• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Into the Badlands - Post-apocalyptic kung-fu meets steampunk western - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it could be cool but John Wick ruined me for all other martial arts films/movies. Seeing legit muay thai/jiujitsu and then trying to watch floaty kung fu just doesn't work for me anymore.

Forreal? John Wick's action takes a huge drop when he loses the guns. You can only see so many judo throws before they get boring

I hope he barely ever goes without a weapon in the sequel

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A couple more reviews:

Colorado Springs Gazette said:
"Into the Badlands" is created by Miles Millar and Al Gough, the same team that worked on "Smallville." A similar youth-centered approach is taken here at times when the story focuses solely on M.K. and it's a bit of a distraction from Wu's enjoyable take as Sunny. But as a fan of the action/fighting genre, I found "Into the Badlands" a refreshingly unique martial arts series.

San Francisco Chronicle said:
All of this is predictable but not without promise. It’s only when the actors open their mouths that the promise evaporates.

The fight scenes do work, however, even if many of them are filmed in that slo-mo “Crouching Tiger” manner that seems to be required of any martial arts scene. As gory as the fight scenes occasionally are, though, we’re mostly happy for them because at least the actors don’t have to utter any of the inane dialogue.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
More reviews:

Rolling Stone said:
[The series] conjures the ghost of Kung Fu, the classic Seventies yarn with David Carradine roaming the Wild West seeking enlightenment and kicking ass. Throw in some Game of Thrones intrigue, loads of Django Unchained Civil War plantation ambience, the spirit of Bruce Lee and the bleak vibe of The Walking Dead, and you've got Badlands.

Kung-Fu and the Western: always an unkillable combination.

The Globe and Mail said:
A strange, trippy show and odd that AMC goes from Mad Men and Breaking Bad to this. But it’s gloriously crazy.

The fight scenes do work, however, even if many of them are filmed in that slo-mo “Crouching Tiger” manner that seems to be required of any martial arts scene.

nooooo pls

The faster a fight scene, the better. Speed! Bam bam bam, gorgeous thumpy viciousness on screen. Slo-mo has no place in a fight scene. The moment you hit the slo-mo button you ruin it.

Chichikov

A couple more reviews:
San Francisco Chronicle said:
The fight scenes do work, however, even if many of them are filmed in that slo-mo “Crouching Tiger” manner that seems to be required of any martial arts scene. As gory as the fight scenes occasionally are, though, we’re mostly happy for them because at least the actors don’t have to utter any of the inane dialogue.
Ummm, Crouching Tiger had very little slow motion.
But yeah, not a huge fan of slow motion in martial arts films in general.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Some more reviews:

Sepinwall said:
Doing more than two or three big fight scenes per hour is a practical impossibility in television. So even though the swordplay is fun, there's not nearly enough. In the age of Peak TV, and DVRs with multiple tuners, there might be something said for recording "Into the Badlands" to watch later when you can fast-forward straight to the action. But that's about it.

Boston Globe said:
How I wish the rest of Into the Badlands rose to the occasion of the phenomenal choreography. The story lines and the characters aren’t disastrous, by any means, but they’re disappointing as they fall into the action, post-apocalyptic, and family-soap formulas we’ve seen many, many times before.

Yahoo! TV said:
The new AMC show is packed with rigorously choreographed and slicingly edited action scenes, and it builds a mythology that combines elements of Asian martial-arts movies, American Westerns, film noir, horror, biker flicks, and nighttime soap operas.... One big problem with Badlands is its punishingly dour tone, utterly devoid of humor or any fleeting moments of lightness.... I just wish Into The Badlands was more fun.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The series premiere is tonight!

The Fort

In the Season 1 premiere, the Badlands' deadliest Clipper, Sunny, rescues a mysterious boy, M.K., who harbors a dark secret, but may also know the way out of the Badlands.

In for the fight scenes

Forreal? John Wick's action takes a huge drop when he loses the guns. You can only see so many judo throws before they get boring

I hope he barely ever goes without a weapon in the sequel
I prefer efficient over flashy. Wick's fighting style definitely hinged on being effective over being cool or stylish.

SRG01

This show sounds interesting, but is this only on premium channels in Canada? Are there no Canadian streaming services that will carry this show?

Tempting from awhile back, but checking this morning only to find it apparently has a TV-14 rating greatly sours the expectations---with the likes of HBO in general, Evil Dead on Starz of late, and so on I don't know that I can suspend enough anymore to get into something watered down especially considering the concept should have this edging some boundaries if anything.

Tempting from awhile back, but checking this morning only to find it apparently has a TV-14 rating greatly sours the expectations---with the likes of HBO in general, Evil Dead on Starz of late, and so on I don't know that I can suspend enough anymore to get into something watered down especially considering the concept should have this edging some boundaries if anything.

Hannibal was TV-14

What does this need to be super bloody or gory? Good fight choreography doesn't need that to be enjoyable.

And the show looks pretty bloody from the trailer

3XqRdL4.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Exactly when will this be on ?

Also, any way to stream it ?

I'd be shocked if AMC didn't put the the first episode on their website for free.

Slayven

Damn, no chill.

Notice these goons weapons were made out of copper....I am guessing steel reserved for the elite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom