• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Moto X Style (phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh.

I'm seeing people make similar complaints on Reddit. Sounds exactly like the Nexus 6.

If that's the case, I'm gonna return it and be done with Moto. Probably pick up the Note 5 as well. Or wait for the the Huawei Nexus 6.

It might be the radiation the phone emits. Moto phones have really high SAR levels that are barely below the legal limit. Apparently this type of radiation heats up your body when it passes through.

I also tested temps in my phone after some web browsing though and they were 45-55 degrees Celsius. That's 113-131 degrees Fahrenheit. So it definitely was heating up hotter than even phones like the OnePlus 2 that has an 810 processor.

SMattera

It might be the radiation the phone emits. Moto phones have really high SAR levels that are barely below the legal limit. Apparently this type of radiation heats up your body when it passes through.

I also tested temps in my phone after some web browsing though and they were 45-55 degrees Celsius. That's 113-131 degrees Fahrenheit. So it definitely was heating up hotter than even phones like the OnePlus 2 that has an 810 processor.

I'm using a Moto E right now that doesn't have this issue.

A hot phone is a dealbreaker for me. It's just uncomfortable to use and I know it's gotta be killing the battery long-term.

I'm using a Moto E right now that doesn't have this issue.

A hot phone is a dealbreaker for me. It's just uncomfortable to use and I know it's gotta be killing the battery long-term.

Yeah it gets too hot for normal usage. Plus it performed worse than my OPO.

SMattera

I'm supposed to get it on Tuesday.

Giving it the benefit of the doubt, it could be an issue with a particular network, or a particular app, or a particular case.

I'll run it for a day without a SIM card. I won't install any apps, and I won't put a case on it. Just Chrome and Wi-Fi. I'll report back.

How widespread is the heating thing?

Seems like alot of people reporting it. Of course reviewers glossed over it. I'm on T-Mobile if that helps and used it caseless so if you use a case it might not feel as hot. It was also laggy and web browsing would often stutter. The battery life was the worst offender. I made it 5 hrs at work before my battery was wiped out. I'd wait for the Nexus or get a OP2 if I were you guys. Apparently that phone doesn't have heating issues.

Alchemy

Seems like alot of people reporting it. Of course reviewers glossed over it. I'm on T-Mobile if that helps and used it caseless so if you use a case it might not feel as hot. It was also laggy and web browsing would often stutter. The battery life was the worst offender. I made it 5 hrs at work before my battery was wiped out. I'd wait for the Nexus or get a OP2 if I were you guys. Apparently that phone doesn't have heating issues.

I played like an hour of Future Fight on it, didn't get any warmer than I'd expect running a 3D game. No worse than my 5C or previous Android phones. It did work through my battery fairly quickly though. Normal use plus that gaming time got my battery down to 9% from 10:30am to 9:30pm.

I played like an hour of Future Fight on it, didn't get any warmer than I'd expect running a 3D game. No worse than my 5C or previous Android phones. It did work through my battery fairly quickly though. Normal use plus that gaming time got my battery down to 9% from 10:30am to 9:30pm.

Maybe I got one from a bad batch. I got mine from Amazon, so maybe people will only have issues that got it from there.

Has anyone returned this directly to Moto? I wanna know if I have to pay some sort of restocking fee if and most likely when I return mine.

welp. finally out for delivery. one day early! won't be able to use it until google sends out that sim card though. hopefully project fi hurry up and gets to work on moto x though so i can use some of sprints network lol.

welp. finally out for delivery. one day early! won't be able to use it until google sends out that sim card though. hopefully project fi hurry up and gets to work on moto x though so i can use some of sprints network lol.

Guess I should contact support and see if they have started the process for me...

edit: Of course they havent. People on reddit saying they have estimated dates of the 18th with tracking numbers already and I'm here with my thumb up my ass. Frustrating.

j-wood

My friend needed a new phone and I convinced him the new Moto X would be a great choice (he had a galaxy s3).

He got his phone it and it constantly randomly reboots while using apps. Contacted Moto support and they were telling him bullshit, like you have to fully drain the battery a few times to get the phone in working order. What the fuck?

Either way, he did as they asked and, no surprise here, that didn't do shit. So now he has to wait for a new one.

Seems like he got a defective unit, feel bad for suggesting this phone to him.

InfernoNR

Right now I'm between getting this phone and the One Plus One. I was leaning toward the Moto X 2015, but now that I'm reading about this heating problem I'm not quite sure what to do again. OPO still seems like a great buy.

Guess I should contact support and see if they have started the process for me...

edit: Of course they havent. People on reddit saying they have estimated dates of the 18th with tracking numbers already and I'm here with my thumb up my ass. Frustrating.

RIP 64GB owners. should have went with 32gb or even 16gb ;P

RIP 64GB owners. should have went with 32gb or even 16gb ;P

Screwed on storage space, screwed on getting the phone, screwed on love D:
My girlfriend wants a Pure now, I told her dealing with motos incompetence isnt worth it and to just get it from best buy/amazon and call it a day.

I tried to cancel my order but apparently I was "two hours too late". Support said I should just deny my shipment but I'm afraid that it'll get lost or something and I won't get a refund...

I tried to cancel my order but apparently I was "two hours too late". Support said I should just deny my shipment but I'm afraid that it'll get lost or something and I won't get a refund...

accept it and just contact CS again. i mean you're already charged for the phone.

EDIT: Looks like my phone has arrived at the fedex for pickup. now i wait until i get off work for it. also i'm surprised some of yall haven't taken pictures of the phone yet. what happened to showing off your custom moto x? ;P

accept it and just contact CS again. i mean you're already charged for the phone.

EDIT: Looks like my phone has arrived at the fedex for pickup. now i wait until i get off work for it. also i'm surprised some of yall haven't taken pictures of the phone yet. what happened to showing off your custom moto x? ;P

I just feel like I'm gonna have to pay shipping or a restock fee or something

Id post mine but...what if somebody likes it so much and steals my design? No...I cant let this happen!
My design is already posted from my order confirmation lulz

I just feel like I'm gonna have to pay shipping or a restock fee or something
shipping yes since we all got free shipping. RIP then. you should just auction it off on ebay (y)

Id post mine but...what if somebody likes it so much and steals my design? No...I cant let this happen!
My design is already posted from my order confirmation lulz

oh. yours wasn't generic placeholder? lucky. mine was some ugly brown thing lol.

FZZ

Banned
Phone just came in

First 5 minute impressions. Screen is gorgeous doesn't have any issues, and with everything updating and downloading it started to get warm once I started using multiple apps as it was updating. As soon as I just put it down and let it finish everything was fine though.

If I've got one takeaway from this thread, it's to not bother with getting this phone through Moto Maker :p I think I'll be grabbing mine from Amazon and holding onto the receipt.

GrapeApes

No issues on my end. Phone did get warm during initial setup but nothing after since. I don't foresee that being a daily issue. Will most likely get a case for this since the back is a kinda slippery. Doesn't help that my hands seem to get a little moist. Just need to get my nano sim and I'll be good to go. No real complaints, would buy again.

got it. syncing up with my google account at the moment. can't really do much other than surf the web. llol

dMTewuA.jpg

CO5fKcFUwAAicJc.jpg:large

FZZ

Banned
Yeah phone is working flawlessly for me. Got the nano sim at Verizon and it registered everything within 30 seconds.

Phone hasn't even gotten close to hot since the initial set up. There was only one sound issue with a game I downloaded and I thought my speakers were busted, but every song and video I played sounded great so I assume it's an issue with the game itself and the compatibility with the phone.

Very happy with my purchase. Feel sorry for the people that had bad experiences, for what it's worth I got mine from Moto Maker and not Amazon.

Now to return the extra model they mailed me lol.

iamblades

Just ordered mine to replace my Nexus 5, after the leaks about the Nexus 5X, this seems like a better phone, and the new Nexus 6 is going to be way more expensive, so I figured what the hell.

Has anyone got a royal blue one yet? I got that color because it's my favorite team's color but on moto-maker it looks like a darker almost navy, but I've seen pictures in the hands-on events where it looks like the correct royal blue, just wondering which is accurate.

What collor is your back?
Turquoise. And metallic lemone accent. It actually looks great in person
And rubber bumper is shit. Not surprising. Gonna see what case I can get. I don't want to cover up the beautiful color even with a clear case it would make it ugly

Azriell

Are the only reasons not to get this phone Moto's CS and the hearing issue? I'm wanting to upgrade from my Nexus 5 but I'm not in a hurry, and I'm really liking this phone. Should I wait a few months for whatever issues to be worked out, or am I better of looking elsewhere?

Al-ibn Kermit

Are the only reasons not to get this phone Moto's CS and the hearing issue? I'm wanting to upgrade from my Nexus 5 but I'm not in a hurry, and I'm really liking this phone. Should I wait a few months for whatever issues to be worked out, or am I better of looking elsewhere?

I'm in the same boat and I'm leaning towards waiting for holidays in case there's an aggressive sale. N5 still runs decently.

RS4-

And rubber bumper is shit. Not surprising. Gonna see what case I can get. I don't want to cover up the beautiful color even with a clear case it would make it ugly

good lord that's a nice color. That's what I wanted for my Play.

joeposh

Right now I'm between getting this phone and the One Plus One. I was leaning toward the Moto X 2015, but now that I'm reading about this heating problem I'm not quite sure what to do again. OPO still seems like a great buy.

If you're looking for a phone that doesn't get hot, OPO is not the right choice. Any 3D intensive game gets the screen and camera area on the back baking. Also, the ghost touch issues that require you to root your phone and switch to either Oxygen OS or a nightly CM build are a nightmare.

I've been using the MXP since Friday, and while it does get a bit warm during intensive gaming sessions, it's not nearly as bad as the OPO. I have the bamboo back, which might help offset the heat a bit (no clue) and should note that I'm running exclusively on WiFi since my nano sim hasn't arrived yet. I'll see if my luck changes once I'm active on T-Mobile.

jwk94

Damnit. I should've gotten something darker. I got Turqoise too because I wanted something close to Violet. WIth how bad their customer service is, I'd rather not return mine.

joeposh

If you're looking for a phone that doesn't get hot, OPO is not the right choice. Any 3D intensive game gets the screen and camera area on the back baking. Also, the ghost touch issues that require you to root your phone and switch to either Oxygen OS or a nightly CM build are a nightmare.

I've been using the MXP since Friday, and while it does get a bit warm during intensive gaming sessions, it's not nearly as bad as the OPO. I have the bamboo back, which might help offset the heat a bit (no clue) and should note that I'm running exclusively on WiFi since my nano sim hasn't arrived yet. I'll see if my luck changes once I'm active on T-Mobile.

Got my SIM shortly after posting this. Been gaming and installing apps all night while alternating between T-Mobile LTE and WiFi, and my original assessment still holds: some heat during heavy gaming, but much tamer than my OPO with no noticeable impact on performance.

Got my SIM shortly after posting this. Been gaming and installing apps all night while alternating between T-Mobile LTE and WiFi, and my original assessment still holds: some heat during heavy gaming, but much tamer than my OPO with no noticeable impact on performance.

So strange that my OPO stays much cooler than the Moto X I got did. Maybe I'll get another one down the road to see if it was just a bad unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom