• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Into the Badlands - Post-apocalyptic kung-fu meets steampunk western - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandit1

I thought the second episode was better than the first. The opening fight scene was great, the Widow was brutally quick with those short blades! I really wasn't expecting the Baron's diagnosis, and killing the doctor and his wife was shocking, they didn't even need to show it. I'm glad Sunny took a stand against killing them and I hope that the Baron's act will convince him to flee with his girl and their baby. Also glad MK is back with Sunny.

Oh and tomahawk deflection ftw!

aku:jiki

Oh, hell yeah. Even better than the first episode. I said before that I found this promising, but now I think it's my new favorite. Can't wait for the next episode.

Also, yes, the widow is my new waifu. None of you can have her.

I wonder what Quinn's goals are going to be now. He clearly doesn't have much faith in his son.
I think the point of his story as they rode out is that he wants Sunny to be his successor. If Quinn himself could rise from poppy picker to baron, the succession probably doesn't have to be by blood. Knowing this show so far, a baron can probably announce a trial by combat thing for his throne.

Bandit1

One thing I forgot to mention was that I found it kind of odd that they run those "Coming up on Into the Badlands" teasers before they cut to commercial. I don't think they did it every time, but they would usually tease a fight scene as if to reassure the audience that some action was coming. Like they were afraid the viewers would get bored of the story they were trying to tell and quit watching. I don't know, not a big deal, just seemed strange to me.

Also gotta say I love seeing the 30s 40s cars in here, good stuff. Sunny's motorcycle is awesome too, I hope we get to see more of that.

Hero

This show is fantastic if only just because if fills a niche that nobody else is doing. Props to AMC for making this show.

I've been holding off from watching this then got a glimpse of episode 2 intro. Yup every Sunday watching this

Wow I thought the Quinn was played by Doug Ray Scott. Also with that beard he kinda looks like Andy Serkis
I thought the kid is going to be escaping per baron land every episode just to show the BADLANDS universe. Good they put a stop on that

Jeeesus the main kid is unbearable. He just seems like he's straight out of drama school and has no idea how to act like a normal person. Watching him grunt like he was doing hard labour while shoveling handfuls of dirt into that grave last week, or sinking into the bath this week in a multi-orgasmic fit, he's just so over the top. Cool it, kiddo :p

Fight scenes continue to be awesome, though. I'll watch an awful lot of garbage if it's regularly interspersed with people murdering eachother this gorgeously. I lost my shit when the Widow was just fucking that dude up.

I think the point of his story as they rode out is that he wants Sunny to be his successor. If Quinn himself could rise from poppy picker to baron, the succession probably doesn't have to be by blood. Knowing this show so far, a baron can probably announce a trial by combat thing for his throne.

They are definitely setting up some Gladiator plot to the Baronship (?) .

Frog-fu

Banned
I like the show. I like Sunny. I cannot stand MK.

Also, if the show is gonna cop so much from Asian culture, they could stand to hire more Asian actors.

Volimar

^good point

Jeeesus the main kid is unbearable. He just seems like he's straight out of drama school and has no idea how to act like a normal person. Watching him grunt like he was doing hard labour while shoveling handfuls of dirt into that grave last week, or sinking into the bath this week in a multi-orgasmic fit, he's just so over the top. Cool it, kiddo :p

Fight scenes continue to be awesome, though. I'll watch an awful lot of garbage if it's regularly interspersed with people murdering eachother this gorgeously. I lost my shit when the Widow was just fucking that dude up.

It's not that noticeable until he has scenes with Tilda. She's much better than him.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Also don't forget that the Widow apparently killed her husband/former Baron to become the new Baron and hence the problem currently where they don't take her seriously because the previous Barons were men.

IronRinn

Also don't forget that the Widow apparently killed her husband/former Baron to become the new Baron and hence the problem currently where they don't take her seriously because the previous Barons were men.

Quinn even says to his first wife in the pilot that "power isn't inherited, it's taken" or something close to that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L+SD Ratings

Episode 1 - 6.4 million viewers and a 3.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 2 - 4.8 million viewers and a 2.3 A18-49 rating

L+3 Ratings

Episode 1 - 8.2 million viewers and a 4.0 A18-49 rating

SYNTAX182

I'm wierded out that there's only one asian guy and everyone else is white in the post apocalypse. Just looks funny lol. Still looks interesting though and definitely on my queue.

I'm wierded out that there's only one asian guy and everyone else is white in the post apocalypse. Just looks funny lol. Still looks interesting though and definitely on my queue.
in walking dead there is also only one asian

lets face it asians aint holding up in the end of the world

Grifter

I spot plenty of Asians. They're the rando henchmen who get killed late after showing some cool moves. (The capable HK stuntmen.)

Frog-fu

Banned
I spot plenty of Asians. They're the rando henchmen who get killed late after showing some cool moves. (The capable HK stuntmen.)

Aside from Sunny, his love interest and that one black guy, every speaking role has been white.

Not good enough.

I'd love to see a Blade like mofo ripping people up. Honestly this show would be cooler if M.K. was black. Would be like Rush Hour serious edition.

I'm actually dead serious though. It would have been cooler.

Pachimari

I'm really liking this show, and hope that it'll see a full season.

Great fight scenes again. The choreography in this show is crazy. Do we know how many episodes this season will have?

Just six episodes

Six? That ain't shit. That's like South Central.

Lets not forget, TWD started this way, with 6, before it got bigger seasons.
What!? Why only six episodes? And then we'll have to wait a year for a second season with hopefully more episodes?
Six episodes is super short but I'll take what I can get.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So we could see a longer second season?

Possibly. I think it might depend on if they want to continue having 5+ minutes of intricately choreographed fight scenes in every episode. I have no idea how long it takes to stage the action scenes, but I'm sure it takes a long time and I can't imagine they'd maintain their quality if they had to do 10+ episodes a season.

I hope season 1 will do well, or good enough to warrant another season.

I'm sure it will.

Possibly. I think it might depend on if they want to continue having 5+ minutes of intricately choreographed fight scenes in every episode. I have no idea how long it takes to stage the action scenes, but I'm sure it takes a long time and I can't imagine they'd maintain their quality if they had to do 10+ episodes a season
In an interview, they said it takes 6 days to shoot each fight

jerry113

Banned
I appreciate how the camera stays still for prolonged shots during the fights. You can see the full deflections and impacts. You can see that the actors are trained.

I appreciate how the camera stays still for prolonged shots during the fights. You can see the full deflections and impacts. You can see that the actors are trained.

It's bloody good stuff. Everything from the choreography to the camerawork to the actors to the editing is on fucking point. You never see a single shot with a bent-legged kick or a half-hearted punch, even in the scenes featuring the actors who don't have any martial arts/stuntwork experience (insert gif of The Widow fucking that dude uuuuuup). It's been said numerous times in this thread, but it bears repeating: the action in this show is far beyond the quality of most Hollywood movies, which is just crazy for a TV show's budget and deadlines.

I'm hoping we see a good, extended one-on-one fight, soon, and when I say extended I mean loooong :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

White Stork Spreads Wings

As Sunny begins to train M.K., the boy struggles to learn discipline. Meanwhile, Quinn seeks retribution against The Widow and faces the consequences.

jerry113

Banned
HNNGGH. This show is so anime it even has waifus now.

1531911504659894703.jpg

Was looking online. The prison riot scene in Raid 2 took 8 days to film, the kitchen fight took 10

So yeah, 6 days a fight is really impressive

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Looks like they're planning 10 episodes for season 2:

"It's not a show where we could do 20-30 episodes, because that's a crazy amount of fighting - if it was a network show on 20-30 episodes a season, that would be impossible.

"So I think what we're focusing on for next season is 10 episodes, and I think that's a good number."​

Source

Kadayi

Banned
Like what I've seen, but as other have said the kid is dire. Whole thing reminds me of Bunraku though without the styling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom