• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel admits Core Ultra 9 285K will be slower than i9-14900K in gaming

Celcius

°Temp. member
8f7e546e9f3257ca9b849913474aa6b7.png
Ouch, that's almost a $200 difference between the Core 7 and Core 9.
For an extra 4 e-cores and 200mhz on the boost?

Last edited:

nowhat

Silver Wattle

Gold Member

rnlval

Those chips essentially solve nothing for Intel.

Efficiency is still miles behind ARM for casual laptops and mobile productivity. Leaked M4 is no slouch and Qualcomm is getting surprisingly competent.

Power and gamer mindshare? Yeah, good luck with restoring your reputation after that voltage fiasco without a semblance of RMA policy.

APU? We are not even touching that subject. Strix Point will be a default choice for portable gaming and PS5 Pro APU shows that you can get quite a lot of even with older Zen chips.

Strictly speaking there is very little room for growth on a gaming CPU market (I still see almost zero reasons to upgrade my 5800x3d) and Intel has nothing to offer to the most fast-growing segments.
Wrong,

Last edited:

winjer

Von Hugh

Here are the slides in English.

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200S-200K-ARROW-LAKE-S_22.jpg

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200S-200K-ARROW-LAKE-S_41.jpg

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200S-200K-ARROW-LAKE-S_38.jpg

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200S-200K-ARROW-LAKE-S_13.jpg

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200S-200K-ARROW-LAKE-S_08.jpg

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200S-200K-ARROW-LAKE-S_07.jpg

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200S-200K-ARROW-LAKE-S_19.jpg

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200S-200K-ARROW-LAKE-S_28.jpg

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200S-200K-ARROW-LAKE-S_06.jpg

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200S-200K-ARROW-LAKE-S_05.jpg

But what about idle power consumption? I heard that's what truly matters.

Allandor

Honestly this is a disappointment. I was one of the few who knew it was a possibility that the Arrow Lake would actually perform worse than the 14 series, but I expected the power consumption to drastically decrease.

Yes, there was a decrease, but it's still quite a bit higher than I was thinking Intel needed.

Remains to be see how the more mainstream CPUs do.

Short version: if you have a 7800X3D, the 9800X3D is your best hope for an upgrade.

I am curious how much Intel CPUs will be helped using the CAMM2 RAM.
Well why even upgrade?
Even from my 5800x3d everything feels more like a side grade. I guess I upgrade next with the next gen or am6

How the turntables. Intel now focusing on efficiency on their slides (which seems to still be behind the competition by the way)

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm really liking the new efficiency and lower temps. I wish ff14 performance was a little better but I guess it is what it is.

Last edited:

winjer

Last edited:

Seems like some games will need to get patched / optimized. New architecture is new.

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Disappointed that there was no gaming performance improvement, but gaming is only one aspect when it comes to CPU.

I still hold out hope that faster memory speeds can improve things. With Arrow Lake Sweet Spot memory being DDR5 8000.

I am only going to look at the positives, since some of you people are being negative.

+faster in gaming than my current rig (Zen5 lost to my overclocked 13600K)
+fastest DDR5 memory support (DDR5 8000 sweet spot is very enticing to me, and pricing of DDR5 8000 ain't bad)
+much improved efficiency

Also glad to see that Intel didn't lie and insult my intelligence, unlike AMD, who made lied in their first party slides making fools believe they'd beat the 14900K by a decent margin, where Intel is only claiming parity.

Good to see an honest CPU company.

I'm sure a particular someone will be jumping to criticise AMD Intel for their misleading slides.
Intel ran JEDEC speeds, as they always do.

Arrow Lake = 6400
Raptor Lake = 5600
Zen 5 = 5600

Different CPUs have different capabilities. If Intel were to pull an AMD, they would have overclocked the RAM towards the sweet spot to make Arrow Lake look better (Zen 5 slides used overclocked RAM, which favored AMD numbers, as you would expect from an AMD first party slide).

winjer

Intel ran JEDEC speeds, as they always do.

Arrow Lake = 6400
Raptor Lake = 5600
Zen 5 = 5600

Different CPUs have different capabilities. If Intel were to pull an AMD, they would have overclocked the RAM towards the sweet spot to make Arrow Lake look better (Zen 5 slides used overclocked RAM, which favored AMD numbers, as you would expect from an AMD first party slide).

Allow me to teach you a new thing today.
The official max memory speeds that Intel publishes are always 1dpc. For example, the 14900K, has max speed of 5600 Mbps for 1 Dimm per Channel. But a speed of 5200 Mbps for 2 dimms per channel.
So for using dual channel memory, the official value is 5200 Mbps. Not 5600 Mbps.

Then again, no one cares about these official numbers and will just buy and run the memory they want to. Often, above the official specs.

Leonidas

Allow me to teach you a new thing today.
The official max memory speeds that Intel publishes are always 1dpc. For example, the 14900K, has max speed of 5600 Mbps for 1 Dimm per Channel. But a speed of 5200 Mbps for 2 dimms per channel.
So for using dual channel memory, the official value is 5200 Mbps. Not 5600 Mbps.

Then again, no one cares about these official numbers and will just buy and run the memory they want to. Often, above the official specs.
You seem very ignorant when it comes to this subject.... you taught me nothing, yet again.

winjer

You seem very ignorant when it comes to this subject.... you taught me nothing, yet again.

That is because you choose to ignore the facts. Read Intel's specs sheets and you can confirm it's true.

BTW, did you notice this slide?
We were right in saying performance in games, for the 285K would change by 5%. We just missed the direction.

lOcCGv4.jpeg

Leonidas

That is because you choose to ignore the facts. Read Intel's specs sheets and you can confirm it's true.

BTW, did you notice this slide?
We were right in saying performance in games, for the 285K would change by 5%. We just missed the direction.

lOcCGv4.jpeg
Your ignorance regarding DDR5 is still showing.

Also, your slide is for 265K, which Intel claims is ~5% slower than 285K...

zeroluck

Hopefully the 1% low in gaming isn't as disappointing, I don't really care about max fps, if it is a much more efficient Raptor Lake with better 1% low, then I might upgrade. Looking forward to DF's review with their new automated test suite.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The power consumption and lower temps are most welcome. Price is still too high. Especially when you will likely need a new motherboard in order to upgrade.

Im still rocking a B560 LGA 1200 mobo. Getting a new mobo with wifi and will set me back another $600. might as well just invest that towards a better GPU.

FireFly

+faster in gaming than my current rig (Zen5 lost to my overclocked 13600K)
The Intel slides have it practically tied with the 9950X, which we know is practically tied with the 9700X. If there's a difference it should be 1-2% only, which you already agreed is meaningless. After the 24H2 update we would expect the 9700X to be very close to the 14900K also.

winjer

The Intel slides have it practically tied with the 9950X, which we know is practically tied with the 9700X. If there's a difference it should be 1-2% only, which you already agreed is meaningless. After the 24H2 update we would expect the 9700X to be very close to the 14900K also.

And the gaming king will still be the 7800X3D.
Though, the 9800X3D should be around the corner.

Leonidas

Maybe so, but it remains to be seen.

But it does seem Arrow Lake will benefit from faster RAM. DDR5 8000 is expected to boost Arrow Lake by another 5%.

At any rate, no matter which CPU I upgrade to, Arrow Lake, X3D, we're only talking at best a 5-13% increase over my overclocked 13600K. A very small number. Something which I don't care about, but I will end up upgrading because in addition to faster gaming, I will also get much better MT and ST and probably much better emulation as well, thanks to the fact that Arrow Lake appears to have the highest ST of any desktop CPU in 2024.

Top Bottom