• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting Burnout 3 Xbox v. PS2 sales tidbit

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
When gathering quotes today for a burnout 3 feature, EB Games' VP of marketing told me that last week the Xbox version of the title outsold the PS2 version nearly 2:1. Pretty amazing when you look at the incredibly smaller installed base. She said it was evening out this week and would continue to do so, but that's not the point.

The point is, hardcore gamers' (multi console owners, purchasers on release date) purchases are clearly effected by XBL support. Although there are other minor differences, XBL is the only major advantage the Xbox version has over the PS2.

It's not huge news, but the ratio surprised me. I'd have thought the millions more PS2 owners would keep it even.

M3wThr33

Banned
A higher up? That sounds odd.
Some game stores always seem to have a specific tilt sometimes, but this is broader.

Meier

For me, XBL compatibility has nothing to do with a title like this when comparing the two. If it's a multi-platform game, I'm getting it on the Xbox. It's just always going to be the best option basically.

Pug

I bought the Xbox version just becasue I think the S pad is much better designed for racers. Never ever been able to get comfortable with the Dual Shock. Hopefully on the PS3 they stick some triggers on it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
the one thing that was making me think about getting the PS2 version over the Xbox version was the wheel support.

But after purchasing the Xbox version , i fail to see how it would be possible to play with the wheel. The game is just too fecking fast!

Has anyone tried it?

I was torn, but went with the XBox in the end. The PS2 version is more technically impressive, but the load times were the clincher.

M3wThr33

Banned
I've only seen the PS2 version. Everything was REALLY REALLY REALLY shiny. Even the asphalt in the garage had a reflection. What!?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"The PS2 version is more technically impressive, but the load times were the clincher."

you mean more impressive for the machines capabilities or more impressive than the Xbox version full stop?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
GDJustin said:
The point is, hardcore gamers' (multi console owners, purchasers on release date) purchases are clearly effected by XBL support.
Honestly, I think SF Anniv. Collection will be a better lithmus test of this than Burnout 3.

The whole Custom Soundtrack thing, as mentioned, really does hold a lot of weight on its own.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Yeah in hindsight I kind of agree with you. My analysis was a bit off. The 2:1 thing is interesting nonetheless.

ChrisReid

Yeah, I think there's just a perception that multiplatform games are going to be better on the XBox. No one feature (Live, load times, sound tracks, graphics) is doing it, but overall people are increasingly going to be getting the XBox one as people acquire both system. The exception I see is something like Madden with entrenched PS2 support.

wazoo

Europe is Burnout territory.

Sony murders the competition in Europe.

Worldwide Burnout3 sales on ps2 >> worldwide B3 sales on Xbox

Top Bottom