• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

No, they are saved and you can freely jump between chapters to find any that you missed.

Cool, thanks! I'm going to have to replay this. I generally don't even dig this type of game, but Inside was just really well done.

It reminds me of Eraserhead meets Red Desert meets
Akira

raviolico

Just finished it. Dear God. ...i'm still in complete awe.
What an incredible ending sequence.. i mean. ...uh.... holy shit!

Playdead, welcome to the Dev Pantheon.

Just finished it. Dear God. ...i'm still in complete awe.
What an incredible ending sequence.. i mean. ...uh.... holy shit!

Playdead, welcome to the Dev Pantheon.
Now you need to go over to the spoiler thread and have your mind blown by all the little details and world-building hints

Lime

finished this an hour ago with my siblings. It was really, really well-designed with so much attention to detail. I don't have many major complaints (maybe the scripted nature of the game, the narrative tropes, and the lack of mechanical depth) but the game achieves incredibly well what it was going for. A well-crafted experience for sure - just try to take in the use of visual perspective and camera direction - it's really, really meticulous.

Personally I also think that having yet another little boy in their game didn't do its promotion any favors, as the game becomes (on a surface level) incredibly similar to Limbo.

Dalibor68

Banned
While I appreciate the dark depressed atmosphere and general presentation, I can't help but be very annoyed at some of the unnecessary trial & error stuff as well as simply unenjoyable segments from a gameplay perspective
like the one where the underwater thing tries to break into your sub

graybot

Anyone know what the Inside update was for.

It's not an easy game to google as it never bring up anything to do with the game when I search

oatmeal

Banned
Bought and finished it in one sitting (as I did with LIMBO).

Great stuff. I enjoyed the first half the best, I think. Once it got weird, I was hoping for a payoff of some sort but didn't get it. Still very enjoyable

Great puzzle designs.

Holy crap I just finished this last night! What an amazingly crafted, beautifully haunting game. I wanted to make a lttp thread but just saw this pop up.

Kudos to Playdead for evolving their ideas with Limbo to create something with more visual flair, lovely animations and even trippier story.

I was in awe with the last 30 mins and left stunned at the games ending. After an hour or so
beyond completion, it sunk in that the blob was actually just controlling us, the player, with it's hive mind to escape in a series of ever lasting experiments by the evil corp running things.

Our endless search to the right of the screen, even for the blob, was all a ruse imo.
Basically we never even knew we were being played?

Incredible how they created such a compelling narrative with no words uttered once.

But really this was a fantastic game and shoutout to the devs for the
19 drones required puzzle.
As it dawned on me what to do, it was eerily exhilarating.

Definitely one of the best games of the year.
Close call between this and Firewatch for indie game of 2016 for me.

OléGunner;225255837 said:
I was in awe with the last 30 mins and left stunned at the games ending. After an hour or so
beyond completion, it sunk in that the blob was actually just controlling us, the player, with it's hive mind to escape in a series of ever lasting experiments by the evil corp running things.

Our endless search to the right of the screen, even for the blob, was all a ruse imo.
Basically we never even knew we were being played?
I did not walk away with this interpretation. I thought the narrative was intentionally vague, to allow such interpretations?

Game's blurb and other details in the world definitely implies what he said
giphy.gif

Wensih

I really thought the Nematomorpha-esque parasites were going to play a larger part in the overall narrative. I don't really know what to make of everything...

I really really hated Limbo. I thought it was style-over-subtance trial and error bollocks.

I bought this in the PSN sale, and although it seems better (not exactly difficult), it still seems to possess the gameplay elements that I hated - namely areas that frustrate more than providing entertainment. Right now for example - three dogs and a fence. It's just irritating - one misjudged slip down the fence and that's that.

Not really getting the hype. Maybe Playdead games just ain't for me (shrugs).

I really really hated Limbo. I thought it was style-over-subtance trial and error bollocks.

I bought this in the PSN sale, and although it seems better (not exactly difficult), it still seems to possess the gameplay elements that I hated - namely areas that frustrate more than providing entertainment. Right now for example - three dogs and a fence. It's just irritating - one misjudged slip down the fence and that's that.

Why would you misjudge, once you have the timing down the first time? Unless you try to be reckless and wait longer than you should

SomTervo

It's a puzzle game. Once you get the puzzle you shouldn't be dying at all. The dogs have an easy solution.

Do you like puzzle games in general?

It's a puzzle game. Once you get the puzzle you shouldn't be dying at all. The dogs have an easy solution.

Do you like puzzle games in general?

Yeah, I loved Talos Principle (that's the most recent example of a puzzle game I could think of). Haven't played the Witness yet but I will once I cull my backlog a bit.

My problem here is, the dog puzzle isn't remotely enjoyable, compounded by having to do it three times (or more, if the dogs are catching up with you). I'm not feeling any attachment to this contextless character i'm controlling or the austere world he inhabits. So when I stumble across anything remotely tiresome - like jumping a fence, pulling a board off the wall, running back to the fence to avoid dogs etc - my feeling isn't one of being entertained or challenged, just one of tedium because there isn't a great deal driving me to get through the door beyond various reviews telling me it's a great game.

Inside was such an experience I really love it. One of the most unique and disturbing games I've played and I was impressed how detailed the world was. I've been planning to start my second round but I find parts of the game too unnerving to play again at least during the night. Definitely in my top 3 games of the year.

there isn't a great deal driving me to get through the door beyond various reviews telling me it's a great game.
Reviews are telling you they feel it's a great game and why they think so. It doesnt mean in any way, shape, or form that it's a great game for everyone. It's basically Super Limbo, in the vein of how Super Mario Bros was to the original Mario. So if you really hated Limbo and its style of gameplay...Inside probably won't be a great game for you

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished my playthrough this afternoon. Overall I liked it a lot, especially the ending sequence. Only bits I didn't like were puzzles involving dogs as those were a little to trial and error, die and load again for me.

Great atmosphere and setting, and some clever puzzles. I didn't come away as blown away as many, but definitely a neat little game. Don't know that I'll bother getting all the orbs (as I'm not a fan of hunting for hidden things) so I just YouTube the result of doing that.

This was a masterpiece. That ending. HOLY SHIT! Bravo. I love the thought that this is an example of what senior indy-games developers can offer, if this is where the industry is heading, we're in for some awesome sauce.

tumblr_o8vwy90TWr1v1wiolo3_1280.gif

Gamers take notice this will be on a lot of GOTY lists.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
no spoilers! question about how far along INSIDE i am -
just finished the '20 people on the weight'
room. i am cruising along, not really looking for secrets - how many hours do i have left?

want to put aside some time tonight to finish the game in one sitting if possible

thank you!

no spoilers! question about how far along INSIDE i am -
just finished the '20 people on the weight'
room. i am cruising along, not really looking for secrets - how many hours do i have left?

want to put aside some time tonight to finish the game in one sitting if possible

thank you!
Game's about 3-4 hours long, I'd say you're about a third of the way through

Thank god for that one Gafter who recommended playing this in one run. Did it last night and it was one hell of an experience. I can't even process all that happened even after watching 3 theory videos. I don't even want to back for the trophies. I liked the first experience too much.

PlayDead joins the Ultimate godlike Dev Alliance along side ND, R*,CDPR and From.

meronpan

Neo Member
I feel really tricked by this game, building up all this spooky atmosphere, grabbing me into that world. But in the end there is absolutely nothing of substance regarding story. Everything feels like just for the sake of creating that specific atmosphere - everything was totally random to me. I can enjoy some "We leave it to your imagination", but this was just lame.

The puzzles were too easy, the trial & error platforming not enjoyable.

This game might be my biggest disappointment in 2016, maybe. I feel ripped off even for the 7,99€ I paid while it was on sale.

Just finished this a few hours ago. I thought my GOTY list was complete but this has snuck its way into my top 5. The puzzles where not difficult except maybe one or two that required precise timing but over all the puzzles where extremely cleaver. I can't wait to go through it again and find all the secrets, too bad there isn't a platinum though.

I feel really tricked by this game, building up all this spooky atmosphere, grabbing me into that world. But in the end there is absolutely nothing of substance regarding story. Everything feels like just for the sake of creating that specific atmosphere - everything was totally random to me. I can enjoy some "We leave it to your imagination", but this was just lame.

The puzzles were too easy, the trial & error platforming not enjoyable.

This game might be my biggest disappointment in 2016, maybe. I feel ripped off even for the 7,99€ I paid while it was on sale.

Personally I experienced barely any of that trial and error in my traversal and platforming. That element, in addition to most all of the puzzles, didnt feel as though it was especially difficult (for seasoned video game players) but had a wonderful organic feel. The solutions and escape routes rarely had strict binary fail vs success states. You were given windows in which to work and moments of tension and release were sculpted so elegantly. Even in cases where you did have binary fail states they were disguised so well.

New high water mark for environmental world-building/story-telling. Speaking of the later, I just fundamentally disagree with you saying there's nothing of substance in the narrative. There's a ton there for those who read between the lines or study the nuances that are often clouded intentionally by the oppressive bleak nature of the game

TheYanger

Yeah strange to claim the game lacks narrative just because it doesn't have a bunch of written exposition. Not every game needs to blatantly say "You know boy, we really are the INSIDE of us" to have a story.

meronpan

Neo Member
Yeah strange to claim the game lacks narrative just because it doesn't have a bunch of written exposition. Not every game needs to blatantly say "You know boy, we really are the INSIDE of us" to have a story.

Well actually it just leaves the player with only questions and does not even try to answer anything subtly. I do not want that exposition but at least some hints. Seems like I am just too ignorant to see the "story".

TheYanger

Well actually it just leaves the player with only questions and does not even try to answer anything subtly. I do not want that exposition but at least some hints. Seems like I am just to ignorant to see the "story".

There are lots of answers. You want them fed to you, and that's fine, but it's factually wrong to say that there is no story in the game. You are correct in that the game is likely to leave you with questions, but it's only up to you to look into it and start to unravel them.

meronpan

Neo Member
There are lots of answers. You want them fed to you, and that's fine, but it's factually wrong to say that there is no story in the game. You are correct in that the game is likely to leave you with questions, but it's only up to you to look into it and start to unravel them.

Ok, can you give an example of such a reveal. I am honestly interested and do not quite see where I could have missed it. I always explored where possible and did not especially rush through the game.

Ok, can you give an example of such a reveal. I am honestly interested and do not quite see where I could have missed it. I always explored where possible and did not especially rush through the game.
That the boy was being controlled all along by the blob and the ending area was all a planned test run to see how the blob performs. And not the first test run either, but just another in a series of many.

meronpan

Neo Member
That the boy was being controlled all along by the blob and the ending area was all a planned test run to see how the blob performs. And not the first test run either, but just another in a series of many.

That much I assumed but it is still a little thin, as the whole always stays vague. Maybe I am too critic about that.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere itself and I was kind of immersed into the game, I can give that much credit. Still, so many things remain unclear and it was not really satisfying to me.

Thanks for you hint, however.

Top Bottom