• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Integrated AC97 Sound in Laptop- What the "#%@#$"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memles

I'm leasing a laptop from my University this fall (Not a choice, tuition is huge because of it) and thus have no ability to upgrade or touch the actual laptop. Nor, as it is, has tech support helped me with understand the technology behind the laptop. Sure, once I get it I'll be able to play around with it, but until then I'm only going by information online.

I'm looking to pick up a set of Speakers in order to play DVDs and Games (Logitech Speakers) and all I know about my laptop's sound capabailities is that it is Integrated Sound, and an AC97 Controller. I've scanned the web, and this had yet to make any sense to me.

I get what it is; Sound build into the motherboard, rather than a card of its own. High quality, low cost. I understand. My problem is; how does it compare to normal sound cards?

For instance, if I wanted to pick up Speakers that had 5.1 Surround Sound...would a simple AC97 setup with no extras actually allow me to use that to its full potential? Or would it simply not make sense to spend the extra money for such a setup when it won't actually do it. Would it be better to instead pick up a set of 2.1 speakers, save some money, with the situation with the AC97 sound? I've seen a lot of programs that seem to involve emulating surround sound, but at the same time I wonder if that was with the upgrades.

Does anyone have ANY experience with AC97 sound that can help me understand the whole thing, and its surround capabilities? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
AC97 and integrated audio in general (video still has a ways to go) has come a long way. It'll suit you fine. You may not have a line out tho, which sucks if you like hooking up a laptop to a receiver.

The features have come a long way as well. While I don't use it, my motherboard has 6.1 integrated sound. Not bad.

Play with the installed sound software and play w/ the output levels and surround options (if any). Not like you have a choice.

Memles

DaCocoBrova said:
AC97 and integrated audio in general (video still has a ways to go) has come a long way. It'll suit you fine. You may not have a line out tho, which sucks if you like hooking up a laptop to a receiver.

The features have come a long way as well. While I don't use it, my motherboard has 6.1 integrated sound. Not bad.

Play with the installed sound software and play w/ the output levels and surround options (if any). Not like you have a choice.

Only thing I'd be doing is setting up a set of Logitech Computer Speakers...my problem is deciding between 2.1 and 5.1. Not actually having my laptop here before next friday kind of sucks, as I can't check on any of this, as I'm forced to do this with no real assistance. Thanks for the help, though, I now at least have some hope the 5.1 might work out.

Memles

crumbs said:
If you're not happy with the on board sound, could you use something like this?

Seems like it could worse, but that costs nearly twice as much as the speakers; not worth it.

Thanks, though.

Memles

8bit said:
You can't plug a USB card into the back of it?

I'm not sure what you mean by touch. Anyway, I got one of these.

As to playing games, AC97 might not support Direct Sound, so you might take a hit there.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3701&item=5116880769&rd=1

Actually, I'd be using the games part as in console; the speakers have an adapter of some sort to use for console sound. PC Games, not as much so.

I can plug in a USB Card, but I think I'm getting a better grasp of it, and don't think I'll need it. We'll see, I guess. It's only $80 Canadian, the 5.1 set, so I'll likely pick it up and use it for consoles either way, and get solid sound even if it doesn't support direct 5.1, although I have reason to believe it might.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom