today, now I can fit it into my top 10 of 2016...

Manu

I bought this on the PSN sale and, wow. I actually thought it was on par with Limbo, and then those final 20 minutes happened. Holy shit. I'm still shook.

Then I checked out the spoiler thread and, yeah, let's just say I stayed up til 3 AM reading every single theory about the game. My mind is blown.

Amazing game.

The only con, I felt Limbo was harder at times. I never got stuck more than five minutes on a puzzle on this one.

The only con, I felt Limbo was harder at times. I never got stuck more than five minutes on a puzzle on this one.
I'd argue that's a good thing. Just hard enough to give you pause and make you think, but easy and intuitive enough that the puzzles don't mess up the pacing, keep you moving along at a steady pace

I bought this on the PSN sale and, wow. I actually thought it was on par with Limbo, and then those final 20 minutes happened. Holy shit. I'm still shook.
Just finished... Jesus this game is bonkers. Atmosphere, animation, tension, visual storytelling... and that finale.

I'm glad I played this today, now I can fit it into my top 10 of 2016...
In the GOTY thread, I described the game as a "bleak crescendo of a cinematic platformer." That finale wouldn't be nearly as effective without the hours of oppressive tension and build-up to those final 20 minutes

Just played this one a couple of hours. Until now : stellar experience, it gives me chills...art direction is bloody perfect. It s terrifying !

lt519

Incredible game, no clue what to think of the ending, there's so many possible explanations. The atmosphere and music/effects were amazing.

Liked the game but the ending pissed me off. Guess I'll read some theories on it but in no way is this the epic gaming material people on here were hyping it up to be in the PSN sale thread imo.

Liked the game but the ending pissed me off. Guess I'll read some theories on it but in no way is this the epic gaming material people on here were hyping it up to be in the PSN sale thread imo.
When people are talking about the ending, they're talking about the last 15 minutes. Not the literal ending scene

Honestly, the only portion of this game that I REALLY liked was the last 20 minutes. The rest of the game feels pretty underwhelming compared to that sequence.

I think this game needed to change itself at some point.
Playing half the game as the boy and the other half as the blob
would have been cooler.

Gaspard

That ending sequence was ick, and not in a grotesque way I just felt like it shook the game's core into a hollow shell.

The best parts of the game I felt was the imminent danger in the first couple chapters
narrowly escaping the dogs and hiding from the officers
, the underwater sequences
being chased by the thing
, and the wub wub chapter.

I feel like most of the suspense in the game stopped when the character stepped inside buildings, you feel more safe and less likely to be jumped by something. Although those parts are when the real puzzles begin.

Onto the hollow shell ending
plowing through everything and puzzles cut super short just made the last 15 minutes feel like an interactive cutscene
and I think the devs meant that to seem like the firework finale but it felt anti-climactic to me.

All in all it was a pretty good experience and the atmosphere was super cool.

Zojirushi

Just finished it. What's a good place to read up on theories what this game is about because I don't know the fuuuuck just happened.

NMFried

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but why does the game not have a Platinum trophy? I get that it's short, but that 100% would be much more satisfying with a lil globe up there.

That ending was weird and strangely arousing.

I appreciated the game a lot, but I wish it didn't rely on timing based puzzles so heavily. It got pretty tiring having to wait for some mechanism to be in the right place every time I failed to execute perfectly.

Fireblend

Banned
Just finished. I maybe wasn't in the mood for what this game offers? I don't regret the experience and it was super pretty looking and with some fascinating ideas and decent puzzles, but somehow it never clicked with me, or met the expectations I had after all the positive impressions during GotY season. Definitely worth experiencing though; at the very least just to see my gf react to it lol

Edit: It's a huge improvement over Limbo btw. Devs have come a loooong way.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Hey all wondering how far along I am? I know I should just play but Im at the gym and can't stop thinking about the game.

Just got taken by the thing and now Im underwater with the fan thing that shreds the boy in half.

taybul

Hey all wondering how far along I am? I know I should just play but Im at the gym and can't stop thinking about the game.

Just got taken by the thing and now Im underwater with the fan thing that shreds the boy in half.

I'd say you're about 80% through.

You can check yourself if you load a game, there are a bunch of checkpoints you can load, and you can see how many more checkpoints u have left

Melchiah

I played the game past
the shockwaves
today, and I must say it's been a disappointment so far, despite of the wonderful audiovisual style and atmosphere. I just can't stand the timed platforming. I guess I should have expected it after Limbo, which I also found frustrating for the same reason. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. =/

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'd say you're about 80% through.

Great, thanks! Shits definitely starting to ramp up and the sound design with those shockwaves is so good with headphones on.

You can check yourself if you load a game, there are a bunch of checkpoints you can load, and you can see how many more checkpoints u have left

Cool, thanks for the tip!

I finished this over the weekend. Wow, I was glued to my tv with this one. I loved Limbo and I loved this one just as much (maybe a bit more). My only disappointment was that it felt a bit easier when compared to Limbo (though it's been years since I last played it).

But regardless, just an outstanding game from top to bottom. Despite feeling a little easier it helped with the flow of the game as I wasn't stuck for too long on any of the puzzles. Not sure if that's actually a good or bad thing.

Oddly enough, this game scared the crap out of me during a couple segments and got my heart racing. The segments were
with the creepy Ringu type people with the air flowing in the water, yikes.

So, what else is out there on the PS4 that's along the lines of this game and Limbo? I'm craving more.

I have just played it as well, and I have got to say I'm a bit conflicted about it. I definitely liked the atmosphere/setting/story more than Limbo, but I felt like there wasn't enough actual gameplay, if that makes sense? As in, there is a lot of just walking right in this game, but I can't say I didn't enjoy what I played.

Kssio_Aug

Just finished it! I think it was awesome, some tricky sections which got me some time to realize what to do (and discovering it was more obvious than I thought lol), and FANTASTIC atmosphere.

I liked it considerably more than Limbo. And I did like Limbo a lot!

The game is both sad and creepy. I knew I would see a bad ending, but I wanted to believe things would turn out right! T-T I know there's a secret ending though, may try it some day.

And talking about creepy, those
girls with long black hair that tries to drawn you
were tense af. This game has some intense horror vibe!

I think that's an amazing piece of art right there. Playdead is very competent.

MauroNL

I just got a 1.3GB patch for Inside on Xbox One. Anyone have the changelog? Searched everywhere on Twitter and stuff but nobody even mentions the update.

^ Preferred this way more than Limbo. I played Inside over the course of 3 sessions and while I feel Limbo had more challenging puzzles, I prefer this one because it felt like a more cohesive and polished world. And because the gameplay had fewer puzzles it felt like I could soak in more of what was going on. Limbo was a good start, but its art style felt more simple and DeviantArt-y to me while this one accomplished more through the subtlety of its character designs.

And wow, what a fucking hell of a final section. A perfect blend of horror, humor, and ridiculousness. If it didn't have such a spectacular finish I'd still like the game, but it wouldn't linger with me nearly as long.

Ratrat

Honestly, the only portion of this game that I REALLY liked was the last 20 minutes. The rest of the game feels pretty underwhelming compared to that sequence.

would have been cooler.
That is a horrible idea.
It controls horribly, which works well with the idea of being coldly evaluated as a test freak. But aside from not being fun, the shock would wear off.
The best parts are easily the underwater segments. Or any parts that didnt immediately remind me of Limbo or Swapper.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I just got a 1.3GB patch for Inside on Xbox One. Anyone have the changelog? Searched everywhere on Twitter and stuff but nobody even mentions the update.

Came to post this.I want to know what it does.Is frustrating the xbox doesn't have changelog for the updates like the ps4.

Kyonashi

Only played about 20 minutes of this game but thought it was gorgeous and looking to finish it this weekend.
Question for people who have completed it: Would it be better to complete this in one sitting or would you recommend playing it in a few 45-60 min chunks with breaks between?

preta

Only played about 20 minutes of this game but thought it was gorgeous and looking to finish it this weekend.
Question for people who have completed it: Would it be better to complete this in one sitting or would you recommend playing it in a few 45-60 min chunks with breaks between?

Immerse yourself in the atmosphere as fully as you can and play through it in one sitting.

Kyonashi

Immerse yourself in the atmosphere as fully as you can and play through it in one sitting.

Great, that's what I intended but I didn't know if it was more of a Journey-style experience where the game really shines in a single playthrough, or if it was more of a levels-based thing where storming through the puzzles would get a little dull.

nin1000

Banned

One sitting.
You won't regret it

mclem

would have been cooler.

Alternative (spoilery) subtitle for Inside:
A Blob And Its Boy

Playdead will talk about spoiler at GDC: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/huddle-up-making-the-spoiler-of-inside

Spoilers obviously

Very interested in that. I have my own theories as to how it's implemented, but the blurb suggests there's a bit more to it than that.

Top Bottom